License for driving scooter in Thailand, need motorcycle endorsement in home country?

cdemundo

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

, no doubt you would say yeah go for it, no problems.

Yes I would because not everyone has the same opinion as you.

I have  found and said many a time over the years riding motorbike here is safer than riding in UK. 

The OP also needs to know 'Endorsement' on a license is a form of punishment or legal censure noted on a driving license such as for speeding or drunk driving in some countries. eg: I have a 'clean' license with no endorsements but my friend was done for speeding and got a three point endorsement on his license. Nine more and he will lose his license.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

What license is required to drive the MC tricycles?

And what license is required for the four wheeled electric tuktuk style vehicles?

From what understand a trike with a m/c engine needs a m/c DL.

As for electric vehicles unless they can be registered and have a licence plate no need for a DL.

Any vehicle with a number plate and tax disc you can drive without a DL but it is a separate offence.

11 hours ago, bbko said:

I'm from the US and when I moved to Thailand I had a license just for a car and didn't have a motorcycle license, here in Thailand when I applied for both a car and bike license I had to do the computer test, watch videos, pass the color test, pass the depth perception test and pass the bike driving test in the parking lot (weave through some cones, turn, drive over a small raised area without falling off), 

If you got the POS paper IDP from triple A for a few bucks before you left you coulda skipped all of that. In and out in ten minutes.

Tea money for the cops is not the real problem.

The real problem is that no insurance in the world will cover you when it turns out you didn't have a valid license for the vehicle you were driving/riding when you had the accident - even if you've been paying them premiums. They will simply refuse all liability.

I once got insurance for a car from an agent because it was assumed I had a license, but they didn't ask to see it. I was going from military to civilian, and using an English license in Germany which was valid for 1 year. Afterwards I just kept paying the premiums and getting my no-claims bonuses but never bothered to get a German license.

If I'd crashed, they wouldn't have paid. Actually they'd have paid third party because mandatory, but then claimed it back from me - a bad accident with deaths could have bankrupted me for life.

In my old age now I don't do such stupid things as drive vehicles for which I'm not licensed or trained.

There is a huge difference between driving a motor bike and riding one.

Edited by BusyB

6 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Nothing to do with corrupt cops. IT'S are valid for 6 months. However, as a motor cycle license is required in Thailand, seperate from a car license its seems what you are suggesting is illegal and therefore corrupt.

Remind me again what I am "suggesting"..

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

The consensus is 90 days.

I used an international driving license (the cardboard book type from UK) for 20 years here. However 3 years ago things changed and there were more police checks (I live in Rayong). The police asked to see my visa and told me I could only use the Int DL for 30 days (?) as a tourist.  I wasn't fined but I was stopped again about 5 months later and was given the same 'advice'.

I went and got my Thai license after that - 20 years late ????  

I discovered too that when I return to the UK and hire a car I have to use my Thai license (preferable anyway because cannot get any points).  The insurance clearly states you must use the license where you predominantly reside even if it isn't your official address.
Seems funny to be a UK driving license holder and use a Thai license to drive in the UK!

• Thanks 1

On 10/23/2021 at 1:23 AM, cdemundo said:

Do I need a driver license to drive a scooter in Thailand?

I don't plan to drive a car in Thailand.

I don't drive a scooter here (US) and don't have motorcycle endorsement,

is it good to have that before licensing in Thailand?

I have always used public transport in Thailand before but I may end up in smaller community where I need a scooter.

So I basically know nothing about driving a scooter and licensing a scooter in Thailand.

Your post is very confusing. When you talk Thailand you say scooter, and when you talk US it´s a motorcycle? I suppose you mean motorcycle in both countries. You know, 125cc and up is same as motorcycle in most countries.

After that you speak about endorsement? Is it a driver license for motorcycle you are talking about? If so, then if you do not have one in the US, you will need to get one in Thailand to drive legally. Even if you have one in the US, that one would have to be converted to an international license to mean something in Thailand.

To get a license in Thailand is easier than in most countries. Basically you just need the required documents, as sight test and so on. Then it´s just to look at a video and answer a test. Might even include that you drive one or two laps on a parking lot with some cones.

6 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Your post is very confusing. When you talk Thailand you say scooter, and when you talk US it´s a motorcycle? I suppose you mean motorcycle in both countries. You know, 125cc and up is same as motorcycle in most countries.

After that you speak about endorsement? Is it a driver license for motorcycle you are talking about? If so, then if you do not have one in the US, you will need to get one in Thailand to drive legally. Even if you have one in the US, that one would have to be converted to an international license to mean something in Thailand.

To get a license in Thailand is easier than in most countries. Basically you just need the required documents, as sight test and so on. Then it´s just to look at a video and answer a test. Might even include that you drive one or two laps on a parking lot with some cones.

"When you talk Thailand you say scooter, and when you talk US it´s a motorcycle? "

What is called a scooter in Thailand  for licensing purposes a 2 wheeled vehicle is a motorcycle in my state.

"After that you speak about endorsement? Is it a driver license for motorcycle you are talking about?"

The right to drive a motorcycle is indicated on a DL (driver's license) by what is called an endorsement.

Sorry for your confusion.

Sorry to be thick.

But in Thailand a person can get a scooter license without having a license to drive a car?

Also, separate license under a certain size and over?

Like a scooter license and a motorcycle license are different?

Edited by cdemundo
deleted a question

12 hours ago, skatewash said:

Honestly, that's the best way.  Signup for a motorcycle class in the US, in many jurisdictions passing the the course gets you a state driver's license with proper endorsement for motorcycles.  Take that to AAA and get a International Driving Permit (IDP) which is merely a translation of your English driver's license into English, but importantly it unambiguously indicates that you are qualified to ride motorcycles and for that reason is worth the $20 it will cost.

What you will learn in the US in a motorcycle course is how to ride/handle a motorcycle if you have no previous experience.  It will also teach you all the laws in the US.  When you get to Thailand in addition to driving on the other side of the road you will learn with observation and experience what laws Thais follow and which they do not.  Generally, in the US people follow the rules but don't have good situational awareness while driving.  It's the opposite in Thailand, Thais have good situational awareness while driving but don't follow the written rules.  There are informal rules that are followed you have to observe and learn them.

You can arrive in Thailand with none of the above, but then I strongly suggest taking a motorcycle course in Thailand and possibly as a result of that get a Thai motorcycle license or go to the Land Transport Office to get your motorcycle license.

I like this website for explaining the process of getting a motorcycle license in Thailand:

https://motogirlthailand.com/riding-thailand/

This seems like a reasonable plan.

Thanks.

13 hours ago, skatewash said:

Honestly, that's the best way.  Signup for a motorcycle class in the US, in many jurisdictions passing the the course gets you a state driver's license with proper endorsement for motorcycles.  ...

In my neck of the woods in the USA, a motorcycle class costs about $175-$300 USD. I used to have a bike license circa 1972, but it went dormant over the years. I did get a lifetime Thai motorbike license back in 1977 for about $5. (100 Baht at the time) or maybe that was the surcharge. 

• Like 2

@cdemundo, you must be completely confused by now, so let me sweep everything off the desk for you and start again.

Yes you do need to have license to ride a scooter or motorcycle in Thailand and if you intend to stay here it will have to be a Thai one. Forget all this rubbish about home country license and IDPs.

The easiest and most reliable way of getting a Thai license is to find yourself driving/riding school that has government approval and acts as a 'one stop shop'. They will take you through the whole process from starting the motorcycle to having your license issued in the course of one week.

Then you'll be free to go off and buy your choice ride and get riding. This is the time of course when you really learn to ride. They usually teach you on a geared motorcycle by the way, so you will be familiar with that type. Scooters are all automatic so they are very easy to ride.

My wife learned how to ride this way and she's a good sensible rider now.

Good luck. I love riding here so be put off by all these negative inputs.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

thai cops cant read the year exchange ie 2021 vs thai year...as my IDP is expd but still "works"

Yeah for sure it very much depends on experience of the province you are or any other place and as time goes on the way of how things are done..

Only ever had my UK photocard DL when I first came to Thailand which shows in English what you are licensed to drive. 

Myself have only got stopped twice no problem, when I came to stay got my two 1 year Thai DL's straight away no tests, only did 2 in office tests when renewing to 5 year DL's 

My young son uses his UK DL when he comes here just shows that at check points.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cdemundo said:

Sorry to be thick.

But in Thailand a person can get a scooter license without having a license to drive a car?

Fair question if you are not familiar with how Thai DL's work.

There are 2 DL 's only.

One DL for a motorbike which legalizes you to ride any motorbike or scooter large or small.

One DL for cars/pick-up trucks.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cdemundo said:

"When you talk Thailand you say scooter, and when you talk US it´s a motorcycle? "

What is called a scooter in Thailand  for licensing purposes a 2 wheeled vehicle is a motorcycle in my state.

"After that you speak about endorsement? Is it a driver license for motorcycle you are talking about?"

The right to drive a motorcycle is indicated on a DL (driver's license) by what is called an endorsement.

Sorry for your confusion.

No, it´s just foreigners that needs to look down on Thailand out of some reason that calls their motorcycles for scooters. Then US can sound much better and bigger by calling it motorcycle, right? The fact is, that a 125 cc is classified as a motorcycle in both countries. So, that´s just pure BS.

So, it was a driver license then. Ok, by all means. I have already given you the instructions. ???? 

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, thaiclan said:

I used an international driving license (the cardboard book type from UK) for 20 years here. However 3 years ago things changed and there were more police checks (I live in Rayong). The police asked to see my visa and told me I could only use the Int DL for 30 days (?) as a tourist.  I wasn't fined but I was stopped again about 5 months later and was given the same 'advice'.

I went and got my Thai license after that - 20 years late ????  

I discovered too that when I return to the UK and hire a car I have to use my Thai license (preferable anyway because cannot get any points).  The insurance clearly states you must use the license where you predominantly reside even if it isn't your official address.
Seems funny to be a UK driving license holder and use a Thai license to drive in the UK!

I no doubt you after all this is Thailand a very forgiving place towards tourists.

If you live here permanently as I began to I wanted to be legal and make sure I did what expected of me in case of any accidents or incidents..

As you say things have changed quite a bit over the years and l've only been asked to see my Thai DL at check points when asked but mostly always waved through.

I let my UK DL run out, and yes the UK allows you to drive legally in the UK up to one year if you have a 5 year Thai DL.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cdemundo said:

Sorry to be thick.

Yes, a person can get a motorcycle license  independent of a Car license.

Using a IDP to verify dual license validity of valid home country license usually works . I have had an IDP initially rejected at a check point on the grounds it had no Thai translation. A short debate about the "International "validity ended with a condescending laugh and a wave through.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My UK driving licence has a series of little pictograms on the back - showing the vehicles which it entitles me to drive.

It acts as a "provisional licence" for a motorcycle (learner, riding solo, with L plates on a small motorcycle - less than 250cc I think), and so has an appropriate picture on the back.

Based on that, when I got my Thai driving licences they gave me one for a car and one for a motorcycle!

5 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

Using a IDP to verify dual license validity of valid home country license usually works . I have had an IDP initially rejected at a check point on the grounds it had no Thai translation. A short debate about the "International "validity ended with a condescending laugh and a wave through.

Thanks for pointing that out a lot of police these days are actually getting to know Thai law. ???? 

There's usually one policeman I've noticed at check points that speaks and reads some English.

The IDP has English not Thai for Thai authorities to read and know what you are legally licenced to drive.

The UK photocard DL has the same information the consensus to carry a IDP with it as a tourists driving is basically to satisfy some Thai policemen that are ignorant of the requirements.