Deaths in Thailand

What would my Thai wife need to do in terms of Embassy contact when I eventually die in Thailand? 

I have just made a will where she is the sole beneficiary of all my Thai assets. And I am happy for her to do whatever she wants with my body when I die, although she is likely to go full Buddhist/Temple rites.

Who should she contact at the Embassy and on what phone number, after I die? What documents will she need to provide in order to get the Embassy's consent to dispose of me?

Thanks.

• Like 1

I'm a senior Belgian. Not far in years from the Final Departure.

As a citizen of another country things will be different for you but here is what it is for me.

* I made a document in French-English-Thai stipulating that I have no relatives nor anybody to contact in Belgium or anywhere else when I die and naming my Thai wife as the sole person to take care of my funerals.

This document has been notarized by the Belgian Consulate in BKK and a copy kept there in my file.

* The Belgian Consulate will require three Death Certificates legalized by the MFA at ChaengWattana.

They will keep two and give one back to my widow translated on request free in French by the Consulate.

* My death will be made registered in the Belgium National Register by the Consulate.

Of course I've made all the Final Wills necessary to make her the sole inheritor of whatever I'll leave behind.

Edited by jayceenik
  • Like 1

On 10/21/2021 at 8:42 AM, sharecropper said:

What would my Thai wife need to do in terms of Embassy contact when I eventually die in Thailand? 

I have just made a will where she is the sole beneficiary of all my Thai assets. And I am happy for her to do whatever she wants with my body when I die, although she is likely to go full Buddhist/Temple rites.

Who should she contact at the Embassy and on what phone number, after I die? What documents will she need to provide in order to get the Embassy's consent to dispose of me?

Thanks.

Hello @sharecropper

As your wife is regarded as your legal Next-of-Kin then she will usually be the sole decision maker on what happens to your funeral arrangements when you die. The British Embassy will firstly require formal confirmation of your death from the Thai Authorities (This would typically be from the Royal Thai Police or hospital, if death occurred there).

The Embassy would then issue a Consular Letter to your wife, which gives authority for your body to be released from the place of death into the care of whoever she decides is taking care of funeral arrangements.

For more information please see link below:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/what-to-do-after-a-british-person-dies-in-thailand"

10 hours ago, British Consular Team said:

Hello @sharecropper

As your wife is regarded as your legal Next-of-Kin then she will usually be the sole decision maker on what happens to your funeral arrangements when you die. The British Embassy will firstly require formal confirmation of your death from the Thai Authorities (This would typically be from the Royal Thai Police or hospital, if death occurred there).

The Embassy would then issue a Consular Letter to your wife, which gives authority for your body to be released from the place of death into the care of whoever she decides is taking care of funeral arrangements.

For more information please see link below:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/what-to-do-after-a-british-person-dies-in-thailand"

Great link and thanks for the reply. What is the usual delay in terms of (hopefully) days for obtaining the consular letter after the relevant documents are submitted, and does my wife have to go and hang around outside the Embassy trying to get to see someone - or can it all be done online?

Thanks.

14 hours ago, sharecropper said:

Great link and thanks for the reply. What is the usual delay in terms of (hopefully) days for obtaining the consular letter after the relevant documents are submitted, and does my wife have to go and hang around outside the Embassy trying to get to see someone - or can it all be done online?

Info from the link:

Get a Consular Letter

Thai local authorities need a Consular Letter from the embassy before they release the body for burial, cremation or repatriation. The next of kin must provide proof they are related to the person that died and inform the embassy in writing who they have requested to make the arrangements. If someone other than the next of kin is making the arrangements, they need to provide a copy of their passport and Thai ID before the Consular Letter can be issued.

14 hours ago, sharecropper said:

Thanks.

Hi @sharecropper. As soon as the Embassy receives official notification of your death, and confirmation of your wife’s wishes, then a Consular Letter can be issued during any working day. Your wife simply needs to let us know when she requires the letter and we will work with her to ensure that she, or an appointed Funeral Director, can collect it from the Embassy by prior appointment and with the minimum of delay. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Info from the link:

Get a Consular Letter

Thai local authorities need a Consular Letter from the embassy before they release the body for burial, cremation or repatriation. The next of kin must provide proof they are related to the person that died and inform the embassy in writing who they have requested to make the arrangements. If someone other than the next of kin is making the arrangements, they need to provide a copy of their passport and Thai ID before the Consular Letter can be issued.

My question "or can it all be done online?' pertains to this: is this informing 'in writing' something to be sent by post/EMS, or in this day and age can it be done by email?

The next of kin must provide proof they are related to the person that died and inform the embassy in writing 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, British Consular Team said:

Hi @sharecropper. As soon as the Embassy receives official notification of your death, and confirmation of your wife’s wishes, then a Consular Letter can be issued during any working day. Your wife simply needs to let us know when she requires the letter and we will work with her to ensure that she, or an appointed Funeral Director, can collect it from the Embassy by prior appointment and with the minimum of delay. 

Thanks, so if I draft something in advance that says:

"I am the wife of W, I attach a copy of our marriage certificate dated X.

My husband died of Y. I attach a copy of his death certificate dated Z.

I need a Consular letter so I can dispose of his remains as soon as possible".

Will that suffice?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2021 at 8:23 AM, sharecropper said:

Thanks, so if I draft something in advance that says:

"I am the wife of W, I attach a copy of our marriage certificate dated X.

My husband died of Y. I attach a copy of his death certificate dated Z.

I need a Consular letter so I can dispose of his remains as soon as possible".

Will that suffice?

@British Consular Team

Any comments on this drafting?

I think it would assist a lot of people if they knew what their spouses will need to draft for the notification and receipt of consular letter?

Many thanks.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 8:23 AM, BritManToo said:

Would just like to point out we don't all live in Bangkok.

I live in the far North. Does the Consulate really expect a grieving wife to travel to Bangkok, to collect this? Can it be done by an email attachment?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...