International health insurance in Thailand

timoti

On 11/4/2021 at 11:04 PM, timoti said:

So can anyone please tell me if any of you have similar mark ups on your premiums? If so, how much?

I am with David Shield and they cover my pre-existing condition heart condition (2008).

The mark up on my policy is around $77USD per month which is about 20% and I am in my 60's. It's up to me to cover it as an option and naturally I do.

I go through AA Insurance Brokers, you should give them a call or email them to shop around for you, no charge, no pressure and they are on the ball.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I am with David Shield and they cover my pre-existing condition heart condition (2008).

The mark up on my policy is around $77USD per month which is about 20% and I am in my 60's. It's up to me to cover it as an option and naturally I do.

I go through AA Insurance Brokers, you should give them a call or email them to shop around for you, no charge, no pressure and they are on the ball.

I  never had to buy insurance as I was always covered by my trade union provided insurance,that covered me all over the world, But in January That no longer would be the case as this insurance is only provided until I qualify for Medicare, 

So I don't understand the terms you are all use.

What is the Mark Up?

Is it an additional cost above the premium?  iand is that a per months thing. 

So in this case your monthly premium would be $385 and to cover the additional pre-existing condition you would have to pay   an additional $77 for a total of $435 per month?

Edited by sirineou

19 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I  never had to buy insurance as I was always covered by my trade union provided insurance,that covered me all over the world, But in January That no longer would be the case as this insurance is only provided until I qualify for Medicare, 

So I don't understand the terms you are all use.

What is the Mark Up?

Is it an additional cost above the premium?  iand is that a per months thing. 

So in this case your monthly premium would be $385 and to cover the additional pre-existing condition you would have to pay   an additional $77 for a total of $435 per month?

That sounds about right, US $'s that is.

You have the policy @ say $385 USD & the additional pre-existing coverage which is optional @ say $77 USD if you choose to take it, therefore the total would be say $5,220 USD per annum. If you chose not to take the additional coverage to cover your pre-existing condition, your pre-existing condition would be excluded from the policy and in the event of your pre-existing condition deciding to come back and haunt you, that cost for everything is all yours, no coverage by the insurer.

• Thanks 1

I recently changed to WRLIfe as they now have a Bangkok office.  I can't speak for their pre-existing conditions policy, although it looked fine to me (I had kidney stones 25 years ago) but one benefit they offer is that Premiums are fixed (forever) if you don't make a claim.

https://www.wrlife.net/

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I strongly advise against this and any other policies that raise premiums after you have a claim. Defeats the very purpose of insurance IMO.

Their documents show different premiums by age. Are you sure there are never any age related increases? Hard to believe. I think they do, and that the "No claim? No increase!" does nto include age-related increases. Rather just means that they will nto levy an additional (non age related) increase due tt claims if there were no claims.

Their chart of premiums by age insidicates the same rate of increase as you age as other insurers.  For example,  the 800K plan premium is 29,257 baht a year at age 30, 59 469 bazht at age 55,  147,364 baht at age 80 etc.

No insufrer offers the same premoium at all ages, it is impossible to do without such large overcharge for younger peopkle that no younger people would enroll.

I also note that WRL policy caps are way, way too low. A single hospitalization, even in a government hospital, can reach 1 million baht yet maxim cover is 800K per year.

Their benefits PDF is also not linked correctly, shows 404 page. So pretty bad website where the most important document is missing.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 3:36 PM, Sheryl said:

There is no possible way their Essential Plan could cost that much, that is more than I am paying and I am in my late 60's. Rate for ages 35 - 39 years was under US$1k in 2018, may have gone up but not by a whole lot.

Must be some more elaborate plan and with special options included, and also must be worldwide coverage including US, to reach that high.

Try here. Do NOT select any of the add on options.

https://lp.april-international.com/th/international-health-insurance/?bodytxt=solution-designed-for-expats-and-Thai-citizens&conjoin=an&header=for-Individuals-and-Families&keyword=International-Health-Insurance&source=Website&destination=TH&pays

Select Essential Plan not Comfort etc. And if it then gives you an option for coverage area select Zone 3.

Outpatient cover is almost never worth having in Thailand, as outpatient care is quite afffordable and it at least doubles your premium.,  The Essential Plan will cover high cost outpatient things like cancer care and dialysis, and also covere day surgeries.

Dental cover also not worth having.

Should copme out around $1K and you may be able to further lower it by taking a deductible.

I contacted them using the link above,  they then emailed the thai information, when i asked about the Essential Plan from April France they lost interest as they are trying to sell the thai policies, they said to email these [email protected]

Probably better just to see a broker such as AA although I'm not a fan of their other insurance staff

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I contacted them using the link behave then they start emailing the thai information, when i asked about the Essential Plan from April France they lost interest as they are trying to sell the thai policies, they said to email these [email protected]

Probably better just to see a broker such as AA although I'm not a fan of their other insurance staff

That's strange. Because when that person auto replied my quote request it's the exact same name as the person I was dealing with for the SG version. This is the person who replied both:

https://th.linkedin.com/in/anita-varga-201470151

https://rocketreach.co/anita-varga-email_340466731

So not sure what's going on. It seems strange it says she is in TH? But then why would she try to sell SG version also? It's very confusing.

I even see in the email, it says "MyHealth Thailand".

Edited by timoti

24 minutes ago, timoti said:

That's strange. Because when that person auto replied my quote request it's the exact same name as the person I was dealing with for the SG version. This is the person who replied both:

https://th.linkedin.com/in/anita-varga-201470151

https://rocketreach.co/anita-varga-email_340466731

So not sure what's going on. It seems strange it says she is in TH? But then why would she try to sell SG version also? It's very confusing.

I even see in the email, it says "MyHealth Thailand".

Yes Anita messaged me, is that even her real name, her address was Thailand, anyway better to approach a broker

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Yes Anita messaged me, is that even her real name, anyway better to approach a broker

Could be fake, also before they did assure me that the SG version is THE international version. Because I specifically asked what happens when I move, etc.

So not sure what happens when you move with the brokers, because they also only care about the residents?

Just now, timoti said:

Could be fake, also before they did assure me that the SG version is THE international version. Because I specifically asked what happens when I move, etc.

So not sure what happens when you move with the brokers, because they also only care about the residents?

Kinda international I guess, when you eventually see the documents it should be clear what country and regs

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Kinda international I guess, when you eventually see the documents it should be clear what country and regs

If I am not wrong, the localized plans you cant take them with you. So if you move to Japan, I dont think you can keep MyHealth Thailand. It's only intl for shorter travels out of TH I think.

But the actual intl version i.e. April Global should be portable easily and premiums adjusted next time for the new country of residence.

That's what I know.

1 hour ago, timoti said:

If I am not wrong, the localized plans you cant take them with you. So if you move to Japan, I dont think you can keep MyHealth Thailand. It's only intl for shorter travels out of TH I think.

But the actual intl version i.e. April Global should be portable easily and premiums adjusted next time for the new country of residence.

That's what I know.

Correct.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I strongly advise against this and any other policies that raise premiums after you have a claim. Defeats the very purpose of insurance IMO.

Their documents show different premiums by age. Are you sure there are never any age related increases? Hard to believe. I think they do, and that the "No claim? No increase!" does not include age-related increases. Rather just means that they will nto levy an additional (non age related) increase due to claims if there were no claims.

Their chart of premiums by age indicates the same rate of increase as you age as other insurers.  For example,  the 800K plan premium is 29,257 baht a year at age 30, 59 469 baht at age 55,  147,364 baht at age 80 etc.

No insurer offers the same premium at all ages, it is impossible to do without such large overcharge for younger people that no younger people would enroll.

I also note that WRL policy caps are way, way too low. A single hospitalization, even in a government hospital, can reach 1 million baht yet maxim cover is 800K per year.

My annual cover on their Serenity Plan with WRLIfe is $400,000 (about 13m baht). 

The premium you pay when you join is based on age.  If you don't claim, the premium does not increase with age. Once you do claim, the premium is readjusted to reflect your age at the time of the claim.  I'm 61 and paying $1,600 per annum (no deductible).

15 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

My annual cover on their Serenity Plan with WRLIfe is $400,000 (about 13m baht). 

The premium you pay when you join is based on age.  If you don't claim, the premium does not increase with age. Once you do claim, the premium is readjusted to reflect your age at the time of the claim.  I'm 61 and paying $1,600 per annum (no deductible).

they have low premiums.

but their online presence is shambolic.

as an example. The last entry is from 6 years ago. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvpXbdgvfAo49IkrmjLIBXQ

their channel has 2 subscribers.

Same with with their application on googleplay.

their pinterest has 1 subscrriber

https://www.pinterest.fr/Insurancewrlife/

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I recently changed to WRLIfe as they now have a Bangkok office.  I can't speak for their pre-existing conditions policy, although it looked fine to me (I had kidney stones 25 years ago) but one benefit they offer is that Premiums are fixed (forever) if you don't make a claim.

According to their policy they are an insurance broker. So from which company is your policy?

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

they have low premiums.

but their online presence is shambolic.

as an example. The last entry is from 6 years ago. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvpXbdgvfAo49IkrmjLIBXQ

their channel has 2 subscribers.

Same with with their application on googleplay.

their pinterest has 1 subscrriber

https://www.pinterest.fr/Insurancewrlife/

All the spelling mistakes in their documents also make it look kinda strange.

Edited by jackdd

I have received replies from my agent:

"Mister Prakan Team

13:09 (1 minute ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif

Hello K, 
We can't say as we don't know much about them as well and we dont have a lot of information about them. It seems like they are new. 
Thank you very much

Kind regards,
Kay
cleardot.gifOn Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 11:58 AM wrote:

Key
would you consider them trustworthy?
"In Thailand, policyholders benefit from third-party payment guaranteed by AIS, 
a local platform managed by the Thonburi medical group, reachable 24/7 by telephone on 02 719 7832-4."

thanx

On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 at 10:27, Mister Prakan Team <[email protected]> wrote:
Hello Sir, 
It seems that they are an off shore company - that are not licensed by the Office of Insurance commission in Thailand. 
Thank you very much

Kind regards, 
Kay

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 11:12 AM  wrote:
Kay
what do you think about this insurer?
they claim to have bangkok office.
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, jackdd said:

According to their policy they are an insurance broker. So from which company is your policy?

Good question, but does this matter?   All the policy paperwork I have is just from WRLife.  Should I request more information?  I'm happy with my Premium and cover; are you suggesting that I could have a problem claiming?  They're a UK based company, although I'm not sure what difference that makes. My broker in Bangkok recommended them.  

so far only 3 forum members got this broker.

One is claiming that his operation was reimbursed. But that comes from a member with low post count.

Another member (again, with low post count and a troll) just got his policy from them and made a thread (now locked down) on covid forum. 

You are a member which can be trusted, but you haven't claim yet anything yet.

It's very surprising that my brokers (one I spoko on the phone, the other I have emailed), have never heard about them before.

which is your broker who recommended this company?

My broker says they are offshore company. They have office in London, as well in bangkok and some other cities around the world - but that might be just postal addresses where their local companies are registered, just a private flat or a business centre. At their London address there are registered 352 other companies, and it's just a small building one story building, not skyscraper.

I am reluctant to even call their thai office or email them. Too risky

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

But that they are very new, and seem to have an unfeasible business model, is.

Very new and claiming to have more than 30 years in the industry ... but virtually no information about them to be found. Hmmm

They have been doing health insurance only a few years, certainly not long enough to have people who join at a young age reach older ages.

According to this UK government site, they incorporated in 2015.  https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/OC401682

They do nto appear on list of approved insurance companies issued by the UK regulatory authority for the insurance sector

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/prudential-regulation/authorisations/which-firms-does-the-pra-regulate

Any actuary can tell you that it is completely impossible to provide health insurance at the same premium as that of the age at which the member joins, unless all premiums even at younger ages are considerably higher than normal (in which case no one would join).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

They have been doing health insurance only a few years, certainly not long enough to have people who join at a young age reach older ages.

According to this UK government site, they incorporated in 2015.  https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/OC401682

They do nto appear on list of approved insurance companies issued by the UK regulatory authority for the insurance sector

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/prudential-regulation/authorisations/which-firms-does-the-pra-regulate

Any actuary can tell you that it is completely impossible to provide health insurance at the same premium as that of the age at which the member joins, unless all premiums even at younger ages are considerably higher than normal (in which case no one would join).

This thread has been very useful, and has led me to raise a few questions with my broker who recommended I switch to WRLife.  I've already taken out their Serenity Plan for international cover ($400,000 cover, inpatient only) and their speedy responses to my questions at the time of signing up was impressive,

However, as has been said, the test will be if, or when, I have to make a claim.

Edited by brewsterbudgen

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

how it is, that when looking for their contact phone number on google, there are no search results, bar their own page?

that's even worse than with wrlife.

maybe they are just front for wrlife?

do they have selection of different insurers when they quote premiums?

check "+66 85 821 9646"

On 11/8/2021 at 1:09 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

er, that’s not a benefit mate, it’s something though…….wouldn’t touch any such company on principle….