O-A visa Health Insurance

Just now, Alphim said:

If I come into Thailand on a Non O visa and wish to extend it for a yearly O visa I  still have to have 400K in the bank for 2 months?

400k if you will extend based on marriage to a Thai. 800K if you will extend based on retirement.

This is if using the money in the bank method to qualify. There is also an income method whereby (for retirement) you have to show transfer of at least 65Kbaht form abroad every month.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

This can only be done for the initial visa. It can not be done for in-country extensions of stay. And there is no approved Thai insurer who will newly issue a policy to someone over the age of 75.

For which reason the O-A visa is best avoided by people planning to live in Thailand full-time. It remains viable for people wanting to split their time between their home country and Thailand e.g. so-called "snowbirds". In that scenario they will have to keep getting new OA visas every two years.

OP consider getting a non-O rather than O-A visa as there is no insurance requirement for in-country extensions of stay based on an original O visa.

Thanks Sheryl, is the Luma Policy not approved. Do you think most of the ex-pats in Thailand stay on a Non O as opposed to O-A?

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

400k if you will extend based on marriage to a Thai. 800K if you will extend based on retirement.

This is if using the money in the bank method to qualify. There is also an income method whereby (for retirement) you have to show transfer of at least 65Kbaht form abroad every month.

And for retirement Thb800k, no need to state/show income?

1 minute ago, Alphim said:

Thanks Sheryl, is the Luma Policy not approved. Do you think most of the ex-pats in Thailand stay on a Non O as opposed to O-A?

There are 17 companies on the approved list, LUMA is not one of them. See here https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

Yes, far more expats live here on extensions of Non ) than on Non O-A. The O-A has not existed for as long and is unpopular precisely because of this very badly designed insurance requirement.

• Like 1

Just now, Alphim said:

And for retirement Thb800k, no need to state/show income?

Correct.

Actually there are 3 methods:

- 800K in the bank (with restrictions on spending it - must be in the bank 2 months before extension, then stay at 800K 3 months after, then not less than 400K for 5 months then back to 800K 2 months before next extension - so by far simplest and safest to just keep 800K at all times in a separate account for this purpose).

- Monthly income: must be at least 65K and must be able to show you brought it in from abroad every month.

- "Combination method" - you keep an amount less than 800K in the bank and then make up the difference in monthly transfers. Not all Imm Offices accept this method.

Note that in all cases the balances must be exact, even 1 baht under will cause a problem (sometimes happens to people due to bank fees or currency flunctuations).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alphim said:

I have travelled on a Non Imm O visa for years but only staying in Thailand for the allowed 90 days.

Now I want to, stay for longer periods, hence the idea of a long term visa. The reason I am thinking about the O-A is that I've read that getting the O Visa is more complex, officials visiting the house, photos have to be taken, maps drawn to show the way to get to the house etc. etc. etc. What are your thoughts?

Extensions of stay for purpose of retirement are the same for either Non-O or Non-OA, EXCEPT for the health insurance requirement for Non-OA.

So all the things you mention in regard to it being complex, officials visiting the house, photos have to be taken, maps drawn, etc.  can be true depending on your immigration office, but they are SAME for all retirement extensions (whether based on Non-O or Non-OA).  I've been doing retirement extensions in Phuket for years and at this point it doesn't seem all that complex to me, and officials have never visited my house.  Last year I honestly forgot to bring photos of me in front of my house and a map to show the way to my house and nothing was mentioned about that.  I will bring those things next year for my extension of stay application because they are supposedly a requirement, whether they want them or not is up to them.

The difference between Non-O and Non-OA extensions is only the health insurance requirement.  If a non-O is available to you in your home country I would strongly recommend that over a non-OA.  If it's not available in your home country I would consider arriving in Thailand visa-exempt or with a Tourist Visa and applying for a Non-O visa inside of Thailand at the immigration office.

The process for getting your Non-O or Non-OA visa is different and how they work when you enter Thailand is different, but once you've been in Thailand and want to start applying for extensions of stay for the purpose of retirement they are basically identical (except for the previously noted requirement to have immigration approved medical insurance for the the Non-OA and there being no such requirement for the Non-O).

If you never want to have to bring your money into Thailand to get your extension of stay you can avoid that entirely by getting new Non-OA visas from your home country every 2 years or so (if you are able to re-enter Thailand just before your visa expires). But that requires you to have immigration approved medical insurance.  And it requires that you leave and re-enter Thailand just before your visa expires in order to get a year's permission to stay.

I don't have a problem with having 800k baht in a Thai savings account earning 1.0% APR interest while the rest of my money is invested back in my home country earning a much higher return.  I also like that I never have to leave Thailand if I don't want to.  In other words, I don't have to travel outside Thailand to accomplish any needed immigration business (don't have to return to my home country to get a new Non-OA visa, for example).  Of course, I can travel outside Thailand if I want to merely by getting a re-entry permit (1,000 baht for single, 3,800 baht for multiple) but I really like that I don't have to.  Travel for the purpose of satisfying immigration rules never made any sense to me and I'm lucky with the retirement extensions that I don't have to do that.  Having my medical insurance wrapped up with my permission to stay in Thailand also never made any sense to me and I'm lucky with the retirement extension (based on a Non-O) that I don't have to do that.

• Thanks 1

Contact Pacific Prime in Bangkok. They can set you up. They helped me no end, from go to whoa i.e. sorting through what coverage was wanted and needed, extras, etc etc.

As some have noted here already, there are international insurers you can get insured with. I took mine from Australia before I retired in LOS. 

There are a a fair-few of the big international world insurers who will cover you at your age for pretty much the entire world except the US (that's not unusual for international insurers). Most of these big boy underwriters are recognised by all the decent hospitals, and are recognised by the Thai govt/IO rules - even the provincial large hospitals. 

Premium will cost more of course but hey insurance, is insurance. I pay what I consider a very fair amount for Platinum coverage and impeccable service.

Remember there are insurers and there are insurers! Getting in-country advise from someone like the above agents will ensure you get a policy that is honoured in LOS, and secure bot here and the world.

You can do your research while at home of the offered policies to check the underwriters. But, big boys like Cigna, Aetna, Allianz etc are huge and loved by hospitals as they always pay promptly.

If you have pee-poor underwriters your paying for trouble when it comes to actually claim, something that nobody wants especially if you are very ill or badly injured.

You can set this up from anywhere in the world for living in Thailand, easy peasy, so its in place for your OA application, travel coverage, and your emigration into LOS. Mine works wherever I am; for out-of-LOS holidays, everywhere, till I die, no cut off age like some underwriters do.

7 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Contact Pacific Prime in Bangkok. They can set you up. They helped me no end, from go to whoa i.e. sorting through what coverage was wanted and needed, extras, etc etc.

As some have noted here already, there are international insurers you can get insured with. I took mine from Australia before I retired in LOS. 

There are a a fair-few of the big international world insurers who will cover you at your age for pretty much the entire world except the US (that's not unusual for international insurers). Most of these big boy underwriters are recognised by all the decent hospitals, and are recognised by the Thai govt/IO rules - even the provincial large hospitals. 

Premium will cost more of course but hey insurance, is insurance. I pay what I consider a very fair amount for Platinum coverage and impeccable service.

Remember there are insurers and there are insurers! Getting in-country advise from someone like the above agents will ensure you get a policy that is honoured in LOS, and secure bot here and the world.

You can do your research while at home of the offered policies to check the underwriters. But, big boys like Cigna, Aetna, Allianz etc are huge and loved by hospitals as they always pay promptly.

If you have pee-poor underwriters your paying for trouble when it comes to actually claim, something that nobody wants especially if you are very ill or badly injured.

You can set this up from anywhere in the world for living in Thailand, easy peasy, so its in place for your OA application, travel coverage, and your emigration into LOS. Mine works wherever I am; for out-of-LOS holidays, everywhere, till I die, no cut off age like some underwriters do.

Thank you, I am touch with Prime, they seem professional and efficient.

7 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

I entered with an O-A Visa for Retirement a decade ago. Awaiting a change to an O Visa ASAP so I do not have the useless insurance requirement (due to age 74 and pre-existing conditions that insurance will decline to pay for, I suspect). 11,400 baht annually ... on top of any associated Extension cost.

Thank you, I am having a re-think about the O-A, perhaps I'll go for the O.

What is the 11,400 baht annually you are talking about.

9 hours ago, skatewash said:

Extensions of stay for purpose of retirement are the same for either Non-O or Non-OA, EXCEPT for the health insurance requirement for Non-OA.

So all the things you mention in regard to it being complex, officials visiting the house, photos have to be taken, maps drawn, etc.  can be true depending on your immigration office, but they are SAME for all retirement extensions (whether based on Non-O or Non-OA).  I've been doing retirement extensions in Phuket for years and at this point it doesn't seem all that complex to me, and officials have never visited my house.  Last year I honestly forgot to bring photos of me in front of my house and a map to show the way to my house and nothing was mentioned about that.  I will bring those things next year for my extension of stay application because they are supposedly a requirement, whether they want them or not is up to them.

The difference between Non-O and Non-OA extensions is only the health insurance requirement.  If a non-O is available to you in your home country I would strongly recommend that over a non-OA.  If it's not available in your home country I would consider arriving in Thailand visa-exempt or with a Tourist Visa and applying for a Non-O visa inside of Thailand at the immigration office.

The process for getting your Non-O or Non-OA visa is different and how they work when you enter Thailand is different, but once you've been in Thailand and want to start applying for extensions of stay for the purpose of retirement they are basically identical (except for the previously noted requirement to have immigration approved medical insurance for the the Non-OA and there being no such requirement for the Non-O).

If you never want to have to bring your money into Thailand to get your extension of stay you can avoid that entirely by getting new Non-OA visas from your home country every 2 years or so (if you are able to re-enter Thailand just before your visa expires). But that requires you to have immigration approved medical insurance.  And it requires that you leave and re-enter Thailand just before your visa expires in order to get a year's permission to stay.

I don't have a problem with having 800k baht in a Thai savings account earning 1.0% APR interest while the rest of my money is invested back in my home country earning a much higher return.  I also like that I never have to leave Thailand if I don't want to.  In other words, I don't have to travel outside Thailand to accomplish any needed immigration business (don't have to return to my home country to get a new Non-OA visa, for example).  Of course, I can travel outside Thailand if I want to merely by getting a re-entry permit (1,000 baht for single, 3,800 baht for multiple) but I really like that I don't have to.  Travel for the purpose of satisfying immigration rules never made any sense to me and I'm lucky with the retirement extensions that I don't have to do that.  Having my medical insurance wrapped up with my permission to stay in Thailand also never made any sense to me and I'm lucky with the retirement extension (based on a Non-O) that I don't have to do that.

Thanks for the explanation, as the O visa is available to me I will probably go that way.

10 hours ago, Alphim said:

I have travelled on a Non Imm O visa for years but only staying in Thailand for the allowed 90 days.

Now I want to, stay for longer periods, hence the idea of a long term visa. The reason I am thinking about the O-A is that I've read that getting the O Visa is more complex, officials visiting the house, photos have to be taken, maps drawn to show the way to get to the house etc. etc. etc. What are your thoughts?

I had no problems with all that paperwork because I used an agent

41 minutes ago, Alphim said:

The requirements for the O and OA visa are different but once you are on a yearly extension they are exactly the same EXCEPT for:

Since October 2019 renewal of an OA permission to stay now requires a mandatory health insurance , the cheapest currently is LMG starting at 6,000 baht up to 11,400 baht depending on age.

So, initially the OA visa was advantageous in that you could get 2 years from it and the 800k baht requirement did not have to be held in a Thai bank, some expats would get a new OA visa in their home countries every 2 years.

Now with the addition of the mandatory health insurance the OA has lost it’s advantage and many have dumped the OA in favour of an O. 

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Alphim said:

O-A Visa holders must have required insurance. Currently, the same people having an O Visa are not required to have this health coverage. So, my plan is to exit Thailand and re-enter Visa Exempt, then seek an O Visa for reason of retirement. The 11,400 baht is the lowest cost (200,000 baht deductible) Thai insurance meeting the minimums of 40K out patient, 400K in patient coverage.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

So, my plan is to exit Thailand and re-enter Visa Exempt, then seek an O Visa for reason of retirement.

Good plan.

Depending on when your current permission of stay ends you could consider doing one more extension with the required insurance. 

In time when land borders open the border bounce and enter visa exempt would be easy option to obtain your new non O.

• Like 2

I just read an insurance ( big company) advert that long term visa requirement change for health insurance next year :

————-

From October 1st applicants for this visa need health insurance or government welfare with a minimum coverage of US $100,000 or around three million baht for medical expenses and costs related to the treatment of Covid-19.

Previously visa applicants were only required to have health insurance in Thailand with a minimum coverage of 40,000 Thai baht for outpatient medical treatment and 400,000 for in-patient

Anyone heard the same info . The advert is on this website 

1 hour ago, Alotoftravel said:

I just read an insurance ( big company) advert that long term visa requirement change for health insurance next year :

————-

From October 1st applicants for this visa need health insurance or government welfare with a minimum coverage of US $100,000 or around three million baht for medical expenses and costs related to the treatment of Covid-19.

Previously visa applicants were only required to have health insurance in Thailand with a minimum coverage of 40,000 Thai baht for outpatient medical treatment and 400,000 for in-patient

Yeah, I started this thread about it, UbonJoe commented.

Short story: been mentioned before but not approved yet.

My opinion: time to dump that OA retirement extension!!

2 hours ago, Alotoftravel said:

————From October 1st applicants for this visa need health insurance or government welfare with a minimum coverage of US $100,000 or around three million baht for medical expenses and costs related to the treatment of Covid-19.

I am about to ask COE online + No Imm. O visa 90 days retirement by  Rome Embassy.   It wants two insurances 40000/400000 + $100.000  (is it right ?)

1 hour ago, mauroest said:

I am about to ask COE online + No Imm. O visa 90 days retirement by  Rome Embassy.   It wants two insurances 40000/400000 + $100.000  (is it right ?)

It's not a question of it being right.. If that's what the Rome Embassy wants then that's what you must provide 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Alotoftravel said:

————-

I heard it was due to be announced, officially, next week.

13 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

O-A Visa holders must have required insurance. Currently, the same people having an O Visa are not required to have this health coverage. So, my plan is to exit Thailand and re-enter Visa Exempt, then seek an O Visa for reason of retirement. The 11,400 baht is the lowest cost (200,000 baht deductible) Thai insurance meeting the minimums of 40K out patient, 400K in patient coverage.

Can you get an O Visa based on retirement? it seems though that at present it is moot, supposed to be changes coming.

23 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The requirements for the O and OA visa are different but once you are on a yearly extension they are exactly the same EXCEPT for:

Since October 2019 renewal of an OA permission to stay now requires a mandatory health insurance , the cheapest currently is LMG starting at 6,000 baht up to 11,400 baht depending on age.

So, initially the OA visa was advantageous in that you could get 2 years from it and the 800k baht requirement did not have to be held in a Thai bank, some expats would get a new OA visa in their home countries every 2 years.

Now with the addition of the mandatory health insurance the OA has lost it’s advantage and many have dumped the OA in favour of an O. 

And probably a few more shortly

On 10/17/2021 at 8:08 AM, Sheryl said:

That may be, but as explained, they are not on the approved list for O-A visa.

Sorry Sheryl, I must have missed that bit. What about the new changes that apparently were announced today announced?

On 10/15/2021 at 12:53 PM, Alphim said:

It is less complex, in my experience. No visiting or photos. Map is simple drawing of home location that takes two minutes. I have never used an agent, but if it seems too complex, please use one.