Survey – 60% of Thai people believe country not ready to reopen to foreign arrivals

webfact

Well another survey, but it is the international visitor who will have to decide if they want to 

pay extra for the COVID insurance, on top of their travel insurance.  plus money for 2 or 3 nights in Bangkok or

other arrival at an ASQ type hotel, because of having to wait for results of the PCR test or what ever it is.

Then when the lucky tourist gets to their destination, they find that they cannot free drink alcohol

without a risk of arrest or paying tea money to the local police. No Bars or entertainment places open.

A risk to the tourist of catching COVID from some unvaccinated worker, who is maybe not a Thai either.

As is mentioned many times there are many places where the beaches are nice, the weather is okay

and there is not restrictions, and costly add on to pay just to be at the destination.

Still too much extra charges and risks for me to go to Thailand. Thai government and TAT can do better.

Maybe by January 2022 they will.

Geezer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xonax said:

Well if women are more important than weather

46 minutes ago, jimn said:

60% of 1629 people. The survey is laughable. its only 0.0023 % of the thai population.

This is enough for a survey. I'm sure that where you come from, as similar percentage is taken. 

10 hours ago, webfact said:

The survey also shows, however, that 39.9% of those surveyed agree that the November 1st target is timely.

How is this helpful? 60.1% thus do not agree, or are indifferent about, the target being timely. Call a spade a spade.

2 hours ago, Xonax said:

Tourists would be more happily welcomed by the Thais, if less mass tourism were taking place. But unfortunately their leaders have not wanted it that way. Places like Phuket, Pattaya, Samui, Chiang Mai, Hua-Hin and other areas have complete lost their local vibe, which must be a huge pain in the ass for the locals, who are not making a living of tourism. But they should direct their anger towards the local leaders, rather than blaming the tourists for the mass tourism. If you allow building of multiple hotels and resorts, you will also have to welcome the tourists that will be visiting.

Have you ever heard of systemic urban planning here? Limits on development? It just does not exist. There is no vision whatsoever, coming from any of the so called leaders here. Not on the local, state or national level. In places like Hua Hin there are hundreds upon hundreds of buildings built within the past 5 years, that have ridiculous vacancy rates. Did a single developer do any real research into the market, before building?

• Like 2

Thailand is slated to launch 3 vaccines next year. There is no way they will put a damper on the hysteria until they have made a fortune on those vaccines. This poll may be a way to keep the hysteria high enough thais will welcome the Thai vaccines as a way to improve the economy 

5 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Well another survey, but it is the international visitor who will have to decide if they want to 

pay extra for the COVID insurance, on top of their travel insurance.  plus money for 2 or 3 nights in Bangkok or

other arrival at an ASQ type hotel, because of having to wait for results of the PCR test or what ever it is.

Then when the lucky tourist gets to their destination, they find that they cannot free drink alcohol

without a risk of arrest or paying tea money to the local police. No Bars or entertainment places open.

A risk to the tourist of catching COVID from some unvaccinated worker, who is maybe not a Thai either.

As is mentioned many times there are many places where the beaches are nice, the weather is okay

and there is not restrictions, and costly add on to pay just to be at the destination.

Still too much extra charges and risks for me to go to Thailand. Thai government and TAT can do better.

Maybe by January 2022 they will.

Geezer

There are those that are saying that by January, the "decision makers" might've seen the light and come to their senses. 

Though, I can't see that happening - as they have a reputation for being set-in-stone types.

If I was a betting man, I might even suggest that they really don't want to venture with the ideals of "reopening", as all of this conflicts with the COVID justified and convenient restrictive policies which have been set into place gradually for the last six months.....

3 minutes ago, kevc said:

It's not the foreign arrivals that are double vaccinated you need to be wary of its half of the population here already that haven't been vaccinated.

Of which many of this unvaccinated side have relaxed their guard as to practicing basic protocol measures, hence the continuing spikes and whatnot. 

10 hours ago, rskdev21 said:

Does one really think given the average IQ of a Thai and the way they Reason and Resolve issues that there opinion really matters as any kind of benchmark?

Lucky that the Hi-Sos can afford to send their kids overseas for school....

37 minutes ago, bangon04 said:

Lucky that the Hi-Sos can afford to send their kids overseas for school....

Not all Thais are dumb they do have reason and logic. My six year old knows the difference between their and there. As for Mr.TAT, the Health Minister and the Prime Minister who believe foreigners are willing to pay thousands of dollars just to be able to enter Thailand. They are the true idiots and the foreign SUCKERS willing to pay it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Have you ever heard of systemic urban planning here? Limits on development? It just does not exist. There is no vision whatsoever, coming from any of the so called leaders here. Not on the local, state or national level. In places like Hua Hin there are hundreds upon hundreds of buildings built within the past 5 years, that have ridiculous vacancy rates. Did a single developer do any real research into the market, before building?

I haven't been into Thailand since Feb 2020 due to the C19 pandemic but going back before then, I was struck by the numbers of new condos going up in Bangkok, seemingly wherever there's a plot of land available and forgetting what impact that might have on the outlook of other buildings. The market also looked saturated/over-valued back then, to me anyway, and even more now due to C19 fallout.

If I spend significant time in the country in future, I'll plan to rent. Don't need the hassle of worrying what curveball is coming around the corner. 

10 hours ago, nchuckle said:

I wonder if they could squeeze that in under the ‘I’ve had a vasectomy' print on my existing T shirt ? 

oooh. vaccination and vascetomy are a little too close in pronunciation.  There might be some confusion as the Thais try to pronounce the two words.  Two things I definitely would not want to get mixed up

17 hours ago, smedly said:

That whole statement doesn't make any sense - ask a stupid question and you will get ...........................

Makes sense to me. Have you read the questionnaire in its original form? I have. It is yet another well-formed questionnaire from a group with a proper working knowledge of how to frame questions and how to ensure proper collation of respondents. 

Q1: “5 factors” that will help open the country as scheduled

A1: Vaccination is effective for more than 70% of people. - 74% agree

A2: Have control over the spread of COVID-19 - 69% agree

A3: Readiness of public health, hospitals, medical personnel - 68% agree

A4: There is regular proactive examination / screening before entering various places. - 66% agree

A5: Build confidence in safety in tourist areas such as airports and public transport, restaurants and hotels - 65% agree

Q1 is a 'all you agree with' format so it is not an error that the responses seem greater than 100%... 

I would continue, but would you?

52 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

Makes sense to me. Have you read the questionnaire in its original form? I have. It is yet another well-formed questionnaire from a group with a proper working knowledge of how to frame questions and how to ensure proper collation of respondents. 

Q1: “5 factors” that will help open the country as scheduled

A1: Vaccination is effective for more than 70% of people. - 74% agree

A2: Have control over the spread of COVID-19 - 69% agree

A3: Readiness of public health, hospitals, medical personnel - 68% agree

A4: There is regular proactive examination / screening before entering various places. - 66% agree

A5: Build confidence in safety in tourist areas such as airports and public transport, restaurants and hotels - 65% agree

Q1 is a 'all you agree with' format so it is not an error that the responses seem greater than 100%... 

I would continue, but would you?

all very sensible until you add in ................................. fully vaccinated person as opposed to fully vaccinated foreign tourist, the distinction being......................................work it out for yourself

so you missed my point entirely 

14 hours ago, MarkyM3 said:

I haven't been into Thailand since Feb 2020 due to the C19 pandemic but going back before then, I was struck by the numbers of new condos going up in Bangkok, seemingly wherever there's a plot of land available and forgetting what impact that might have on the outlook of other buildings. The market also looked saturated/over-valued back then, to me anyway, and even more now due to C19 fallout.

If I spend significant time in the country in future, I'll plan to rent. Don't need the hassle of worrying what curveball is coming around the corner. 

For sure it is a renters market now. Especially outside of Bangkok, where property is still overpriced, and rents are ridiculously low. The numbers make no sense as an investment. And it is likely the fallout of this debacle, and in particular the reckless way it has been handled, and what appears to be a deliberate sabotage of tourism, for the sake of ridding Thailand of it's nightlife, will last well into 2027, or longer. Expect unemployment to remain within the 20-35% range, for quite some time, and expect the economy to continue contracting, despite the BS coming out of officialdom. 

• Like 2