Smart advice for non-smart duffer re smart TVs

Toolong

1 minute ago, Toolong said:

Will have a read up on TV operating systems (hopefully I'll be able to understand at least SOME of what it says!)

As for wife using apps on Android.....you mean like youtube? Netflix? Facebook?

(Thicko alert!.....Bruno....and others......I am unusually ignorant about what to most people is basic tech terminology!)

????

Yes, that sort of thing, but Thai oriented for Thai speaking media.

If you are open to getting a separate Android Box or similar for the TV at some point; then the HiSense TV might not be a bad choice. The picture quality should be good; though cannot speak for their after sales service nor reliability. Though LCDTVTHAILAND look to be a decent retailer.

I've already posted a link describing HiSense's VIDAA U pros and cons.

Am also concerned the LCDTVTHAILAND has just one left at such a good price. Make sure that it is not a display model.

2 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Yes, that sort of thing, but Thai oriented for Thai speaking media.

If you are open to getting a separate Android Box or similar for the TV at some point; then the HiSense TV might not be a bad choice. The picture quality should be good; though cannot speak for their after sales service nor reliability. Though LCDTVTHAILAND look to be a decent retailer.

I've already posted a link describing HiSense's VIDAA U pros and cons.

Am also concerned the LCDTVTHAILAND has just one left at such a good price. Make sure that it is not a display model.

To be honest, Bruno (and all who've kindly offered useful info), I have just had a chat with my wife an hour ago about the good sense of considering TVs that are (often much)  less expensive than the big brand ones we've looked at, yet meet our needs just as sufficiently, etc. (Based on the advice from this site.)

Although politely listening & hearing me out I quickly sensed, from the subtlest of expressions on her face, what I'd predicted: that it would pay me in the long run, in all sorts of ways, to just go with what she originally fancied in the shop, an LG model at around 25000 baht. So that'll likely be the outcome, for better or worse! ????

Oh, the rich pageant of it all!

28 minutes ago, Toolong said:

To be honest, Bruno (and all who've kindly offered useful info), I have just had a chat with my wife an hour ago about the good sense of considering TVs that are (often much)  less expensive than the big brand ones we've looked at, yet meet our needs just as sufficiently, etc. (Based on the advice from this site.)

Although politely listening & hearing me out I quickly sensed, from the subtlest of expressions on her face, what I'd predicted: that it would pay me in the long run, in all sorts of ways, to just go with what she originally fancied in the shop, an LG model at around 25000 baht. So that'll likely be the outcome, for better or worse! ????

Oh, the rich pageant of it all!

Would have been better if you told that in the first place.

Then at least we could make an argument wherein you could show her the important differences, if any.

https://www.lcdtvthailandshop.com/catagories/tv/lg-tv/55nano75.html

https://www.lcdtvthailandshop.com/catagories/tv/lg-tv/55nano80tpa.html

https://www.lcdtvthailandshop.com/catagories/tv/lg-tv/55nano86tpa.html

Which one?

I have to state that LG appears to be equally misleading in their claims.

Only the 55nano86tpa claims to have Full Array Dimming Pro. Pro? What is that? Look at the specs and it states Edge Lit. So how can it be Full Array?

https://shopee.co.th/LG-NanoCell-4K-TV-รุ่น-55NANO86TPA-ขนาด-55-นิ้ว-(-55NANO86-)-**-ผ่อน-0-**-i.221665446.10807893649

I smell a rat!

Edited by Bruno123

18 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Would have been better if you told that in the first place.

Then at least we could make an argument wherein you could show her the important differences, if any.

https://www.lcdtvthailandshop.com/catagories/tv/lg-tv/55nano75.html

https://www.lcdtvthailandshop.com/catagories/tv/lg-tv/55nano80tpa.html

Which one?

Don't think he's interested in persuading the wife.

More interested in keeping her happy????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Don't think he's interested in persuading the wife.

More interested in keeping her happy????

If he wasn't interested, then he wouldn't have started this thread in the first place. Keeping her happy is good; if she can get what she wants+.

She won't be happy if the Local Dimming is rubbish and you have to turn it off anyway.

17 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

If he wasn't interested, then he wouldn't have started this thread in the first place. Keeping her happy is good; if she can get what she wants+.

She won't be happy if the Local Dimming is rubbish and you have to turn it off anyway.

I'd say he was interested in finding about about getting a good TV until the wife said "I want this one".

It's a useful thread anyway with lots of good advice.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I'd say he was interested in finding about about getting a good TV until the wife said "I want this one".

It's a useful thread anyway with lots of good advice.

His wife obviously stated that before he initiated the thread.

That's what I meant; if he already knew what she wanted; he could have posted the LG model number and then he would have been much better placed to convince her with specific points; rather than generalities.

Knowing the model number enabled me to show him issues with their 'Local Dimming'. That is something he could have shown to her.

44 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

That's what I meant; if he already knew what she wanted; he could have posted the LG model number and then he would have been much better placed to convince her with specific points; rather than generalities.

Knowing the model number enabled me to show him issues with their 'Local Dimming'. That is something he could have shown to her.

With all due respect, I don't think he wants to try and convince her. And TBH, it would be futile to try.

I'm not sure how the conversation would've gone on talking to her about local dimming.

If he was buying it for himself, it would be a different matter.

He's just paying for it.

33 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Fact is, no, my wife never actually verbalised that she specifically wanted a LG, but we have an LG in another place, that she's happy with. And that's her (understandable) mentally, more than it mine. 

I have been most genuinely willing to research and try and persuade her of the merits of  equally good less expensive, and perhaps even more appropiate (to her needs) brands & models. But.....I admit to a fear of opting for something other than LG that would, should anything about it dissatisfy her, be a cross to bear!! Sure, I know that sounds pathetic! ????????

But Bruno, right now I love your suggestion that I post the LG model number etc. Will do.

After comments about 'burning', which I wasn't before aware of, I'm concerned the it might be an issue with some TVs, even pricier ones, as she does watch a lot of Thai tv...with all the logos and ribbons running across the bottom of the screen etc. How to avoid or limit that burn?

So anyway I'll post the model number if I can find the pic i took the shop. If I can't...recall it was 2021 model LG 55inch 4k nanocell priced at around 26000 baht. 

Just now, Toolong said:

Fact is, no, my wife never actually verbalised that she specifically wanted a LG, but we have an LG in another place, that she's happy with. And that's her (understandable) mentally, more than it mine. 

I have been most genuinely willing to research and try and persuade her of the merits of  equally good less expensive, and perhaps even more appropiate (to her needs) brands & models. But.....I admit to a fear of opting for something other than LG that would, should anything about it dissatisfy her, be a cross to bear!! Sure, I know that sounds pathetic! ????????

But Bruno, right now I love your suggestion that I post the LG model number etc. Will do.

After comments about 'burning', which I wasn't before aware of, I'm concerned the it might be an issue with some TVs, even pricier ones, as she does watch a lot of Thai tv...with all the logos and ribbons running across the bottom of the screen etc. How to avoid or limit that burn?

So anyway I'll post the model number if I can find the pic i took the shop. If I can't...recall it was 2021 model LG 55inch 4k nanocell priced at around 26000 baht. 

Sorry...'mentality'!

2 minutes ago, Will27 said:

With all due respect, I don't think he wants to try and convince her. And TBH, it would be futile to try.

I'm not sure how the conversation would've gone on talking to her about local dimming.

If he was buying it for himself, it would be a different matter.

He's just paying for it.

You keep posting; but you are not reading.

I have just had a chat with my wife an hour ago about the good sense of considering TVs that are (often much)  less expensive than the big brand ones we've looked at, yet meet our needs just as sufficiently, etc.

That sounds as if he tried to convince her, doesn't it?

I can guarantee that he knew that she wanted an LG in the first place and he came to advice before splashing out.

So please....read, rather than just imagining. He started the thread because he didn't want to buy by brand, as his good wife suggested.

But since he didn't post the actual TV in mind; we couldn't help him best we could. 

Instead he tried to do a crash course on all of the terminology. 

With a specific TV for comparison; we could have lined up the pros and cons more easily for him to digest.

6 minutes ago, Toolong said:

I am guessing this one that I highlighted earlier: https://www.lg.com/my/tvs/lg-55nano86tpa

I have to state that LG appears to be equally misleading in their claims.

Only the 55nano86tpa claims to have Full Array Dimming Pro. Pro? What is that? Look at the specs and it states Edge Lit. So how can it be Full Array?

https://shopee.co.th/LG-NanoCell-4K-TV-รุ่น-55NANO86TPA-ขนาด-55-นิ้ว-(-55NANO86-)-**-ผ่อน-0-**-i.221665446.10807893649

Edited by Bruno123

1 minute ago, Bruno123 said:

You keep posting; but you are not reading.

That sounds as if he tried to convince her, doesn't it?

I can guarantee that he knew that she wanted an LG in the first place and he came to advice before splashing out.

So please....read, rather than just imagining. He started the thread because he didn't want to buy by brand, as his good wife suggested.

But since he didn't post the actual TV in mind; we couldn't help him best we could. 

Instead he tried to do a crash course on all of the terminology. 

With a specific TV for comparison; we could have lined up the pros and cons more easily for him to digest.

Have mercy, gents! ???? T'is an LG 55NANO80TPA.ATM model, 25,900 baht.

20211005_161156.jpg

20211005_161202.jpg

4 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Have mercy, gents! ???? T'is an LG 55NANO80TPA.ATM model, 25,900 baht.

20211005_161156.jpg

20211005_161202.jpg

Even worse. At least you can get the 86 for less or at least around the same online.

So if you will be forced to get the LG, at least you can buy top of the range and impress the wife further ????

2 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Even worse. At least you can get the 86 for less or at least around the same online.

So if you will be forced to get the LG, at least you can buy top of the range and impress the wife further ????

So difference in prices online vs in the shops is that great? I don't doubt you, Bruno. Just no experience buying online personally. Wow!

By the way....'impress the wife'? Nah....haven't done that for years! No, just to keep the lovely old thing off my back and to not be a potential target of criticism if the TV has probs. But yes, I understand if some people think this thread was a waste of time, I really do. But my initial query and intent was genuine. And it's been really useful.

And.....if anyone still has valid things to say about the LG that might yet make me change my mind, would love to hear it. ????????

4 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Here is a review of the USA 55NANO80TPA not good and the review stats

Value for price beaten by  : Hisense U6G which is the entry level for hisense

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/nano80-2020

But if that is the model your wife wants good luck

Vinny, this is the stuff I wanna know, so thanks...will check out link now.

3 minutes ago, Toolong said:

So difference in prices online vs in the shops is that great? I don't doubt you, Bruno. Just no experience buying online personally. Wow!

By the way....'impress the wife'? Nah....haven't done that for years! No, just to keep the lovely old thing off my back and to not be a potential target of criticism if the TV has probs. But yes, I understand if some people think this thread was a waste of time, I really do. But my initial query and intent was genuine. And it's been really useful.

And.....if anyone still has valid things to say about the LG that might yet make me change my mind, would love to hear it. ????????

No one thinks it was a waste of time...

A few people have remarked positively. 

10 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Here is a review of the USA 55NANO80TPA not good and the review stats

Value for price beaten by  : Hisense U6G which is the entry level for hisense

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/nano80-2020

But if that is the model your wife wants good luck

To be fair, that is the 2020 version. Not that one would expect the newer version to be much different.

It's just a bulk standard Edge Lit Quantum Dot/NanoCell screen. Edge lit is the cheapest screen type.

So they attach a cheap screen and then build the rest to a price; blinding their potential customers with 'science' to convince them.

Full Array Local Dimming Pro is not a nice thing to claim if the screen does not have a full array of LEDs.

But they claim it on the top of the range 86 model. Unpleasant. 

24 minutes ago, Toolong said:

If your wife has decided on LG I suggest you think about increasing your budget by 3,000 and reducing screen size to 48" then you have a choice of 3 LG OLED

C1 is 2021 model

A1 is 2021 model

CX is 2020 model

https://www.lg.com/th/compare?bizType=B2C

a1 is 28,990 from LG offical store here

https://shopee.co.th/-โค้ดLGXTA1200ลด1200-LG-48-OLED-4K-Smart-TV-รุ่น-OLED48A1-Self-Lighting-Dolby-Vision-Atmos-LG-ThinQ-AI-i.282578111.10955862108?sp_atk=45a35d81-229f-4b57-add3-9b3279f1ebaf

all lg oled prices here

https://shopee.co.th/search?facet=11045452&keyword=lg oled&noCorrection=true&order=desc&page=0&sortBy=price

US reviews here you see all OLED score green in all area's

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg

15 hours ago, vinny41 said:

If your wife has decided on LG I suggest you think about increasing your budget by 3,000 and reducing screen size to 48" then you have a choice of 3 LG OLED

As I pointed out earlier in this thread  a OLED  might not be the best choice if the  contents displayed in the TV has  long term static areas  like TV channel logos   which most Thai TV stations have.

Big C apparently have a special on at the moment LG 55 inch for about 17,000 baht.

16 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

To be fair, that is the 2020 version. Not that one would expect the newer version to be much different.

It's just a bulk standard Edge Lit Quantum Dot/NanoCell screen. Edge lit is the cheapest screen type.

So they attach a cheap screen and then build the rest to a price; blinding their potential customers with 'science' to convince them.

Full Array Local Dimming Pro is not a nice thing to claim if the screen does not have a full array of LEDs.

But they claim it on the top of the range 86 model. Unpleasant. 

Yes, after some youtubing research, I think you make an important point here.

7 minutes ago, johng said:

As I pointed out earlier in this thread  a OLED  might not be the best choice if the  contents displayed in the TV has  long term static areas  like TV channel logos   which most Thai TV stations have.

Big C apparently have a special on at the moment LG 55 inch for about 17,000 baht.

10 minutes ago, johng said:

Thanks Johng, will check out our local Big C today. ????

15 hours ago, vinny41 said:

C1 is 2021 model

A1 is 2021 model

CX is 2020 model

https://www.lg.com/th/compare?bizType=B2C

a1 is 28,990 from LG offical store here

https://shopee.co.th/-โค้ดLGXTA1200ลด1200-LG-48-OLED-4K-Smart-TV-รุ่น-OLED48A1-Self-Lighting-Dolby-Vision-Atmos-LG-ThinQ-AI-i.282578111.10955862108?sp_atk=45a35d81-229f-4b57-add3-9b3279f1ebaf

all lg oled prices here

https://shopee.co.th/search?facet=11045452&keyword=lg oled&noCorrection=true&order=desc&page=0&sortBy=price

US reviews here you see all OLED score green in all area's

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg

I'm getting a lot out of reading the links you kindly provided Vinny.......although, for someone like me (!), it can actually add to the confusion a bit! But I'm trying to filter it all down to key points.

45 minutes ago, johng said:

Yeah, but which LG? Certainly not the new Nanocell: https://www.bigc.co.th/lg-nanocell-4k-smart-tv-55-model-55nano75tpa.html

Ridiculous price for the bottom of the range model.

On 10/24/2021 at 1:32 PM, LosLobo said:

OLED has had a bit of a bad press for burn-in . Modern OLED's have built in technology to deal with the problem. 

"Burn-in is possible with OLED, but not likely with normal use.

Most "burn-in" is actually image retention, which goes away after a few minutes.

You'll almost certainly see image retention long before it becomes permanent burn-in.

Generally speaking, burn-in is something to be aware of, but not worry about."

OLED screen burn-in: How to prevent it (and why you shouldn't be worried) - CNET

If normal TV use is to only watch live TV in a bright sunlit room maybe OLED is not for you.

I have had an OLED now for over 2 years and all I can say is "WOW". What was I doing before OLED?

Loslobo.....sorry for slow response. Your post is really helpful and am learning a lot from the link re burn-in. Thanks! ????????

• Like 1