Plant markets turn a new leaf amid pandemic

Jonathan Fairfield

AA1A63FE-4492-45D6-B964-894B5FFF8E45.png

Gardening has bloomed during the lockdowns as people stuck at home have chosen to become plant parents. Instagram posts are full of green leaves and colorful flowers.

Joining the trend are leading celebrities who have turned to this soothing hobby during the pandemic. That’s seen demand for particular kinds of house plants and their prices soar, with the most coveted plant now commanding an eyewatering million baht and more.

Two weeks ago, a 41-year-old seller from Bangkok agreed to sell his Musa Siam Ruby, a banana plant with variegated leaves, to a 50-year-old plant collector and grower from Rayong province for an astounding 10 million baht. According to a news report, the plant is 150 cm tall and has seven leaves and three suckers. Standing in a modest black pot, it comes with stunning red ruby variegation on every leaf which marks it as “very rare”.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/plant-markets-turn-a-new-leaf-amid-pandemic/

Logo-top-.png

19 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Two weeks ago, a 41-year-old seller from Bangkok agreed to sell his Musa Siam Ruby, a banana plant with variegated leaves, to a 50-year-old plant collector and grower from Rayong province for an astounding 10 million baht.

I wonder how much I can get for my lawn weeds ?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

That’s seen demand for particular kinds of house plants and their prices soar, with the most coveted plant now commanding an eyewatering million baht and more.

I got some Daffy bulbs for sale... 

Bought one of these plants a few days ago for 6k while having breakfast. Sold the exact same plant that afternoon for 35k - 29 grand profit and I didn't even get my fingers dirty. ???? 

Mrs Djayz turned up her nose at 136k for a banana tree last week! 

The money people are paying for these is crazy! Could this be the Thai equivalent of the Dutch tulip bubble? 

• Like 1

Kratom saplings are suddenly a big hit.  I've got a nice red leaf variety with four more being shipped. We've got a nice place for them on some otherwise unused land.  Was gonna put in bananas, but kratom would do. 
Too bad Anutin lied about those 6 marijuana plants all Thai commoner were told they'd be able to grow like household herbs.  My wife would be growing those too.  But - the big guys don't like the commoner's to compete with their market share of the cannabis market.  Tie it up with so much regulatory mumbo-jumbo that average people can't participate. 

• Sad 2

On 10/10/2021 at 7:41 PM, connda said:

Kratom saplings are suddenly a big hit.  I've got a nice red leaf variety with four more being shipped. We've got a nice place for them on some otherwise unused land.  Was gonna put in bananas, but kratom would do. 
Too bad Anutin lied about those 6 marijuana plants all Thai commoner were told they'd be able to grow like household herbs.  My wife would be growing those too.  But - the big guys don't like the commoner's to compete with their market share of the cannabis market.  Tie it up with so much regulatory mumbo-jumbo that average people can't participate. 

Exactly, too bad they flat out lied and robbed the commoners of this promised economic opportunity. This is the promise which got them elected. How can people trust them again?