Thai roads are deathtraps to motorcyclists, says campaigner: Spend 15 billion a year to save 7,500 lives

webfact

5 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Unfortunately, these attributes will never be addressed by the professors or experts, because it flies in the face of, well, face. Who wants to upset the populace by pointing out their failings.

Quite a sad indictment of the Thai education system.  In the West, although things are getting a little silly these days, it's not unusual to find an academic giving sound advice, choosing to focus on the real root of the problem without any kind of scheming or self-promotion, simply the desire to help society improve.

Here we have someone who claims to be educated, who probably wants to be seen as working for the betterment of his society, yet through either ignorance or malice (neither are acceptable given his position), ignores pretty much the main reason for the high number of deaths on Thai roads; the way Thai people drive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

In the picture above there is a huge strip on the left where I would ride. Agreed it is unnerving to meet a pothole in the middle of a corner when committed but on the straight one can see them coming. 

Concentration is the key. 

that's all well and good during the day, but out in the sticks most bikes don't have headlights or tail lights, and riding at night, as is their want, you don't see the potholes until you hit them.

This Report is not serious?! Sorry, but three out of four Thai and Farang- Motorcyclists have not the Skills to handle a Bike in Thailand. My Opinion after 15 Years in LOS. This is the main Problem. Inferior Streetconditions cause accidents because the lack of driving skills. There is no serious training and driving training is out of any question. A large number of drivers do not even have a driver's license and everyone believes that riding a motorcycle is a human right, regardless what age!

2 hours ago, Saanim said:

How easy to say from the depth of a condo or a gated moo baan when on the way to 7/11 and back.  Some even speak about "paved road". I have yet to see such road on my numerous trip all over the Thailand, not even such a soi in the last village.

Yes, there are also some roads with potholes, what a surprise in a third world country, we have not been used to see such <deleted> in our perfect home countries...

SOME roads with Potholes in LOS?!?!?????????????.....you made my Day????

Life on the roads here in Bangkok and suburbs has been way more dangerous since early 2020. The number of delivery motorbikes has increased drastically and they are all racing like crazy, in order to deliver as many orders as possible in a day. In addition, half of these delivery motorbikes have been modified with noisy exhausts and are making a lot of noise in the previously quiet neighbourhoods. Many of them using the horn or shouting to alert customers, instead of getting off the motorbike and ring the bell. I suggest that as a start all delivery motorbikes should be inspected monthly and not be allowed to be on the streets with illegal modifications. Furthermore the RTP should wake up and be more active on the roads.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Moonlover said:

A lot has been spent on road improvements in the north east over the last 7 years that I've been here. The build standard is much higher than it used to be and I enjoy riding my motorcycle and feel quite safe on them.

The high death toll is due mainly to poor riding standards, lack of helmets and alcohol use. Not forgetting, of course that there are an awful lot of bikers out there.

And no Police enforcing the laws. !!!!!!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

A further problem for motorcyclists, the professor continued, is that road rules mean they are obliged to travel on the left - the domain of six and ten wheel trucks.

No wonder we read so many stories of motorcyclists ending up under those much larger vehicles, he noted.

Other grave dangers for motorcyclists are roadside lampposts and trees that are the worst of all.

What side of the road does he propose they ride? Most of them ride along the hard shoulder, where, it appears to me, to be the best place, as they fail to keep up with traffic. Especially those with the hand made side cars and trailers full.of passengers, grass, dogs and other stuff.

There are no powerpoles, trees or such like in the roads or carriageway where I am. Most trees are more than a meter from the road. Most electricity poles are at least 2 meters from the roadway, road lamps too.

No one should drive through a puddle, no one knows how deep it is. I avoid puddles on the road in my pick up, for that reason and the fear of aquaplaning. Try anticipating the road conditions and drive to those. 

In my view, U turns are the worst. Driving against traffic flow, failing to look when pulling out of a side turn. Failing to accurately judge the speed of traffic. Failing to signal, or cancel the signal. No back lights, no front lights, no helmet. Road here are no better or worse than eslwhere. Percentages tell the story. The greater the percentage of bikes on the raod, the more likely they will be involved in accidents.

I did not forget drunk driving. It's up there with the contributory factors, like rural roads that have sharp 90 degree corners, no stop signs, no give way signs, no keep left signs, no turn left only signs, no no right turn signs. No idea of roundabouts. No idea of roadsense. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Death among motorcyclists is also as a result of lack of helmet wearing, riding while drunk and poor riding standards, of course. Not to mention lack of enforcement by the police and riding by young, untrained teens contrary to the law.

Paragraph #23, above, is the only one that avoids all the bulls**t!  The first 22 were just the introduction to the truth.

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

that's all well and good during the day, but out in the sticks most bikes don't have headlights or tail lights, and riding at night, as is their want, you don't see the potholes until you hit them.

I chose not to ride at night and plan accordingly.  Except maybe the odd trip to 7-Eleven, a road with which I am familiar. You will note that even locals chose not to ride at night. 

1 hour ago, chrissables said:

That's the law, bikes must keep left.

No I think that is wrong   the law says slower vehicles (of all sorts)  should keep left   and that on a road with 2 or more lanes "undertaking" on the left is allowed.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

When I first started  riding we  knew white  lines in the rain are very  slippery.......1981

Not to forget the now renamed cast iron "manhole" covers I almost came a cropper on one at Swiss Cottage junction.

Road safety through design could be improved and should not be discounted but it takes time.

In my opinion, the biggest single thing that could be done and put in place immediately would actually bring in money, not cost money.

There are a set of laws - probably lacking and inadequate but there are some - those laws simply need to be enforced and enforced 24 hours per day. Fines at levels that are a deterent should be handed out to those breaking the law and those fines need to go into the the public's coffers - rather than where the bulk of them go now.

14 minutes ago, johng said:

No I think that is wrong   the law says slower vehicles (of all sorts)  should keep left   and that on a road with 2 or more lanes "undertaking" on the left is allowed.

The laws were probably written when motorbikes were slow.
I am pretty sure i am right, in fact i have been pulled over by the police before for overtaking a slow truck, the said i must ride in the nearside gravel and rubbish covered lane. I ignored them and carried on riding the safe way. 

2021 and this is just being noticed???

That fact is that the majority of Thais riding motorcycles have almost no defensive driving skills.  Hell - pulling out from side streets without looking is the norm.  Passing on the inside is the norm.  Driving the wrong way down one-way streets in the norm.

"It's a slaughter!!!"
Yeah, no kidding.  And you just noticed?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m glad such professor acknowledged the several dangers on Thai roads which some are just like a mirror, you can literally see yourself in it ! I’m not sure if anybody is paying attention or even listening what he’s talked about.. ????However, we’re well aware of the misuse word “ motorcycle “ They actually mean scooters not motorcycle, get this right once for good, will you ?! ???? 

Why on earth blaming everything else expect their impatient, selfish and kamikaze attitude they have whether they rider a scooter a car or even a truck ! Why even mention Trees ????????‍♂️ Their are faultless,  it’s your way of driving/ riding that is at fault ! The lack of proper police enforcement then no proper scooter/ motorcycle/ car training hence idiots riding against the traffic and needless to mention  not looking as if it was just a normal thing to do, especially when coming out of a Soi without paying attention to the oncoming traffic whilst entering the main road carriageway expecting you to slow down for them  ( This is the most dangerous malpractice about then that drives me crazy angry ! ) Prior to coming to this grind I’ve ridden and raced motorcycles ( 500 to 1000cc )  I so much miss riding a proper bike but I’m very hesitant from buying one here due to the roads conditions and how dangerous they are whilst driving/ riding it’s total anarchy out there ! I’ve never been so frightened to ride anything in this country.

By the way, I’m compelled to mention that speed isn’t such  a major issue if you drive fully aware and respectfully towards other drivers, this means  paying attention who’s around you !

People should also know that slower speeds causes more accidents since they get distracted on their phones, TV monitors they’ve got installed in their cars/ scooters.

Please note that if you’re riding whether a scooter or a motorcycle in good decent speed you go straight over the pothole not in it !!! I’ve had plenty of those at high speed but never sunk in it ????????‍♂️
Sadly, I have a premonition that things will never change if they don’t change their attitude, proper driving/ riding exam and needless to say police who actually do their job accordingly ! ????????‍♂️ 

Edited by Ramdas
Bla, bla, bla