Agent has done a runner

must be a damn clever agent to get building access, past security, acquire 25 sets of unique apt. keys & unique utility bills, without owner keys handover and make 25 contracts…. and fool all those Tenants ……all without Owner knowledge…. or knowledge of “ real” Owner Agent ( there must have beenone) …..MI6 Agent level…..wasted in the renting business. of course basic rental contract practices & law apply. non- resident Owners of multiple condos will nearly always typically & legally appoint agents. OP doesn’t give sufficient detail so we are left to guess the blanks. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Henryford said:

Who pays 6 or 12 months rent in advance, in Thailand. That was the biggest mistake. Just asking for someone to take it and run. Under English law you might be able to argue the agent was acting on behalf of the owner but here just not worth the cost of taking it through the courts. What was the loss @50,000 baht?

I rent houses always and pay 6-12 months in advance, its worth it really

7 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

yet another reason not to rent here…..they just keep crawling out of the woodwork…. 

Been renting 16 years now and never a bad experience (no agents) apart from the first house rental when after 3 years the owner suggested i buy the house but leave it in her name

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

“Been renting 16 years now and never a bad experience”

except 4-5 million baht lost rent ? but avoided Dead Capital I know. and not having your own home to cherish / extend/ renovate/ decorate / furnish / sell / rent out.

how does 5k per month work out to 4-5 million?

Thing is a condo is of no use to me and as i cant own a house renting was the only option

Edited by tingtongfarang
smelling mistakes
  • Like 1

5k. a month. says it all really. wont even ask what or where you get for that. but you seem settled & happy there. which is all that matters for a home really. so thats the deal of the century then. less than my 7k Common Fund ! you can own leasehold or with thai company.  but not economic at that level ……

10 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

5k. a month. says it all really. wont even ask what or where you get for that. but you seem settled & happy there. which is all that matters for a home really. so thats the deal of the century then. less than my 7k Common Fund ! you can own leasehold or with thai company.  but not economic at that level ……

At the moment a very large nice 3 bedroom bungalow in the quiet burbs of bkk, wonderful and in some ways a hiso area 6k rent

BTW i enjoy moving every few years, if i owned anywhere that would,nt be so easy

Edited by tingtongfarang

tingtong: thats seems incredible. not a commercial rent. good information btw. but how is that economic for owner. unless you are a friend/ housesitter/security guard to keep the place clean and deter squatters & burglars ? more economic to sell surely? thais intending to pass on to their family when dead perhaps ? I’ m a Phuket West Coaster myself. Done with City Living. But your place sounds ideal for you ! 

I’ve always rented from a company/ condo office. Never had a problem. So when I rent a new one, and pay my rent monthly ( with contract ) how do I know where the moneys going to ? I get a receipt, ok, what else should I get ? 

On 10/22/2021 at 2:19 PM, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Yes I have her Thai ID number (didn’t take a copy of, but verified the number on the contract matched the card) and know her real name. She has purged all her Facebook accounts, but left a few things up on other sites that are harder to take down, and some are cached.

as I say, lots of people in my building are in the same boat as me, actually most are in much worse as they paid all upfront. 

Very difficult to 'really' purge an FB account.

On 10/22/2021 at 2:28 AM, FridgeMagnet1 said:

But if the owner says I have to leave, do I have a legal

Leg to stand on?

There is basically no rule of law in Thailand, and you'll soon understand the full meaning of that.  If you had the money and years/decades to fund a team of lawyers (which would far exceed the amount of rent lost), you might prevail, if you are a Thai citizen.

Any contract in Thailand isn't worth the paper it's written on and the 'justice' system is simply a tool for the wealthy to batter the less-wealthy.  So, if you're rich and Thai you'll get your money back and will not be thrown out of your rental.  If not, you should pack your bags and move on.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 9:37 AM, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Contract is between me and the property manager. I guess that’s the problem here, she breaks the contract and does a runner and im left without anything between me and the owner.

should have gone with my gut and walked away from this before signing. 

im used to dealing with owners direct in BKK rather than dodgy 

Contract with an agent and not with the owner? Alarm bells shld have gone off. 

Only the person owning the property can rent out. "Agent" is just an appointed link between you & the owner because owner isn't in Thailand.

I had a similar situation happen to me 15 years ago or so. One of the ladies working in the Juristic office of a complex rented me a unit and had me pay 6 months up front. A month or so later the owner showed up and told me he had not been paid. As I had the lease and receipt, I went to the local police station and initiated a complaint. They forwarded it to the local officer that covers that complex.

So the officer sets up a 3 way meeting between me, the owner and the jursitic lady. Here he told the owner I needed to be allowed to stay and he could collect the money from the juristic lady.

Soon after that, I found out what was really going on. The local cop was a loan shark who had loaned money to the juristic lady. My rent money was actually paid to the cop to cover her debt. As it was apparent to the cop that I was not going to take it quietly, I guess he decided to give the loss to the Thai owner. Any real investigation would have uncovered the loan sharking, etc.

The fridge in the unit did not work and the juristic lady "borrowed" one from somebody else's unit, without permission of course. At least the Thai owner got a new fridge out of it.

I arranged for the juristic lady to be fired. 

On 10/22/2021 at 8:23 AM, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Yes, but the issue there is that the owner is in China and there is really no way of me getting anything out of him unless he is feeling generous. 

He might as well just write it off and turf me out, as he can’t do anything to the agent from there 

How is the owner going to turf you out if he/she is in China? Stay put and enjoy the rest of your contract. The issue is between the owner and the agen and not you. IMO.

1 hour ago, gargamon said:

I had a similar situation happen to me 15 years ago or so. One of the ladies working in the Juristic office of a complex rented me a unit and had me pay 6 months up front. A month or so later the owner showed up and told me he had not been paid. As I had the lease and receipt, I went to the local police station and initiated a complaint. They forwarded it to the local officer that covers that complex.

So the officer sets up a 3 way meeting between me, the owner and the jursitic lady. Here he told the owner I needed to be allowed to stay and he could collect the money from the juristic lady.

Soon after that, I found out what was really going on. The local cop was a loan shark who had loaned money to the juristic lady. My rent money was actually paid to the cop to cover her debt. As it was apparent to the cop that I was not going to take it quietly, I guess he decided to give the loss to the Thai owner. Any real investigation would have uncovered the loan sharking, etc.

The fridge in the unit did not work and the juristic lady "borrowed" one from somebody else's unit, without permission of course. At least the Thai owner got a new fridge out of it.

I arranged for the juristic lady to be fired. 

All kinds of underhand arrangements go on that many are unaware of. You did well to remedy the situation.

23 hours ago, Nip said:

I...

The third one I rented, after two weeks the owner accused me of switching the expensive batteries in the TV remote for cheap ones. ...

Lol - there are some real nutters out there! ????

• Like 1

I got seriously cheated 35+ years ago with my very first rental contract. 

Lesson thereof is; ever payment for anything ever since went through bank channels. In the past tedious queueing at the counters or writing cheques, today internet banking. Some did not like it, two flatly refused it - for taxation reasons = I walked. Never ever lost any argument of non-payment. 

Above refers to clear paperwork, which you understand after having done your homework. 

On 10/22/2021 at 3:06 PM, Zikomat said:

6 months up front payments? Those people were, most probably, offered greatly discounted rates and are now being punished for the greediness.

Ive seen in Phuket landlords asking for 12 months up front, 

5 hours ago, Letseng said:

Contract with an agent and not with the owner? Alarm bells shld have gone off. 

Only the person owning the property can rent out. "Agent" is just an appointed link between you & the owner because owner isn't in Thailand.

Unless the agent had a POA 

• Like 1