License for driving scooter in Thailand, need motorcycle endorsement in home country?

cdemundo

Do I need a driver license to drive a scooter in Thailand?

I don't plan to drive a car in Thailand.

I don't drive a scooter here (US) and don't have motorcycle endorsement,

is it good to have that before licensing in Thailand?

I have always used public transport in Thailand before but I may end up in smaller community where I need a scooter.

So I basically know nothing about driving a scooter and licensing a scooter in Thailand.

Howdy--Ive had motorcycle license in the states but of course corrupt thai cops dont care-ever though its supposed to be valid

I found the trick--go to AAA shop for $20 they will give you a international permit--take passport and pp pic for paper "license" 3 fold--looks like a paper pp

I was nervous trying it in Thailand but it works----and cos thais use diff year(2021) mine is expd and still works as cops dont know...

Ive been riding mbikes since a teen so take CARE riding one in thai...its a whole new set of rules, if any....

Edited by Sticky Rice Balls
  • Confused 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Howdy--Ive had motorcycle license in the states but of course corrupt thai cops dont care-ever though its supposed to be valid

I found the trick--go to AAA shop for $20 they will give you a international permit--take passport and pp pic for paper "license" 3 fold--looks like a paper pp

I was nervous trying it in Thailand but it works----and cos thais use diff year(2021) mine is expd and still works as cops dont know...

Ive been riding mbikes since a teen so take CARE riding one in thai...its a whole new set of rules, if any....

Right, I would only ride if I need to get around in a small town.

I wouldn't dare in BKK.

If I can avoid it I will.

19 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

Right, I would only ride if I need to get around in a small town.

I wouldn't dare in BKK.

If I can avoid it I will.

Get yourself to a AAA shop  with passport and pp pic....20 bucks--in n out  done and done

doubt u would even get stopped in a small town.....im up in CNX=$$$$$

on a UK car licence, we can ride small mopeds, but nothing bigger

I took my car licence in to DLT and showed them the picture of the motorbike and said, have bike licence , need Thai one

Had to repeat it many time but 

After a lot of talking and looking, they gave me a new Thai bike licence without any testing or other problems, Been riding bikes here for years now, no problems with renewals

• Thanks 1

Just now, Joinaman said:

on a UK car licence, we can ride small mopeds, but nothing bigger

I took my car licence in to DLT and showed them the picture of the motorbike and said, have bike licence , need Thai one

Had to repeat it many time but 

After a lot of talking and looking, they gave me a new Thai bike licence without any testing or other problems, Been riding bikes here for years now, no problems with renewals

I guess OP USA DL may not be the same way they do things in UK.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bbko said:

I'm from the US and when I moved to Thailand I had a license just for a car and didn't have a motorcycle license, here in Thailand when I applied for both a car and bike license I had to do the computer test, watch videos, pass the color test, pass the depth perception test and pass the bike driving test in the parking lot (weave through some cones, turn, drive over a small raised area without falling off), 

Do this it is very easy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I guess OP USA DL may not be the same way they do things in UK.

You know I don't even know for sure but as far as I know...

I think you need the same endorsement for scooter and motorcycle.

You can't drive a scooter with a regular car license.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cdemundo said:

You know I don't even know for sure but as far as I know...

I think you need the same endorsement for scooter and motorcycle.

You can't drive a scooter with a regular car license.

Well I don't know been lots of countries and driven with my UK DL all places where English was spoken as a 2nd 3rd 4th or so language never had a problem. 

13 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Is very satisfying when the cops think they got another rich farang on mbike and then pulling out the drivers permit and driving off.......thai cops-0   Me -1....... ????

But then they hit you with “foot pegs down” 400 baht please.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well I don't know been lots of countries and driven with my UK DL all places where English was spoken as a 2nd 3rd 4th or so language never had a problem. 

I only meant in my state in the US.

Someone seemed to be asking about that.

3 minutes ago, mrfill said:

It is a misnomer as it is an International Driver Permit - and there are 3 types (1926, 1949 and 1968), some last one year, some last 3. For Thailand (and Laos, Cambodia) a 1949 type is required. Vietnam and Burma require a 1968 type.

Of course, this is just the letter of the law so is not really relevant in Thailand....

This is what they look like...

Screenshot_20211023_100847.jpg

Not needed for a UK full driving DL but not all Thai police ponkers in certain areas know that or they might know but still want to try and intimidate some tourists to get some tea money.

• Like 2

Has the OP read this thread yet ? You might change your mind about riding a motorcycle when you have.

Thai roads are deathtraps to motorcyclists, says campaigner: Spend 15 billion a year to save 7,500 lives

Rate this topic

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2