Thai teaching style: do Thai teachers tend to get angry if students have difficulty understanding a topic?

wolf81

I am wondering about the Thai teaching style, since my daughter is going to a Thai private school.

Just today a niece of our daughter is at our home. My girlfriend is helping her with some homework as apparently this girl has been lazy, not been doing her homework. Now she's doing math, basic addition and subtraction. This girl is going to a free government school.

But this niece (7 year old) is apparently having trouble doing basic calculations, e.g. 8 + 4 = 12. Now my girlfriend tends to become angry (raise her voice a bit, sounding a bit aggressive) as this girl is having trouble doing these calculations. I do feel this girl isn't as smart as most children her age, but I don't feel raising the voice and becoming a tad angry is helping her understanding. But I've been wondering: maybe my girlfriend is mimicking behaviour she saw from teachers back when she was a girl?

So my question: how do Thai teachers deal with children that have difficulty understanding a topic? Do Thai teachers tend to become a little bit angry? 

I wouldn't want a teacher exhibit this behaviour when our daughter would have difficulty understanding some topic ...

Edited by wolf81
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

In fear of stereotyping, my experience is that if something doesn't go the way that some people want, the default setting is anger and violence. (Not just in Thailand, either.)

To clarify and expand: Some women were doing an activity proscribed by law, and one was losing badly and one was winning a lot. The one losing badly appealed for credit. When she was refused, she found a snake and threw it at the one who was winning.

My SIL owes shed loads of money on the back of other activities proscribed by law. When the people she owes come to collect. Default anger and sweary words. 

Perhaps it's nurture that pushes teachers to lose patience, but, that being said, teaching of a person who may not be as quick on the uptake as the teacher expects and wants, requires skill sets that some teachers don't have.

• Like 1

Maybe I am wrong, I think what your girlfriend is doing, is following the failed method of the Thai teachers that probably taught her in the past, teach them the theory and in her case gets frustrated because the kid doesn’t understand it. 

Generally Thai teachers usually don’t get angry, they don’t express their frustration or punish students, they just do their job as they have been directed to do. They do this until they retire and they get a pension.

This is why there is little in the way of “special needs” teaching in Thailand, the kid usually gets it or not. I have never heard a teacher expressing concern about a certain kids ability like the NES teachers do but I have heard plenty of them announcing the weeks to retirement on a Monday morning. What they might do is suggest a badly performing student attend special tuition at their backyard cram school.

You didn’t say how she was teaching, if the kid doesn’t get basic addition and subtraction at age 7 then she needs to take a step back, use pencils, Lego blocks or balls of paper to demonstrate, and achieve understanding then give the kid colouring pages for maths or use real life examples. Make it fun, then there is no reason to get angry or mock the child.

My reply is a little OT but it’s just my opinion of what I saw over the years.

• Like 2

I went to Catholic school in the time when primary and secondary kids were subject to corporal punishment by, priests, nuns, teachers and selected administration staff. This was cane or tawse, depending on the institution. 

I stammered badly as a kid and when I was 10 years old and had to stand up to read in front of the 48 strong class, I read very badly indeed. One teacher threatened to beat me if I stammered in his class. Surprisingly enough, I stopped stammering in his class from then on. 

Just sayin'

I dare to say that most Thai teachers are cruel for the kids. If they don't understand and can not doit they are lazy, or and got hit. It happens already in kindergarten with as a result that kids are afraid to ask the teacher to telll again or explain one more time. The teachers in Thailand can not be questioned.. the idea is that a teacher is clear in explanations and asking means loosing face for the teacher. 

It happened when I was teaching I cam into a class for my lesson and there were fractions on the blackboard of the previous lesson. My job was teaching converstation English,but as a warming up I wrote a similar fration on the blackboard and asked who knew the answer for a few candies if it was correct.  Except 2 students nobody knew the answer and a few students said to me that they did not understand fractions. So instead of doing my lesson I explained the whole frations and the students were happy and 90% understood. The result was that every lesson they wanted to play a game with fractions math....... and I knew that they would never have asked their math teacher...  

• Like 2

I found that the government school teachers were less angry than private school teachers , in my experience the private school teachers have a too high opinion of them selves , I took my children out the private schools and gave them go to the government school , it was the best thing I ever did for their education 

• Like 1

Most teachers that I have seen at semi private and government schools do not care.  The old ones are jaded and past their used buy date.  They are putting in time and that is it.

There are always a couple of teachers that are willing to help after class but the students must approach them

If your niece is lazy7 then they simply do not care.  If she does not ask for help and do what they suggest then they do not care.

remember kids never fail so at some point the school does not even care as long as they are getting the money.

Yes if a new teacher comes in and gets results then the older ones feel threatened and will react in a negative way.

Like a lot of things in LOS it is felt that things work well so why get excited or make changes.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Foghorn said:

I found that the government school teachers were less angry than private school teachers , in my experience the private school teachers have a too high opinion of them selves , I took my children out the private schools and gave them go to the government school , it was the best thing I ever did for their education 

I went to see a friend that use to teach in a private school where I live. We had lunch first where he sat next to two female teachers I asked my friend what subject the ladies where teaching. He said English but they can't speak it. I then went to his class, about 35 kids. The ones who wanted to learn sat in the front of the class, in the middle were the kids who didn't really want to be there as they were the trouble makers, and the ones in the back of the class were all sleeping. So I asked my friend how many students failed his class at the end of the year. He said none they all pass as the schools needs them back next year.

Edited by vandeventer
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 7:19 AM, wolf81 said:

But this niece (7 year old) is apparently having trouble doing basic calculations, e.g. 8 + 4 = 12. Now my girlfriend tends to become angry (raise her voice a bit, sounding a bit aggressive) as this girl is having trouble doing these calculations.

Teachers are teachers, some good, some bad, some indifferent-I don't think you can classify all Thai teachers a a homogenous group.

Is your niece being allowed access to counting objects [cubes, coins, counters, pieces of pasta, whatever] or a 1-20 numberline to help with these types of problem? If not then she should be.

Start with the counting objects when attempting the problem, initially sort into sets and count all and move onto counting on/back [if subtracting] from the larger number once confidence starts to grow.  As she gains in confidence over time move onto a numberline [counting on/back from the larger number]

Edited by Bluespunk

5 hours ago, Foghorn said:

Good move - you pay quite a lot to attend a private school but as far as I could ascertain, teachers don't need to have a teaching degree to teach in a private school, most do have degrees but its not necessary, many do have teaching related degrees, and are in the process of passing their government teachers exams because the money and benefits are much better.

Conditions for Thai staff in a lot of private school are pretty bad - generally poor pay, long hours, weekend work, forever at the beck and call of the owners - There is more pressure to push kids through the system as the parents pay for the privilege.

I guess not all private schools are the same, I have worked across the board in both government and private Pratom and Mathayom schools. Government schools are usually a much better idea.

If this young lady cannot control her emotions while teaching a 7 year old child, then she should not be given the authority or task to teach her. 

a little bit of imagination can do wonders.

The child is having problems as basic as adding 8+4 =12, right?

12 pencils/apples/tomatoes/12 anything. 

sort into two piles - 8 & 4

Using fingers, or even just adding one object to the 8 already in one group and asking the child how many there are now, is a simple method that the child can relate to, providing she has knowledge of basic numbers.

My wife used a similar method of teaching our 14 year old daughter many years ago. It worked.

Our daughter will never be in the 'math' class, but she knows how to simple stuff like that and can cope now with the more complex math stuff.

Thai people in general cannot do mental arithmetic.

I have seen this countless times over the last 16 years.

Patience is very rewarding - get rid of the temper-prone niece!

do it yourself if necessary.

On 11/2/2021 at 12:50 PM, Foghorn said:

The best way to teach kids basic maths is with using money , if your niece learns let her keep the money , watch how quick she learns , worth the cost

Does not seem to work, went into a well known opticians yesterday and bought something for 290 baht and gave her 1k baht note. She needed a calculator to work the change out! Probably has a degree, but hopefully not in maths

My younger son had some difficulty early on, first couple years in grade school.  Couldn't count coins (pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters ...), got frustrated, all that.  But with good teaching and schools, he got with the program.  25 years later he's a crackerjack machinist, CAD/CAM programmer and general know-it-all, LOL. 

I don't think teachers got angry with him, but he would get angry and frustrated.  Sometimes to the point (early on - before schooling) he would stop breathing.  Kids are all different.

• Like 1

sorry, but you can't genralise about 'thai teachers'. there are good and bad teachers in thailand, as there are good and bad teachers in every country. i often talk to my friend's children about how they are doing at school and it is clear there are some very good thai teachers.

One remark about people that comment about generalising teacher behaviour. Of course not all teachers have the same teaching style, however I do believe there could be a norm in a country, hence why I stated: "Do Thai teachers tend to become a little bit angry?".

Anyways thanks for all responses, gives me some food for thought. I discussed my girlfriends teaching style with my girlfriend and she explained me she does the same as her sister did to her. Her sister would even hit my girlfriend if she tried to explain a subject and my girlfriend wouldn't understand it. I asked my girlfriend if she believes that kind of behaviour helped her understand subjects better and I think she got the point. 

I aided the niece of our daughter a little bit with her maths homework (I am quite patient and I enjoy teaching people stuff) and I did see as we did more math exercises together, she began to improve. Was nice to see.

Perhaps in the future at some point I should consider doing some part-time teaching in Thailand (if possible). But first need to safe retirement money with freelance computer programming, which earns a whole lot more ...

On 11/2/2021 at 12:50 PM, Foghorn said:

The best way to teach kids basic maths is with using money , if your niece learns let her keep the money , watch how quick she learns , worth the cost

Tried it with my son. But it was a disaster when we got to fractions ????

I think Thai teachers, in general, don't like to answer questions. This is why you see in many government schools, the students will rarely ask questions of the teacher, especially in the class in front of everybody. Do you understand? "yes teacher". But actually many of them don't, and they don't like to ask. Good teachers should never ask that question. 

I asked one of my m3 students who went to a new Thai school wheter she can ask questions of the teacher - she said yes, but they don't like it. I guess its to reduce the chance of loss of face for the teacher when they cannot understand. S0 I think it's not so much that they would get angry, but really its not a cultural thing. They may approach teachers outside of the class or online if they want more help. Or end up in cram schools as they don't learn a lot is regular school. 

• 1 month later...

"Thai teaching style: do Thai teachers tend to get angry if students have difficulty understanding a topic?"

I Think any teacher gets frustrated when pupils don't grasp what there being taught.

I think even  more so in Thailand's public schools.  Many kids playing on there phones these days.

It would drive anyone crazy.