Older expats now prohibited from adopting puppies

There are literally hundreds of thousands of dogs in Thailand in need of a loving home.  Contact your local temples and tell them you are interested in puppies should any of the temple's bitches have a litter.  It's sad to hear that farangs working with adopted animals are now gatekeepers. Or just look online in Chiang Mai Facebook groups.  Then you are dealing with the dog's owners and not some middle-man.  One of our bitches had a litter this time last year.  When looking for potential adoptees all we were concerned with was that they'd have a loving home and be well cared for. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the pic Gudarien - she's so, so beautiful! Motorbike taxi info is a good idea - I'll give it a try. My Thai language is simply awful - can't cope with the 'grammar' - but I'll work something out. There's no help at all in this very small moo baan - my next-door neighbour even complained about the noises my adored Ban Kaew Ellie was making at night before she died just over a week ago. Had to stop myself being very, very uncool at that point. The expat community in this area most certainly isn't what it was.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Millions????maybe a slight exaggeration!

Really?

Just how many Sois do you think there are, thousands?

In less than a square Kilometers of where I live the are hundreds of Sois, small, medium and large, interconnecting, adjoining - leading to others.

I don't think 'millions' across the whole of Thailand is an unreasonable guesstimate.

Certainly millions of the filthy, vicious little s**t mongrels that live in them.

I mean the dogs of course.......

• Like 1

I find it irresponsible and down right cruel, what the centre did, and what the lady did. Why the <deleted> could they have not mentioned this up front, before he even looked at pictures, never mind choosing and letting him see and meet the dogs.

cruel, so cruel. 

• Like 2

Don't "adopt" just leave that option for those that qualify.

Just search for your new doggos on the thai website Kaidee.  There of dozens of chihuahua and toy breeders located in the Chang Mai - Chang Rai area.  That is where the bulk of puppy factories are that supply Bangkok.

The cost of a nice chihuahua puppy is about 3,500 baht.  You can get exactly what you want.

On 10/29/2021 at 6:24 PM, elena edwards said:

if you're an older retiree - please remember not to set your heart on a furry puppy friend unless you lie like crazy from the get-go!

You could just buy a puppy.

Don't forget to write that 'ageist' foundation out of your will.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Here is a gorgeous shih tzu chihuhua mix for 1700 baht:

https://www.kaidee.com/product-363799399

Delivery by air is less than 1000 baht for most breeders and it includes a carry box and drink bottle that would cost you 400-500 baht to buy anyway.

Breeder will send at dropoff at airport and then email you the carrier receipt with flight and arrival details.  You just need to go to airport to collect.  Make sure you request a copy of the sellers ID card before you proceed.

• Like 2

I wonder what the person with the puppies in the OP uses as a life expectancy target for expats?  Would she allow adoption of an older dog, say a 5-10 year old abandoned dog, rather than a puppy?