Break From Your Internet

stumonster

Thanks for this thread, it is very useful.

I have now changed to Firefox.  It is noticeably faster.

I have also been using  http://gemal.dk/browserspy/  to compare Firefox with IE6.  I do not pretend to understand all these tests but Firefox always comes out on top.

Totally agree! This thread has completely changed my surfing experience for the better! Totally love 'tabs', 'mouse gestures' and the apparent speed of Firefox. Excellent! :o

• 2 weeks later...
and more...

Description:

Paul has reported some vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer, allowing malicious people to bypass security restrictions and potentially compromise a vulnerable system.

http://secunia.com/advisories/12048/

and also think about using an alternative to windows media player .

:o

aww...screw it. Why not just take it a step farther and go for an alternative to Windoze!

FireFox is definately a more advanced browser than IE... I generally 'play' with lots of alternatives and sorry guys but I put Linux into this category... I have been there since slackware 4.2 but until the desktop gets more focus its still a toy to me (NOTE I am not a developer merely a user I would probably sing a differnt tune if I coded fulltime) on this front stuff like Lindows / Linspire deserves merit even if its security sucks in linux terms..

Anyway back on topic.. I dont know if IE2 sufferes the same security holes as IE does but its another very advanced browser but firefox seems to be the IE alternative right now..

As for criticising WMP9 (or 10) its the only group in MS that seems to have direction and knows how to court a user community.. I work (unpaid) closely with the media division and I have not seen as much of a 'borgless' group of out of the box thinkers ever in the MS culture.. Next generation DVD (WMVHD).. High def.. serious audiophile codecs... etc.. Plus they are trying to find the way to allow us to back our media up and fighting hollywierd all the way on thier vision of a pay per view futire..

Opps I seem to have gone off on a tangent.. but media rights and control, DRM etc is a really interesting topic and one that Joe Sixpack wont even be aware of the rights he is loosing until he is paying every time he listens to 'Hotel California' (support the EFF)... In case its not obvious, media, improving the quality of media (HDTV) and the distribution of the same (say for example in smarthomes) is one of my hobbies..

As for criticising WMP9 (or 10) its the only group in MS that seems to have direction and knows how to court a user community.. I work (unpaid) closely with the media division and I have not seen as much of a 'borgless' group of out of the box thinkers ever in the MS culture.. Next generation DVD (WMVHD).. High def.. serious audiophile codecs... etc.. Plus they are trying to find the way to allow us to back our media up and fighting hollywierd all the way on thier vision of a pay per view futire..

MS courting a user community?? Fighting Hollywood?

MS wants to kill iPods with their own brand of personal player, based on a technology called Janus. Janus will allow for "time expiration" of downloaded music, so by Microsoft's scheme, you could be paying subscriptions to Redmond for music you have paid to download. (Think: "pay per listen") Since Janus is proprietary, no other portable music player not sold by MS would be able to play those files, unless of course the device maker pays MS for rights.

And then before this, Microsoft tried to "kill" the mp3 format with their own proprietary WMA format. Of course, you cannot play WMA files on an iPod, and you can only stream WMA from Micorosoft servers (with a few trivial exceptions).

And if you want to use a fully functional version of Windows Media Player? That's right, you have to buy Windows.

None of this is exactly courting this user's community.

MS courting a user community?? Fighting Hollywood?
Yes the Media division is working closely with the bleeding edge PC media groups and hobby'ists to attempt to find the middle way.. I can personally reach many of the media division with a simple email and get responses back within the day (and feature requests have been listened to and implemented) I have even had many conversations with the head of the media division on thier direction and future intentions (smarthome / full distribution / single server multi node homes)... The fact that industry leaders like Joe Kane are consulting on this are looking very good for convergence and unltimate junkies like me...
MS wants to kill iPods with their own brand of personal player, based on a technology called Janus. Janus will allow for "time expiration" of downloaded music, so by Microsoft's scheme, you could be paying subscriptions to Redmond for music you have paid to download. (Think: "pay per listen") Since Janus is proprietary, no other portable music player not sold by MS would be able to play those files, unless of course the device maker pays MS for rights.

The Janus format is merely a DRM mechanism.. Un DRM'ed files will still play on exisiting and Janus based hardware.. DRM is and will become a necessary part of future media release like it or loath it. If you loath it (as I tend to do, I dont mind piracy control but I will not purchase media that requires online authorisation) simply dont buy.. Vote with your wallet and only schemes the benefit the consumer will survive.

Also subscriptions are not paid to MS they are paid to the content provider.. MS are providing tools to allow content owners to protect thier content.. As such they are more comfortable in realising titles hopeing that they wont be for sale at 80c in the chinese market within a week. Where else can you buy High Def DVD's right now.

And then before this, Microsoft tried to "kill" the mp3 format with their own proprietary WMA format. Of course, you cannot play WMA files on an iPod, and you can only stream WMA from Micorosoft servers (with a few trivial exceptions).

Microsoft is not attempting to kill MP3 merely provide another compression technology (one that I may add is far superior) WMA Pro will store pure loosless encoded music in up to 24/96 (way above CD quality @ 16/44.1) and in 8 channels.. Its called evolution !! Give me one example where MP3 beats WMA in any technical or subjective (duoble blind ABX) testing ??

MP3 was great at revolutionising audio compression but its not the be all and end all of audio codecs. The fact the Ipod wont take WMA is MS's fault ?? Seems strange Apple can get it to play AAC and even AAC lossless... Now who is playing my format or else games ??

Also note WMA can be streamed from any server / host not purely MS based one.

Lastly yes WMP is teid into windows and thier MAC efforst are pretty hopeless.. Mac developers have every right to look at the whitepapers and SDK's to develop suitable and better WMP alternatives that still work within the DRM framework.

Full disclosure I am one of the moderators of the nets largest HTPC (Home Theatre PC) forum and an MS MVP. That does not stop me being very critical of some of the corporate choices pushed down on the people working on the ground level.

Mozilla has both browser and email. Mozilla Firefox is a standalone browser. Mozilla Thunderbird is Mozilla's standalone email client.

excuse my computer ignorance but how do you get the mozilla e-mail. I have been using the browser for 2 weeks now and I like it alot so I thought I would try the e-mail also. That is if some explains how to get it to me.

thanks