Smart advice for non-smart duffer re smart TVs

Toolong

It will be interesting if you wife can tell the difference between an oled TV versus a non oled tv some people can't.

Formost  people if there are imperfections on the TV screen their eyes always focus on the imperfections and it can causes distractions from actually watching the TV content.

Some TV's that have a wider viewing angle such as  the  LG 55NANO80TPA.ATM result in poor contrast

Black looks grey not inky black white is not a pure white more a off white

Its like your sitting on a train and opposite you is sitting a young version of brigitte bardot naked and on her face there is a huge mole and its pussing and it looks like its about to exploded. You turn away but a few minutes later your eyes will switched back to the mole

On 10/24/2021 at 1:32 PM, LosLobo said:

OLED has had a bit of a bad press for burn-in . Modern OLED's have built in technology to deal with the problem. 

"Burn-in is possible with OLED, but not likely with normal use.

Most "burn-in" is actually image retention, which goes away after a few minutes.

You'll almost certainly see image retention long before it becomes permanent burn-in.

Generally speaking, burn-in is something to be aware of, but not worry about."

OLED screen burn-in: How to prevent it (and why you shouldn't be worried) - CNET

If normal TV use is to only watch live TV in a bright sunlit room maybe OLED is not for you.

I have had an OLED now for over 2 years and all I can say is "WOW". What was I doing before OLED?

Cheers, Loslobo.....really useful. Appreciate this! Thanks.????

1 hour ago, johng said:

As I pointed out earlier in this thread  a OLED  might not be the best choice if the  contents displayed in the TV has  long term static areas  like TV channel logos   which most Thai TV stations have.

Big C apparently have a special on at the moment LG 55 inch for about 17,000 baht.

Interestingly enough OLED TV's have "Logo Luminescence Adjustment" which detects and reduces the brightness of TV channel logos and therefore burn-in.

11 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

It will be interesting if you wife can tell the difference between an oled TV versus a non oled tv some people can't.

Formost  people if there are imperfections on the TV screen their eyes always focus on the imperfections and it can causes distractions from actually watching the TV content.

Some TV's that have a wider viewing angle such as  the  LG 55NANO80TPA.ATM result in poor contrast

Black looks grey not inky black white is not a pure white more a off white

Its like your sitting on a train and opposite you is sitting a young version of brigitte bardot naked and on her face there is a huge mole and its pussing and it looks like its about to exploded. You turn away but a few minutes later your eyes will switched back to the mole

Glad you mentioned the LG 55nano80tpa as it was one I was considering. 

Doubt my wife could really discern subtler differences in picture quality, especially if shr's watching Thai mainstream TV channels.

I will discuss the Brigette Bardot analogy with the salespeople and see what they have to say. Could be interesting. ????

10 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Interestingly enough OLED TV's have "Logo Luminescence Adjustment" which detects and reduces the brightness of TV channel logos and therefore burn-in.

I was hoping they might have something like that. ????

3 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Glad you mentioned the LG 55nano80tpa as it was one I was considering. 

Doubt my wife could really discern subtler differences in picture quality, especially if shr's watching Thai mainstream TV channels.

I will discuss the Brigette Bardot analogy with the salespeople and see what they have to say. Could be interesting. ????

out of interest do you use 3BB as your internet provider as they do offer some good add-on Movie packages at a reasonable cost such as Monomaxx ( Mainly Thai language  series and Movies) although some in English and HBO GO mix of Thai language and english language movies and series and they recently added disney plus/hotstar which does have 4k content

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

out of interest do you use 3BB as your internet provider as they do offer some good add-on Movie packages at a reasonable cost such as Monomaxx ( Mainly Thai language  series and Movies) although some in English and HBO GO mix of Thai language and english language movies and series and they recently added disney plus/hotstar which does have 4k content

Yes, we use 3bb. The add-on packages you describe certainly sound interesting. I think my wife did ask them about 'some' kind of similar-sounding package, but they said it would take a month to get round to installing. It may not have been the package you're referring to. Perhaps something completely different. So I'll investigate that further. 

Cheers Vinny. ????

2 hours ago, Toolong said:

Yes, we use 3bb. The add-on packages you describe certainly sound interesting. I think my wife did ask them about 'some' kind of similar-sounding package, but they said it would take a month to get round to installing. It may not have been the package you're referring to. Perhaps something completely different. So I'll investigate that further. 

Cheers Vinny. ????

package I use is 3bb gigatainment 1 gbps / 500 download speed 1000 Mbps upload speed 500 Mbps  monthly payment 790 baht including HBO GO Monomaxx  and 49 baht per month for  disney plus/hotstar

My tv is a sony 2018 model came with Android 7 but Sony have provided Android updates to version 9

HBO GO, Monomaxx and disney plus/hotstar all run from the TV menu screen

https://ro5.3bb.co.th/00371/fiber.php?gclid=CjwKCAjwoP6LBhBlEiwAvCcthDUAyr1aRbAtuHIlAf8pEjcVmRSHCWg0LUKe6-HzRQc3d0AZjDgndhoC17AQAvD_BwE

You can see what is available content wise on HBO GO here

https://www.hbogo.co.th/ 

and monomax from here

https://www.monomax.me/

Disney Plus/hotstar here

https://www.hotstar.com/th

Edited by vinny41
added link
  • Like 1

Tips if you go looking for TV's

Never let salesperson know your budget, if you do they automatically know which 4 models they are going to show you and they know how much commission they will receive on each one.

Ideally ditch the minder/salesperson ( I hate it when people follow me around) if you see a model that you like just make a note of brand model number and price and lenght of warranty.

Go Home do your research on your selected models, check prices online also check warranty periods as some sellers import models in from China which might only come with 1 year warranty where the Thai version comes with 3 year warranty.

Ideally you want 3 years onsite if possible always keep the box has you might need to send back to service centre if onsite warranty not available.

Unless you go to a particular shop such as a sony store, LG store or Samsung store its a waste of time asking the salesperson what is the difference between Brand a and Brand B most of the time they wouldn't know

You need to show the salesperson that you have more knowledge about a TV model than them otherwise they will steer you in the direction of which TV is offering the most comission.

As a Rule I always walk away from any TV that doesn't come with a 3 year warranty  12 months warranty on TV is a joke

Also take a tape measure with you I always measure the stand as I have a table that is 120cm wide so if the TV stand is wider than 120 cm not an option for me unless I replace the table

my current tv is 152cm wide but its fine as the stand just requires a 120cm alternatively some stands where they point south east(right) and south west(left) the stands can be reversed to that they point inwardly rather than outwardly and then a larger table is not required you can get away with a smaller table.

Edited by vinny41
additional info
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

the stands can be reversed to that they point inwardly rather than outwardly and then a larger table is not required you can get away with a smaller table.

If you mount it on the wall you don't need a table ????

package I use is 3bb gigatainment 1 gbps / 500 download speed 1000 Mbps upload speed 500 Mbps  monthly payment 790 baht including HBO GO Monomaxx  and 49 baht per month for  disney plus/hotstar

My tv is a sony 2018 model came with Android 7 but Sony have provided Android updates to version 9

HBO GO, Monomaxx and disney plus/hotstar all run from the TV menu screen

https://ro5.3bb.co.th/00371/fiber.php?gclid=CjwKCAjwoP6LBhBlEiwAvCcthDUAyr1aRbAtuHIlAf8pEjcVmRSHCWg0LUKe6-HzRQc3d0AZjDgndhoC17AQAvD_BwE

You can see what is available content wise on HBO GO here

https://www.hbogo.co.th/ 

and monomax from here

https://www.monomax.me/

Disney Plus/hotstar here

https://www.hotstar.com/th

That's quite a package you got there. Is it possible to have a package with say, 2 out the 3 services you mention? Money's a bit tight these days and reducing that 790 pm you pay to around 500 or less for me would be preferred. Talking of preferences, did you choose the 3 services you mention (and by the way, thanks for the links - mighty interesting.) in preference to Netflix? Or do you also have Netflix? I'm asking not because I'm a nosy son of a gun, it's just I don't know much about what people in general go for, or even what's available. So there's more to life than Netflix! (I have used Netflix by the way and liked it.....but am open to other options.)

Re Disney.....looking at the link you sent, it looks to be more than what I imagined a Disney channel might be, as in more than Bambi and Jungle Book kind of stuff! ????????

51 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Tips if you go looking for TV's

Never let salesperson know your budget, if you do they automatically know which 4 models they are going to show you and they know how much commission they will receive on each one.

Ideally ditch the minder/salesperson ( I hate it when people follow me around) if you see a model that you like just make a note of brand model number and price and lenght of warranty.

Go Home do your research on your selected models, check prices online also check warranty periods as some sellers import models in from China which might only come with 1 year warranty where the Thai version comes with 3 year warranty.

Ideally you want 3 years onsite if possible always keep the box has you might need to send back to service centre if onsite warranty not available.

Unless you go to a particular shop such as a sony store, LG store or Samsung store its a waste of time asking the salesperson what is the difference between Brand a and Brand B most of the time they wouldn't know

You need to show the salesperson that you have more knowledge about a TV model than them otherwise they will steer you in the direction of which TV is offering the most comission.

As a Rule I always walk away from any TV that doesn't come with a 3 year warranty  12 months warranty on TV is a joke

Also take a tape measure with you I always measure the stand as I have a table that is 120cm wide so if the TV stand is wider than 120 cm not an option for me unless I replace the table

my current tv is 152cm wide but its fine as the stand just requires a 120cm alternatively some stands where they point south east(right) and south west(left) the stands can be reversed to that they point inwardly rather than outwardly and then a larger table is not required you can get away with a smaller table.

Just had a wry chuckle at your advice not to let salespeople know your budget.....as I did just that an hour ago!!! ???? But, in my defence, it was guy I became friendly with when he worked in a hardware store locally prior to recently landing this new job at homepro, so I let it slip what my budget was! But your advice on that is good advice.

Yes, I did as advise and took details of models in order to google for reviews etc, BUT......I didn't ask about the warranties. It's a biggy and you are absolutely right to recommend checking that from the start. I will ask about that - thanks for the prompt.

Will also remember my tape measure next time! Not keen on wall mounting so as you say, needs to fit the furniture I've got.

Now I will say something here that may interest you and all the other kind folk who've posted advice (or make them shake their heads in contemptuous despair!) : I obviously haven't been paying attention!!! I had been weighing up merits of OLED, etc, thinking to choose OLED maybe......well just been to homepro and it took only seconds to realize I had been  much mistaken in thinking them affordable. Well  for me they're not...bigtime!! So now it's narrowed down to the best non-OLEDs out there! Ho-hum.

But thanks, Vinny.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Toolong said:

That's quite a package you got there. Is it possible to have a package with say, 2 out the 3 services you mention? Money's a bit tight these days and reducing that 790 pm you pay to around 500 or less for me would be preferred. Talking of preferences, did you choose the 3 services you mention (and by the way, thanks for the links - mighty interesting.) in preference to Netflix? Or do you also have Netflix? I'm asking not because I'm a nosy son of a gun, it's just I don't know much about what people in general go for, or even what's available. So there's more to life than Netflix! (I have used Netflix by the way and liked it.....but am open to other options.)

Re Disney.....looking at the link you sent, it looks to be more than what I imagined a Disney channel might be, as in more than Bambi and Jungle Book kind of stuff! ????????

You can opt for the 1000Mbs download 100Mbs upload service for 590 baht per month

or you can opt for just the Giga TV service using your existing internet service for 100 baht per month 3bb will supply you with an Android Box you will get HBO GO / MONOMAX / OKE  ( I have no idea what Oke is

https://ro5.3bb.co.th/00371/gigaTV.php

Yes Disney has grown since the days of Walt Disney a number of takeovers over the years

No I don't use Netflix I was always concerned about Picture quality in the early days and

The amount of content on HBO GO monomax and Disney Plus/hotstar impossible to watch all the content even if you did 24/7 365 days of the year

If you dig down on the monomax content i think they have 20 or so of the James Bond movies in English

12 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Just had a wry chuckle at your advice not to let salespeople know your budget.....as I did just that an hour ago!!! ???? But, in my defence, it was guy I became friendly with when he worked in a hardware store locally prior to recently landing this new job at homepro, so I let it slip what my budget was! But your advice on that is good advice.

Yes, I did as advise and took details of models in order to google for reviews etc, BUT......I didn't ask about the warranties. It's a biggy and you are absolutely right to recommend checking that from the start. I will ask about that - thanks for the prompt.

Will also remember my tape measure next time! Not keen on wall mounting so as you say, needs to fit the furniture I've got.

Now I will say something here that may interest you and all the other kind folk who've posted advice (or make them shake their heads in contemptuous despair!) : I obviously haven't been paying attention!!! I had been weighing up merits of OLED, etc, thinking to choose OLED maybe......well just been to homepro and it took only seconds to realize I had been  much mistaken in thinking them affordable. Well  for me they're not...bigtime!! So now it's narrowed down to the best non-OLEDs out there! Ho-hum.

But thanks, Vinny.

I see the cheapest OLED online at homepro is the  OLED48A1PTA at 42,490 and a 1 year warranty

the same set with a 3 year warranty can be purchased online here  at a LG offical store 28,990 that is a difference of 13,500

l Product Warranty 1 year (3 years register) https://www.lg.com/th/support/warranty

https://shopee.co.th/-โค้ดLGXTA1200ลด1200-LG-48-OLED-4K-Smart-TV-รุ่น-OLED48A1-Self-Lighting-Dolby-Vision-Atmos-LG-ThinQ-AI-i.282578111.10955862108?sp_atk=45a35d81-229f-4b57-add3-9b3279f1ebaf

what that means if you don't register online you get 1 yr warranty if you register you get 3 years

If there was a  small difference I would buy in store but when its a 32% in favor of the in store difference no thanks

Only times I have bought in store is John Lewis and Richer sounds as they both offered a 5 year warranty even if the manufacturer, In Store is fine for looking but for me they need to reduce their margins and complete with online stores to get my business

Out of Interest what did you think of the picture quality of the OLED compared to the non-oled's did you see a difference in the inky blacks

You can opt for the 1000Mbs download 100Mbs upload service for 590 baht per month

or you can opt for just the Giga TV service using your existing internet service for 100 baht per month 3bb will supply you with an Android Box you will get HBO GO / MONOMAX / OKE  ( I have no idea what Oke is

https://ro5.3bb.co.th/00371/gigaTV.php

Yes Disney has grown since the days of Walt Disney a number of takeovers over the years

No I don't use Netflix I was always concerned about Picture quality in the early days and

The amount of content on HBO GO monomax and Disney Plus/hotstar impossible to watch all the content even if you did 24/7 365 days of the year

If you dig down on the monomax content i think they have 20 or so of the James Bond movies in English

I like the sound of that Giga TV service, Vinny. I think maybe that was the package they told my wife would take a month to get round to installing. My wife didn't explain that package to me very clearly. I reckon I can wait a month! (By the way....my Thai wife's English is great, she's very intelligent....but she's not very thorough about finding out info, which is why I seek advice on here!) 

Yeah , I'm old enough to have the original sweet & innocent Disney image well-ingrained! But it now appears much different, as you suggest. ????Thanks!

• Thanks 1

I see the cheapest OLED online at homepro is the  OLED48A1PTA at 42,490 and a 1 year warranty

the same set with a 3 year warranty can be purchased online here  at a LG offical store 28,990 that is a difference of 13,500

l Product Warranty 1 year (3 years register) https://www.lg.com/th/support/warranty

https://shopee.co.th/-โค้ดLGXTA1200ลด1200-LG-48-OLED-4K-Smart-TV-รุ่น-OLED48A1-Self-Lighting-Dolby-Vision-Atmos-LG-ThinQ-AI-i.282578111.10955862108?sp_atk=45a35d81-229f-4b57-add3-9b3279f1ebaf

what that means if you don't register online you get 1 yr warranty if you register you get 3 years

If there was a  small difference I would buy in store but when its a 32% in favor of the in store difference no thanks

Only times I have bought in store is John Lewis and Richer sounds as they both offered a 5 year warranty even if the manufacturer, In Store is fine for looking but for me they need to reduce their margins and complete with online stores to get my business

Out of Interest what did you think of the picture quality of the OLED compared to the non-oled's did you see a difference in the inky blacks

Vinny, my head is spinning at that price difference between online & instore. That is incredible.

I am so grateful to you for finding this out and explaining it to me. ????

It's quite an education for me. I understand & respect your views on that and your bias towards online buying. 

Thanks for explaining the online warranty registration. Good to know!

Your query about what I thought of OLED and non-OLED pic quality. If you mean as I looked at the two types in homepro......to be honest, Vinny, I looked at the prices of the cheapest OLEDs (well..... their prices!) and my attention towards quality differences suddenly felt pointless! So I turned back to the Nanocell range without investigating further! Howevet  if an OLED via online purchase is doable at the price you mentioned, then I definitely will be keen to go back and suss out those differences and look for 'inky blacks' ! ????????

• Thanks 1

Have been prompted to update this thread to say - to all those who have so kindly offered such great advice - that I decided to get myself a Samsung qled Q70A tv, from Homepro. 26 smackers! So far, so good. ???? ????????????????

(To anyone interested......didn't exactly start well! Delivery people came, set it up in a hurry....guy attaching the stand somehow stripped a thread and meant that tv ended up kind of wonky. Not level. I noticed it but let it go (not knowing about the stripped thread). Didn't sleep well on it though and checked it myself the following morning. Not good. Mad as hell. But.....went to homepro with bits, they understood & didn't hesitate to change whole TV for another one the same day, so pleased at that! The guy had used a drill screwdriver. Mistake. )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toolong said:

Have been prompted to update this thread to say - to all those who have so kindly offered such great advice - that I decided to get myself a Samsung qled Q70A tv, from Homepro. 26 smackers! So far, so good. ????????????????????

(To anyone interested......didn't exactly start well! Delivery people came, set it up in a hurry....guy attaching the stand somehow stripped a thread and meant that tv ended up kind of wonky. Not level. I noticed it but let it go (not knowing about the stripped thread). Didn't sleep well on it though and checked it myself the following morning. Not good. Mad as hell. But.....went to homepro with bits, they understood & didn't hesitate to change whole TV for another one the same day, so pleased at that! The guy had used a drill screwdriver. Mistake. )

More to the point.

What's the verdict on the TV?

1 hour ago, Toolong said:

Have been prompted to update this thread to say - to all those who have so kindly offered such great advice - that I decided to get myself a Samsung qled Q70A tv, from Homepro. 26 smackers! So far, so good. ????????????????????

Good Homepro took it back, i tried to take a fan back to Bang and Beyond Powerbuy an hour after buying it to exchange and they tried their best to say no. More like crowd control than customer services

4 hours ago, Toolong said:

I can see old habits die hard ???? Regardless of all the gentle prompting of vinny41 and others, you couldn't resist the salesman in-store ????

How else to explain why you ignored all the advice given here to pay 4,000 baht more than was necessary?

https://www.lcdtvthailandshop.com/55q70a.html

What pushed you towards the Samsung?

I don't really get it, but I don't have to understand everything ???? 

On 11/1/2021 at 5:17 PM, Toolong said:

I watched Alien Vs Predator Requiem on Disney+ this morning.

Plenty of blood splatter.

Edited by BritManToo