My Dog Needs a New Car

31 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

What I don't get OP is that you can't be thinking of leaving your dog in your car while you're having lunch at the beach? Would be more lethal than any "restaurant strays pack", wouldn't?

Did you actually read the post....?

Swimming....frisbee......second beach deserted....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Given the level of poverty here I find the idea of buying a car for a dog sick. Just buy a stick if you are scared of street dogs. But the way you describe it I would say you are not welcome at the restaurant nor will your dog be welcome.

Do you people even read posts before you criticize....?

I am very welcome at the restaurant; have been since 2010.

Not scared of any dogs, just protecting my own 6-month-old pup who cannot defend herself.

Edited by HeijoshinCool
Fed up with idiots

15 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Seems a bit ott.

You should just carefully introduce you dog to the dogs at the restaurant.

After meeting you and your dog a few times they will be fine.

I tried that a few years back. No dice. These dogs are truly vicious. And last count there were 5 of them. 

Do you also consider the eventual scratches those resto dogs go make on your car when they notice the puppy intruder ....?

Or as my big German sheppard  "eated " a big chunk out my ( that time ) Oldsmobile cutlass Supreme dashboard ...just out of frustration another dog was roaming around the Olds. And he could not engage that one .....Expensive repair 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, david555 said:

Do you also consider the eventual scratches those resto dogs go make on your car when they notice the puppy intruder ....?

Or as my big German sheppard  "eated " a big chunk out my ( that time ) Oldsmobile cutlass Supreme dashboard ...just out of frustration another dog was roaming around the Olds. And he could not engage that one .....Expensive repair 

No, because she will be inside and is very obedient. When I tell her to lie down, she does. They won't see her.

Just need to make it to that second beach....

Just now, HeijoshinCool said:

No, because she will be inside and is very obedient. When I tell her to lie down, she does. They won't see her.

Just need to make it to that second beach....

O.K.

i thought you just would keep the dog in car while dining at the restaurant 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, david555 said:

O.K.

i thought you just would keep the dog in car while dining at the restaurant 

Oh, heck no. When I eat, I take the scooter and go alone.

The vehicle is so I can take her past the restaurant, to the next beach over and swim and play frisbee.

Restaurant dogs never come there as there is no food there!

1 minute ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Oh, heck no. When I eat, I take the scooter and go alone.

The vehicle is so I can take her past the restaurant, to the next beach over and swim and play frisbee.

unless there would be "a lady dog in heath "   ????

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, HeijoshinCool said:

How much are they?

Less than 1/3 of what you had in mind, thats NEW ! A used one can go from 18k baht, take a look on Facdbook marketplace for used, or local motorcycle shops for New.

2 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Okay, I'll probably hear all kinds of comments, but this is serious for me...

Thanks for starting this thread.

Lots of fun reading it and great photos.

I do not have a solution to your problem but.....

I walk every morning and there are up to 20 street dogs on the walk.

Left pocket - dog treats.

Right hand  - a very solid 1.3 meter stick.

For a few weeks, walk past the restaurant (alone) and give the dogs a treat. If they misbehave, a sharp 'tap' with the stick.

Then when you walk with your best friend, they will come for the treat. If they misbehave a sharper tap with the stick.

Eventually the dogs will just come for the treat.

This works. Sometimes, a friend's dog will follow me (for the treats). When we get near the street dogs, I put him on a lead. A few 'fights' at the beginning, but now - the old 'fight or flight' has an addition. Flight, fight or food.

If you still want a vehicle, a Mitsubishi Mirage hatchback is ideal. Cheap, reliable and easier to park in a town than a truck. Back seats down - perfect for your friend.

Trucks are usually cheaper because of the tax.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, HeijoshinCool said:

They will smell her.

Sense of Smell

While humans tend to view the world in terms of sight, dogs do so with their sense of smell. Although a human brain is ten times larger, the part that controls smell is 40 million times larger in dogs! While we have up to five million scent receptors, dogs can have as many as 300 million, though this varies depending on the breed. So in other words, there are certain dog breeds that have a sense of smell that is ten million times stronger than that of humans!

• Like 2

Seems silly to buy a car solely for this reason.

Why not get a small trailer for the bike and put the dog inside a dog cage on the trailer? You could get both for under 10,000 Baht, never mind 10,000 USD.

Like this, but with the dog in a cage. Cover the sides of the cage with 'future board' or something if you don't want the other dogs to see the pup.

Not me by the way, googled it. Although I do have a similar setup on our farm for moving things like water pumps, logs, plants etc. and it works fine as long as you keep the speeds sensible.

image.png.fa691cb252bc3e7d24a3bad2d35f9994.png

My old Chow Chow loves riding shotgun in my Toyota Avanza. It’s no frills and fully Toyota reliable. Good road clearance and plenty of room inside. Great value and Toyota service stations are second to none.

The pup may need a leg-up to get onto the front seat!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

Thanks for starting this thread.

Lots of fun reading it and great photos.

I do not have a solution to your problem but.....

I walk every morning and there are up to 20 street dogs on the walk.

Left pocket - dog treats.

Right hand  - a very solid 1.3 meter stick.

For a few weeks, walk past the restaurant (alone) and give the dogs a treat. If they misbehave, a sharp 'tap' with the stick.

Then when you walk with your best friend, they will come for the treat. If they misbehave a sharper tap with the stick.

Eventually the dogs will just come for the treat.

This works. Sometimes, a friend's dog will follow me (for the treats). When we get near the street dogs, I put him on a lead. A few 'fights' at the beginning, but now - the old 'fight or flight' has an addition. Flight, fight or food.

If you still want a vehicle, a Mitsubishi Mirage hatchback is ideal. Cheap, reliable and easier to park in a town than a truck. Back seats down - perfect for your friend.

Trucks are usually cheaper because of the tax.

That is worth a try, and I had thought of it. But, oddly, I almost never see the dogs until another dog shows up, and then they all shoot out from different directions.

If it were two or three, it might not be impossible, but there are 5, and much more aggressive than the typical soi cur, and they do bite, not just charge and bark.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

They will smell her.

Sense of Smell

While humans tend to view the world in terms of sight, dogs do so with their sense of smell. Although a human brain is ten times larger, the part that controls smell is 40 million times larger in dogs! While we have up to five million scent receptors, dogs can have as many as 300 million, though this varies depending on the breed. So in other words, there are certain dog breeds that have a sense of smell that is ten million times stronger than that of humans!

I've lived there since 2010. I had three dogs at one time, and we all went to the second beach. Even when they chased after us (my driving a Nissan NV and the dogs in the back) they all would stop before they got 100 feet away from the restaurant, and dash back to the restaurant.

Couldn't take a chance on missing any food....

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Seems silly to buy a car solely for this reason.

Why not get a small trailer for the bike and put the dog inside a dog cage on the trailer? You could get both for under 10,000 Baht, never mind 10,000 USD.

Like this, but with the dog in a cage. Cover the sides of the cage with 'future board' or something if you don't want the other dogs to see the pup.

Not me by the way, googled it. Although I do have a similar setup on our farm for moving things like water pumps, logs, plants etc. and it works fine as long as you keep the speeds sensible.

image.png.fa691cb252bc3e7d24a3bad2d35f9994.png

That looks doable. Wish I had my welder, but cheap enough here to have someone in town do it.

I'll save the pic and show it to the local guy who does stuff like this....

Thanks.

Dogs are very social by nature. 

They are pack animals with a simple social structure. 

I remember having the same reservations taking my dog to the beach years ago. 

The situation was exactly the same. 

After a few trips, and a few tense moments, my dog was accepted by all. 

It did help that I took scraps along and distracted them at first. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, northsouthdevide said:

Well, d@mn....

There goes my only excuse for buying a new truck!

Thanks a lot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Suggestions for other vehicles at a cheaper price would be appreciated. Anything available for under $10,000?

Any other suggestions are welcome, but they have 5 dogs and they are not going to lock them up just for me

Maybe buy a decant quad bike with a rack/basket for your dog to ride safely.

Cheap to run, good off-road.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, northsouthdevide said:

I wonder if the initial rumpus is a matter of sorting out who is who in the pecking order?

Once everyone knows their place they will settle down.........although I did have a dog once and its sole aim in life was to kill every other dog on the face of the earth.....nightmare.

• Haha 1