Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Good day,

 

I intend to apply for a O-A visa, retirement, in the near future. Everything is in place, bank acc.

criminal record clearance. Now for the Health Insurance part.

I am 78 years old and have notice that the few adverts I've seen stipulate 'up to 75 years of age'.

My request is, can anyone please recommend a local insurance company that can offer a policy to suit my needs.

I say 'local company' as from what I've seen the US/Euro companies are very expensive, with their deductibles and what have you. I should think local companies could offer lower costs. I have a very comprehensive medical insurance in South Africa, at a much lower cost.

Hoping somebody can advise, in anticipation, Thank you.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Double check if you can get an O visa before arrival.  The O visa does not at the moment require full insurance.  The USA Thai embassies recently added the ability to get an O visa in addition the pre

It is worthwhile noting for anyone thinking about obtaining an OA visa ,and the mandatory health insurance that is required , that the cost of insurance is dependent on your age.   See circl

An alternative way around the requirement for 400k baht inpatient and 40k outpatient medical coverage is to come into Thailand on a Non-O (not Non-OA) visa.  Or come into Thailand on a visa-exempt ent

Posted Images

If I recall correctly all the allowed Thai companies have a maximum age of 75 to issue the insurance.

Check the companies here. https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

If your existing insurance covers you while here and it meets the 400k baht in patient requirement and the 40k baht outpatient requirement you can use it for the OA visa.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He is asking about the insurance for a OA visa application.

We were informed by an insurer that these requirements changed on October 1st.

This could mean the standard 100,000 USD covid policy that TGIA offers also meets the O-A visa requirements.

 

Edited by ThaiVisaCentre
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If I recall correctly all the allowed Thai companies have a maximum age of 75 to issue the insurance.

Check the companies here. https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

If your existing insurance covers you while here and it meets the 400k baht in patient requirement and the 40k baht outpatient requirement you can use it for the OA visa.

Thank you ubonjoe, I see Aetna offer policies to max. age of 80, possibly there are more.

My South Africa insurance is good for Thailand but only for 90 days. For the O-A visa I have to get 12 month coverage. Thanks again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TimBKK said:

https://www.aainsure.net

 

Lots of good reports in various threads here; I had Jenny from AA help me with O-A insurance, she was great.

 

12 hours ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

TGIA is our recommended option for those over 75, and need to meet the entry requirements.

https://asq.in.th/thailand-covid-insurance

Thank you, I'll get in touch with them.

 

12 hours ago, TimBKK said:

https://www.aainsure.net

 

Lots of good reports in various threads here; I had Jenny from AA help me with O-A insurance, she was great.

Thank you, I will get in touch with them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Also get the starting date of your insurance to be the date that you will enter Thailand.   When you go to extend your stay they will only extend it to the day your insurance expires if it is less than 12 months.  I think that would also apply to your initial arrival.  Like if you had only 10 months left on your policy they would give you 10 months entry instead of 12.

 

Of course since you would be entering on an O-A you have the option of leaving and entering again before the visa expires to restart your 12 month approval for staying in Thailand.   That has been quite abit more complicated during Covid but looks to be easing somewhat now.

Edited by rwill
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

Double check if you can get an O visa before arrival.  The O visa does not at the moment require full insurance.  The USA Thai embassies recently added the ability to get an O visa in addition the previously already available O A visa. 

 

  Or consider getting O visa after getting to Thailand as many do.  But still getting no insurance is not a good idea

Yes, you can think having medical insurance is the best thing in the world and still not want to be under the immigration department's health insurance mandate.  40k outpatient coverage is an expensive and rather bizarre requirement.  Also, the hoop jumping to make sure your insurance starts/stops when it's convenient for the immigration department rather than you.  You don't have to be anti-insurance to not want to participate with the immigration department's medical insurance mandate.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If I recall correctly all the allowed Thai companies have a maximum age of 75 to issue the insurance.

Check the companies here. https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

If your existing insurance covers you while here and it meets the 400k baht in patient requirement and the 40k baht outpatient requirement you can use it for the OA visa.

Yes.  It is possible to use your home insurance.  There was a form or certification that had to be signed by two agents or big wigs of the company, then approved by Thai officials.  A few people have posted here they successfully were able to do that and their home insurance cooperated and the Thai officials approved it.  Investigate that angle

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Of course, a non-O has different financial requirements than a non-OA

for extensions, the financials are identical

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The amount is the same but the proof of it and where the money can be is different.

for extensions in country ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, tonray said:

for extensions, the financials are identical

Yes, I expressed that badly.  I was referring to the fact that during the validity of the non-OA visa you don't have to meet financial requirements in Thailand.  Once you go on extensions of stay, regardless of whether a non-O or non-OA, the financial requirements in Thailand are identical.  Thanks for the opportunity to clarify that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Alphim said:

Thank you ubonjoe, I see Aetna offer policies to max. age of 80, possibly there are more.

My South Africa insurance is good for Thailand but only for 90 days. For the O-A visa I have to get 12 month coverage. Thanks again. 

Just checked Aetna website for expats which says age restriction is 65 and stops at 70

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, drtreelove said:

Inquire with AA about "LUMA Long Stay Care" . Enrollment up to 80 yo. 

Thanks D, I'm in touch with them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The amount is the same but the proof of it and where the money can be is different.

If the 400k or 800k stays in the bank, fixed deposit for instance, then there can be no queries?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Just checked Aetna website for expats which says age restriction is 65 and stops at 70

I think Aetna are the brokers, they offer Luma Policies

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, skatewash said:

Yes, you can think having medical insurance is the best thing in the world and still not want to be under the immigration department's health insurance mandate.  40k outpatient coverage is an expensive and rather bizarre requirement.  Also, the hoop jumping to make sure your insurance starts/stops when it's convenient for the immigration department rather than you.  You don't have to be anti-insurance to not want to participate with the immigration department's medical insurance mandate.

I have travelled on a Non Imm O visa for years but only staying in Thailand for the allowed 90 days.

Now I want to, stay for longer periods, hence the idea of a long term visa. The reason I am thinking about the O-A is that I've read that getting the O Visa is more complex, officials visiting the house, photos have to be taken, maps drawn to show the way to get to the house etc. etc. etc. What are your thoughts?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

Yes.  It is possible to use your home insurance.  There was a form or certification that had to be signed by two agents or big wigs of the company, then approved by Thai officials.  A few people have posted here they successfully were able to do that and their home insurance cooperated and the Thai officials approved it.  Investigate that angle

Thanks gk, any idea from where I can get such certification?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

Yes.  It is possible to use your home insurance.  There was a form or certification that had to be signed by two agents or big wigs of the company, then approved by Thai officials.  A few people have posted here they successfully were able to do that and their home insurance cooperated and the Thai officials approved it.  Investigate that angle

 

This can only be done for the initial visa. It can not be done for in-country extensions of stay. And there is no approved Thai insurer who will newly issue a policy to someone over the age of 75.

 

For which reason the O-A visa is best avoided by people planning to live in Thailand full-time. It remains viable for people wanting to split their time between their home country and Thailand e.g. so-called "snowbirds". In that scenario they will have to keep getting new OA visas every two years.

 

OP consider getting a non-O rather than O-A visa as there is no insurance requirement for in-country extensions of stay based on an original O visa.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Alphim said:

I have travelled on a Non Imm O visa for years but only staying in Thailand for the allowed 90 days.

Now I want to, stay for longer periods, hence the idea of a long term visa. The reason I am thinking about the O-A is that I've read that getting the O Visa is more complex, officials visiting the house, photos have to be taken, maps drawn to show the way to get to the house etc. etc. etc. What are your thoughts?

 

This is true only if you do an extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai (in which case it is true regardless of whether your original visa was O or O-A).

 

If extension of stay is based on retirement the requirements are the same regardless of original visa type. Some Imm Offices want a map and pictures, some do not. Home visits would be unusual.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Alphim said:

I think Aetna are the brokers, they offer Luma Policies

No, Aetna is an insurer.

 

None of the Immigration-approved local policies are available to someone your age.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, skatewash said:

An alternative way around the requirement for 400k baht inpatient and 40k outpatient medical coverage is to come into Thailand on a Non-O (not Non-OA) visa.  Or come into Thailand on a visa-exempt entry or a Tourist Visa and apply for the non-O in Thailand.  The advantage is that the non-O and extensions of the same don't impose the mandatory insurance requirement.

Of course, a non-O has different financial requirements than a non-OA.  800k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 65k baht income per month for a non-O extension.  But it gets you out from under the health insurance mandate.  Of course, you can have whatever medical insurance you want to have that meets your needs but you don't need to meet the immigration mandate.

If I come into Thailand on a Non O visa and wish to extend it for a yearly O visa I  still have to have 400K in the bank for 2 months?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...