Does a LT Girlfriend have property rights when we split - it's time

Tell her that the relationship is not working anymore and you want to terminate it.

Give her some time to find a new place but make sure she is actively searching if not, she will never leave.

Tell her that "YOUR" apartment will be rented to another foreigner and that he will move in, in a few weeks time.

Take care of the child and do not go for her threats.

They come up with all sort of stories.

My ex always invented that all her friends in "germany 555" get at least 50,000Baht pocket money each month.

Told her: on your bike and register with Thaifriendly or similar and condition is:

1. German

2. Rich

3. good looking and not older than 40

I bet she is still searching.

9 hours ago, LarrySR said:

Ever watch a Thai Soap Opera TV show?

They yell and scream allot, all sorts of drama, get violent including death threats, try to get you arrested, start all kinds of nasty rumors about how you beat them, are on drugs, never took care of her and fondled the child, steal everything they can, vandalize the place, change your passwords, smash your phone, steal your passport, take the credit cards, drain the bank account and maybe slit their wrists with a dull knife or jumps off the balcony.(you pushed her of course)

Big loss of face, servicing a farang for 10 years and leave with nothing.... How stupid! Her friends and family will persuade her to take the apartment, car, bank, TAKE EVERYTHING!!

Well, thats going to happen to you.

Maybe ... that depends how much anger has rotted her soul over the past couple of years

What did you tell her already? Does she know that she is on notice to lose her support? If not, she may react by behaving better when you let her know you are thinking of ending the relationship.

Is there anyone else that you can involve to help, like her mother, aunt, sister?

Is there somewhere cheaper that she can go and live OK on whatever you are prepared to give her?

I hope she doesn't go for you with a knife. Please be careful. Good luck.

19 hours ago, JoeBloe said:

This is not because I don't care for her or the boy, but I need to get out before it gets ugly.

Unfortunately, if you think that things have been bad already then the real difficulty will be getting her out. Forget the financial side of it, just getting her to move could be a major issue and hassle. Be prepared to rent her a place elsewhere to start and definitely change all locks and remove her access to your condo once she has finally gone. Even when she has gone that may not be the end of any drama. Best of luck.  

2 minutes ago, JoeBloe said:

I would be happy to detail my economic position to you, but since you think it's all about money and that's unlikely to change, I won't. That's a telling characteristic for a lot of people.

i dont think your economic position is too relevant unless you are bill gates or you literally have $5 to your name

5 minutes ago, JoeBloe said:

All partnership breakups amount to money.

maybe your ones, thats a pretty bold statement to make

An ATM?  Until quite recently (and In fact during her "rational" moments, that is probably still the case), anyone suggesting that to my GF would have ended on the receiving end of some vitriol.

ok, because she loses face or she doesnt like to hear the truth?

EVERY couple where there is one breadwinner and one family caretaker has one party who is the "ATM". This is not unique to Thailand, it is how our species evolved.

definitely there is some truth to that, and it still applies today to some

I'll be happy to pay her and walk away without a knife in my throat.

your safety and health is number one priority

The reason that divorce settlements are invariably about money, is because one party (almost invariably the female) sacrifices x years for the benefit of the family rather than working at something else. It IS nothing more than compensation and it is valued in $. I didn't invent the concept, it is what it is.

whatever you decide, good luck but I would like to remind you that (you may disagree with me) but you owe her nothing, just because shes had a free ride or used to an ATM, doesnt mean you have to continue it once you move on.  Highly unlikely but she should be appreciative of what you have provided her. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, hellohello123 said:

34 minutes ago, JoeBloe said:

An ATM?  Until quite recently (and In fact during her "rational" moments, that is probably still the case), anyone suggesting that to my GF would have ended on the receiving end of some vitriol.

ok, because she loses face or she doesnt like to hear the truth?

You'd need to ask her.

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2021 at 6:08 AM, JoeBloe said:

Anyway, when the <deleted> hits the fan, it will all devolve into a "x time spent = $y" event. I just need to know if I'll need to mount a defence or just make an offer. I'm willing to make an reasonable offer to keep her going while she arranges a new mark.

If she's been reasonable to you over the 10 years then she deserves something when you as it seems want to split.

She has to have somewhere to live, that costs money, she has a son, that also costs money.

Offer her a reasonable severance payment but make it clear it's a once and for all payment.

After that she has to find employment or another sponsor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I was young and Christmas was coming , all I got from my father was a bill of what he spend in the last year for me . That was my Christmas present .

Tell her that nothing is forever in this world , tell her that you paid your share , leave her something and move on ...

Better an end with pain , as pain without end ...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You could try being rationale, see if there is some training or familiarity that would get her into some job somewhere and some income to live on, but that is very unlikely to work for her.  The odds are she will have to find another person to take her in.  Otherwise who knows.  Grandma look after the child while she tries to find work?  Sounds like you did your part for many years.  That's a good mate.  If you do come up with some cash deal to give her, I would then slip out of sight really quick to avoid any physical or police complaint or conflict.  Do you own or do you rent the condo? If renting, when is the lease up?  Maybe plan on moving out and severing the relationship around that time.   It can be difficult getting her to leave.  Just imagine her packing up everything.... You should consider self protection and at some point changing the locks if you can while she is away.

1 minute ago, nobodysfriend said:

When I was young and Christmas was coming , all I got from my father was a bill of what he spend in the last year for me . That was my Christmas present .

Tell her that nothing is forever in this world , tell her that you paid your share , leave her something and move on ...

Better an end with pain , as pain without end ...

"When I were a lad, we lived in shoebox in middle of road"

But seriously, I grew up a few hundred yards from the pit head and while I have never had the misfortune of getting pogged on bread and dripping, it was a thing only a generation before me.

I'll get it sorted. In the meantime I'll try and enjoy the "normal" times and survive the rest!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, LarrySR said:

Ever watch a Thai Soap Opera TV show?

They yell and scream allot, all sorts of drama, get violent including death threats, try to get you arrested, start all kinds of nasty rumors about how you beat them, are on drugs, never took care of her and fondled the child, steal everything they can, vandalize the place, change your passwords, smash your phone, steal your passport, take the credit cards, drain the bank account and maybe slit their wrists with a dull knife or jumps off the balcony.(you pushed her of course)

Big loss of face, servicing a farang for 10 years and leave with nothing.... How stupid! Her friends and family will persuade her to take the apartment, car, bank, TAKE EVERYTHING!!

Well, thats going to happen to you.

cuz  theyre  all the same right

1 minute ago, gk10012001 said:

You could try being rationale, see if there is some training or familiarity that would get her into some job somewhere and some income to live on, but that is very unlikely to work for her.  The odds are she will have to find another person to take her in.  Otherwise who knows.  Grandma look after the child while she tries to find work?  Sounds like you did your part for many years.  That's a good mate.  If you do come up with some cash deal to give her, I would then slip out of sight really quick to avoid any physical or police complaint or conflict.  Do you own or do you rent the condo? If renting, when is the lease up?  Maybe plan on moving out and severing the relationship around that time.   It can be difficult getting her to leave.  Just imagine her packing up everything.... You should consider self protection and at some point changing the locks if you can while she is away.

Working is unlikely to happen for several reasons, so a new patron it will be.

The boy will soon be of legal age, he's not an issue.

I own >1 condos in Thailand, we live in one of them. In these bizarre Covid19 times, unloading them quickly and/or without significant loss is unlikely so me disappearing completely out of Thailand is somewhat difficult.

I fully expect a police complaint and a long sad story and worse, as she threatens with that and more whenever she is in a rage. Her rages make Thai TV drama look like a well behaved kindergarten. If these rages weren't so regular I wouldn't be planning to leave :(

• Like 2

Just now, JoeBloe said:

Working is unlikely to happen for several reasons, so a new patron it will be.

The boy will soon be of legal age, he's not an issue.

I own >1 condos in Thailand, we live in one of them. In these bizarre Covid19 times, unloading them quickly and/or without significant loss is unlikely so me disappearing completely out of Thailand is somewhat difficult.

I fully expect a police complaint and a long sad story and worse, as she threatens with that and more whenever she is in a rage. Her rages make Thai TV drama look like a well behaved kindergarten. If these rages weren't so regular I wouldn't be planning to leave ????

you understand the lay of the land.  Sadly complaints of abuse and you getting dragged off to the police station and out of your own condo are not unheard of. I hate to say that as I always loved Thailand since my first visit in 2004 and well over a dozen visits and fully planning on 6 months a year of retirement there soon.  But there are forces at work over there sometimes.  Even if the girl is basically good, and never would do anything nefarious on her own, sometimes  it does not take much for somebody to put a gun to her head, or put a gun to her family, and coerce them to act.  I don't want to cast aspersions on character, but some police collusion has been noted at times also.  The courts just rarely favor a foreigner over there.   And sadly, sometimes need overcomes character. 

If you are the condo owner, I do suggest that at some point you are prepared to change the keys or locks.  As others have posted, you will not have any normal Palimony type of responsibility, so that is a good thing.  Separation should be a one and done.  Maybe even draw up a piece of paper contract or at least make sure any money you give her is well documented so there is no doubt you made good effort to help her out when you send her on her way.  Just guessing on that one

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JoeBloe said:

Have you ever tried to be rational with an angry woman?

Venus & Mars and all that jazz ...

I used to date in Los Angeles, California, the air head capital.  As an engineer and I hope a usually fairly reasoning person, how I got out of there with all my hair and mostly not grey and made it to 64 with my monies and able to retire, is worthy of a movie!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JoeBloe said:

In an early post I pointed out that there is a clinical issue. Re-read that one.

Personally, until recently, I've never considered her a freeloader. Not contributing $ to a relationship is not the same as not contributing anything to a relationship.

Sounds  like  all she contributes is  grief

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, gk10012001 said:

I used to date in Los Angeles, California, the air head capital.  As an engineer and I hope a usually fairly reasoning person, how I got out of there with all my hair and mostly not grey and made it to 64 with my monies and able to retire, is worthy of a movie!

Indeed. I lived in CA for a while. I know the feeling!

We used to say our secretary was a General in the "Space Cadets" (referring the space between her ears, not the newly formed Space Force).