International health insurance in Thailand

timoti

1 hour ago, timoti said:

The clinics I visited in pattaya were standalone, maybe that's why they were pretty bad. There were so many of them.

The clinic i go to on Pattaya Tai near crossroads of 3rd road, i think is linked to Banglamung hospital, it's a basic clinic but popular and not fake like many others with no doctors, it might even remove stitches

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The clinic i go to on Pattaya Tai near crossroads of 3rd road, i think is linked to Banglamung hospital, it's a basic clinic but popular and not fake like many others with no doctors, it might even remove stitches

Do you know the name by any chance? The one I went was near Friendship market so it's near 3rd road, not sure if it's the same. There is one at the intersection there, and one another that's next to it.

The ones I went they said the doctor will come by 5pm.

@Sheryl Does April also pay for all the medicines prescribed due to IP procedure whether day patient plus all the medicines prescribed during follow up visits due to the same treatment within 1 month? I assume their 30 day coverage does this but just wanted to check in case I should ask the doctor to prescribe more meds before the 30 day cut off.

49 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Try BUPA they provide worldwide coverage

I was just looking at their benefits last week and it has a lot of conditions that might make some claims hard to claim. But even beyond that I read that they also don't have any pre/post operation coverage unless you buy their outpatient module.

Edited by timoti

12 minutes ago, timoti said:

Do you know the name by any chance? The one I went was near Friendship market so it's near 3rd road, not sure if it's the same. There is one at the intersection there, and one another that's next to it.

The ones I went they said the doctor will come by 5pm.

As you say there are 2 there, i prefer the one further away from 3rd road, it's popular with Thais, other one not really

Screenshot_2022-06-23-17-13-57-760_com.google.android.apps.photos~2.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, timoti said:

Do you know 

@Sheryl Does April also pay for all the medicines prescribed due to IP procedure whether day patient plus all the medicines prescribed during follow up visits due to the same treatment within 1 month? I assume their 30 day coverage does this but just wanted to check in case I should ask the doctor to prescribe more meds before the 30 day cut off

My only day surgery did not require any medications on discharge but I assume that if it had, it would have been covered.

During the 30 day follow up period yes, meds are covered (if provided by the hospital...not if you buy them yourself at an outside pharmacy).

I don't follow the last part. Once the 30 days have past after hospitalization, outpatient treatment (including meds) ate no longer covered.

Most medications in Thailand can be bought over the counter at a pharmacy and most ate inexpensive.

• Like 1

@Sheryl Thanks a lot that was helpful.

Do you also know if April pays if you go to emergency and you get hospitalized to monitor you or for your safety but not perform any surgery? For example maybe you felt chest pain and then they did some tests, couldn't find anything yet, but they said you need to be admitted to hospital for a day or 2 to be monitored and run diagnostics?

I know some insurance like Bupa doesn't pay for this unless you add OP benefits.

If you are admitted then they will pay, yes.  So would BUPA. I don't know of any hospital that would not pay if hospitalized.  But they will all require pre-authorization for the hospitalization (or in an emergency, authorization as soon as possible i.e. they need to be notified at once).

There is no expectation that hospitalizations will entail surgery, most do not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

If you are admitted then they will pay, yes.  So would BUPA. I don't know of any hospital that would not pay if hospitalized.  But they will all require pre-authorization for the hospitalization (or in an emergency, authorization as soon as possible i.e. they need to be notified at once).

There is no expectation that hospitalizations will entail surgery, most do not.

Thanks a lot for clearing that up. I was nervous it wouldn't be covered. I wish they had online app contacts though. I think some insurances allows you to contact them via webchat. That would be far easier in emergency instead of phone where sometimes calling internationally is just not possible.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, timoti said:

@Sheryl Do you also know how long you wait to get your claims reimbursed? They told me 1 month minimum. I am surprised they take that long for small claims. My old work insurance which is very bad usually took like a week.

I don't recall exactly but it was at least a few weeks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2022 at 8:11 PM, Sheryl said:

This seems to refer to April Thailand only, I suggest you get April Global issued out of France. A lot of reasons why never the best idea to get a Thai-issued policy.

Yes, contact AA. Tell them specifically you want April Global issued out of France not April Thailand.

As to type of policy most of us go for the Essential Plan (without OPD add on). You can read the options in this attachment April Benefits as of 2021.pdf

Malaria prophylaxis is usually not necessary in India unless you are going to be overnighting in remote jungle. Where exactly in India are you going?

When April entered the market, about 15 years ago,  they offered several plans like Ambassade or a plan only for South East Asia. Premiums skyrocketed, up to 800,000 per year, so clearly unsustainable, and they don't sell these plans anymore. 

Is there any reason to believe they won't pull this off again? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2022 at 12:50 PM, Sheryl said:

I don't recall exactly but it was at least a few weeks.

Btw do you know how long it takes after they mark the claim as "reimbursed" for the money to hit your bank account?

I have a US bank account and they said roughly 10 days ago that they sent the money but still waiting. Because it's the first time I hope there is no issue with the details.

They told me they sent it from France but not sure what type of transfer it is. I gave them my name, bank SWIFT and account number. Hope that's enough.

6 hours ago, timoti said:

Btw do you know how long it takes after they mark the claim as "reimbursed" for the money to hit your bank account?

I have a US bank account and they said roughly 10 days ago that they sent the money but still waiting. Because it's the first time I hope there is no issue with the details.

They told me they sent it from France but not sure what type of transfer it is. I gave them my name, bank SWIFT and account number. Hope that's enough.

If the money was  sent (as opposed to claim approved... actually already transferred out by their finance people,) then should not take more than a couple of working days. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

If the money was  sent (as opposed to claim approved... actually already transferred out by their finance people,) then should not take more than a couple of working days. 

AA told me money was sent but they said April was slammed. So i hope they dont run me around circles because they said they will contact April about this.