Your Vote Best Scotch In Thailand Under 800b

Chad3000

I think I've gone through all the big names. Any hidden gems?

Was ok with Dewers at 699 not 759.

Pipers - ditched that ages ago

4 cask deer stag brand whatever that is. That's a big nope.

Tired of Bells, it's full of nasty grain whiskies. I'm sure it's not same as sold in UK ... don't have a caniption fit.

Tax on alcohol is ridiculous in this country. Beam (bourbon) is 1400b. It used to be US9 on the Thai Cambo border.

Anything 1L for 700b?

Edited by Chad3000

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Blend 285 Signature is my fav currently, about 400 baht or less. Probably better more expensive ones

I used to drink 285 but it gave me a helluva headache.  Looked into it and apparently it's made from imported scotch whiskies and blended in Thailand. 

Do further research and it is supposedly the dregs from barrels and blended with what the Red Bull company call "quality neutral spirits".

I concluded that these so-called quality neutral  spirits is either nail polish remover or ethanol, neither of which is good for the soul. 

On the other hand, I was once desperate for some kerosene to wash some oily car parts but could only find it in 20 ltr drums.  The Blend 285 worked a treat and on a litre for litre basis was cheaper than the kero.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Haha 2

Thanks for all your input. I've already commented on most of what's been stated.

The thing here is I think they mix additional grain whiskies in the scotch.

Thailand I think Dewers benefits from the right amount of water. Too little and it's harsh, too much and it's flat.

I like J&B it's a decent brand in this range but the price is premium. If I recall 780b for 750ml.

Agreed, Benmore (that's it!) is dire.

Thanks for your input. Still searching looks like many of us agree.

Edited by Chad3000

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Depends how much you drink i guess, it doesn't give me a headache, what does is red wine and Singh Reserve, maybe Reserve is the cause from other reports

I found that 285 made me slightly sad along with the headache.  Switched to Sangsom (yeah, supposedly a rum but had a crack at it anyway) and found that made me strangely angry - soon dropped that.  Always enjoyed JD so stuck to that for a while but the sweetness got to me and got sick of it.

So for a long time I've just been drinking JW Red Label.  Hardly a high end dram but it does the trick and is cheap enough.

Almost forgot - a buddy introduced me to Hong Thong.  Um........enough said.