Smart advice for non-smart duffer re smart TVs

Toolong

I need to buy (my wife) a smart TV. But being a non-gadgety out-of-touch old duffer I regret to say I know sweet Fanny Adams about what I should be looking for in the shop and fear being a lamb for the slaughter.  I noticed a thread on this site today re buying a smart TV or non-smart TV. Though that is NOT my issue, I figured I might learn something about which smart TV I might buy anyway.

That did not happen. I don't think I made it to the end of the first page. Just now more confused than ever. I don't understand the latest lingo! There appear to be too many darned options...none of which I understand. 

Here's a bit to go on:

Want something that allows my wife and I to watch her Thai mainstream channels, plus others like Amarin, Thai Rath, etc.....plus netflix if we wish to subscribe and youtube etc, so online access. 

Now my wife is Thai and has, unfortunately, a very entrenched view that a more expensive item must be better than a cheaper item, regardless of facts that might easily disprove that.....so I'm saying that those well-meaning folk out there who kindly inform me that such and such a make or model priced at 10,000 baht is basically as good as one for 20,000 baht+.....might be wasting their time. However- I still very much welcome those recommendations!! The more I know/understand the better!

(But price-wise.....reckon I could manage 20 - 23,000 baht thereabouts....possibly more.)

With respect to all....anything connected with True......nah. True and I fell out, big time. 

I want a 55 incher, that gives a decent picture....and one with a remote that doesn't require a PHD in advanced 'devicery'.......and WON'T be obselete by the time I get it home!

Advice, kept simple, would really help. Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

Unfortunately when it comes to new TV technology, the cheaper no name stuff tends to be less reliable and it's really a throwaway rather than a repair, unless you want to ship it back to China and hope it makes it OK. Stick with a name brand like Samsung ( I would not give the same advice for phones for example) but with new TVs you do get what you pay for.

6 minutes ago, tonray said:

Unfortunately when it comes to new TV technology, the cheaper no name stuff tends to be less reliable and it's really a throwaway rather than a repair, unless you want to ship it back to China and hope it makes it OK. Stick with a name brand like Samsung ( I would not give the same advice for phones for example) but with new TVs you do get what you pay for.

If your Mum or Dad (bear with me!????!) said they were off to buy a smart TV and you couldn't go with them but had 1 minute to tell them on the phone a few specifications (ie, 4k, HD, blah blah) that must insist on.......what would you say? (Full respect to your dear Mum & Dad, by the way. Just a hypothetical!)

5 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Just buy the most modern TV you can afford. 10k get you 50 inch smart TV. Get the salestaff to install it and show you how to operate it. That's what I did.

Your simple advice may be precisely how I should go about it. 

But I guess I just have too much experience of being deceptively serenaded by staff into buying the stuff that was right for them (oh yes) but not for me!

But your advice may indeed be sound enough.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Toolong said:

If your Mum or Dad (bear with me!????!) said they were off to buy a smart TV and you couldn't go with them but had 1 minute to tell them on the phone a few specifications (ie, 4k, HD, blah blah) that must insist on.......what would you say? (Full respect to your dear Mum & Dad, by the way. Just a hypothetical!)

https://thethaiger.com/guides/product-reviews/top-8-tvs-to-buy-in-2021

15 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Your simple advice may be precisely how I should go about it. 

But I guess I just have too much experience of being deceptively serenaded by staff into buying the stuff that was right for them (oh yes) but not for me!

But your advice may indeed be sound enough.

It's a very common, everyday, common household item. You seem to have a problem with sales staff as well as technology. If you act like a victim you will be treated like one. At 200 to 300 pounds you are not risking much money anyway. Just walk around a few stores just looking. Anything that is modern will be good. It's just a matter of price. Ask a friend or acquaintance to help you buy or help you set up.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It's a very common, everyday, common household item. You seem to have a problem with sales staff as well as technology. If you act like a victim you will be treated like one. At 200 to 300 pounds you are not risking much money anyway. Just walk around a few stores just looking. Anything that is modern will be good. It's just a matter of price. Ask a friend or acquaintance to help you buy or help you set up.

With respect, Hammer, TVs are certainly common and everyday household items, as are laptops, phones and bottle openers, but in terms of requiring doing a little bit of homework in knowing which one might be the optimum buy in terms of specs & price, etc, one of them is definitely the odd one out! (For me, anyway. ????)

• Like 1

I have not had good luck with name brands and do not feel they are worth paying more to have - they only sets that have lasted more then 2 years have been no name or TCL.  I just bought a 55 inch TCL 55T5000A for about 13K from official store on Lazada to replace a 5 year old no name that finally quite.   As first 2 sets were TCL when 32 inch was the max size and have still not failed believe it is a good choice and a reasonable price.  Remote control is very easy to use and much smaller than most others.  Set is easy to set up and full options even if you do not want to use them (like phone and voice ability).  

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i1263002738-s3077982618.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&spm=spm%3Da2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I have not had good luck with name brands and do not feel they are worth paying more to have - they only sets that have lasted more then 2 years have been no name or TCL.  I just bought a 55 inch TCL 55T5000A for about 13K from official store on Lazada to replace a 5 year old no name that finally quite.   As first 2 sets were TCL when 32 inch was the max size and have still not failed believe it is a good choice and a reasonable price.  Remote control is very easy to use and much smaller than most others.  Set is easy to set up and full options even if you do not want to use them (like phone and voice ability).  

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i1263002738-s3077982618.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&spm=spm%3Da2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

2 years? Wow! I would be hoping for a longer life than that! That is very, very interesting. Thanks, lopburi3. I haven't checked out the link you kindly provided, but I will in a moment. Cheers ????

6 minutes ago, Toolong said:

2 years? Wow! I would be hoping for a longer life than that! That is very, very interesting. Thanks, lopburi3. I haven't checked out the link you kindly provided, but I will in a moment. Cheers ????

TCL is one of the largest makers in the world so is a name brand and they offer 3 year warrantee and in other threads many in Thailand have had good luck with them.  Have had 2 best selling brand fail just after one year so will not pay extra for them again.  

• Thanks 1

I second TCL, which also has 3 year warranty, which you won't get with the better known brands, I have had one now for 4 years no problems.

Previously had a Samsung, just after warranty finished black line appeared across the picture cost me about 8000 to fix, then all the HDMI and USB ports went down cost me another few thousand to fix, and then another black line appeared across the picture. I was told problem with the LED's again. I was told it was not worth fixing, very expensive and to buy a new one, but not to buy the expensive big brand names.

The person who told me was a very well respected and recommended TV engineer in Pattaya who works from a wheelchair.

Edited by elfpattaya

Modern smart TVs are actually pretty user friendly. Once you plug it in and turn it on for the first time it will offer you a choice of languages which once you have selected one which you can a read it will guide you through the setup process without any real dramas.

Entering your WiFi password, plugging in the aerial and letting the TV scan for the digital channels is about as taxing as it gets. They are, as the saying goes pretty much idiot proof.

The couple of major decisions you need to consider (in my humble opinion) when buying a new TV are...

Picture quality. Do you actually need 4K or is Full HD (1080p) okay for your needs.

Remember that what services you wish to use or pay for will determine this. For example, with Netflix the subscription you choose, your WiFi speed and what you're willing to pay will determine whether you can stream in 4K or 1080p.

There is no point in paying extra for a 4K TV and then never using it to it's full capability.

I don't believe that any Thai TV channels are broadcast in 4K but I'm happy to stand corrected on this.

It's also worth considering what ports (HDMI, USB etc) are on the back of the the TV and does it support Bluetooth just in case you wish to add a sound bar or some other other speaker system.

For the most part, most modern TVs have a great picture but horrendous, tinny sound quality, which is made even worse when people choose to fix their TVs to the wall because the tiny little speakers that these slim TVs have are on the back of the TV so the sound they produce is therefore not being projected out into the room.

• Like 2

No need to over complicate this.

You will get a good 55 inch for under 20 000 Baht.

Don't worry about gimmicks they will try to push which more than likely you won't need.

If you want, you can go to websites like Powerbuy and see what you can get in your price range.

When you get to the store, beware of the salesman who will push only a certain brand. He will be paid by the company whose brand he's pushing, not the store.

At the end of the day, you'd be hard pressed to notice any difference in the picture quality of most brands if you lined them up.

I've had bad experiences with Samsung where others swear by them.

I prefer Sony and Panasonic but you really go wrong IMO.

11 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

TCL is one of the largest makers in the world so is a name brand and they offer 3 year warrantee and in other threads many in Thailand have had good luck with them.  Have had 2 best selling brand fail just after one year so will not pay extra for them again.  

I'm definitely interested. I'm a name brand man, USUALLY......but I really think I should maybe rethink that. ????????

1 hour ago, elfpattaya said:

I second TCL, which also has 3 year warranty, which you won't get with the better known brands, I have had one now for 4 years no problems.

Previously had a Samsung, just after warranty finished black line appeared across the picture cost me about 8000 to fix, then all the HDMI and USB ports went down cost me another few thousand to fix, and then another black line appeared across the picture. I was told problem with the LED's again. I was told it was not worth fixing, very expensive and to buy a new one, but not to buy the expensive big brand names.

The person who told me was a very well respected and recommended TV engineer in Pattaya who works from a wheelchair.

Now that is mighty intersting, elfpattaya, cos the reason I seek another smart tv is cos the samsung we had blew up!!

Appreciate your comment & helpful advice. ????????

11 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Modern smart TVs are actually pretty user friendly. Once you plug it in and turn it on for the first time it will offer you a choice of languages which once you have selected one which you can a read it will guide you through the setup process without any real dramas.

Entering your WiFi password, plugging in the aerial and letting the TV scan for the digital channels is about as taxing as it gets. They are, as the saying goes pretty much idiot proof.

The couple of major decisions you need to consider (in my humble opinion) when buying a new TV are...

Picture quality. Do you actually need 4K or is Full HD (1080p) okay for your needs.

Remember that what services you wish to use or pay for will determine this. For example, with Netflix the subscription you choose, your WiFi speed and what you're willing to pay will determine whether you can stream in 4K or 1080p.

There is no point in paying extra for a 4K TV and then never using it to it's full capability.

I don't believe that any Thai TV channels are broadcast in 4K but I'm happy to stand corrected on this.

It's also worth considering what ports (HDMI, USB etc) are on the back of the the TV and does it support Bluetooth just in case you wish to add a sound bar or some other other speaker system.

For the most part, most modern TVs have a great picture but horrendous, tinny sound quality, which is made even worse when people choose to fix their TVs to the wall because the tiny little speakers that these slim TVs have are on the back of the TV so the sound they produce is therefore not being projected out into the room.

Thanks for your thoughts & recommendations, Dmaxdan. Your 'humble opinion' is much appreciated. I shall bear the 4k comments in mind, and also the HDMI, usb & bluetooth factors. This was very much the kind of information I sought. 

You talk about these devices being set up as 'idiot proof'......well I am that kind of person they probably had in mind! ????

11 hours ago, Will27 said:

No need to over complicate this.

You will get a good 55 inch for under 20 000 Baht.

Don't worry about gimmicks they will try to push which more than likely you won't need.

If you want, you can go to websites like Powerbuy and see what you can get in your price range.

When you get to the store, beware of the salesman who will push only a certain brand. He will be paid by the company whose brand he's pushing, not the store.

At the end of the day, you'd be hard pressed to notice any difference in the picture quality of most brands if you lined them up.

I've had bad experiences with Samsung where others swear by them.

I prefer Sony and Panasonic but you really go wrong IMO.

Thanks, Will27. I can get the points you're making, especially about gimmicks & biased salespersons!

Yes, will avoid Samsung. And will check out Powerbuy.

Cheers ????

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Toolong said:

I shall bear the 4k comments in mind,

As for 4k it is the new standard so is not an additional cost anymore.  Agree many of us have no use for it yet but a few years ago most did not need (HD) either - but most content now is - and production cost is just about the same for HD or 4K screen so everyone changing.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

As for 4k it is the new standard so is not an additional cost anymore.  Agree many of us have no use for it yet but a few years ago most did not need (HD) either - but most content now is - and production cost is just about the same for HD or 4K screen so everyone changing.  

Right, ok. That's good to know. All this info helps.  Thanks ????

I would say to focus on two main areas; picture quality and content availability.

OLED is considered desirable; but then that will leave less money for the other parts of the TV. So you need to prioritise.

Consider a TV with Google TV or Android TV if you aren't the type to have extra boxes connected to the TV for added functionality.

Google TV OS is the latest rebrand of the Android TV OS. That way there may be the option to install Apps that would normally be utilised on mobile phones; therefore widening choice.

Chances are the wife doesn't care much about the nth degree of quality; but price up OLED together with Google TV(or at least the latest Android TV OS version) and use that as a base. Then you can dig into the finer details; opting for things that you will definitely use and discarding things of no interest.

Edited by Bruno123

11 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

OLED is considered desirable

Only for some - for normal Thai channels suspect it would likely not be a good choice as they have channel data onscreen and OLED is subject to burn more than LED.  It also needs darker viewing area so not an advantage for normal TV use.  The service life is also questionable.  To pay more seems counter productive unless for a home theater type install to me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

OLED is subject to burn more than LED.

Yes that is a big concern  many channels nowadays  have almost permanent  logos ..I have some burn in on my plasma screen caused by watching movies and tv shows with subtitles enabled.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

I would say to focus on two main areas; picture quality and content availability.

OLED is considered desirable; but then that will leave less money for the other parts of the TV. So you need to prioritise.

Consider a TV with Google TV or Android TV if you aren't the type to have extra boxes connected to the TV for added functionality.

Google TV OS is the latest rebrand of the Android TV OS. That way there may be the option to install Apps that would normally be utilised on mobile phones; therefore widening choice.

Chances are the wife doesn't care much about the nth degree of quality; but price up OLED together with Google TV(or at least the latest Android TV OS version) and use that as a base. Then you can dig into the finer details; opting for things that you will definitely use and discarding things of no interest.

Just noticed your post, Bruno. 

Interesting. And useful. Have seen Google TV and Android TV on advertising boards and was wondering what all that meant. I shall have to google these options to know more precisely what they are, the differences & what they offer, etc....but I shall bear in mind what you say.

To be honest, Bruno, it is because I see these words & terms on display boards, without knowing what it all means  that I posted this in the first place!  My head spins at it all.

Then, I read a response to your post by lopburi3 - which to me sounds like it might apply in my case a bit (but I'm not sure!) - and am now sitting here smiling at how one can get more confused the more one seeks to become less confused! 

I remember with early desk top computers, it seemed to me the only considerations were ensuring you had the latest 'Pentium' thingy and so much 'ram'! 

Having said all that.....I'm still getting - from detailed posts like yours & lopburi3's etc, - a better general idea, and so I do appreciate your post, thanks. ????

16 hours ago, johng said:

Yes that is a big concern  many channels nowadays  have almost permanent  logos ..I have some burn in on my plasma screen caused by watching movies and tv shows with subtitles enabled.

The logos cause this 'burn'? I believe you....just wasn't aware of that. In fact, wasn't aware of burn at all until 5 minutes ago! 

Anyway.....interesting.