Inflation in the USA - Does it worry you?

700,000+ people disappeared in the USA. So, there is a temporary labor shortage in many countries.

Population of USA is approx 329.5 million. 700,000 gone equates to a loss of approx 0.21%. Even doubling that number wouldn't clip the 1% mark. Large proportion of deaths were among people no longer in the workforce also. Ergo, shortage of workers due to direct effects of pandemic doesn't pass the sniff test.

2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Yeah, religion.  One of the worst things to happen to our world. 

Yes.

2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Education is the key.  Getting rid of misinformation is also critical.

Yes, but at the same time, it does strike me as a little strange that tolerance for choice is in such short supply. Especially with vaccine saturation what it is already.

Covid wasn't particularly lethal to broad populations at any point, and so we can intuit that mortality rates among the fully vaccinated have gotta be well below 1% at this point. I do wonder when the fuss will die down. Based purely on logic, it should've died down long ago.

Darwin will take care of a lot of them.

Although I agree with it, this take is ironic because the exact same sentence could've been used to justify a zero restriction approach to Covid from the jump. I would've agreed with a zero restriction approach too. ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Cipher said:

Population of USA is approx 329.5 million. 700,000 gone equates to a loss of approx 0.21%. Even doubling that number wouldn't clip the 1% mark. Large proportion of deaths were among people no longer in the workforce also. Ergo, shortage of workers due to direct effects of pandemic doesn't pass the sniff test.

Yes.

Yes, but at the same time, it does strike me as a little strange that tolerance for choice is in such short supply. Especially with vaccine saturation what it is already.

Covid wasn't particularly lethal to broad populations at any point, and so we can intuit that mortality rates among the fully vaccinated have gotta be well below 1% at this point. I do wonder when the fuss will die down. Based purely on logic, it should've died down long ago.

Although I agree with it, this take is ironic because the exact same sentence could've been used to justify a zero restriction approach to Covid from the jump. I would've agreed with a zero restriction approach too. ????

Tolerance for choice is fine.  As long as the individuals are relying on facts.  Not misinformation from social media.  Which is a huge problem today.

You're completely missing long covid.  Those who spent huge amounts of their own money for medical care.  Families that are trying to deal with the loss of loved ones/money makers, etc.  It's way more than the fake 1% covid deniers keep coming up with.  Based purely on logic, we wouldn't be here right now.  People would have believed the science, and not the fake news.

So much for the argument that kids are OK.  As this person said, the odds of getting covid and dying are WAY greater than getting the vaccine and having serious side effects.  Simple logic was used by this person.  And correct information.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/26/opinion/covid-vaccine-kids.html?campaign_id=2&emc=edit_th_20211027&instance_id=43854&nl=todaysheadlines&regi_id=80027960&segment_id=72731&user_id=1298cdda864738dcf5f5cb52747197da

In the United States, more than six million children have been infected with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19, and more than 23,500 were hospitalized from it. Over 600 children ages 18 and under have died from the disease, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

That’s in large part because the coronavirus has spread so widely in the United States. Vaccine uptake among American adults has been lower than desired; combined with the highly contagious Delta variant and a decrease in mitigation measures like mask wearing in many parts of the country, it has taken a toll.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The world has gone mad.

Of course we have the few who blame everything on the folks who refuse to vaccinate. 25% of NYC Police and 30% of Chicago police have so far not reported being vaccinated. So along with inflation, crime will now soar in our major cities. 

• Like 1

I think that this has moved away from inflation and back onto vaccines.  The virus is the cause of pretty much all our current woes but the anti-vaxxers simply won't get vaccinated.  That is something we will have to learn to live and deal with it.  The hesitant -- and there are a lot of those -- will eventually get vaccinated.  

Perhaps weekly testing of those who aren't vaccinated is the best option for a lot of businesses? 

Regarding inflation, right now the supply chain issue seems to be the biggest problem.  

12 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

The world has gone mad.

Of course we have the few who blame everything on the folks who refuse to vaccinate. 25% of NYC Police and 30% of Chicago police have so far not reported being vaccinated. So along with inflation, crime will now soar in our major cities. 

Yeah, sad those who've pledged to protect others won't do it.  As Scott has said before, it's now killing more police than bullets.  Amazing how politics can ruin lives.

Just spoke with wifey about her recent shopping trip, the first in over 4 months here.  She said the price of meat has really gone up.  Same with some veggies, but that seems mainly due to the recent floods.

11 hours ago, Scott said:

I think that this has moved away from inflation and back onto vaccines.  The virus is the cause of pretty much all our current woes but the anti-vaxxers simply won't get vaccinated.  That is something we will have to learn to live and deal with it.  The hesitant -- and there are a lot of those -- will eventually get vaccinated.  

Perhaps weekly testing of those who aren't vaccinated is the best option for a lot of businesses? 

Regarding inflation, right now the supply chain issue seems to be the biggest problem. 

I believe the supply chain issue also impacts inflation.  Cost of cars going up, etc.

Tyson foods issued a mandate that all workers get vaccinated, or get fired.  96% are now vaccinated.  Seems mandates work.

Edited by Jeffr2

On 10/28/2021 at 6:23 PM, Jeffr2 said:

Yeah, sad those who've pledged to protect others won't do it.  As Scott has said before, it's now killing more police than bullets.  Amazing how politics can ruin lives.

Just spoke with wifey about her recent shopping trip, the first in over 4 months here.  She said the price of meat has really gone up.  Same with some veggies, but that seems mainly due to the recent floods.

Inflation in the US a major concern, crime is devouring some cities as shown below. Police policy is crippling the police from protecting the citizens.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/lawless-city-worry-portland-police-stop-chaos-80613763

I noticed it must be 6 years  ago before Mr T, the help wanted signs going up in southern Oregon. I saw it as a good sign at the time that the economy was picking up. But you still were lucky to get 10 or 11 an hr, and most the big box stores would not let you work full time so you couldn't get benefits. The cheapest rentals here are $1500 a month with the first and last and security deposit to get in. First months pay gone and you still have to get the electric and the water turned on. Now the only fast food place that has inside seating is Panda Express. They are paying 15 for the waiters  and up to 22 for cooks and managers. I just saw a place last week that was offering a $1000 hiring bonus (with stipulations).

Homelessness here is about the same as it has been for years, but I was up in Olympia Washington and it was unbelievable. The downtown city parking lot is now just a homeless camp. You see tents set up in the green area on the freeway on-ramps.

On  the other hand I know some kids (in their 20s now) that are making over $100,000 in their first jobs (Intuit, Boeings.) working from home.

On 10/25/2021 at 10:44 PM, HeijoshinCool said:

The media says it is because people want to stay on unemployment. That is pure BS. 

Maybe, maybe not......

.....40 prominent economists were asked whether they agree with this statement: “The $300 supplement to weekly unemployment benefits available from now through September 6 constitutes a major disincentive to work for lower-wage workers.” Nearly half (49%) said it was “uncertain,” while 28% said they agree or strongly agree, and 16% said they disagree.

University of Chicago economist Peter Ganong told the Wall Street Journal that the $300 UI supplement means that “42% of workers are making more than their pre-unemployment wage.”

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/06/is-unemployment-bonus-keeping-workers-on-sideline/

...and even if they're not making more, any "lost" take home pay could easily be compensated for by being able to sleep in; no commuting traffic hassles, nor having to pay for gas and maintenance for car commuters; no child care costs; and most importantly, not having to WORK, especially if that's in a personal service trade, where every day you have to face the unwashed masses of rude dudes. Yeah, the good life has been seen -- and it will take a lot more incentive by employers to get these workers back.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 6:42 AM, cmarshall said:

Inflation in the US should not be a cause for worry for American expats.  Just the opposite in fact.  The Social Security COLA for next year is 5.9% while inflation in Thailand for the trailing twelve months has been 1.68%.  That relationship could change, but as long as it persists we come out ahead.  

The main factor in this stew is the changing FX rate. From Jan 2021 to today (29.7 to 33.17 Bangkok Bank TT rate), the US dollar has appreciated 8.5% against the baht. Freeze this until next year (for arguments sake), then that additional 5.9% Social Security check (and my Air Force pension) will reap more than 8.5% increase in baht, should I be sending all these checks to Thailand. And, if Thailand's inflation rate remains below 2% -- well, you can do the math.

Thus, the key figure for expats running the numbers -- is the fickled FX rate. For those of us staying here, great news --until things reverse. For those repatriating their baht to dollars, and heading to Mexico -- sorry dude for the latest FX trend.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JimGant said:

Maybe, maybe not......

...and even if they're not making more, any "lost" take home pay could easily be compensated for by being able to sleep in; no commuting traffic hassles, nor having to pay for gas and maintenance for car commuters; no child care costs; and most importantly, not having to WORK, especially if that's in a personal service trade, where every day you have to face the unwashed masses of rude dudes. Yeah, the good life has been seen -- and it will take a lot more incentive by employers to get these workers back.

Most states have discontinued the $300/week extra cream on top from the feds, just for that reason....

So, nope that's not the reason they have a worker shortage. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 6:33 AM, EVENKEEL said:

Inflation in the US a major concern, crime is devouring some cities as shown below. Police policy is crippling the police from protecting the citizens.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/lawless-city-worry-portland-police-stop-chaos-80613763

Figures you'd pivot to Portland. A favorite city to bash for the right wing crowd.

Police policy is a mess. Republicans have been in control for years and didn't solve it. Now they blame the opposition.  ridiculous.

The crazy legal system is crippling the police. And the politicians do nothing about it other than blame the opposition. That goes for both sides.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2021 at 7:51 AM, JimGant said:

Maybe, maybe not......

On 11/2/2021 at 12:44 PM, HeijoshinCool said:

Most states have discontinued the $300/week extra cream on top from the feds, just for that reason....

So, nope that's not the reason they have a worker shortage. 

"New state-level data released Friday by the Bureau of Labor Statistics showed the group of mostly Republican led states that dropped a $300 weekly unemployment benefit over the summer added jobs in August at less than half the pace of states that retained the benefits."

https://www.reuters.com/business/amid-covid-surge-states-that-cut-benefits-still-see-no-hiring-boost-2021-09-17/