Survey – 60% of Thai people believe country not ready to reopen to foreign arrivals

webfact

I think that they have thought this through. Think about the potential number of visitors. In November 2019, there were 3.3 million tourism arrivals in the kingdom. How many people will now start to arrive, in 12 days? How many people will be willing to travel? How many countries allow quarantine free return right now? ASEAN contributed to about 2/3 of visitors to Thailand. How many ASEAN countries allow home return without quarantine? Answer, as of today - none of them.  So that pretty much rules out nearly all visitors from ASEAN countries. Do I need to go on?

This November 1st opening does not mean that the country will fill up with visitors overnight. I suspect that here will be a slow and gradual increase of people over several months as countries round the world vaccinate more of their people and relax their own rules for entry. Likewise, as time goes on, Thailand will have vaccinated more of its people.   When that happens, and as economies begin to pick up, the arrivals will return.

The big question for me is will we ever get back to the numbers we were used to seeing?

(https://www.mots.go.th/mots_en/download/TourismStatistics/6_62Dec24Nov2019article_20191224133042_1.xlsx)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, henry213 said:

Why is it always "Thai people" Why not Thai's? i'm british and we say Brits, never add the people at the end as we already know what we are ????,   Always hate hearing Thai people, Thai people, Thai people.......Worst is when they say "We Thai people"............. irritating, Makes them sound stupid...............

Oh sorry the news....Well stay shut then i don't care.....................???? I'm looking forward to 6 month in Tbilisi Georgia from Nov, with 0 anything to get in there with NO!! restrictions and you get one year visa plus way cheaper than silly over priced Thailand. 

Funny, I have actually been looking at Georgia too, when my visa expires here. Seems so much easier than Thailand.

6 minutes ago, khunpa said:

Funny, I have actually been looking at Georgia too, when my visa expires here. Seems so much easier than Thailand.

Oh yes very easy and Thai's can go too same as most, infact lots of Thai restaurants and massage shops there ????, So home from home if you have lived in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Dave1954 said:

The government stated they would not open up until 70% of the population were fully vaccinated they do even play by there own rules     

I have heard, that 70% of the population in all main tourism areas of Thailand have now been fully vaccinated. The few international tourists, who should leave these tourism areas during their holiday, are not a serious threat to the local population.

1 hour ago, Bobydog said:

Hear hear, the powers that be only ask the same 1400/1799 people out of ???? Millions!!!! and claim 60% of this or that say.......????????????

This is the commonly accepted number for polls anywhere in the world. 

I, for one, agree that Nov is too early for foreigners to come. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, malt25 said:

I'll probably get a negative response to this... But !  "to be honest we dont want you here.." Some of you must live in a different Thailand to me. I've been here permanently over 7 years now. Travelled extensively. Driven over 85,000 km. Lived in a few different places. Mostly up-country. I agree somewhat to your comment if in BKK or Pattaya, but once outside the tourist traps I've always been treated respectfully. I have all the usual dealings with immigration, banks, insurance companies & service providers. I've never encountered a negative vibe. I have excellent neighbours who often drop in to just say Hi & give me their home grown fruit & veggies. I'm wondering if maybe some members have an attitude issue ?

Tourists would be more happily welcomed by the Thais, if less mass tourism were taking place. But unfortunately their leaders have not wanted it that way. Places like Phuket, Pattaya, Samui, Chiang Mai, Hua-Hin and other areas have complete lost their local vibe, which must be a huge pain in the ass for the locals, who are not making a living of tourism. But they should direct their anger towards the local leaders, rather than blaming the tourists for the mass tourism. If you allow building of multiple hotels and resorts, you will also have to welcome the tourists that will be visiting.

Edited by Xonax
  • Like 1

I thought that "70% vaccinated" mantra died a while ago. It looks like vaccination don't do much with regards to cases, but they do appear to help quite a lot with lowering the risk of death. So of course, bringing more foreigners will increase the risk of getting more infections and possibly introduce another variant in the future, but this must be balanced with the financial needs of the people.

1 minute ago, the green light said:

3. got to wear a mask all the time

4 liquor and girls are banned no soi cowbow,  patpung and Nana shut down

Don't have to wear a mask all the time. 

Girls are not banned. I think you mean go go dancers; we don't want that kind of tourist, thank you. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, henry213 said:

Why is it always "Thai people" Why not Thai's? i'm british and we say Brits, never add the people at the end as we already know what we are ????,   Always hate hearing Thai people, Thai people, Thai people.......Worst is when they say "We Thai people"............. irritating, Makes them sound stupid...............

Oh sorry the news....Well stay shut then i don't care.....................???? I'm looking forward to 6 month in Tbilisi Georgia from Nov, with 0 anything to get in there with NO!! restrictions and you get one year visa plus way cheaper than silly over priced Thailand. 

Perhaps they say "Thai people" because (like about 80% of posters here) they don't know the plural of Thai. It is of course Thais, not Thai's. Just as you would write Brits, not Brit's. 

Edited by Stupooey
Wrong word.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, henry213 said:

It is translated from 'khon Thai'. Similarly, 'khon Jeeen' is Chinese people. 

Farang, btw, don't get called 'khon farang' ???? 

They should not open till they are at least 70% fully vaccinated but that will be april songran 2022

The people displaced by tourism are low paid and at this stage are fending for themselves or returning to manufacturing and food producing industry which needs low paid workers to replace the neighbouring countries labour who have left.

Airlines wont fly 1/2 empty planes in 2022, the infrasture hotels etc is in bits and no staff will return unless it is viable and they are fully vaccinated, no tourist will go unless everything is open and not going to close again.

SEA short haul tourists are less vaccinated than EU/UK/US and fewer willing to fly so only expats and those who have commitents or know thailand will take the plunge with easy entry.

Tourism is lost to covid even more so if AQL and testing is required.

I am in Lanszarote entry is easy passenger online locator form and EU cert copies on my phone, everything is open and businesses are coming back slowy still only at 50% but going the right way it will take well into next year for 80/90%.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Girls are not banned. I think you mean go go dancers; we don't want that kind of tourist, thank you. 

Who is 'we'...... got a mouse in your pocket?

I believe those with GG Bars will want that kind of tourist, and they will come too.

• Haha 2