The new requirement for insurance coverage of at least $50,000 to enter Thailand

Tony M

15 hours ago, Chris.B said:

What thread is that?

FINALLY: The Insurance We've Been Looking For - COVID-19 Coronavirus - ASEAN NOW - News, Travel & Forum

He actually stated $57. I haven't followed it through because I'm not in a position to travel at the moment. The insurance may be worthless, but if it ticks the right box for the Thailand Pass, that's all I would be worried about.

7 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

FINALLY: The Insurance We've Been Looking For - COVID-19 Coronavirus - ASEAN NOW - News, Travel & Forum

He actually stated $57. I haven't followed it through because I'm not in a position to travel at the moment. The insurance may be worthless, but if it ticks the right box for the Thailand Pass, that's all I would be worried about.

Also worry about whether or not if covers any form of extended hospitalisation or isolation in a hospitel (hospital-hotel) or quarantine hotel (an additional 14 days) if you are asymptomatic and test positive or if you test negative but are forced to isolate in a quarantine because you travelled next to or with someone who has tested positive.

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Also worry about whether or not if covers any form of extended hospitalisation or isolation in a hospitel (hospital-hotel) or quarantine hotel (an additional 14 days) if you are asymptomatic and test positive or if you test negative but are forced to isolate in a quarantine because you travelled next to or with someone who has tested positive.

You miss the point. I accept, and have done for several years, that at my age and with some (mild) pre-existing conditions, I am effectively uninsurable. I have no confidence that an expensive policy that purports to cover the risks you mention would be honoured by the insurance company, so I prefer to spend as little as possible to satisfy the Pass requirement.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2021 at 8:32 AM, British Consular Team said:

Hi @TonyM. Thank you for raising this. We were aware of this new requirement for foreign nationals entering Thailand but you have given us a better picture of the impact. 

We appreciate your concerns, and those of many others, around the additional costs that this legislation incurs, especially on top of a number of other mandatory expenses that also need to be met for visas. 

Last week we raised this issue with the Ministry of Public Health, who confirmed that this was a new requirement that the relevant Thai government agencies had agreed to implement.  We now plan to raise this with the MFA. We will share any updates when we can. 

Consular Section, is there any update on this yet ?  I am still unaware of any definitive information on the "new" insurance requirement for entry to Thailand. If there has been an update, then I aplogise as I must have missed it.  Many of us are reluctant to travel outside of Thailand as we are not sure what is needed to return.

On 11/30/2021 at 4:15 PM, Tony M said:

Consular Section, is there any update on this yet ?  I am still unaware of any definitive information on the "new" insurance requirement for entry to Thailand. If there has been an update, then I aplogise as I must have missed it.  Many of us are reluctant to travel outside of Thailand as we are not sure what is needed to return.

Consular Section, as you can see, the situation is still very unclear :

https://aseannow.com/topic/1241090-required-length-of-insurance/?tab=comments#comment-17012510

• 5 weeks later...

Only almost two months since I asked the original question, and still no definitive answer.  Have you managed to ask the MFA ?  And, if so, what was their response ?  The question is still being asked, because we  don't know the answer. People are still asking :

https://aseannow.com/topic/1245035-phuket-sandbox-insurance-length-returning-to-thailand-for-residents/#comment-17082903

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/27/2022 at 6:44 AM, howerde said:

You can buy here up to age 99, note this is for entry to Thailand ie Thai pass   https://covid19.tgia.org/

Warning

1.This COVID-19 Insurance Policy for Thailand Inbound Travellers during the COVID-19 pandemic is intended for foreigners who wish to apply for COE or Thailand Pass, not for foreigners and Thai nationals who currently live in Thailand.

21 minutes ago, Peter pop said:

Warning

1.This COVID-19 Insurance Policy for Thailand Inbound Travellers during the COVID-19 pandemic is intended for foreigners who wish to apply for COE or Thailand Pass, not for foreigners and Thai nationals who currently live in Thailand.

You said you can not find insurance to re enter Thailand, the link i posted is for people entering/re entering Thailand

Your quote

I am 80 years old and cannot find insurance to re-enter Thailand [Non O with marriage extension].  Am I trapped here ???  Please send the tread.

23 hours ago, howerde said:

You said you can not find insurance to re enter Thailand, the link i posted is for people entering/re entering Thailand

Your quote

I am 80 years old and cannot find insurance to re-enter Thailand [Non O with marriage extension].  Am I trapped here ???  Please send the tread.

As  shown above the link is not valid for those of us who live in Thailand, want to go on holiday AND RE-ENTER.

On 12/31/2021 at 9:23 PM, Tony M said:

And, if so, what was their response ?

I am beginning to suspect that whatever response was received by the Embassy from the MFA consisted of 2 words, the second of which was "off".

• Haha 1

On 2/1/2022 at 3:22 PM, Peter pop said:

I have been here 15 years on marriage extension.  At 80 yrs old I am unable to find insurance to re-enter,  UK derived holiday insurance is only for UK reidents [min 6 months registered with British GP].  I am trapped !

Have you considered telling porkies?

• Haha 1

On 2/1/2022 at 8:22 AM, Peter pop said:

I have been here 15 years on marriage extension.  At 80 yrs old I am unable to find insurance to re-enter,  UK derived holiday insurance is only for UK reidents [min 6 months registered with British GP].  I am trapped !

When you apply for the recommended insurance it assumes you will be in the UK so not currently living in Thailand.  It is worded badly, but as others have assured you it is quite valid for your purpose and you are not trapped in Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2021 at 9:23 PM, Tony M said:

Only almost two months since I asked the original question, and still no definitive answer.  Have you managed to ask the MFA ?  And, if so, what was their response ?  The question is still being asked, because we  don't know the answer. People are still asking :

https://aseannow.com/topic/1245035-phuket-sandbox-insurance-length-returning-to-thailand-for-residents/#comment-17082903

Well, it's only 3 or 4 months since you said you would try to get some kind of answer to this, and we still haven't heard anything from you. What happened ?  It's still an ongoing uncertainty for many of us :

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2022 at 11:16 AM, Tony M said:

Well, it's only 3 or 4 months since you said you would try to get some kind of answer to this, and we still haven't heard anything from you. What happened ?  It's still an ongoing uncertainty for many of us :

Apologies for a delayed response to your concerns on Thailand entry requirements. 

You may have already seen that the amount of insurance cover for all foreign visitors who apply to enter Thailand is now USD 20,000.  

According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, foreigners who are on O-A visa and already have health insurance or social welfare in Thailand that covers all types of medical treatment including Covid-19 of not less than 3 million Baht do not need to buy separate cover to enter Thailand.  

We appreciate this remains a worrying point for many people. We will continue to monitor the situation and raise with relevant authorities where we can.    

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2022 at 8:56 AM, British Consular Team said:

Apologies for a delayed response to your concerns on Thailand entry requirements. 

You may have already seen that the amount of insurance cover for all foreign visitors who apply to enter Thailand is now USD 20,000.  

According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, foreigners who are on O-A visa and already have health insurance or social welfare in Thailand that covers all types of medical treatment including Covid-19 of not less than 3 million Baht do not need to buy separate cover to enter Thailand.  

We appreciate this remains a worrying point for many people. We will continue to monitor the situation and raise with relevant authorities where we can.    

So what is it for expats with an "O" visa reentering Thailand.

• Like 1