Older expats now prohibited from adopting puppies

3 hours ago, Anant72 said:

Did you ask what was the rule and where you could check it?

It's a private agency. They can make whatever rules they want. Do you think it's a freaking corporation with a mission statement and printed rules? Geeze.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OMG, yet "another" gold medal MORONIC Thai decision! And I thought they couldn't get any more STUPID than the club/bar booze ban!?

I brought my collie from Wales UK as a young pup out 4 years ago, I will be leaving soon in the next year and as much as I TOTALLY ADORE Thailand, if I cannot bring her back in with me , it will be bye bye to Thailand forever, the thought of which is tearing at my heart strings!

Someone needs to change this BS law, if anything elderly people (which I am NOT) are way more likely to be devoted & caring of their pets, more sensible and way more responsible!!!

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

The incredible cruelty of the worker astounds me.

Led you to believe that you could adopt, brought the pups around , then reneged.

Why did she not tell you about this long before allowing you to become hopeful, and bring the pups to you?

I wanted to adopt a new dog when mine passed away, a dog rescue woman another falang told me yes we have two brother and sister, both neutered, and on collar and lead, these turned out to be a living nightmare, they hated me and on a lead was ridicules, near on wrenching my arm out of its socket, they tried to escape as soon as look at me, digging under the fence and then climbing up over it, I kept at it for 2 months coaxing with treats etc, nah they weren't having a bar of me in fact the male was barking at me in my own garden, after many times telling the rescue woman all she kept doing was coming and taking photos telling me they will go to Canada. The crunch came when they got out and stole chewed a shoe of a neighbour costing 1,200 baht. One of their rescue workers came and took the dogs away Phew. They never did go to Canada.

Moral of this story NEVER let these rescue dogs be 'delivered' to you, go and see them first to check out their reaction to you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Adumbration said:
12 hours ago, Moonlover said:

But despite many temptations and offers, I will not adopt one of them. Like the O/P I'm getting on a bit, 75 in fact and although I am fit and healthy with no record of illness, I'm a realist and I'm aware that I could 'spin off this mortal coil at any time'. (to quote Shakespeare)  And a dog who losses their master or mistress is a very sad dog.

11 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Flawed logic I am afraid.  Fact is that all most all farangs here are at best on a 12 month visa.  That could change in heartbeat due some random decision from government or the outbreak of conflict between the west and China over Taiwan.

Best a dog could hope for is that their farang master will be around for at least another 12 months.  Especially if they are from a country such as Australia that will do everything possible to stop you from expatriating a Thai doggo.

Sorry but your argument would seem to reinforce my logic, although I do think it's somewhat melodramatic!

On 10/29/2021 at 6:24 PM, elena edwards said:

It would now appear that expats of around 70 years or older were no longer considered suitable for puppy adoptions

There is no rule, at least not one that is ever enforced. its just the stupid opinion of  one idiot. There are plenty more shelters who will welcome you with open arms. 

Edited by Doctor Tom
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, nobodysfriend said:

BS !

In more than 50 yrs with dogs , never seen that happen ...

No not BS at all.  This year the beach dogs here where starving and regularly attacked and ate pups from new litters.  Thais are not the only ones suffering from no tourists.

Pre covid also the pack numbers were getting out of hand.  A pack attacked and tried to eat a Thai toddler on the beach at Sarasin.

Edited by Adumbration

On 10/29/2021 at 6:34 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I was thinking about this yesterday, what happens to dogs when they outlive owners.

Anyway, just pick up some soi dog puppies like Thais do

Excellent and practical solution. This is how I acquired my pet cat (then a kitten), in fact.

On 10/30/2021 at 7:14 PM, Adumbration said:

Here is a gorgeous shih tzu chihuhua mix for 1700 baht:

https://www.kaidee.com/product-363799399

Delivery by air is less than 1000 baht for most breeders and it includes a carry box and drink bottle that would cost you 400-500 baht to buy anyway.

Breeder will send at dropoff at airport and then email you the carrier receipt with flight and arrival details.  You just need to go to airport to collect.  Make sure you request a copy of the sellers ID card before you proceed.

That's very interesting. So cats & dogs can travel on domestic airlines.... opens up possibilities for travel within Thailand which I was, until now, unaware of. Previously thought that private car or taxi, and 3rd class rail were the only options.

Could have sworn I checked the budget airlines such as Air Asia, Nok, etc.. Came away with the belief that it was not possible. 

Edited by OishiRefill

4 hours ago, OishiRefill said:

That's very interesting. So cats & dogs can travel on domestic airlines.... opens up possibilities for travel within Thailand which I was, until now, unaware of. Previously thought that private car or taxi, and 3rd class rail were the only options.

Could have sworn I checked the budget airlines such as Air Asia, Nok, etc.. Came away with the belief that it was not possible. 

Commonly available service.  Just need to have carry box with water bottle fitted.  Make sure you zip tie the front door before leaving for airline staff. Shop around for carry box.  We buy ours here from a local petshop for just 280 baht.  

• Thanks 1