Does a LT Girlfriend have property rights when we split - it's time

1 minute ago, JoeBloe said:

Indeed. I lived in CA for a while. I know the feeling!

We used to say our secretary was a General in the "Space Cadets" (referring the space between her ears, not the newly formed Space Force).

I was in the Air Force and worked on space projects and spent a lot of time in Colorado Springs at USAF Space Command

Why not offer her a monthly allowance for 6 months while she settles into her new life you have zero responsibility for her son but maybe you feel you want to contribute to his education if you see him as being an enthusiastic child who has a passion for learning . I help my ex with her child’s schooling it’s a government school so it’s not that expensive 

Edited by crazykopite
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, blackcab said:

Before you give her the bad news, don't forget to secure all of your important documents, outside of the condo if you can.

Passport, bank cards, bank books, pension documents, title deeds, housebooks, spare property access cards and keys, vehicle registration books and spare keys, driving licenses, any documents from your home country and anything else that would be difficult to replace easily.

I had a co worker here in the states.  he was in the Navy and stationed in the PI on and off.  He married a filipina.  Had two kids.  They got separated and divorced in the States.  She burned the house down!  No lie.  All his records gone.  Took many years for him to reconcile things with the IRS. in the meantime he was stationed around the world, etc.  He did not file his taxes for several years.  Finally, he got hired at Northrop after he left the navy and settled in San Diego California.  Got a lawyer and got with the IRS. 

The IRS guy says you are in big trouble for not paying taxes for the last 5 years.  My friend snapped back:  "I paid a LOT of taxes.  I just did not file. There is a big difference".  Now the guy was always on payroll with the Navy and a year or two with Northrop so of course Federal, state and SSA taxes had been taken out.  So there were records.  When the dust cleared, my friend got back a fair amount of money refunded.  Apparently though the IRS only goes back so far for paying out money owed, but they sure will go back more years if you owe them money! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theoldgit said:

Do think this will be a surprise to her, or do you think she probably knows it's coming?

Who will be the first to blink?

Obviously things are somewhat toxic at the moment and if she believed 10% of what comes out of her mouth during her tirades, she'd have left herself long ago - or knifed me.  But she's still here and I'm still contributing to global warming ????

Clinically unstable she may be, but a fool she isn't

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2021 at 6:08 AM, JoeBloe said:

Bizarrely, she's never set foot in a bar or "worked", but she has now developed the same "whore mentality" that equates money with sex (and says it out loud) - I blame the Thai internet forums and chat rooms for that development.

Funny that; my girl has about the same background and mentality. I blame her outlook on her girlfriends advice which pretty much all originates or influenced by ladies of the red light districts.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Leonard Desharnais said:

You mentioned her job was to take care of you.

I didn't write that, did I? From memory, I wrote that her job was to be a mother and faithful partner. I don't need a nurse now, and with a bit of luck, never.

6 minutes ago, Leonard Desharnais said:

divide what the 2 of you have amassed over your 10 yr period or a cash settlement equal to the same.

We haven't amassed anything. In fact I haven't either. I can't think of a single thing of value that I have "amassed" in Thailand since I met her (aside from the jalopy which isn't in my name anyway).

9 minutes ago, Leonard Desharnais said:

she is worried about after I die

That's an issue in my case as well. She was a young widow when I met her, so it's a real enough concern.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Just move somewhere else with no forwarding address, no need to tell her, just disappear.

Let her stay in the condo ......... condos are cheap to rent at the moment.

Don't give her or the kid any more money.

She'll wander off soon enough.

If she can't find you or contact you, she's unlikely to make a complaint.

Another alternative I always liked, was to move in with another Thai lady and let them sort it out between them.

If they end up giving each other a beating, it's nothing to do with you.

Your new woman will protect her investment.

Some of you people must have no lives, no assets and share nothing. I have a lot of forwarding addresses and she knows and has visited all of them.

This "pump and dump" mentality is strange.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

She has no legal basis for anything, unless the property, motorbikes, etc. are in her name. 

Just the car, mainly because of the complications involved with getting it in my name (don't ask)

20-50K ????????

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You're right, I have no significant assets in Thailand.

And I learned never to share information about me with anyone, certainly not the woman in my bed. 

Would point out you're the one likely to be killed or jailed, not me.

My first gf drove her car over her American husband, then had him arrested and deported.

My second gf had her Swiss husband killed by a 'hit and run'.

These women can be dangerous!

Did these woman have relationships with you before or after their murderous behaviour?

The number of farangs that die in mysterious circumstances in Thailand is astonishing. I don't wish to be the next statistic, that's for sure.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JoeBloe said:

Did these woman have relationships with you before or after their murderous behaviour?

The number of farangs that die in mysterious circumstances in Thailand is astonishing. I don't wish to be the next statistic, that's for sure.

First was during/after, she forgot to mention she was married, and he was away working to send her money.

Second was after, she was in the process of selling his kid to his parents when I was with her.

They will hire people to kill you.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

First was after, she forgot to mention she was married, and he was away working to send her money.

Second was after, she was in the process of selling his kid to his parents when I was with her.

They will hire people to kill you.

I know, and she's got one in the family somewhere for sure :o

Those two sound like the dregs of our species and in a Darwinian world would be deselected.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, JoeBloe said:

When you read some of the mentality in here, and how they describe their relationship, I understand why! Do not need to be Einstein to know why. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is really simple, No she has no rights to anything as you are not married. This is why many men choose to live in Thailand because there are no crazy laws like if she lives with you for 6 months she is entitled to 50% of your wealth like the crazy west!!

The situation could be complicated because she may refuse to leave. Simple solution is to tell her you have money problems and can no longer afford the place or her generous monthly expenses. Rent a fan room for 5-6k a month and pay 3-6 months upfront. Tell her you need to move to the new room as you need to sell the condo and then let her know that you can only afford to give her 6-10k a month living expenses as you are broke now. Give her say a month to move and then after that you can safely break up with her but I give it 50-50 odds she maybe will have left you for someone else by then anyways! 

Edited by theonetrueaussie

On 10/17/2021 at 10:37 AM, JoeBloe said:

Thanks folks.

It is as I had expected from a legal standpoint, up to my own internal model of the world what I am willing to offer.

Some more of the story.

Her father is dead (I paid a big lump of his funeral) and she is estranged from her family. As far as I can ascertain, this is between her and her mother.  Oldest daughters v. mothers is a thing in all cultures.

During my dealings with the family I have managed to secure the remaining part of the family farm for my GF plus some another small piece of land etc.. Every time the family needed money and I was expected to contribute, I traded a chanot for it, rather than straight charity. I offered to pay a large wad the other day to zero the family debt for the other part of the farm, but they apparently already agreed to sell it. Thai rural families are easy pray for loan sharks and banks. I gain no benefit for this, but I do not doubt my GF (and subsequently her son) would have ended with nothing without my intervention, so my contribution insured some of her farm stayed in family (her) hands. From my point of view, this is me giving her money.

My deal with her explicitly excluded marriage, it was that I would provide for everything incl. the boy's education and her only job was to be a full-time mother and a faithful partner. She did a pretty good job on the mother front and since she is a great cook, they both eat well. I have been faithful and kept everyone under my roof and given them a cosmopolitan lifestyle when we are outside Thailand.

One issue now appears to be she feels inferior to other Thai women because she doesn't have an expensive watch, lots of jewellery, a big bank balance and so on. She has developed an inferiority complex versus what she perceives other Thai woman receive from their farang partners. She has built up a massive "princess entitlement" position and she's angry about it. This is quite a new development.

I could throw gifts at her, but my experience is that she treats ear rings that cost 20 THB the same as those that cost 10,000 THB. A mistake I am not willing to make again so she can play princess around other women for a while.

There you go, a bit of pointless rambling about some of what is driving me out of my own home.  There are far deeper issues though, and there aren't solutions for those,. ????

Question: How can one reasonably hide knives from the chef?

Offer a chunk of cash and the “Chef” will go elsewhere, unless of course she still loves you then it’s a devil to get them out.

On 10/17/2021 at 6:08 AM, JoeBloe said:

I have been with my GF 10+ years. It's a long story, but basically the question is;

* when I split from her, does she have any legal avenue for extracting compensation for time spent.

Nope.  However, she may exact a pound of flesh in a different manner as TIT.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Just move somewhere else with no forwarding address, no need to tell her, just disappear.

Let her stay in the condo ......... condos are cheap to rent at the moment.

Don't give her or the kid any more money.

She'll wander off soon enough.

If she can't find you or contact you, she's unlikely to make a complaint.

Another alternative I always liked, was to move in with another Thai lady and let them sort it out between them.

If they end up giving each other a beating, it's nothing to do with you.

Your new woman will protect her investment.

external-content.duckduckgo_com.gif.ad10369963b203e2554fd40a78a1625b.gif

• Haha 2

On 10/17/2021 at 6:49 AM, JoeBloe said:

The drama will be immense, for clinical reasons. Pent up psychological trauma from long before I was in the frame that has consumed her soul and mind from the inside. They all come with baggage.

This is not because I don't care for her or the boy, but I need to get out before it gets ugly.

If you want to do it the nice way; find her a cheap condo, move her stuff out and tell her to go look for a job. Give her minimal support so she has an incentive to find a job or new friend and give her a timeline when you will stop supporting. If you don't care, tell her to go to her family.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1