Stuck with one dose of Pfizer vaccine. What options (if any?)

mommysboy

6 hours ago, arithai12 said:

The disapproving smileys (not from me) are probably because you come across as a person who is giving up without reason. They told you "maybe on 21st", why assume you won't get it? I know of several cases of people who went to the vaxx center at the end of the day, and managed to get a dose because somebody did not keep their appointment. Especially with Pfeizer that needs special temperature storage.

It would also help if you mentioned where you are based.

Good luck.

I haven't given up.  My name is still on the system, and the co-ordinator at the District Public Health Office has assured me he'll speak with me personally.

I got the first dose via a cancellation.  I actually got home, got the call, and was back at the centre in 30 minutes. 

But having been overlooked for the first dose due to an admin error, and then turning up for my second dose and finding the vaccination centre closed, I think  anybody would assume it aint going to happen.

So, I'm exploring other options in case.

It's been utterly rubbish for me. I guess some people can't stand hearing that, maybe.

Narrowing down your geographic location might yield more helpful info?

When did you get your first Pfizer dose?

28 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

My name is still on the system

What "system"?

28 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

the co-ordinator at the District Public Health Office has assured me he'll speak with me personally.

Yeah, I wouldn't sit on this, seek them out and get a commitment from them, or some options.

16 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Agree, did not hear back from Expatvac except message that I was successfully registered.

Me and all my mates got phone calls. It is important to answer all calls even ones for which you don't recognize the number. None of my mates, via expatvac, got emails or the like. 

Edited by VocalNeal

21 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Me and all my mates got phone calls. It is important to answer all calls even ones for which you don't recognize the number. None of my mates, via expatvac, got emails or the like. 

Yes, after not hearing anything more from Expatvac (after the initial affirmation that I was successfully registered), I sought further clarification here in Chiang Mai. I learned that the Honorary British Consul was working with a group of volunteers with the Chiang Mai Provincial Health Office. Through this contact, I was walked through registration on "the Chiang Mai Wall" and issued an immediate registration number (later required to present when the public notices went out giving information of when and where to report for the first shot of the Pfizer vaccine donation from the US. I was in the first group called as a matter of age and pre-existing conditions. Currently, they have announced 18 years and up for Pfizer first shots. Both the Honorary British Consul and the American Consulate has sent out the info.

Over 18s Pfizer Vaccination for Foreign Residents in Chiang Mai: Ticket Holders Only
Tuesday 19th October 2021
Vaccination Centre Promenada Mall
08:30-12:30 – Foreign Residents Over 25 Yrs Age (YOB 1996 or earlier) Ticket Holders Only
13:30 -14:30- Foreign Residents 18 - 24 Yrs Age (YOB 1997 - 2003) Ticket Holders Only
Please obtain free tickets via Eventbrite App at these links:
Foreign Residents Over 25 Yrs Age
Tickets available for following times:
08:30-09:30 09:30-10:30 10:30-11:30
11:30-12:30
Tickets available for following times:
13:30-14:30
Do not forget to bring to the vaccination your:
- Passport
- Eventbrite E-ticket
- Consent Form, filled in prior to arrival (see below).
Terms and Conditions Apply
This Pfizer vaccination is only for foreign residents in Chiang Mai who have never been vaccinated with any vaccine before
Only one ticket is allowed per person.
This vaccination is for expat foreign residents NOT migrant workers from Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos. Migrant workers will be vaccinated under a separate program.
You are advised to arrive 15 minutes before your ticket time. There is no need to arrive earlier than that.
In order to reduce delays for yourself and others, please could you:
1) Pre-register with Wall of Chiang Mai, if you have not already done so at: https://reboot.chiangmaihealth.go.th/CMCVR/ and note your 13 digit ID number.
2) Print out and fill in the Consent Form prior to arrival. Full address is not required only District and Sub-District. Form can be found at this link:
Chiang Mai Provincial Public Health Office would like to emphasize that this vaccination is only for individuals who have not previously been vaccinated. Registrations will be checked and fraud will lead to ineligibility for all future vaccinations from the Royal Thai Government.
All guidelines at the vaccinations will be strictly enforced, and customers eligible for vaccination must comply with the above criteria. Individuals who do not comply will be turned away and asked to wait for a later date.

I got my first and this far only Pfizer jab Feb of this year in the UK. My doctor in Thailand is keeping an eye out for any spare Moderna that might pop up shortly or longly.

Personally don't feel at risk at all just back from a school vaccination call where my son rec'd probably his one and only Pfizer jab. Plenty of folks milling around.

Been to 3 large temple gatherings in the last couple of weeks ????

I would relax and take it easy but that's just me ???? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Narrowing down your geographic location might yield more helpful info?

When did you get your first Pfizer dose?

What "system"?

Yeah, I wouldn't sit on this, seek them out and get a commitment from them, or some options.

Thanks great posting.  Well, Surat Thani Province is the main geographical location, in the sense that it is the vaccination hub.  I actually only live 15 minutes from the vaccine centres. Other areas such as Phuket require residence I think.

What system?..... Expatvac.  There are not any Intervac sites in the area- the nearest is Hua Hin.  There are no walk in centres.  Sinopharm is not available as a private purchase.   

I would willingly travel to Bangkok for instance, but Pfizer appears thin on the ground there too.

No, I am not sitting on this.  And yes, I would take another option such as Sinopharm/Sinovac (I am not at all fussy about which vaccine).  

9 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I got my first and this far only Pfizer jab Feb of this year in the UK. My doctor in Thailand is keeping an eye out for any spare Moderna that might pop up shortly or longly.

Personally don't feel at risk at all just back from a school vaccination call where my son rec'd probably his one and only Pfizer jab. Plenty of folks milling around.

Been to 3 large temple gatherings in the last couple of weeks ????

I would relax and take it easy but that's just me ???? 

Actually, I may already have had covid19.  My wife has had symptoms of long covid for a few months following a mild flu like illness we both suffered at the same time.  Curiously, she got a whole lot better recently after having her covid vaccine.

And yes, you're right... probably the best aspect of Pfizer is that it still gives a fair level of protection from just one dose (same AZ).

35 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Actually, I may already have had covid19.  My wife has had symptoms of long covid for a few months following a mild flu like illness we both suffered at the same time.  Curiously, she got a whole lot better recently after having her covid vaccine.

And yes, you're right... probably the best aspect of Pfizer is that it still gives a fair level of protection from just one dose (same AZ).

Yes just chill, I too think I may have had a dose of covid in the UK prior to the vaccination. I have had 5 tests for covid since the vaccination and all have come up clear, a good sign I think as have not taken any extra ordinary precautions, and did travel on a full aircraft from LON to BKK.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Yes just chill, I too think I may have had a dose of covid in the UK prior to the vaccination. I have had 5 tests for covid since the vaccination and all have come up clear, a good sign I think as have not taken any extra ordinary precautions, and did travel on a full aircraft from LON to BKK.

It's undoubtedly a serious concern in as much as it clearly kills a disturbing number of people in population terms, and we can't tell who is going to be the unlucky one who gets the dreaded cytokine storm.  However, there's only a slim risk for someone who is fit and healthy.

Staying fit is of some comfort to me- worth a vaccine shot by itself.  It's been a bit of a silver lining really- never done so much exercise in all my life; all the stretching and flexing too. 

19 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

It's undoubtedly a serious concern in as much as it clearly kills a disturbing number of people in population terms, and we can't tell who is going to be the unlucky one who gets the dreaded cytokine storm.  However, there's only a slim risk for someone who is fit and healthy.

Staying fit is of some comfort to me- worth a vaccine shot by itself.  It's been a bit of a silver lining really- never done so much exercise in all my life; all the stretching and flexing too. 

Staying fit another plus for you, keep it up, all good.

• Like 1

I did get my second dose, but only after being very pro-active.  Once again I was missed off the list.  To some extent, however I am very grateful to the people at the Surat Thani District Public Health Office for sorting the problem out, despite the utter incompetence of others, which continued right up to the issuance of the vaccination certificate, ie, guess who was left standing around waiting for his to arrive. But it was done, and the manager stood by my side while while it was being done.  

There seems to have been a not so small minority of people who despite being registered successfully simply did not appear on the vaccination lists.  And for us this made the whole experience a struggle from start to finish.  I guess it was just impossible (for some reason possibly only known to Expatvac) to correct the data error.

Hopefully, they've realized that it's best to handle vaccines in house, rather than outsource to others.  I certainly felt better being part of the Thai public system.

• Like 1