Smart advice for non-smart duffer re smart TVs

Toolong

1 hour ago, Toolong said:

Just noticed your post, Bruno. 

Interesting. And useful. Have seen Google TV and Android TV on advertising boards and was wondering what all that meant. I shall have to google these options to know more precisely what they are, the differences & what they offer, etc....but I shall bear in mind what you say.

To be honest, Bruno, it is because I see these words & terms on display boards, without knowing what it all means  that I posted this in the first place!  My head spins at it all.

Then, I read a response to your post by lopburi3 - which to me sounds like it might apply in my case a bit (but I'm not sure!) - and am now sitting here smiling at how one can get more confused the more one seeks to become less confused! 

I remember with early desk top computers, it seemed to me the only considerations were ensuring you had the latest 'Pentium' thingy and so much 'ram'! 

Having said all that.....I'm still getting - from detailed posts like yours & lopburi3's etc, - a better general idea, and so I do appreciate your post, thanks. ????

If you are happy to buy a Chinese TV; you find it difficult to beat this on price: https://www.mi.com/th/product/mi-tv-p1-55/

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Only for some - for normal Thai channels suspect it would likely not be a good choice as they have channel data onscreen and OLED is subject to burn more than LED.  It also needs darker viewing area so not an advantage for normal TV use.  The service life is also questionable.  To pay more seems counter productive unless for a home theater type install to me. 

OLED has had a bit of a bad press for burn-in . Modern OLED's have built in technology to deal with the problem. 

"Burn-in is possible with OLED, but not likely with normal use.

Most "burn-in" is actually image retention, which goes away after a few minutes.

You'll almost certainly see image retention long before it becomes permanent burn-in.

Generally speaking, burn-in is something to be aware of, but not worry about."

OLED screen burn-in: How to prevent it (and why you shouldn't be worried) - CNET

If normal TV use is to only watch live TV in a bright sunlit room maybe OLED is not for you.

I have had an OLED now for over 2 years and all I can say is "WOW". What was I doing before OLED?

2 hours ago, Toolong said:

The logos cause this 'burn'?

anything static on the screen for long periods of time can cause "burn in" logos are the worst culprit   old phosure tube tv's,plasma and OLED are quite susceptible, apparently "normal" LED tvs are much less susceptible but they can still be effected if the image is static long enough.

1 hour ago, johng said:

anything static on the screen for long periods of time can cause "burn in" logos are the worst culprit   old phosure tube tv's,plasma and OLED are quite susceptible, apparently "normal" LED tvs are much less susceptible but they can still be effected if the image is static long enough.

*affected ????

On 10/22/2021 at 9:53 PM, Toolong said:

I'm definitely interested. I'm a name brand man, USUALLY......but I really think I should maybe rethink that. ????????

Over the last 10 years, I've had a number of TCL TV's and have never had a maintenance issue with any of them.  The only reason I had many was because I was continually trading for up-size and more advanced picture quality as the prices dropped every year.  Prices have recently been going up because of the weak Baht and supply chain issues.

TCL did not get to be the worlds largest selling brand selling "disposable garbage".  

Among reliable reviewers in the press and on YouTube, TCL is considered by most to be the best value TV on the market. Also, currently HISENSE TV's are very well thought of as well.

Not necessarily the finest picture quality of all...that pretty much goes to premium LG and Sony units but they will also cost upwards of four times as much.   

Most average viewers can not see the differences unless they are side-by-side. 

If the OP is really more comfortable buying a brand he knows, there are excellent TV's from all the major manufacturers: Panasonic, LG, Sony, Samsung, ect.  They just cost more; feature to feature.

Regarding Thai broadcast TV, almost every TV now sold has a digital tuner built in.  You will not need a converter box though you may need an antennae.  Unless you are in a remote area, most small and inexpensive antennae's will do the job.  Don't let a salesperson sell you and expensive "high gain" unit.  it's usually a waste of money.  If you are in a remote area with a difficult signal, local TV shops are more likely to know what works best.

Good places to buy TV's, besides BigC and Tesco are HomePro, PowerBuy, IT City and Lazada online.   Since the OP says he has little experience with new TVs, I'd suggest maybe paying a bit more and buying from a retailer whos delivery people will also unbox and set-up the TV.  HomePro for one usually offers this service.

"Smart" TV's basically have a built-in computer, most running an Android system similar to many phones and tablets. People usually connect through their home wifi network.  The wifi receiver is also built-in.  If you don't have wifi, there are plans that the major mobile service providers have where you can use the phone signal but that tends to be a more expensive and slower option.    Through "Android TV, you will have access to YouTube (both Paid and free available), Netflix and a plethora of other streaming services; some free, some by subscription.

Most remotes are pretty confusing and take a while to figure out.  Some of the more expensive models have small, simpler remotes with "Voice search" now common but even voice search can be tricky.

Edited by dddave

how far will your wife be sitting from the tv and will she be viewing the tv straight ahead or her or at at an angle

Also will there be any direct lighting on the tv such as sunlight

I wouldn't get o focused on brands as you can have a TV that is unsuitable for your needs and one that is suitable both from the same brand

TV Size to Distance Calculator and Science

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

if she is sitting 15ft from the TV she is unlikely to see any benefit from a 4k 55" TV showing 4k Content

some tv's will have narrow viewing angles

some tv's will have wide viewing angles

some tv's will perform worse if there is direct sunlight on the TV compared to other TV's

• Like 1

20 hours ago, johng said:

Uhmmm ???? Thanks for that. ????

14 hours ago, dddave said:

Over the last 10 years, I've had a number of TCL TV's and have never had a maintenance issue with any of them.  The only reason I had many was because I was continually trading for up-size and more advanced picture quality as the prices dropped every year.  Prices have recently been going up because of the weak Baht and supply chain issues.

TCL did not get to be the worlds largest selling brand selling "disposable garbage".  

Among reliable reviewers in the press and on YouTube, TCL is considered by most to be the best value TV on the market. Also, currently HISENSE TV's are very well thought of as well.

Not necessarily the finest picture quality of all...that pretty much goes to premium LG and Sony units but they will also cost upwards of four times as much.   

Most average viewers can not see the differences unless they are side-by-side. 

If the OP is really more comfortable buying a brand he knows, there are excellent TV's from all the major manufacturers: Panasonic, LG, Sony, Samsung, ect.  They just cost more; feature to feature.

Regarding Thai broadcast TV, almost every TV now sold has a digital tuner built in.  You will not need a converter box though you may need an antennae.  Unless you are in a remote area, most small and inexpensive antennae's will do the job.  Don't let a salesperson sell you and expensive "high gain" unit.  it's usually a waste of money.  If you are in a remote area with a difficult signal, local TV shops are more likely to know what works best.

Good places to buy TV's, besides BigC and Tesco are HomePro, PowerBuy, IT City and Lazada online.   Since the OP says he has little experience with new TVs, I'd suggest maybe paying a bit more and buying from a retailer whos delivery people will also unbox and set-up the TV.  HomePro for one usually offers this service.

"Smart" TV's basically have a built-in computer, most running an Android system similar to many phones and tablets. People usually connect through their home wifi network.  The wifi receiver is also built-in.  If you don't have wifi, there are plans that the major mobile service providers have where you can use the phone signal but that tends to be a more expensive and slower option.    Through "Android TV, you will have access to YouTube (both Paid and free available), Netflix and a plethora of other streaming services; some free, some by subscription.

Most remotes are pretty confusing and take a while to figure out.  Some of the more expensive models have small, simpler remotes with "Voice search" now common but even voice search can be tricky.

Dddave...huge thanks for this comprehensive explanation of certain basics I needed (& wanted) to be aware of. 

Very, very helpful! ????????

I appreciate you (and others) taking the time to post it. 

13 hours ago, vinny41 said:

how far will your wife be sitting from the tv and will she be viewing the tv straight ahead or her or at at an angle

Also will there be any direct lighting on the tv such as sunlight

I wouldn't get o focused on brands as you can have a TV that is unsuitable for your needs and one that is suitable both from the same brand

TV Size to Distance Calculator and Science

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

if she is sitting 15ft from the TV she is unlikely to see any benefit from a 4k 55" TV showing 4k Content

some tv's will have narrow viewing angles

some tv's will have wide viewing angles

some tv's will perform worse if there is direct sunlight on the TV compared to other TV's

Oh crikey, Vinny.....now you've given me something ELSE to consider!! ????????

She'll be sitting directly opposite TV, about 8/9 feet away. No direct sunlight. Mostly evening viewing in darkish room. 

I haven't checked out your link yet, but will. Thanks for posting. ????

5 hours ago, Toolong said:

Oh crikey, Vinny.....now you've given me something ELSE to consider!! ????????

She'll be sitting directly opposite TV, about 8/9 feet away. No direct sunlight. Mostly evening viewing in darkish room. 

I haven't checked out your link yet, but will. Thanks for posting. ????

Toolong,

You might find this helpful is trying to locate a best value for money tv don't focus to much on model numbers as this is primarly for the UK

https://www.avforums.com/threads/new-my-best-value-tvs-2020-2021-edition.2325951/#post-28625711

based on your previous answers you should be looking at

TVs with narrow viewing angles, but better contrast, blacks and dark room/scene performance

Now one of the models they mention in the 55-60 section is the

Hisense 58A7100 (UK model number) if we look at the Hinsense Thailand website the same model is there . 58A7100F price 19,000 baht

https://www.hisense.co.th/products/overview/20

https://hisense.co.uk/tvs/

Another one worth a look; according to it's spec, price point and general recommendations here is this; https://www.jd.co.th/product/_26683568.html 

Here is a very detailed review of the smaller screen version: https://www-lcdtvthailand-com.translate.goog/review/review_tcl50c725-4k-qledtv/

Compromise looks to me to be the screen quality, with Global Dimming as opposed to Local Dimming. But the HiSense doesn't have Full Array Local Dimming either; plus you'll be stuck with their limited OS. It's a minefield out there ????

On 10/25/2021 at 4:11 PM, vinny41 said:

Toolong,

You might find this helpful is trying to locate a best value for money tv don't focus to much on model numbers as this is primarly for the UK

https://www.avforums.com/threads/new-my-best-value-tvs-2020-2021-edition.2325951/#post-28625711

based on your previous answers you should be looking at

TVs with narrow viewing angles, but better contrast, blacks and dark room/scene performance

Now one of the models they mention in the 55-60 section is the

Hisense 58A7100 (UK model number) if we look at the Hinsense Thailand website the same model is there . 58A7100F price 19,000 baht

https://www.hisense.co.th/products/overview/20

https://hisense.co.uk/tvs/

Thanks Vinny. Sorry for slow response. I will definitely check out the link. Interesting, because until very very recently I hadn't even heard of brands like Hisense and TCL (or is it TLC?!). I'll check it out. Cheers, and appreciate your recommendations. ????

3 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Thanks Vinny. Sorry for slow response. I will definitely check out the link. Interesting, because until very very recently I hadn't even heard of brands like Hisense and TCL (or is it TLC?!). I'll check it out. Cheers, and appreciate your recommendations. ????

It is TCL (Telephone Communication Limited - not The Learning Channel).  3rd largest maker of TV's for the last 5 years.

23 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Another one worth a look; according to it's spec, price point and general recommendations here is this; https://www.jd.co.th/product/_26683568.html 

Here is a very detailed review of the smaller screen version: https://www-lcdtvthailand-com.translate.goog/review/review_tcl50c725-4k-qledtv/

Compromise looks to me to be the screen quality, with Global Dimming as opposed to Local Dimming. But the HiSense doesn't have Full Array Local Dimming either; plus you'll be stuck with their limited OS. It's a minefield out there ????

'Minefield' is right, I reckon! ????

Thanks for links, Bruno. Trouble though for me, is that I can't easily assess the merits of these TVs when I can't even understand what the terms mean! 'Qled'....'Oled'.....' ????.....and 'Global Dimming' (Greta Thunberg hasn't mentioned that!)....wow!

But I'm gettin' there......thanks to kind advice from people like yourself, thanks!????

• Haha 1

Thanks for links, Bruno. Trouble though for me, is that I can't easily assess the merits of these TVs when I can't even understand what the terms mean! 'Qled'....'Oled'.....' ????.....and 'Global Dimming' (Greta Thunberg hasn't mentioned that!)....wow!

But I'm gettin' there......thanks to kind advice from people like yourself, thanks!????

Toolong Yes it is a minefield, If I was you I wouldn't get 2 hung up on the different terms

Start with working out

Min/Max Budget ( ideally 10K difference between min and max)

then decide min/max size (more often or not size is restricted to TV location or your wife may decide she doesn't want a certain size as it would dominated the room.

Then make a shortlist of TV's I would have 2 lists Chinese brands and well known brands

Oled Tv's prices start at around 35K for 48" going up to 100K plus

Full Array Local Dimming is not normally on lower end tv's prices start from 25K upwards

You Wife is partially correct in the view that a more expensive item must be better than a cheaper item

In that the more expensive item will have more options and better materals in the build

Local Dimming on TVs

Direct-Lit, Full-Array, and Edge-Lit

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/local-dimming

QLED vs OLED vs LED TVs

Which one is the best?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/qled-vs-oled-vs-led

You want Full Array Local Dimming; not Global Dimming or Ultra Dimming. 

The Chinese TVs may have the older version of Android TV; version 10. The latest version is 11 or Google TV.

9 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

You want Full Array Local Dimming; not Global Dimming or Ultra Dimming. 

The Chinese TVs may have the older version of Android TV; version 10. The latest version is 11 or Google TV.

Can you get Full Array Local Dimming on a 55" within a budget of 20K

5 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Yes; but then you miss out on other things. No Android TV/Google TV for example with the Hisense 55U7G. 

Not to be confused with the Hisense 55EU7G. There is little doubt that the Chinese TV brand marketing is designed to mislead. So you really have to be on the ball with them.

One might imagine they might be related, that the 55EU7G is a 55U7G with Android TV...but that is not the case.

On 10/27/2021 at 10:23 AM, vinny41 said:

Toolong Yes it is a minefield, If I was you I wouldn't get 2 hung up on the different terms

Start with working out

Min/Max Budget ( ideally 10K difference between min and max)

then decide min/max size (more often or not size is restricted to TV location or your wife may decide she doesn't want a certain size as it would dominated the room.

Then make a shortlist of TV's I would have 2 lists Chinese brands and well known brands

Oled Tv's prices start at around 35K for 48" going up to 100K plus

Full Array Local Dimming is not normally on lower end tv's prices start from 25K upwards

You Wife is partially correct in the view that a more expensive item must be better than a cheaper item

In that the more expensive item will have more options and better materals in the build

Local Dimming on TVs

Direct-Lit, Full-Array, and Edge-Lit

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/local-dimming

QLED vs OLED vs LED TVs

Which one is the best?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/qled-vs-oled-vs-led

Thanks Vinny. 

Very interesting. You mentioned OLEDs starting at around 35k and that is very helpful to know as I can at least rule them out!! I'm looking at 25/26000 baht max, possibly much much cheaper. 

So the link you kindly provided about QLED/OLED/LED etc, was also helpful as it explains some alternative terms that different brands may use but actually mean the same thing! ???? it's that kind of stuff that gets me so confused.....so I thank you for that useful link, as well as the other sound advice you kindly offer. 

Much appreciated. ????

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Toolong

Here one you might want to look at

HISENSE 65U7G 4K LED TV 65 INCH DOLBY VISION / ATMOS U7G SERIES 3 YEAR THAI CENTER WARRANTY 21,900 baht

https://www.lcdtvthailandshop.com/catagories/tv/hisense-tv/65u7g.html

Hopefully someone will come along and say you can do better with your max budget of 26000 baht but its a starting point

19 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Hopefully someone will come along and say you can do better with your max budget of 26000 baht but its a starting point

It's the same TV that I mentioned earlier: https://www.dignited.com/74255/vidaa-os-hisense-smart-tv-platform/

No clear choice without being able to view the quality of the TVs with your own eyes.

On paper, the OP may need to decide on which to give priority. Maybe read a bit more about the TV operating systems involved and decide whether that is something about which his wife would be interested.

Does she use  applications on Android for videos, music and entertainment? 

If no interest in that side of things; then the HiSense might make sense. In that case I would also compare it closely with the U8G

On 10/29/2021 at 2:39 AM, vinny41 said:

Toolong

Here one you might want to look at

HISENSE 65U7G 4K LED TV 65 INCH DOLBY VISION / ATMOS U7G SERIES 3 YEAR THAI CENTER WARRANTY 21,900 baht

https://www.lcdtvthailandshop.com/catagories/tv/hisense-tv/65u7g.html

Hey Vinny...

Sorry for late reply. That definitely sounds worth a look-see. Will check it out. Good specs and reasonable price.

Appreciate you sending the link. Thanks ????

• Thanks 1

On 10/29/2021 at 10:57 PM, Bruno123 said:

It's the same TV that I mentioned earlier: https://www.dignited.com/74255/vidaa-os-hisense-smart-tv-platform/

No clear choice without being able to view the quality of the TVs with your own eyes.

On paper, the OP may need to decide on which to give priority. Maybe read a bit more about the TV operating systems involved and decide whether that is something about which his wife would be interested.

Does she use  applications on Android for videos, music and entertainment? 

If no interest in that side of things; then the HiSense might make sense. In that case I would also compare it closely with the U8G

Will have a read up on TV operating systems (hopefully I'll be able to understand at least SOME of what it says!)

As for wife using apps on Android.....you mean like youtube? Netflix? Facebook?

(Thicko alert!.....Bruno....and others......I am unusually ignorant about what to most people is basic tech terminology!)

????