GWM Ora BEV

Silurian

Get to know “ORA”, the 100% Electric Vehicle Brand by Great Wall Motor Smart Technologies and New Driving Experience are Coming to Thailand

I've been watching this BEV for a little while now. The style is sort of a March/Swift cross. The price is supposed to range from 900kB to 1.2MB.

ora-good-cat-autonomous-car.jpg?width=500&height=332.8333333333333

What do you think?

• Haha 1

On 10/29/2021 at 9:25 PM, DavisH said:

Too expensive here - in China it ranges from 536-745K baht. Many Thais who reserved it are now complaining online. 

I can hardly disagree with this statement, but I would like to point out that basically all cars in Thailand are relatively overpriced.

For example, the now outdated MG ZE VE costs 1.2 million Bath in Thailand while you can get it for 550,000 in China.

https://www.ridebuster.com/mg-zs-ev-price-china/

Even the now aging Nissan Leaf is far from being a bargain despite a price reduction of 500,000 Bath.
Countless similar examples in the combustion engine category could also be cited.

In contrast, the list of features and specs of the new Ora in this price segment is quite long and quite impressive:

https://www.gwm.co.th/en/car-specification/?rdr=3717

image.png.7ff1dc377539db84b37250dac479bfb4.png

I took my first test drive yesterday and I'm not really 100% convinced, but I still kept my order and paid the first 10.000.Bath:

image.png.6256ceb67e2ced830316b992f9052773.png

In Germany the new Ora will also be rolled out soon starting at 30k€ and will only cost similar to China due to government imposed subsidies for EVs.

There are still some questions and concerns to clarify what for example the menu navigation or at all the operability of the car concerns, how the safety assistants behave, unfortunately as a test car is not a top model available, as I ordered. 
Voice commands go only in Thai, The associated app to order there is only in the Thai App Store and is predominantly only in Thai despite available English and Chinese as a language option.

I still have until Nov 14 to make a final decision, but tend to maintain my order....

This is the charger that is provided by GWM.

image.png.d4252afabb6bab7615d64bbe52ec9bc4.png

• Thanks 1

Very similar in shape to my Swift, especially the wheels all the way back at the rear corners. I like my Swift.

Yeah, I like watching car vids, and so have been getting a barrage of these Good Cat Thai adverts and reviews. Yeah, 1 mil is steep considering that gets you into a loaded pickup or SUV.

Good Cat is a good, cute name. Yes, you certainly want the Good Cat, the one who's always happy when you come home, plays with and gives you affection. You don't want the Bad Cat who ignores you, and tears up all your stuff.

GWM use NEDC to rate their range of their vehicles. This has been replaced by WLTP. It gives a more realistic measure of range. I found onlne that the WLTP for the65kwh battery is 420km and 336km for the lower spec cars. Still, it's quite a good number and is only surpassed by 5M+ baht electric vehicles.  The lack of rear wiper is a major oversight for a hatchback. Better keep a bunch of wet wipes in the car for rainy days. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DavisH said:

There is no NCAP rating as yet. 

Followed one car - make and model unknown - but was sure quiet.

Stopped at the lights, pulled up beside it.

Driver sits very far forward - like a Smart. Hate to imagine what would happen in a crash, crumble zones look non existent.

Kinda looked like this ...

ev1.jpg

8 hours ago, seedy said:

Followed one car - make and model unknown - but was sure quiet.

Stopped at the lights, pulled up beside it.

Driver sits very far forward - like a Smart. Hate to imagine what would happen in a crash, crumble zones look non existent.

Kinda looked like this ...

ev1.jpg

Probably would fare a bit better than a Chery Transcab at 0 stars lolimage.png.ac25d7a728b2769d8106a13c9412a65e.png

On 10/31/2021 at 1:55 PM, seedy said:

Has the Ora undergone crash testing, roll over, etc ?

If it is being sold here obviously it will have in order to meet Thai, and international (Asean NCAP) safety requirements, as their other models do.  If they want any sales I can't imagine any circumstances in which it would not have been done.

Edit:  

SAFETY LABORATORY

The Great Wall Motor Safety Laboratory with advanced test capabilities started operations in April 2008 with a track length of 325 meters covering an area of 12,000 square meters.The safety laboratory covers four functional test rooms- vehicle crash test room, simulated crash test room, pedestrian protection test room and component safety test room, forming a complete passive safety performance development test system. The lab adheres to international independent innovation and development standards, and has built NCAP and C-IASI, IIHS and other insurance evaluation capabilities.

The safety laboratory has completed the safety performance testing of dozens of models such as Great Wall Sedan/Pickup Series, Haval SUV Series, WEY Series, and New Energy Vehicle Series. Through the efficient integration of performance analysis and product development, we have successfully ensured that each model adheres to the highest safety standards and NCAP star goals are achieved.

https://www.gwm-global.com/innovation/safety/

Edited by Liverpool Lou

Too expensive for such a small car. NEDC range is a joke, you can only reach it if you drive 50km/h in city only. Try traveling far at 120km/h and AC on. Charging is probably a pain in the butt with 50KW chargers preferred by Charging stations.

On 11/5/2021 at 1:23 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

If there isn't an ANCAP rating for the Ora specifically yet, there will be when it goes on sale.

Well, people are bookign it already, and being test driven on the road. So let's wait and see. It should be 5 stars, but I will wait to see the rating.