License for driving scooter in Thailand, need motorcycle endorsement in home country?

cdemundo

48 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

IDP you mean. 

Yes, agree, it is often erred to as an International Driver’s Licence but it is not a license at all. Sorry for repeating the misnomer.

Edited by wwest5829
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Has the OP read this thread yet ? You might change your mind about riding a motorcycle when you have.

Thai roads are deathtraps to motorcyclists, says campaigner: Spend 15 billion a year to save 7,500 lives

Rate this topic

Wondered when the health & safety brigade would weigh in, usually people with no ability to want or to be able to ride a motorcycle. 

1 hour ago, cdemundo said:

Maybe it would be best to get the motorcycle endorsement here in the states.

I was gonna take scooter lessons anyway and they prepare you for the license test.

I will probably do that.

Agreed. In my case, I was retiring to Thailand and so got both a car license and motorbike license here which I have now held for a decade. My Kentucky license expired since they required I be physically present to renew.

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

An IDP is not required for a Thai licence to be issued on the basis of having an English-language foreign licence.

Yep, just telling the OP that with an IDP there doesn't even have to be a discussion with the Land Transport Office about whether because you have an English language license you qualify for the exemption from having the IDP.  Having the IDP makes it very easy to get the motorcycle license based on the endorsement on your home license.  You can get a Thai motorcycle license without one as I stated, unless you run into someone that doesn't comprehend the English language Incense IDP exception or can't be convinced that you in fact have a motorcycle endorsement on your home license.  It's Thailand, up to you.

As an example, for years when getting a license from Phuket LTO they flat out refused to take a yellow house registration book as proof of your address and insisted on one getting a Certificate of Residence from immigration.  The first time this happened I had a fruitless discussion with them that all the other (at least many other) LTOs in Thailand accepted the yellow book.  After years of getting refused with the yellow book, the yellow book is finally being accepted at Phuket LTO.  Long story for a short point.  You can be right and you can explain why you are right and at the end of the day it's not going to make any difference if you run into someone that doesn't know or care what the actual rule is.  For a $20 IDP you can completely avoid this potential pitfall when getting your motorcycle license in Thailand.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, skatewash said:

The IDP additionally indicates in a clear and unambiguous manner whether you are allowed to ride motorcycles in your home country.  That information is valuable in getting a motorcycle license in Thailand.  You may get around this requirement if you have an English language driver's license and can explain in a convincing manner how your ability to drive a motorcycle in your home country is indicated on your home country driver's license.  (There are 50 states in the US and each one has its own driver's license and its own idea of how being able to drive a motorcycle should be shown on it.)  You are making your life easier by getting the IDP.  You can sometimes get away without it, but it makes the job of the official at the Land Transport Office easier thereby ensuring that you have a more pleasant experience getting your Thai motorcycle license.  Only you will know if that is worth $20 to you.

May I point out to you and others who are not English you don't understand the non requirement to not need a IDP when you have a valid Full photocard DL from UK.

The only reason some people get an IDP with a UK full photocard DL is because as I have posted before over some 15 years the Thai police are ignorant of the fact a UK DL photocard DL has all the information on it that is put in a IDP. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

May I point out to you and others who are not English you don't understand the non requirement to not need a IDP when you have a valid Full photocard DL from UK.

The only reason some people get an IDP with a UK full photocard DL is because as I have posted before over some 15 years the Thai police are ignorant of the fact a UK DL photocard DL has all the information on it that is put in a IDP. 

That's fine but it might be more beneficial to explain that non-requirement to the person at the Land Transport Office who is deciding whether you qualify for a Thai motorcycle license without taking the written or practical tests.  By the way, the OP is from the US not the UK.

Can I try again to explain my position?  If you want a potentially easier time at the LTO getting your Thai motorcycle license you might consider getting an IDP from your home country which will make it perfectly clear to the person at the LTO that you have a motorcycle endorsement in your home country.  People have successfully done that without an IDP.  Some people have not successfully done that without an IDP.  Up to you whether you think having an IDP will help.  

1 hour ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

lesson here is DO NOT ride motorcycles here without at least a mc driving license by test.

for legal insurance and sheer survival.get a thai mc DL soonest

even then you should also have passed an intensive mc defensive driving course, if you dont have experience.

You are still covered by valid govt ins with or without whatever DL.

25 minutes ago, skatewash said:

That's fine but it might be more beneficial to explain that non-requirement to the person at the Land Transport Office who is deciding whether you qualify for a Thai motorcycle license without taking the written or practical tests.  By the way, the OP is from the US not the UK.

Can I try again to explain my position?  If you want a potentially easier time at the LTO getting your Thai motorcycle license you might consider getting an IDP from your home country which will make it perfectly clear to the person at the LTO that you have a motorcycle endorsement in your home country.  People have successfully done that without an IDP.  Some people have not successfully done that without an IDP.  Up to you whether you think having an IDP will help.  

That is not the case at our local DLT and many other DLT's,  don't try be so clever people have been here longer than you and know more than you about what you can do and what you can't.

The example you state......."As an example, for years when getting a license from Phuket LTO they flat out refused to take a yellow house registration book as proof of your address and insisted on one getting a Certificate of Residence from immigration."

Phuket's rules doesn't rule all over Thailand.  

Never needed a IDP ever in Thailand some countries do need one for example Australia.

17 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

That is not the case at our local DLT and many other DLT's,  don't try be so clever people have been here longer than you and know more than you about what you can do and what you can't.

The example you state......."As an example, for years when getting a license from Phuket LTO they flat out refused to take a yellow house registration book as proof of your address and insisted on one getting a Certificate of Residence from immigration."

Never needed a IDP ever in Thailand some countries do need one for example Australia.

You're coming across as a bit arrogant.  I gave my opinion, and explained as clearly as I can why I hold it.  People are free to read all advice and go with what makes the most sense to them.  They won't really know what will happen for certain until they do it themselves.  As I'm sure someone with your experience in Thailand knows requirements vary quite a bit from office to office.

I have been through the process once of getting a Thai motorcycle license based on having a US motorcycle license without taking the written or practical driving test.  I did that having an IDP obtained from the US.  How many more times have you done that than I have?  

The example of the yellow book/CoR at Phuket Immigration was an example of cases where sometimes the reality of what government officials accept on the ground is different than what you think it should be.  At no point did I say that the rules in Phuket are the ones that are enforced all over Thailand, and I'm disappointed you don't seem to understand the purpose of the example.  I'm content to let people form their own opinions, follow any advice that makes sense to them, and wish them the best on getting what they want to get in as easy a way as possible.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Wondered when the health & safety brigade would weigh in, usually people with no ability to want or to be able to ride a motorcycle. 

Not health & safety at all, I was riding 350cc Triumphs 50 odd years back as a Despatch rider in the British army, I wouldn't get on a bike here even if my life depended on it, the OP has stated that he has never ridden before but he wants to buy one & ride it here, really !! The guy must be mad, no doubt you would say yeah go for it, no problems. ????????????

• Confused 1

FWIW, I didn't have a IDL or motorcycle endorsement on my state driver's license and it wasn't a big deal to get a motorbike license here, the only extra step was the little 3 minute test driving around the bike course.

2 minutes ago, bbko said:

FWIW, I didn't have a IDL or motorcycle endorsement on my state driver's license and it wasn't a big deal to get a motorbike license here, the only extra step was the little 3 minute test driving around the bike course.

and the written test, right?

The practical driving test isn't difficult and if you take the practice written tests online it's not difficult to pass, but if the person wants to avoid doing those things, and get out of the LTO faster (not have to wait around for those tests) then having a valid home country driver's license is very handy to have.

12 minutes ago, skatewash said:

and the written test, right?

It's been many years since I first got the car and bike licenses (both at the same time), but I don't remember a separate written (computer) test just for the motorbike.

19 hours ago, cdemundo said:

Do I need a driver license to drive a scooter in Thailand?

Your supposed to have one.

If you're able get one in the US and have it stamped in your International Drivers Permit.

You'll need both if pulled over.

International driver permits are only valid for 6 months from entry into Thailand.  Any longer and your supposed to get a Thai Drivers license.

In small communities you could show them your COSTCO or Library card and they wouldn't know the difference.

.....Or you could just take the chance and probably never get asked for your license or just offer the copper 200 baht discreetly when your pulled over.

Great idea to rent a scooter and have an adventure.

Great Fun!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, bbko said:

It's been many years since I first got the car and bike licenses (both at the same time), but I don't remember a separate written (computer) test just for the motorbike.

I think you only have to take one written test and you're eligible to get a car and motorcycle driving license from that one written test.  The practical driving tests are different for car and motorcycle.  

I've never taken the written or practical driving tests in Thailand as I was allowed to skip having a valid car driving license from my home country with a motorcycle endorsement and an IDP.

3 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Has the OP read this thread yet ? You might change your mind about riding a motorcycle when you have.

Thai roads are deathtraps to motorcyclists, says campaigner: Spend 15 billion a year to save 7,500 lives

Rate this topic

This article is complete codswallop. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Howdy--Ive had motorcycle license in the states but of course corrupt thai cops dont care-ever though its supposed to be valid

I found the trick--go to AAA shop for $20 they will give you a international permit--take passport and pp pic for paper "license" 3 fold--looks like a paper pp

I was nervous trying it in Thailand but it works----and cos thais use diff year(2021) mine is expd and still works as cops dont know...

Ive been riding mbikes since a teen so take CARE riding one in thai...its a whole new set of rules, if any....

Nothing to do with corrupt cops. IT'S are valid for 6 months. However, as a motor cycle license is required in Thailand, seperate from a car license its seems what you are suggesting is illegal and therefore corrupt.

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

Not health & safety at all, I was riding 350cc Triumphs 50 odd years back as a Despatch rider in the British army, I wouldn't get on a bike here even if my life depended on it, the OP has stated that he has never ridden before but he wants to buy one & ride it here, really !! The guy must be mad, no doubt you would say yeah go for it, no problems. ????????????

I don't ride an MC but travel on the back of MC taxis for years. Absolutely no problem.

4 hours ago, skatewash said:

Generally, in the US people follow the rules but don't have good situational awareness while driving.  It's the opposite in Thailand, Thais have good situational awareness while driving but don't follow the written rules.  There are informal rules that are followed you have to observe and learn them.

I think you are correct but I'd add that compared with Westerners, Thais, especially (male) motorbike operators and (male) pick-up truck drivers, have a very skewed sense about what is dangerous and risky to them and especially you.  It seems like for them something going wrong resulting in an accident is an impossibility.  The accident stats here reflect this attitude.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pseudorabies said:

I think you are correct but I'd add that compared with Westerners, Thais, especially (male) motorbike operators and (male) pick-up truck drivers, have a very skewed sense about what is dangerous and risky to them and especially you.  It seems like for them something going wrong resulting in an accident is an impossibility.  The accident stats here reflect this attitude.

No. The statistics reflect poor roads, bad conditions, badly maintained vehicles and the  rural statistics skew the urban statistics.

Just a FWIW.  I have needed the IDP for the local constabulary in Thailand and in Australia.  In Europe the IDP was ignored and my regular DL was required

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

As Kwasaki points out the IDP requirement is not observed all over Thailand ........ but it can become required if you don't have one and the constable needs some tea money for his sergeant.  Up to you but I prefer CYA to paying fines

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skatewash said:

You're coming across as a bit arrogant.  I gave my opinion, and explained as clearly as I can why I hold it.  People are free to read all advice and go with what makes the most sense to them.  They won't really know what will happen for certain until they do it themselves.  As I'm sure someone with your experience in Thailand knows requirements vary quite a bit from office to office.

I have been through the process once of getting a Thai motorcycle license based on having a US motorcycle license without taking the written or practical driving test.  I did that having an IDP obtained from the US.  How many more times have you done that than I have?  

The example of the yellow book/CoR at Phuket Immigration was an example of cases where sometimes the reality of what government officials accept on the ground is different than what you think it should be.  At no point did I say that the rules in Phuket are the ones that are enforced all over Thailand, and I'm disappointed you don't seem to understand the purpose of the example.  I'm content to let people form their own opinions, follow any advice that makes sense to them, and wish them the best on getting what they want to get in as easy a way as possible.

Phuket is no example, the OP has his advice.