Visa Run To Poipet

like Polly said try Nong Kai, it is a nicer place VS Poipet

Thanks for the reccomendations Polly and Chingy, very much appreciated. Might try Nong Kai instead.

BTW, what's the closest border town to Surin to do a Visa run. Could kill two birds with one stone and visit the in laws as well.

thanks again.

I also heard of that direction, as of my knowledge that road is really bad, that's what my GF told me, but than again the last time she use that road was 7,8 years ago, maybe thing have change.

I also notices there are other road being built while on my way, maybe this is the road you talking about very new and clean, maybe next time i'll give it a try and see how it is.

anyhow i usually leave very early in the morning, the street is quite empty, i hate to speed on the road but somehow it is very tempting, straight road, metal to the pedel especially it is a rental, :o

did you mention it took a like over 2hr.(how much over are we taking about(please). the road im taking is about 2.45-3hr

This road used to be very bad, as they were doing roadworks there for over a year,

well they have now finished it.last sept i think.and its very fast and easy to do.

This road used to be very bad, as they were doing roadworks there for over a year,

well they have now finished it.last sept i think.and its very fast and easy to do.

The part from highway 317 to highway 304 had been finished for over 2 years. I did notice on our trip in May this year that it appeared the section past 317 was open.

Time wise the savings is probably not that great, but it is certainly wider, smoother, and safer then highway 33.

Also on the May trip there was the first police check point I have ever seen on this road. I was well warned by oncoming traffic and slowed down. Was still pulled over, but denied speeding and was let go without paying anything.

TH

they clock me once at 140km earlier down the road, when i hit the point where the cop standing they pull me over instanly, and told me i was going at 140km that was exactly what i did a few minute earlier, but i denied, he wouldn't let me go, wasting my time, i just pay him 100 and im on my way, i have a feeling there was another cop hiding with a speed gun, cause they know exactly how fast i was going.

The bible for do it yourself Poipet visa runs is to be found at Tales of Asia as previously mentioned. The information is all there, step by step along with reports of travellers who have done it recently. It's not at all difficult to do if you follow the instructions.

As for paying for health leaflets and paying for not staying in Cambodia but returning right back to Thailand the advice is don't! I can never believe how many people pay money for this and/or for quicker(?) service. If you want to give away your money give it away to someone who really needs it, not the Cambodian border staff. Just ignore them and you will still get your visa and you will still get stamped in and out. Sorry, but the only people who pay this are those who don't know any better or those who let themselves be intimidated.

If you want your visa for USD20 then you have to get it in Bangkok as 1000 baht is the only price available nowadays at Poipet.

Anyone who has the time should add an extra 3 days and go on to at least visit Angkor Wat, about 3 hours further along the road by taxi. You've paid 1000 baht for the visa so why not use it and take the chance to visit one of the most amazing places in S.E.Asia. :o