First COVID Delta+ case found in Thailand, no cause of alarm – DCD

webfact

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand has recorded its first case of the Delta Plus variant of COVID-19, but there is no cause for concern

I'm sure I recall them saying the same thing about the first case of the Delta variant, what seems like a lifetime ago.

Edited by Guderian

1 hour ago, Almer said:

Time for concern indeed, how did it get into Thailand with such strict border measures, is it airborne that it can self propel between continents or heaven help us delivered by birds or on/in freight, but no need to panic chaps the Good man has said,  let’s wait until”all is revealed “ which I am sure will be in a timely manor and by many.

From the way the article is written I think we can see how the government WANTS the Thai population to think it arrived:

"He did not elaborate about the case, but said that the Department of Medical Science will hold a press conference on Tuesday to provide more details.

Dr. Chawetsan said that, over the past 28 days, Delta Plus cases in the United Kingdom have increased, accounting for 6% of all the infections involving other variants, mostly the Delta variant."

Dirty farang to blame again. Odd that they failed to mention that Delta+ is also causing chaos in China. I wonder why??

18 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Meanwhile back in the UK, fully open, and latest government study showing encouraging signs. 

Covid: Are cases about to plummet without Plan B? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59039739

Excellent article from the BBC's Nick Triggle, possibly the only journalist with a balanced, non-hysterical view of this pandemic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pretty amazing how strong and efficient this virus is.

China for sure has improved their product quality control and you can no longer say things “Made in China” are bad quality.

Edited by khunpa
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, khunpa said:

Pretty amazing how strong and efficient this virus is.

China for sure has improved their product quality control and you can no longer say things “Made in China” are bad quality.

Yeah for sure man.  I'm sure you'd choose Sinovac and Sinofarm over other western vaccines any day. 

I think with this Delta+ those Chinese vaccines will more and more prove its uselessness day by day. 

I hope you were being sarcastic.  

48 minutes ago, Stocky said:

How anyone with any sanity can claim Bangkok is 100% vaccinated is beyond me. Does anyone really know what the population of Bangkok is before we even start on the vaccination claim?

Me and my wife are not vaccinated and we are in Bangkok.

• Like 2

This case was found last month in the community..............

Dr Chawetsan said the variant, also known as AY.4.2, was found in a 49-year-old man working in Ayutthaya's Bang Sai area last month. The man had no history of travel to risk areas or abroad, the director said.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/thailand-finds-first-local-delta-plus-covid-19-case

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

No cause for alarm. This government has nothing but the best interests of the people at heart. They never show favoritism, they always hire the most qualified and the most experienced, cronyism is never a factor, and their level of transparency and honesty places them at the top of the world rankings. Please do not worry. 

spidermike007 for moderator in 2022!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The 100% vaccination number in the original article is also fake news.

76.2% of the Thai population have been vaccinated, with 100% in Bangkok, 82.7% in Phuket, 72.4% in Samut Prakan and over 50% in the rest of the country having been inoculated.

What's about the millions of people (thais and foreigners) who signed up for Moderna.

None has been vaccinated yet.

Another lie, another fake news.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

They said don't worry when they first found the first original delta in Bangkok and that they would contain it.

Then it became the biggest wave in Thailand surpassing all variants. 

I hope this new wave isn't as devastating. What the heck is Delta+? Why not rename it as Gamma?

5 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Don't panic! Don't Panic! Don't panic!????

On a Garuda flight one engine caught on fire...all i could hear over the intercom was the Indonesian pilot trying to calm up passengers, but his first word (I suspect) was 'don't', but all I could hear was "mumble PANIC ....mumble PANIC". 

Just thinking about virus mutations and how new strains occur.

I'm no virologist so am pretty ignorant of the details of how these things work but isn't it a bit simplistic to assume that any new strain only has a single source?  Is it not possible that the same mutation can occur in more than one location?

We hear a lot about tracing 'patient zero' but it seems to me that this might not be an individual but that there could be several of them in, possibly. widespread locations.  If so, this obviously makes tracking the disease a lot more difficult.

10 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It is contained

Explain?

When found on the 21st May in Lak Si area it then went onto spread throughout the whole of Thailand and killed thousands of people, to this day its still over 42,000 being treated in real hospitals. 

5 minutes ago, doctormann said:

Just thinking about virus mutations and how new strains occur.

I'm no virologist so am pretty ignorant of the details of how these things work but isn't it a bit simplistic to assume that any new strain only has a single source?  Is it not possible that the same mutation can occur in more than one location?

We hear a lot about tracing 'patient zero' but it seems to me that this might not be an individual but that there could be several of them in, possibly. widespread locations.  If so, this obviously makes tracking the disease a lot more difficult.

Well, yes, Delta+ has been found in Massachusetts, London, Beijing, Bang Sai, and inner Mongolia so far, and those are just the cases that have been picked up by random testing. I think the idea that there is only 1 case in a country whose mass testing is woefully inept is kinda off the mark.

• Like 1