Changes to requirements for OA visa and extension ??

Can only agree.

Totally surprising that this insurance company knows something >I< (at least) haven't seen anywhere (regarding those who do extension in the country). Smells extremely fishy to me!

Edited by KhunBENQ

8 minutes ago, howerde said:

I thought this was only an idea, but the upshot will be everyone just switches to non o retirement

in present circumstances a difficult option ....once inside Thailand 

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Can only agree.

Totally surprising that this insurance company knows something >I< (at least) haven't seen anywhere (regarding those who do extension in the country). Smells extremely fishy to me!

The only positive in this is that it is for 1 September 2022 for all O-A , so a long term warning ahead

Quote out of that article :

"Foreigners currently residing in Thailand under a Long Stay visa have until 31st August 2022 to apply for a visa extension under the previous regulations....." 

Edited by david555

The all out assault  on OA visa holders/extenders marches on. I extdened mine today fuming as the IO hit me with a new for this year "we need your insurance card also". Even after providing the original cert from LMG and having verified its in the database. Finally he says "OK but make sure you bring it next time" Next time there'll be no OA visa. Boggles the mind. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, howerde said:

I thought this was only an idea, but the upshot will be everyone just switches to non o retirement

Yes, I had prepared to dump my OA extension (leave with no re-entry permit) March 2020 and visit a consulate in the U.K. for an O visa. Of course Covid19 put paid to that and it is not so simple anymore.

Hoping that in March 2022 I can get back on track.

15 hours ago, tonray said:

The all out assault  on OA visa holders/extenders marches on. I extdened mine today fuming as the IO hit me with a new for this year "we need your insurance card also". Even after providing the original cert from LMG and having verified its in the database. Finally he says "OK but make sure you bring it next time" Next time there'll be no OA visa. Boggles the mind. 

Yup, how they can justify the 40/400k and now contemplating Covid19 insurance for OA/extenders only is simply mystifying.

Renewed my extension about a month ago, they made no mention of the insurance, of course it could be that they saw it in the database and was okay with just that but I very much doubt it, I seriously think they forgot about it.

Last year when they asked to see it I gave them the whole policy , and associated bumf, still in the envelope from LMG, the IO gave a halfhearted impression of looking through it !!

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yup, how they can justify the 40/400k and now contemplating Covid19 insurance for OA/extenders only is simply mystifying.

Renewed my extension about a month ago, they made no mention of the insurance, of course it could be that they saw it in the database and was okay with just that but I very much doubt it, I seriously think they forgot about it.

Last year when they asked to see it I gave them the whole policy , and associated bumf, still in the envelope from LMG, the IO gave a halfhearted impression of looking through it !!

What office might I ask ?

On 10/12/2021 at 12:33 AM, KhunBENQ said:

Can only agree.

I am applying for a new OA in the US soon. No idea about extensions, I was going to renew my OA compliant policy at a discount. Days ago I was emailed by my Insurance agent in Thailand that from Oct 1 the coverage requirements are for  "Inpatient + Outpatient $ 100,000USD or about 3,300,000 Baht"

So now I need to pay for a different redundant policy at higher cost. As I have been saying covid-19 is just the thin end of the wedge. Dubius $100,000 coverage (including corona) to be in Thailand is permanent.

12 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

I am applying for a new OA in the US soon. No idea about extensions, I was going to renew my OA compliant policy at a discount. Days ago I was emailed by my Insurance agent in Thailand that from Oct 1 the coverage requirements are for  "Inpatient + Outpatient $ 100,000USD or about 3,300,000 Baht"

So now I need to pay for a different redundant policy at higher cost. As I have been saying covid-19 is just the thin end of the wedge. Dubius $100,000 coverage (including corona) to be in Thailand is permanent.

Did they give you any figures as to the cost this $100k coverage would set you back ?

I have been expecting something like this once the US$ 100,000 Covid insurance requirement for reentry was begun.  I've been preparing to bail on Thailand as soon as the cost of redundant and worthless insurance becomes untenable.  I'll see what the cost turns out to be when my permission to stay extension comes around and decide then.

• Like 1