Three foreign drivers fall for Kalim corner in two weeks

snoop1130

3.jpg

Photo: Patong Police

PHUKET: Police in Patong have had water-filled barriers installed on a curve in Kalim in the hope of preventing more drivers from plunging over the road’s edge down to the beach below. Three foreign tourists have already fallen victim to the sharp curve this month, police said.

The curve, along the Kalim beachfront, is located just before reaching the Ban Kalim Municipal School, north of Patong, Patong Police noted in their announcement today.

The final straw came yesterday (Oct 13) when yet another foreign driver plunged over the edge of the road, the announcement added.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/three-foriegn-drivers-fall-for-kalim-corner-in-two-weeks-81701.php

pkt..jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-10-15

We are staying at Kalim Beach just before the school on the Patong side. When we came late september many of the street lights on the high lampposts were out of light, they have recently been fixed.

Where the red water filled barriers are put it is to catch the cars coming from Kamala which drives to fast or for other reasons fails to take the almost 90 degree bend on the road and crosses over the opposite lane and down to the beach.

Late afternoons and evenings there are many vendors along the stretch and a nearly constant stream of cars and motorbikes in both directions , so I guess the accidents must have happened in late evenings or nights as the outcome could have been much worse if happened at other times.

Edited by perconrad
Spelling error
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, itsari said:
8 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Asian basher aah, tough guy. 

Probably not even living in Thailand 

Safety first does not seem to fit you somehow . 

I am not tough and i am not living abroad . 

Oh, OK you're just an 

Asian basher 

5 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Oh, OK you're just an 

Asian basher 

Your not finished with me . 

OK , i mentioned the three neighbouring countries as they are foreigners .

In the original post it was mentioned three foreigners had gone wrong on the 90 degree bend and then we all assume it was a caucasion . Ok now ?

I am not a Asian basher thank you

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

Not sure how your foot would ever come off the brake going down this hill ????

The accident place is half a kilometer after the hill coming from Kamala, so it's more the foot on the speeder which didn't came of ????

assuming I've got the right location and not making excuses for poor driving, but that is a dreadful corner. You approach it from either direction expecting a bend but it is in fact an abrupt right-angle. In addition, the central yellow line is completely worn away by tyre scrub as everyone cuts it when trying to make it into a curve.

Looking at the amount of road improvements in the area over the last eighteen months it's frustrating that they can't spend a very small sum reprofiling this bend - I mean corner - it just needs a few pots of paint!

Edited by London Lowf
To make it better!

22 hours ago, Deli said:

Fixing the road might help ?

From the article:

The Phuket Highways Office will set up cement blocks along the outer edge of the curve as a permanent measure, the announcement concluded.

They haven't heard of guardrails which would should be standard at such an edge?

Some pain/signs, solar powered warning lights would be added comfort. Asking for too much.

Edited by KhunBENQ

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

From the article:

They haven't heard of guardrails which would should be standard at such an edge?

Some pain/signs, solar powered warning lights would be added comfort. Asking for too much

Nothing to do with your comments above. 

The problem has been clearly identified by another member from his comment below 

Driven that road so many times.  You'd have to be stupid drunk to end up on the beach