My Dog Needs a New Car

Okay, I'll probably hear all kinds of comments, but this is serious for me...

I live in a very rural area with a few great neighbors. I have only a scooter to get around on, as that is all I have ever needed.

At the end of the road is a 200-meter-long isolated beach that, despite being isolated, has a nice little restaurant where you can eat a meal with your toes in the sand. I eat there numerous times per week. The owners are so-so friendly, but are not going to change their ways.

Go past that to the end of the asphalt, and a dirt road goes a bit farther to another beach, even less travelled. This one is about a football field long, has some good fishing and spearfishing, and I have rarely seen anyone on it. 

I have a new pup, and I'll be d@mned if she is going to be denied going with me to swim and play frisbee. I could easily teach her to ride with me on the motorbike, but that won't work. They will kill her.

Those of you who have lived here long enough know what goes hand in hand with rural restaurants.....

Yep. Restaurant dogs. And these guys are vicious to any outside dog. They would kill my baby without hesitation. I have bear spray, but that would start a war I can't win. Talking to the owners would be a waste of time.

So I have only one solution that I can think of.....

Buy a vehicle just for my dog. 

Gotta be new. A warranty is a must. I looked at MG Pickups at only $16,000. (No, I don't care about the Wuhan virus and buying Chinese.)

Suggestions for other vehicles at a cheaper price would be appreciated. Anything available for under $10,000?

Any other suggestions are welcome, but they have 5 dogs and they are not going to lock them up just for me.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

If you don't think you'll need 4 wheel drive, I peeked at the MG and  really like it, especially the price point.  We went with the MG ZS, as don't really need a truck, and wife prefers (I do also) auto trans.  All the other 'full' size pick ups seem to start in silly price-land.

Just over 1 yr old, ZS, got 25,500 kms on it, no issues, and unless an oops in the future, or something else catches my eye, would have no problem buying another MG.  Next car, if there is one, will be an EV, and MG offers a couple nice versions of them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If you don't think you'll need 4 wheel drive, I peeked at the MG and  really like it, especially the price point.  We went with the MG ZS, as don't really need a truck, and wife prefers (I do also) auto trans.  All the other 'full' size pick ups seem to start in silly price-land.

Just over 1 yr old, ZS, got 25,500 kms on it, no issues, and unless an oops in the future, or something else catches my eye, would have no problem buying another MG.  Next car, if there is one, will be an EV, and MG offers a couple nice versions of them.

Don't need 4WD. Don't even need a truck, though that's what I've always driven.

Just something to stuff the dog in safely. Never drive it more than 20 miles from home to go to Makro. Usually I call my Song Taew driver for that....

What, if I may ask, did you pay for the ZS?

Edited by HeijoshinCool

12 minutes ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Don't need 4WD. Don't even need a truck, though that's what I've always driven.

Just something to stuff the dog in safely. Never drive it more than 20 miles from home to go to Makro. Usually I call my Song Taew driver for that....

What, if I may ask, did you pay for the ZS?

660k, I think, for the 700k mid version, as they had a promo.   think it starts at 689k now.  At the time, entry was 659, I think, then 700, top model 800k.  EV version 1.2.  One of the cheapest, and smallest SUVs out there.   This thread may interest you, click on top link, next to my profile pic, go to last page, have link of SUVs available now:

Edited by KhunLA

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

Ford had a model named the Greyhound, and Willies-Overland debuted a car named the Whippet .........any help?

Well, the first is what I used to travel on back in the 60s......

That's as far as this reply goes.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

660k, I think, for the 700k mid version, as they had a promo.   think it starts at 689k now.  At the time, entry was 659, I think, then 700, top model 800k.  EV version 1.2.  One of the cheapest, and smallest SUVs out there.   This thread may interest you:

Thanks, perusing it now. Seems the base MG pickup is cheaper than any of the cars....

So that would leave some brand of car under $10k, or I'd just go with the truck.

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

Buy a Honda Wave with a sidecar. 

I used to drive a sweet Nissan NV. Had my dogs in the back, who have all since passed, when I drove down to the beach.

The restaurant dogs considered it quite fun to scratch the hell out of the bed, as they could see my dogs, and I could not drive fast down that road. A few times one almost made it into the bed.

So even if I bought a pickup, little Jing would be inside, not in the bed.

Otherwise, I like your idea!

• Like 1

We got a Fortuner for the dog, it's great. We put the dog bed on the 3rd row of seats then fold the 2nd row forward and it creates a nice space for the dog. We can put her in through any rear door in the car and she'll go straight to her spot.

• Like 1