Ride-hailing services enter uncharted territory after new regulations take effect

webfact

ride-hailing-app-legalized-Thailand_web.jpg

Taxi drivers waiting for customers at Bangkok Railway Station, more commonly known as Hua Lamphong, in Bangkok. (Photo by Lillian SUWANRUMPHA / AFP)

Legalized ride-hailing taxi services, which start next month, will offer more choices, but both consumer satisfaction and drivers’ welfare are dependent on many variable factors in the post-COVID-19 scenario.

Technology disruption, consumer complaints about taxi services, and some confrontations between unregulated private taxi drivers and public taxi drivers have forced the Transport Ministry to come up with regulations.

The new rules are in line with the Cabinet resolution adopted in May allowing the use of personal cars for ride-hailing taxi services via apps, with seating limited to seven.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/ride-hailing-services-enter-uncharted-territory-after-new-regulations-take-effect/

Logo-top-.png

Good! It's about time the lousy cabs here had competition! When I lived in Thailand the thing I hated the worst was taking taxis. They were constantly trying to rip you off in a variety of ways, especially in the tourist areas like Nana and Soi Cowboy.

Uber had been discriminated against for awhile and now they've made it totally legal. I say it's about time!

It's a much more dependable and cost effective service.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brucegoniners said:

Good! It's about time the lousy cabs here had competition! When I lived in Thailand the thing I hated the worst was taking taxis. They were constantly trying to rip you off in a variety of ways, especially in the tourist areas like Nana and Soi Cowboy.

Uber had been discriminated against for awhile and now they've made it totally legal. I say it's about time!

It's a much more dependable and cost effective service.

Uber won't be coming. They've left the area. Whether I live, Grab is currently the same taxi drivers you see on the street anyway. Let's hope it expands to be more Uber+like -- especially with the pricing.

"Passengers have to pay a Bt20 fee for calling cabs. The fare starts at Bt40-150 depending on the type of vehicle, up from the current minimum Bt35 for public taxis."

How did the legalization of ride-hailing services somehow turn into a price increase? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

They were constantly trying to rip you off in a variety of ways, especially in the tourist areas like Nana and Soi Cowboy.

Jeez, at least you stood a chance of getting a meter turned on, no such luck in the Pattaya area. Delighted when Bolt came onto the scene. 

33 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Jeez, at least you stood a chance of getting a meter turned on, no such luck in the Pattaya area. Delighted when Bolt came onto the scene. 

100% agreement.  At one time Pattaya taxi drivers erected bill boards with prices to various places listed with no recourse to meters.  Needless to say Pattaya Plod have not prosecuted a single driver in over five years for failing to use his meter despite fights/riots with outsiders entering and touting for business.