Tv Friday Nights Out

bazmlb

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bt 890 I saw the other day on Pattaya Klang.

Much cheaper in Cambodia, around Bt600 for a litre not the Thai 70cl. About half price.

For REAL Jack?

Which way is Cambodia?

kdf

At six in the morning there is a bus (72 or 74 if I remember) that goes South from Sukhumvit/Pattaya Klang to Trat.

Thgen a minibus to the Koh Kong border post.

Then a motor-cy ride over the new bridge (well it was new five years ago!) to the town of Koh Kong.

Open market there where you may get even better bargains (or just coloured water?).

Leap back onto your trusty m/c taxi, head for the border, pay your 1,000 baht for visa and catch the mini-bus back to Trat.

If you are lucky you will be able to catch the bus back to Pattaya that same day.

(Otherwise there are a couple of places you can stay overnight - but it's better to sleep on the street)

Cost of bus there and back, around 150 baht.

Cost of minibus 2 x 100 baht

Cost of crossing the border 1,200 baht

Cost of moto-cy taxi - 2 x 50 baht.

You would therefore have to bring back five litres to break even - plus one for the customs guy - so another three to affset that one. So now you need two for the customs guy, so yet another three to offset that.

You are now so far over the limit that they've got to arrest you or confiscate the lot.

Easier to go to Foodland.

Or go to Friendship and tell them that Foodland is selling it cheap. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Much cheaper in Cambodia, around Bt600 for a litre not the Thai 70cl. About half price.

For REAL Jack?

Which way is Cambodia?

kdf

Yes, for real Jack.

Now you can get some kind people who are doing visa runs and not buying anything for themselves to help you out and bring a litre back for you. At Daeung (SP) where the Sportsman and Witherspoons send their border runs, you can get a litre of Jack for Bt600 so the maths works like this:

Bt900 / 700ml = 1.29

1000ml * 1.29 = Bt1290

Real price is Bt600 = 46.5% of the Thai price.

So you effectively save Bt600 or actually Bt690 per litre to offset the cost of going there. You can actually go over the border without going through immigration and not bother with the Cambodian visa.

I used to get loads brought back but they stop buses a lot more now so I stick to 1 litre per person unless I know them then maybe 2 litres. I've heard the fine is 10 times the tax which if it was Bt500 per bottle would cost Bt5000 fine per bottle.

For REAL Jack?

Which way is Cambodia?

kdf

At six in the morning there is a bus (72 or 74 if I remember) that goes South from Sukhumvit/Pattaya Klang to Trat.

Thgen a minibus to the Koh Kong border post.

Then a motor-cy ride over the new bridge (well it was new five years ago!) to the town of Koh Kong.

Open market there where you may get even better bargains (or just coloured water?).

Leap back onto your trusty m/c taxi, head for the border, pay your 1,000 baht for visa and catch the mini-bus back to Trat.

If you are lucky you will be able to catch the bus back to Pattaya that same day.

(Otherwise there are a couple of places you can stay overnight - but it's better to sleep on the street)

Cost of bus there and back, around 150 baht.

Cost of minibus 2 x 100 baht

Cost of crossing the border 1,200 baht

Cost of moto-cy taxi - 2 x 50 baht.

You would therefore have to bring back five litres to break even - plus one for the customs guy - so another three to affset that one. So now you need two for the customs guy, so yet another three to offset that.

You are now so far over the limit that they've got to arrest you or confiscate the lot.

Easier to go to Foodland.

Or go to Friendship and tell them that Foodland is selling it cheap. Maybe you'll get lucky.

AAARRRGGGHH, thanks for the travelogue.

Foodland it is!

kdf

I wanted to thank everyone for my birthday party at the Friday Pissup.

I was well and truly surprised by the event. This was probably evident to all who saw my stunned grinning expression, inane mumbling, shocked stagger and well....l come to think of it most of you probably just thought I started celebrating early. I have often been the organizer of such events but seldom the recipient. It was wonderful and very important to me.

Special thanks to Basset, Mamanoodles, and Begs for the last minute much appreciated setup, humongous Avatar lurking hither and yon, public announcement of my antiquity, good food ( I really liked the kebabs), card, liquid lunch(read Jack), but mostly for your company. Rdrockit and Katae thanks for your company and every time I sip on your gift I will think of you both wherever. Figure on 2 days tops. Barry good to see you as always and nice to meet Thai and Love. I also want to thank Raro and New, Screws + 2, Monti, and the nice guy whose wife is a lawyer and the lawyer herself for being welcome participants in the festivities.

sincere Thanks

kdf

oh well...I skipped Aikido classes today and the only cure was found in the fridge in handy 0.33 l dosages...a remarkle evening of some sorts...

/edit: and thanks from the wife who also enjoyed the evening a lot!

/edit again: that was a TV night out as in the good old days...members and the wifes came along and we had a great time!

Edited by raro

I wanted to thank everyone for my birthday party at the Friday Pissup.

I was well and truly surprised by the event. This was probably evident to all who saw my stunned grinning expression, inane mumbling, shocked stagger and well....l come to think of it most of you probably just thought I started celebrating early. I have often been the organizer of such events but seldom the recipient. It was wonderful and very important to me.

Special thanks to Basset, Mamanoodles, and Begs for the last minute much appreciated setup, humongous Avatar lurking hither and yon, public announcement of my antiquity, good food ( I really liked the kebabs), card, liquid lunch(read Jack), but mostly for your company. Rdrockit and Katae thanks for your company and every time I sip on your gift I will think of you both wherever. Figure on 2 days tops. Barry good to see you as always and nice to meet Thai and Love. I also want to thank Raro and New, Screws + 2, Monti, and the nice guy whose wife is a lawyer and the lawyer herself for being welcome participants in the festivities.

sincere Thanks

kdf

We had a wonderful time, good to see you abd Boo once again, and thanks to Begs for the invite.

Barry

kdf here,

Still slurping on my jd and recovering. Remembering kebabs and towel racks. Hope that was easily put back together.

Last night a friend took me to Bang Saray, crab, crab, fish, tom yam goong, crab, and more than a few beers.

However recovered or not, next Friday looms.

TB's always seems to work well. Also Noi's Bar is a good alternative. Although Noi's nature is not exactly the restaurant and onwards venue I often suggest, the fearless leaders over there make the event special. Real gud beef stew, BTW.

Pattaya Mike's place on the line in Jomtien put on a gud feed, but only 4 or 5 of us showed. Maybe a return? Barry it is real close to the line almost Pattaya. If anyone, Barryofthailand the bike man or others, have transport problems, perhaps something can be organized wherever we go. Anything to keep the numbers up and the TVers safe.

So how about Friday gang, new ideas always welcome.

kdf + she who snores with scissors

kdf here,

Still slurping on my jd and recovering. Remembering kebabs and towel racks. Hope that was easily put back together.

Last night a friend took me to Bang Saray, crab, crab, fish, tom yam goong, crab, and more than a few beers.

However recovered or not, next Friday looms.

TB's always seems to work well. Also Noi's Bar is a good alternative. Although Noi's nature is not exactly the restaurant and onwards venue I often suggest, the fearless leaders over there make the event special. Real gud beef stew, BTW.

Pattaya Mike's place on the line in Jomtien put on a gud feed, but only 4 or 5 of us showed. Maybe a return? Barry it is real close to the line almost Pattaya. If anyone, Barryofthailand the bike man or others, have transport problems, perhaps something can be organized wherever we go. Anything to keep the numbers up and the TVers safe.

So how about Friday gang, new ideas always welcome.

kdf + she who snores with scissors

If I go alone I take my bike. Last Friday the three of us came so I drove my car and parked in tops. The only thing I get concerned is if I take my car is their adequate parking. And if I take my bike it really doesn't make too much of a difference other than on soi kownoi and soi katalo their are soecial police all over the place stopping motorbikes. The last time I left nois at 1AM the police son soi kownoi blew their wistle at me but I did't stop to see what they wanted.

Barry

KDF, Thanks for the plug, always available to assisst fellow slurpers!

David says high!

PattayaMike

Baan Jomtiem

PattayaMike,

Been outa da country for a while, will be over to see y'all soon.

Hi back to David.

SOOO any suggestions for Friday, any seconds to my suggestions?

I'd like to do what we need to do to keep attendance up, but aging quicker is not an option.

Where we go gang?

kdf

Edited by kdf

I've been to Shenanigans quite a few times, and do like the place.

However some members will find the prices slightly outrageous at 110 Baht for bottled beers!

Bit the same style as Jamesons, where we had one of the early Friday meetings, but more expensive, probably due to the high rentals in buildings that style, a rental I would not want to cough up monthly :o

Whilst I agree with Monty about prices I think a visit to Shenanigans might be fun, we could all pop down to the Villa to watch Weho stacking the shelfes and Raro busking outside :o

Well I think that would be a great idea...i'm all for that! :D

begsaresponse

Well lets have some input from more members. Like Begs says, we can pop in and take a look for a couple of Beers and if we decide to go some where else that option is alway open.

Barry

Ouch, Raro busking outside, he's gonna run into trouble with the security of the place when nobody dares to enter anymore :o:D

Oh, and very high on my list for any establishment is the presence of wifi internet. Shenanigans has it!

For the life of me, with the current affordable high speed (sometimes) internet access, I can't understand why so little places offer this service to their customers.

I have it in my place (and Basset as well!) and at times I have quite a lot of additional revenue from laptop toters :D

Right opposite Soi Yamato.

If driving down 2nd road you'll see it on your right hand side, first floor of the half round building, about 200 meters past their old location.

Villa supermarket is in the same complex.

For those by car, plenty of parking accessible either from 2nd road, or the small soi behind (currently nicknamed soi mercure).

...almost five and no posts yet? I might know the reason... :o

Anyways, as for the Shenanigans I guess this case is closed and most if not all of us had it with this establishment. When we changed to the beer bar on the opposit side, the party came into swing and finally Tina turned (PUN!! read it again...i've been working for at least an hour on that one!!) it into something hilarious...

Nice also meeting PhilHarris for the first time on a TV event and yes, you missed the best part! :D

Lets see, Shenanigan's nice decor, poor food, expensive drinks, pleasant staff.

Bar across the street, nice smelling kebabs from next door, 50-60 Baht, cheap drinks, staff intrigued by Cooty talk and drawings, too many hawkers, quiet enough to talk. Lost a few TVers in transit here.

Malibu, expensive drinks, very funny show with boys, lady boys, and girls. Yep Tina was the best, but the limbo action was also excellent. lost more Tvers here

Walking street, just 2 TVers at this point, fairly busy for about 2:30 am. Ice bar cold, -16 centipede, outside of the freezer good but expensive drinks, great Mojitos, and pleasant friendly staff.

Home, nice free Jack, gifts that is.

All in all a success, great company.

kdf + she who runs with scissors

Did I hear TB's for next Friday?