Thailand looks to welcome tourists again — less than half its population is fully vaccinated

webfact

2 minutes ago, kevc said:

That's a bit unfair saying all those countries only add up to about sixty million but Thailand should've pulled their finger out saying how independent they are on tourists.

They just won't admit it.

Too many bar girls and average Somchais having their fancy new 4x4 being repossessed by the banks because they can't afford the payments due to the lack of "sponsorship" from foreign mongers, punters and the like.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Internet is up and running.

not the same--the flowing sundresses, the big hat and giant sunglasses...nikes and/or yankees cap...walking in the street lost looking for the snail white/ mango/ durian/ latex pillow/ 7-11 for a mama cup and sim card..(sigh)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ezzra said:

If i were a tourist thinking of coming to Thailand, i'd wait at least 3 or more months before i book anything or make plans to come, from the simple reason that everything is still up in the air and the goal posts can be moved at any moment without any reasons or prior notice as the people who make the rules as they go themselves not sure what to do...

Singapore warned Australia about opening up, it was on Channel 9 news, NZ is also cautious trying to get to 90 % vaccinated, the main worry is that the hospitals may not be able to cope. 

So what's that tell you. 

If cases spike when they open, make sure you keep your covid insurance policy up to date. 

Everyone is going to have to open sooner or later, most of the cases appearing in NZ are getting over Covid-19 delta at home, self isolating, very few in hospital, if that's the trend then opening up might not overwhelme the health systems, let's hope so, let's hope herd immunity kicks in, but I think that we'll still have to behave, social distancing and masks for some time. 

36 minutes ago, MaiChai said:

ICUs are full in Chiang Mai and other parts of Thailand. Thailand opens up to tourism while covid is still raging; we left end of Aug when things were starting to ramp up; its going to be a while before it ramps down. The government blocks real news reporting and you only hear the leaks from disgruntled doctors and nurses on Facebook.

Thailand was very complacent with getting vaccine orders in because they thought covid would not hit them because they made it hard for foreigners to visit, but that didn't take into account Burmese trafficked across the border to work in the factories, who contracted the Delta variant from the Indians next door. Most of my wifes relatives have received vaccines in Thailand donated from other countries.

Spot on, they thought they would be churning out Astra in Thailand, until India went of the scale and ingredients became short. 

Unfortunately it seems the cases in hospitals are elderly and those with underlying health issues, In NZ at the moment very low hospital numbers, one elderly death. If you smoke then your recovery may be longer, but 40% vaccinated may be a bit on the light side, I'm going to wait a few months yet before we return. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, VBF said:

But UNLIKE UK, far fewer people are vaccinated.....an essential difference, don't you think?

Just a matter of a little time... Thailand is vaccinating large numbers (far far more daily than the UK even achieved, about 1.5x in fact) and focusing on cities and tourist areas. Daily new infections, hospital admissions and daily deaths here are well below UK numbers...and in the case of deaths and hospital admissions, in the UK they are rising, in Thailand falling. If anything, the UK is getting ahead of itself....

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

A post with a link to the Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on ASEANNOW.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

21 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Hard if you have a Thai wife,gik, or girlfriend.

....Or all three.

You don't have to go along. But of course you may still suffer from whatever your partner(s) brings back with them. 

I've not had physical contact with my grandson since April because his grandmother, with whom he stays, refuses to stop visiting these unhygienic markets. She says things like, "but they've all been cleaned" to which I reply "after they were found to be dirty". 

18 minutes ago, Keesters said:

You don't have to go along. But of course you may still suffer from whatever your partner(s) brings back with them. 

I've not had physical contact with my grandson since April because his grandmother, with whom he stays, refuses to stop visiting these unhygienic markets. She says things like, "but they've all been cleaned" to which I reply "after they were found to be dirty". 

I personally love the unhygienic markets.  I would be living in another country if sanitation was a major concern.  

20 hours ago, atpeace said:

Yes and 60 are vaccinated which is what I was replying to but think you know that.

Anyway 70% is just not enough- 80% perhaps, but even then UK is still experiencing a big surge despite the population also having much higher naturally acquired immunity.

21 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Anyway 70% is just not enough- 80% perhaps, but even then UK is still experiencing a big surge despite the population also having much higher naturally acquired immunity.

I agree. Not sure what percentage if any will end surges.  Think it is time to look at what we can do to live with Covid.  Vaccines might not be the answer and what then?  Do we accept a certain number of deaths? Do we promote healthy life styles?  Personally I have never feared the virus.  Many things I do are riskier but am ultra aware that my situation doesn't apply to most.  I do my best to accommodate their situation and this is primarily why I made a concerted effort to get vaccinated.  

2 hours ago, atpeace said:

I personally love the unhygienic markets.  I would be living in another country if sanitation was a major concern.  

I do too to a certain degree. But at the moment I feel they are unsafe covid wise. Too much space given to stalls and not enough to shoppers resulting in stallholders sitting pretty with 2 meters or more free air around them while shoppers are bumping into each other all the time. 

Some of my best memories are of Bangkok's weekend market when it was on Sanam Luang (Sanam Luang Flea Market). 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Just a matter of a little time... Thailand is vaccinating large numbers (far far more daily than the UK even achieved, about 1.5x in fact) and focusing on cities and tourist areas. Daily new infections, hospital admissions and daily deaths here are well below UK numbers...and in the case of deaths and hospital admissions, in the UK they are rising, in Thailand falling. If anything, the UK is getting ahead of itself....

I don't actually know the absolute numbers, but are you sure about that 1.5 times figure? Happy to accept it if it's fact but have a doubt or two! 

But, as you say - it's a matter of time - maybe this "opening" should be delayed until Thailand has vaccinated more, but then the people relying on "High Season" would suffer even more. Dammed if you do and........

Just now, VBF said:

I don't actually know the absolute numbers, but are you sure about that 1.5 times figure? Happy to accept it if it's fact but have a doubt or two! 

But, as you say - it's a matter of time - maybe this "opening" should be delayed until Thailand has vaccinated more, but then the people relying on "High Season" would suffer even more. Dammed if you do and........

There is a poster called anchadian who as been posting Thai vaccination numbers....and the weeks total is often close to 6mil/week. The best day ever in the UK was around 700,000 but usually less. Say 500k as a daily average during Mar 2021. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/31/2021 at 7:45 AM, aboctok said:

If there's one word you never want to misspell...

????True indeed. The neuropsychologists told me years ago, following concussion sustained in a road accident, that I may never fully recover. But I am pleased with my progress. Short-term memory loss and a total mess with spelling has made life a real challenge. However, I am now back into brushing up on all the languages I speak. The spelling in the Germanic languages gets mixed up, due to similarities. 

Never mind. My occasional stumble gives smarta****s like yourself the opportunity to kick someone when they are down, which no doubt is what you live for. Enjoy. 

(Into my 70's now, and guess what: I don't care.)

Edited by TechnikaIII

Been reading how Thailand is going to do this and that with tourism for months. But at the end of the day it all comes down to a few simple things, who wants to holiday in a ghost country with not much open and what best is a big unknown as things change so quickly. One thing saying you're open for business but not serving much and you may have trouble returning to your home country. Until much more is done to vaccine more Thai people and get the numbers down it's difficult to see large numbers of people returning to visit any time soon.

Hmm let me see…

1. Complicated paper-work before travel.

2. Risk of being dragged off to field hospital if tested positive after arrival.

3. Risk of being arrested for enjoying a beer on your holiday.

4. Most things closed at destination and the few open venues close very early. Make sure to be in bed at 10pm.

I am sure many will come as this seems very stress-free and great fun.

Edited by khunpa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2021 at 7:57 PM, TechnikaIII said:

????True indeed. The neuropsychologists told me years ago, following concussion sustained in a road accident, that I may never fully recover. But I am pleased with my progress. Short-term memory loss and a total mess with spelling has made life a real challenge. However, I am now back into brushing up on all the languages I speak. The spelling in the Germanic languages gets mixed up, due to similarities. 

Never mind. My occasional stumble gives smarta****s like yourself the opportunity to kick someone when they are down, which no doubt is what you live for. Enjoy. 

(Into my 70's now, and guess what: I don't care.)

Nice article for someone who doesn't care. So it's true indeed, or I kicked you when you were down, which is it? Lol, if that counts as a kicking, you've lived a very soft life.