International health insurance in Thailand

timoti

I would add, quite normal to issue these medical certificates at every visit. I often get them without even asking.

I don't know what the hospital was talking about needing US $300 to issue, but it is certainly not this, nor would it be your medical records which by law they have to provide on demand either at no charge or just photocopy fee.

The insurer simply needs to know what condition the visit was for (diagnosis - so that they can verify related to the hospitalization)  and what care was given (in a few words -- e.g: consultation, dressing change, lab test, wound care, PT etc) . It is a good idea to make sure that somewhere  it mentions follow up after hospitalization for X so that the linkage is clear.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot, this is becoming a pain point for me, because I assume this is common like you said in Thailand, but in some countries or maybe the hospital I visited, they told me they never did this. They don't even have a template for this.

I did get one like you said for the surgery that details these, but nothing after.

For the follow up visits, all I get is the bill that details what was done, i.e. consultation, doctor fees, procedures, and meds, but no mention of that it's connected to first inpatient thing.

So I am trying to get them to print something for that kind of connection.

1 hour ago, timoti said:

Thanks a lot, this is becoming a pain point for me, because I assume this is common like you said in Thailand, but in some countries or maybe the hospital I visited, they told me they never did this. They don't even have a template for this.

I did get one like you said for the surgery that details these, but nothing after.

For the follow up visits, all I get is the bill that details what was done, i.e. consultation, doctor fees, procedures, and meds, but no mention of that it's connected to first inpatient thing.

So I am trying to get them to print something for that kind of connection.

Every hospital in Thailand provides this. It is routine, as Thais often need it for their employers/schools to explain absences.

What hospital is this? Maybe something lost in translation? Suggest you show them the one you got after surgery as an example.

Actually that's the thing, it's in Singapore. Here they use the medical certificate term for the same thing as you mentioned but it just says something like:

This person is not fit for work for 3 days that's it. It doesn't say that he come here to do an outpatient procedure that's follow up for an in patient case, etc.

I can see if they could maybe add that info. Not sure if they will do it.

medical certificate.pdf

I see. Can't tell you anything about Singapore but it seems odd they can't provide more than that. Certainly anyone with insurance would need it and some employers might also. Here is an example of a Medical certificate provided by a Thai hospital that was accepted by April (identifying info blocked out) in case that helps.

• Like 1

A Medical Certificate is a normal ask from my US insurance for treatment here.  I suspect the reason is that Thai hospitals do not fill out the diagnosis field on payment receipts.  You normally have to ask nurse or doctor to have doctor provide each time.  It is just a short treatment for/by doctor type statement but as said can explain work absence or such so often needed.  

A Medical Report is a multi page detailed explanation of conditions/treatment and in my experience has been free.  But not normally required.  It has been requested for audit of inpatient treatment along with detailed treatment records however.

Another factor to be aware of is that copies of some things may have a charge that is not charged if obtaining for insurance or treatment reasons.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Sheryl said:

medical certificate.pdf 13.7 MB · 4 downloads

I see. Can't tell you anything about Singapore but it seems odd they can't provide more than that. Certainly anyone with insurance would need it and some employers might also. Here is an example of a Medical certificate provided by a Thai hospital that was accepted by April (identifying info blocked out) in case that helps.

Thanks a lot that helps. I showed it to them. Basically here MC just doesn't include those so I ask them to add that it's a follow up to my surgery.

Also from what I can tell somehow my work insurance doesnt require it, I assume maybe they fill another form for this so that they know.

So in this case they told me it's different due to intl insurances vs local.

Thank you for the excellent feedback on this important subject Cheryl and other members. I haven't bought any policy yet as I have sufficient funds for any emergency, but I am traveling on and off to India in particular for the rest of the year so probably should seriously think about a policy now. I found this link that compares the three April options and could be of interest to some. It looks like I should contact the AA broker based on comments so far though. Is this correct?

https://thaiexpatclub.com/medicalcover/april-essential-extensive-plans/

https://www.aainsure.net/

Cheryl - Where is the best place to go for malaria tablet guidance for India too as an extra question please? I am off to Bumrungrad tomorrow so is it possible to get info somewhere there and then buy the tablets more economically outside somewhere? Thank you.

travel clinics.

there is one at chula near victory monument, very thorough. Probably you need some vax or boosters for india. At the same consultation for vax they will give you full advice on malaria, dr consultation there is only 200b and is very detailed. 

Poorer at the red cross on rama 4, language barrier 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, internationalism said:

travel clinics.

there is one at chula near victory monument, very thorough. Probably you need some vax or boosters for india. At the same consultation for vax they will give you full advice on malaria, dr consultation there is only 200b and is very detailed. 

Poorer at the red cross on rama 4, language barrier 

Thank you internationalism! This looks perfect. Think I need to visit there after my other hospital visit tomorrow.

https://www.thaitravelclinic.com/direction-to-our-clinic-2.html

5 hours ago, Korat88 said:

Thank you for the excellent feedback on this important subject Cheryl and other members. I haven't bought any policy yet as I have sufficient funds for any emergency, but I am traveling on and off to India in particular for the rest of the year so probably should seriously think about a policy now. I found this link that compares the three April options and could be of interest to some. It looks like I should contact the AA broker based on comments so far though. Is this correct?

https://thaiexpatclub.com/medicalcover/april-essential-extensive-plans/

https://www.aainsure.net/

Cheryl - Where is the best place to go for malaria tablet guidance for India too as an extra question please? I am off to Bumrungrad tomorrow so is it possible to get info somewhere there and then buy the tablets more economically outside somewhere? Thank you.

This seems to refer to April Thailand only, I suggest you get April Global issued out of France. A lot of reasons why never the best idea to get a Thai-issued policy.

Yes, contact AA. Tell them specifically you want April Global issued out of France not April Thailand.

As to type of policy most of us go for the Essential Plan (without OPD add on). You can read the options in this attachment April Benefits as of 2021.pdf

Malaria prophylaxis is usually not necessary in India unless you are going to be overnighting in remote jungle. Where exactly in India are you going?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Malaria prophylaxis is usually not necessary in India unless you are going to be overnighting in remote jungle. Where exactly in India are you going?

Thank you Cheryl. I am staying in Mumbai for 1 month. As it is the monsoon season many people have recommended I start taking malaria pills now in advance of the trip.

Will specify April Global issued out of France not April Thailand.

1 hour ago, Boyn said:

It would appear that April Global will only quote people who are 65 or under, what is the best thing for anybody over 65 to do for health insurance? Any companies recommended?

Consult a good broker specializing in expat health insurance. Options aren't many past age 65 but there are some.  Cigna global (not to be confused with Cigna US or Cigna Thailand) is probably the least expensive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Consult a good broker specializing in expat health insurance. Options aren't many past age 65 but there are some.  Cigna global (not to be confused with Cigna US or Cigna Thailand) is probably the least expensive.

Thankyou Sheryl

On 6/19/2022 at 9:11 PM, Sheryl said:

This seems to refer to April Thailand only, I suggest you get April Global issued out of France. A lot of reasons why never the best idea to get a Thai-issued policy.

Yes, contact AA. Tell them specifically you want April Global issued out of France not April Thailand.

As to type of policy most of us go for the Essential Plan (without OPD add on). You can read the options in this attachment April Benefits as of 2021.pdf

That benefits PDF is interesting but it's changed I think. AA sent me 2022 one I can upload if you guys want but right off the bat, I can see their Premium plan is not unlimited but $3M and Premium plan's outpatient consulations benefits without OP is 60 days, not 30 days.

Otherwise looks similar.

Also since you mentioned you have Essential, did you incur any more charges for your surgeries after you are discharged? I was nervous about the 30 days coverage because some surgeries can take months to recover and could require weekly visits to the doctor.

That's why the premium plan looks quiet attractive to me to be safe.

Also I looked into Cigna before even their $20-30K IP plan doesn't have the above mentioned benefits unless you add OP. That's quite bad IMO.

4 minutes ago, timoti said:

... did you incur any more charges for your surgeries after you are discharged? I was nervous about the 30 days coverage because some surgeries can take months to recover and could require weekly visits to the doctor.

That's why the premium plan looks quiet attractive to me to be safe.

Minimal, and low cost - the big ticket stuff (infusions, scans/films) all fell well within the 30 day window. All I had beyond that were simple consultations, which in Thailand are very inexpensive.

I have a feeling you have not yet priced the Premium plan.  The jump in premium just from Essential to Comfort is huge (which is why I did not get it, despite the limit on private room charge for Essential - the difference was simply more than any remotely probable  scenario could justify.)

I am sure you will find that true of Premium.

By the way, the outpatient follow up after hospitalization is also limited to 30 days in Premium. It is only the physical rehab benefit that is longer.

• Like 1

Wow thanks for correcting me. I thought it was 60 days for OPD for IP benefits. It's good that it's the same. I will reassess Premium.

As for the prices I only saw the excel sheet and I can see the price for Comfort for age 83 (max price) is ~6700 vs ~8300 of Premium. That's why I thought it wasn't so crazy jump.

Essential for age 83 is 5800. All of this is zone 1. I frequently visit Singapore that's why I had to include that, which means zone 1.

And when I did a long internal assessment I thought Comfort is better bet because one night in hospital in Singapore can easily cost $300-600 and that's normal 1 bed private, not outrageously luxury room. So in that case I wouldn't want to be dinged for that cost.

On 6/19/2022 at 10:38 PM, Sheryl said:

I think I heard that Pacific Cross will insure people over 65.   The agent will know the current info.

Hi Sheryl (sorry for Cheryl before, I work with a Cheryl so habit!) - I asked for a quote from April France and share the figures below for you and others interest. I am mid-50s and don't have any pre-conditions so am thankfully pretty healthy at present. Seems like the figures for the Essential Plan are much higher than you were suggesting they may be. Still pondering what to do.

Annual Premiums (only Inpatient), Zone 3 (including Thailand and most European countries; for a full overview of your Zone of Cover, I kindly refer you to page 6 of the General Terms and Conditions which you can downloaded)

0 deductible

Basic Plan: 2271.00 USD

Essential Plan: 2622.96 USD (93,050 BHT)

Comfort Plan: 3032.04 USD

500 USD deductible

Basic Plan: 1842.36 USD

Essential Plan: 2124.00 USD (75,349 BHT)

Comfort Plan: 2451.24 USD

1000 USD deductible

Basic Plan: 1735.20 USD

Essential Plan: 1999.20 USD (70,921BHT)

Comfort Plan: 2306.04 USD

2500 USD deductible

Basic Plan: 1628.04 USD

Essential Plan: 1874.52 USD (66,496 BAHT)

Comfort Plan: 2160.84 USD

5000 USD deductible

Basic Plan: 1521.00 USD

Essential Plan: 1749.72 USD (62,070 BHT)

Comfort Plan: 2015.64 USD

I also visited the Hospital for tropical diseases kindly mentioned by internationalism & you were correct. They say malaria pills are not necessary. Had to have a typhoid booster instead! Someone I know also agreed but mentioned "The bigger problem however are dengue and chikunguniya which do not respond that well to allopathic medicine." Something else to check up on now!

Appreciate your help as always.

3 hours ago, Korat88 said:

I also visited the Hospital for tropical diseases kindly mentioned by internationalism & you were correct. They say malaria pills are not necessary. Had to have a typhoid booster instead! Someone I know also agreed but mentioned "The bigger problem however are dengue and chikunguniya which do not respond that well to allopathic medicine." Something else to check up on now!

Appreciate your help as always.

sorry for cutting your post - if you lived in tropics over 9 years or had alredy dengue, there is dengvaxia for some 2-3k per shot, 3 are required every 6 month. Too late for you to get all, but at least one might do 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Korat88 said:

Hi Sheryl (sorry for Cheryl before, I work with a Cheryl so habit!) - I asked for a quote from April France and share the figures below for you and others interest. I am mid-50s and don't have any pre-conditions so am thankfully pretty healthy at present. Seems like the figures for the Essential Plan are much higher than you were suggesting they may be. Still pondering what to do.

Annual Premiums (only Inpatient), Zone 3 (including Thailand and most European countries; for a full overview of your Zone of Cover, I kindly refer you to page 6 of the General Terms and Conditions which you can downloaded)

0 deductible

Basic Plan: 2271.00 USD

Essential Plan: 2622.96 USD (93,050 BHT)

Comfort Plan: 3032.04 USD

500 USD deductible

Basic Plan: 1842.36 USD

Essential Plan: 2124.00 USD (75,349 BHT)

Comfort Plan: 2451.24 USD

1000 USD deductible

Basic Plan: 1735.20 USD

Essential Plan: 1999.20 USD (70,921BHT)

Comfort Plan: 2306.04 USD

2500 USD deductible

Basic Plan: 1628.04 USD

Essential Plan: 1874.52 USD (66,496 BAHT)

Comfort Plan: 2160.84 USD

5000 USD deductible

Basic Plan: 1521.00 USD

Essential Plan: 1749.72 USD (62,070 BHT)

Comfort Plan: 2015.64 USD

As you can see, a $500 deductible reduces your premium by virtually $500 - so a no brainer to take, you will come out ahead every year that you do nto have a claim and break even in years you do have a claim.

By contrast the $1,000 deductible lowers your premium by just $624 each year. You will still come out ahead overall provided you (on average) go 2 years at a stretch without a claim

etc

etc

I don't think you will find better rates for comparable coverage from a reliable international insurer

• Like 1

Btw which hospitals in Thailand would you recommend to get serious procedures done? Basically any kind of surgery or even simpler stuff like sebaceous cyst which I know April won't cover without OP, right?

Reason I ask is, I had a hard time to even find a clinic to remove stitches from a small area. All of them said they can laser it, but there is nothing to laser. It's just to remove stitches and they said they can't do it.

I find it absurd to have to go to a hospital for such a simple thing. This was in Pattaya.

And in other experiences visiting Pattaya Hospital and Pattaya International Hospital, I found them pretty bad. That's why I am wondering which hospitals are the best in Pattaya and also Bangkok.

31 minutes ago, timoti said:

I find it absurd to have to go to a hospital for such a simple thing. This was in Pattaya.

Medical care is done at hospitals in Thailand so not absurd at all.  Normally you are instructed to return to doctor placing stitch's for removal.

50 minutes ago, timoti said:

Btw which hospitals in Thailand would you recommend to get serious procedures done? Basically any kind of surgery or even simpler stuff like sebaceous cyst which I know April won't cover without OP, right?

Reason I ask is, I had a hard time to even find a clinic to remove stitches from a small area. All of them said they can laser it, but there is nothing to laser. It's just to remove stitches and they said they can't do it.

And in other experiences visiting Pattaya Hospital and Pattaya International Hospital, I found them pretty bad. That's why I am wondering which hospitals are the best in Pattaya and also Bangkok.

There is no such thing as "best" hospitals only best doctors.

You need to choose the best doctor for your specific issue.

Clinics in Thailand are located inside hospitals, all hospitals have outpatient clinics.  This actually makes a great deal of sense, and is very cost effective, as the outpatient services have direct access to the hospital lab, imaging, pharmacy etc.

With the notable exception of Chinag Mai, stand alone clinics are rare here and often dodgy.

There is, however, a British GP with a clinic in Bangkok (medconsultasia) and this is an excellent source for simple things.   https://www.medconsultasia.com/#

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

There is no such thing as "best" hospitals only best doctors.

You need to choose the best doctor for your specific issue.

Clinics in Thailand are located inside hospitals, all hospitals have outpatient clinics.  This actually makes a great deal of sense, and is very cost effective, as the outpatient services have direct access to the hospital lab, imaging, pharmacy etc.

With the notable exception of Chinag Mai, stand alone clinics are rare here and often dodgy.

There is, however, a British GP with a clinic in Bangkok (medconsultasia) and this is an excellent source for simple things.   https://www.medconsultasia.com/#

The clinics I visited in pattaya were standalone, maybe that's why they were pretty bad. There were so many of them.

54 minutes ago, timoti said:

The clinics I visited in pattaya were standalone, maybe that's why they were pretty bad. There were so many of them.

Clinics in hospitals are not doctor specific - the clinics are run by the hospital and will be sorted by medical specialties and there will be a number of doctors available - you can chose the doctor you want or be assigned next available or recommended by previous doctor.  Hospital staff run the nursing and administrative functions and the doctors fee will be part of the hospital visit charge.   

• Like 1