Thai Health Ministry to conduct random COVID-19 tests on students every two weeks

Jonathan Fairfield

000_1UE63F.jpeg

Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health will conduct random COVID-19 tests, using rapid antigen test kits (ATKs), on 10-15% of students every two weeks to boost their confidence in vaccination, said Deputy Government Spokesperson Ms. Ratchada Dhnadirek today (Saturday).

The ministry began the mass vaccination of students, aged 12-18, using the Pfizer mRNA vaccine, on October 7th, targeting 71% of students in this age group. So far, 3.8 million have registered to be inoculated and, by yesterday, 150,190 had been received their first jab, accounting for 3.3%, and 1,825 had received their second.

Ms. Ratchada said that she expects more students to register for inoculation.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-health-ministry-to-conduct-random-covid-19-tests-on-students-every-two-weeks/

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Logo-top-.png

The "powers" just don't appreciate the seriousness of this epidemic. Kids were much less susceptible to the original strain, but that has changed with the Delta, and a school environment is a veritable Petri dish for viral transmission.

I am concerned about the cardiac side effect reported in young men with the Pfizer mRNA "jab". Let just a few instances surface and watch hesitancy skyrocket. 

This has been reported as more prevalent after a second dose.

A mixed vaccine dosing schedule has shown some promise re: increased efficacy. I wonder if it might not prove salutary in the cardiomyopathy incidence, as well?

So many factors!

The cardio effects have been seen as rare and mostly self resolving in Western experience. I am concerned about the arguably less well educated public here, but recent reading about hesitancy and outright BS in the States and Oz may require re-assessment of that concern.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kwaibill said:

The "powers" just don't appreciate the seriousness of this epidemic. Kids were much less susceptible to the original strain, but that has changed with the Delta, and a school environment is a veritable Petri dish for viral transmission.

I am concerned about the cardiac side effect reported in young men with the Pfizer mRNA "jab". Let just a few instances surface and watch hesitancy skyrocket. 

This has been reported as more prevalent after a second dose.

A mixed vaccine dosing schedule has shown some promise re: increased efficacy. I wonder if it might not prove salutary in the cardiomyopathy incidence, as well?

So many factors!

The cardio effects have been seen as rare and mostly self resolving in Western experience. I am concerned about the arguably less well educated public here, but recent reading about hesitancy and outright BS in the States and Oz may require re-assessment of that concern.

One jab for the boys is what I have heard. I would like that confirmed though. Yes, I am concerned about this. My son is 14....right smack bang in the middle of 'potential' problems. He has been home for so bloody long.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, internationalism said:

it would not boost confidence if those students knew, that in Europe all are tested 2x per week.

So those 10-15% every 2 weeks is 30-40x less tests in comparison to advanced countries

They're cutting back on testing as they have to save up for chairs.

000_1UE63F.jpeg.004f782ae2a2dfc05639771036958d2c.jpg

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

One jab for the boys is what I have heard. I would like that confirmed though. Yes, I am concerned about this. My son is 14....right smack bang in the middle of 'potential' problems. He has been home for so bloody long.

One jab per Thai government plan?  May be okay from my reading of some doctor's thoughts.

Here's one guy I like who might have info helpful in making a decision with your son, if it is ok to post the link:

https://zdoggmd.com/myocarditis/

3 hours ago, internationalism said:

it would not boost confidence if those students knew, that in Europe all are tested 2x per week.

So those 10-15% every 2 weeks is 30-40x less tests in comparison to advanced countries

Not everywhere in Europe. In Finland there are no random tests at school at all. It's even difficult to get children tested if they have symptoms. Also quarantines of pupils are minimal.

Thailand seems more advanced right now.