Drifting Back

3 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Ever thought about asking someone high in the office you are dealing with what the want from you?

No point, someone high in the office may tell you different from another someone high in the same office, or the main person, the boss could be replaced by a new boss the following day, week, month or even year with different interpretations of the same rule.

This is Thailand.

• Haha 1

Thank you Jack and Joe. Previous to the extensions based on marriage done in country, I always exited every year and got a new visa....thus I could extend it by 90 days by ducking in and out of the country near the end of the visa. Alas, not now. But that was the reason for that particular question. It sounds like getting the new Non-O in the US would be easier than back here in Thailand. Is that a correct assessment? And still the money in the bank for that route? I have been doing the monthly transfers so I SHOULD be covered but from news I've seen on here, things are not always as they seem. That is a bit worrying. If I get the Non-O in the states, I suppose I am going to need some of my original paperwork there meaning I need to take it with me?

On my first extension last year, they nixed the home visit but I had to go to immigration with my witness who was put through the wringer. Luckily, she's as tough as day-old sticky rice.

Your help is always greatly appreciated people!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

That is a bit worrying. If I get the Non-O in the states, I suppose I am going to need some of my original paperwork there meaning I need to take it with me?

You only need scanned to copies to upload on the e visa site. No need to mail anything to the embassy or one of the 3 official consulates. It is all done online and your visa emailed to you.

See: https://thaievisa.go.th/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

No point, someone high in the office may tell you different from another someone high in the same office, or the main person, the boss could be replaced by a new boss the following day, week, month or even year with different interpretations of the same rule.

This is Thailand.

Never had a problem in Phuket, Surat Thani and Bangkok in the last 40 years, that is my Thailand.

Edited by FritsSikkink

1 minute ago, FritsSikkink said:

Never had a problem in Phuket, Surat Thani and Bangkok in the last 40 years, that is my Thailand.

I was accused of being on a 25 day overstay, I gave him, the IO, a real mouthful, his boss fixed it, and I never even got an apology.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You only need scanned to copies to upload on the e visa site. No need to mail anything to the embassy or one of the 3 official consulates. It is all done online and your visa emailed to you.

See: https://thaievisa.go.th/

Well gosh, that almost seems too easy. I've attached a screen shot of what the link you sent mentions as required documentation. It doesn't specify about which bank statement I need to show. I'm also looking at the New York consulate website (egads, it looks like it's from 1988) and it also fails to mention what I can use for proof of finances. I bring this up because it's a somewhat onerous affair when doing it in Thailand. I don't think I will be able to get a up to date statement from my Thai bank as I won't be in Thailand. I can't imagine trying to get that info from SCB over the phone. I can try calling the New York consulate once they open and ask.

How far in advance of my old Non-O visa expiration can I apply for the new Non-O visa, please?

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 1.18.36 PM.png

Just now, FritsSikkink said:

There you go, an attitude problem. You can fix things while talking normal.

If anyone raises their voice to me, then I will raise my voice back, IO or not, yes, I have an attitude, but it's not a problem.

I could never go through life being a member of the "scared of your own shadow" brigade.

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

If anyone raises their voice to me, then I will raise my voice back, IO or not, yes, I have an attitude, but it's not a problem.

I could never go through life being a member of the "scared of your own shadow" brigade.

Talking in a normal way doesn't mean you are scared. Shouting doesn't mean that you have any power.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FritsSikkink said:

Talking in a normal way doesn't mean you are scared. Shouting doesn't mean that you have any power.

If you allow people to talk down to you in a hostile manner and you don't retaliate, then yes, you are scared.

I bet that on an odd occasion, some IO probably has treated you in a hostile manner and you just accepted it, but each to his own.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BritTim said:

the reality is that you achieved (at best) only what you would have managed if able to keep your cool, while losing the respect of the Thais around you in the process.

I'm not sure Thai immigration officers respect any of their customers.

You can't lose what you never had.

My Thai wife had a full blown screaming, shouting, swearing meltdown at CM immigration one year. The result being the head of immigration took us into his office and processed my 1 year extension himself. She certainly didn't lose anything by showing extreme anger, and she went way beyond what any white guy would dare.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BritTim said:

There are a few officials where I believe this is genuinely true, often where the official has met with too many foreigners who act badly, and has the sense, as a result, that this reflects the character of all foreigners. However, in most cases, the worst you will experience (unless you initiate an argument) is an official who is bored silly and just wanting to get through the day so they can go home. It has been my experience that Thai officials are almost always polite, and often friendly.

Maybe you're right ........ they never speak to me as I always take a Thai lady along.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Maybe you're right ........ they never speak to me as I always take a Thai lady along.

Taking a Thai along can affect the way you are treated either positively or negatively. It depends on the sense the officials have of the status of the Thai. Thais are very status conscious. If they see your wife as "low class", they are liable to assume you are also. This is a genuine flaw in Thai society, and I would not blame you if it upsets you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Thais are very status conscious. If they see your wife as "low class", they are liable to assume you are also. This is a genuine flaw in Thai society, and I would not blame you if it upsets you.

I am low (working) class, my parents were a builder and a hairdresser.

My women have all been low class, nearly all farmers daughters.

Why would I pretend to be something other than I am?

As far as I can see police (and immigration) are low class as well.

• Like 1

It can be any bank statement that shows at least 20k baht or $700 in on it.

Wow....that's a hell of a lot easier than 12 months of 40k or 2 months of 400k. Thank you, Joe!

Oh....how far in advance of my current expiration can I make the new Non-O, please?

17 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Oh....how far in advance of my current expiration can I make the new Non-O, please?

I am sure your current non-o visa has expired already. If you mean a extension of stay issued by immigration it will end when you leave the country without a re-entry permit.

A single entry non-o visa only allows one 90 day entry to the country.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I am low (working) class, my parents were a builder and a hairdresser.

My women have all been low class, nearly all farmers daughters.

Why would I pretend to be something other than I am?

I consider "low" class and "working" class to be very different things An expensive education and posh accent give you a head start in life, but it does not define who you are. I have met people who have had to struggle all their lives financially who I am proud to be able to call my friends. On the other hand, I have come across HiSo Asians in night clubs whose behaviour marks them as the lowest of low class.

Certainly, there are many Thais who place too much emphasis on how much money you have (not only Thais are prone to this). However, your general deportment and behaviour count for a lot.

I am sure your current non-o visa has expired already. If you mean a extension of stay issued by immigration it will end when you leave the country without a re-entry permit.

A single entry non-o visa only allows one 90 day entry to the country.

True enough. Well, I could get a re-entry permit if I think I might come back before Dec. 28 when my extension expires, as I understand it. And then get the next extension via the normal way. But if it is as easy as it seems to get the Non-O via email while in the US, that almost makes more sense. Then I arrive with everything in order and a new Non-O.

• 2 months later...

I am now in the US and following the advice on here, I applied for an O visa via the website on Dec. 26. I got the approval sent to me the next morning: Non-imm O visa based on marriage with a 90 day stay. There was no option for a year, multiple entry visa. So once in country, I can apply for an extension toward the end of the 90 days? Or do I have to do the whole visa dance again?

Thank you, Bamboozled

7 hours ago, bamboozled said:

So once in country, I can apply for an extension toward the end of the 90 days? Or do I have to do the whole visa dance again?

You can apply for the one year extension of stay based upon marriage during the last 30 days of the 90 day stay you non-o visa allows. If using the 400k baht option it will have to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

• Like 1

You can apply for the one year extension of stay based upon marriage during the last 30 days of the 90 day stay you non-o visa allows. If using the 400k baht option it will have to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

Thank you. So am I starting from scratch at that point...meaning I have to do the whole application procedure again?

23 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Thank you. So am I starting from scratch at that point...meaning I have to do the whole application procedure again?

There is really not much difference between the first application and then the ones after that other than a home visit and/or witnesses.

If you have been on extensions before they might not do the home visit or want witnesses.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is really not much difference between the first application and then the ones after that other than a home visit and/or witnesses.

If you have been on extensions before they might not do the home visit or want witnesses.

I see, thank you. I guess I thought I was getting a year visa and getting to avoid immigration, similar to getting a new visa in Laos or Vietnam. Oh well!

3 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

I see, thank you. I guess I thought I was getting a year visa and getting to avoid immigration, similar to getting a new visa in Laos or Vietnam. Oh well!

There are a few embassies and official consulates that are still issuing a multiple entry non-o visa.

The problem with one now is doing border runs for the new 90 day entries. 

• Like 1