Questions about 60 days tourist visa application

So, first of all...

I'm a Canadian citizen and I"m currently in Vancouver, so I will apply for the tourist visa from here.

Disclaimer/rant:

I only plan to go back to reunite with my girlfriend/fiancee and live there with her since I work online. I would rather shoot myself than go to Thailand for actual tourism and based on the madness the thai government is currently in the grip of I strongly recommend that anybody without specific reasons to go to Thailand (Work/family/girlfriends/whatever) choose another destination for a vacation.

At the moment, I need to get a 60 day visa, something that pre-covid was extremely simple (walked into the consulate, filled in a form, paid, gave them my passport, done) but has now become extremely complex. I mean, it's not enough that to get there I will also need a thai pass (the new COE) and all the BS that goes with that... the actual visa process has become a lot more complicated and requires many more documents than it did in the past.

Four sections and an endless list of documents, some of which don't actually make any sense.

Thailand has literally become a synonym for "insanity". They keep saying they need tourists to go back and yet they are doing their best to discourage anybody with a brain from going there. If I wasn't in love with my GF and planning to marry her I'd be seriously tempted to dump her and never go back to this lunatics-run country ever again.

Rant over

So I started filling the online application and I have various issues. I will go to the consulate first thing Monday morning to see what they say, but in the meantime I was wondering if any of you could help me figure some things out

The questions:

On Page 3) - they request proof of accommodation... what does that even mean? Since when do tourists book an entire 60 days stay before they live? Or is it just for the first day? But I will have to do a test-and-go... is it enough to indicate the hotel where we will spend the first night? (I could say I stay with a friend but then I would have to get his full address and a letter of invitation, more madness)

Page 4 (Supporting Documents)- Section 7

Confirmation of legal residence in a country in which you are applying for the visa. (In case that you are not a national of the country in which you are applying for the visa.)

So, this is a mandatory field and if it's empty you can't progress with the application....

but <deleted>....

I'm a Canadian citizen and I'm applying from Canada, as already clearly indicated in other sections of this massive application (getting divorced in Canada, years ago, took a fraction of the time filling in this <deleted> joke of an application is taking)..

<deleted> am I supposed to put in here? An extra copy of my passport? What is this?

Page 4 (Supporting Documents)- Section 8

Applicant is required to upload his/her passport pages which contain all travel records for the past 12 months (1 year) since the last international trip.

- I think I figured this one out (I didn't go anywhere since my last trip to Thailand before Covid). I guess I should just show copies of my latest trips/visas and the following pages. I guess it's to show I haven't been to any high risk country. If you understand it differently let me know.

Page 4 (Supporting Documents)- Section 9

Applicant must apply for e-Visa via specific Embassy/Consulate conforming with his/her consular jurisdiction and residency. Applicant is required to upload document that can verify his/her current residency.

I'm supposed to prove I'm a resident of Vancouver now? How? A scan of my driver's license? (I would also ask "why?" but it would be pointless when it comes to Thailand)

Please upload your picture holding the photo and information page of the passport.

So, I mean, seriously? They want us to take a picture of ourselves holding our passport? Am I misreading it?

Conclusion

Well, guys, any help will be appreciated, but I will go and bust their balls in person on Monday.

Alternatively, do you think it would be possible for me to just get a 30 days stamp on arrival (obviously I'd still need a Thailand pass...)

and then maybe get married asap and apply for a non-immigrant visa while there? Is that doable?

once again, any input will be appreciated...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Niteowl45 said:

Alternatively, do you think it would be possible for me to just get a 30 days stamp on arrival (obviously I'd still need a Thailand pass...)

and then maybe get married asap and apply for a non-immigrant visa while there? Is that doable?

It's possible but time is the issue.

Your 30 day visa exempt along with 30 day extension would be tight.

Most likely you don't have a Thai bank account however an agent could assist with that. To obtain the non O in Thailand you would need the 400k in Thai bank.

Being from Canada you are able to obtain embassy letter to make income method possible.

Personally thinking that most of your 'issues' with the setv can be sorted. That being the case it's probably best to obtain the tourist visa. 

If marriage goes ahead you can obtain the non O with a tourist visa entry or visa exempt entry.

Also keep eye on covid extension situation. Due to end Nov 27 however many think that they will be continued. Would bring visa exempt entry back into consideration.

• Like 1

You could enter visa exempt to get a 30 day entry that can be extended for 30 days. That would allow you total stay of 60 day that should be enough time to register your marriage.

After getting married you could then apply for a 60 day extension to visit your new wife. That would then you give your enough time to a apply for a not-o visa at immigration and then a one year extension based upon marriage. To apply for the non-o visa you will need 400k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 40k baht income (affidavit from your embassy).

Info on getting married is here on the Canadian embassy website.

https://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/thailand-thailande/consular_services_consulaires/marriage_thailand-marier_thailande.aspx?lang=eng

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could enter visa exempt to get a 30 day entry that can be extended for 30 days. That would allow you total stay of 60 day that should be enough time to register your marriage.

After getting married you could then apply for a 60 day extension to visit your new wife. That would then you give your enough time to a apply for a not-o visa at immigration and then a one year extension based upon marriage. To apply for the non-o visa you will need 400k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 40k baht income (affidavit from your embassy).

Info on getting married is here on the Canadian embassy website.

https://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/thailand-thailande/consular_services_consulaires/marriage_thailand-marier_thailande.aspx?lang=eng

hey man, thanks for the tip.

I will look it up, but do you happen to know what kind of documents I should bring from Canada? Like, maybe a letter from my employer?

Anyways, yeah, just thought you might know. I'll look it up anyways.

1 hour ago, Niteowl45 said:

Please upload your picture holding the photo and information page of the passport.

So, I mean, seriously? They want us to take a picture of ourselves holding our passport? Am I misreading it?

I think they want you holding your 2” extra photo taken within 6 months, along with your information page from your passport. Then they can compare if it’s really you and you took the new photo within 6 months. ????

1 hour ago, Niteowl45 said:

Page 4 (Supporting Documents)- Section 7

Confirmation of legal residence in a country in which you are applying for the visa. (In case that you are not a national of the country in which you are applying for the visa.)

Let me know what you find out on this. I had the same experience as you, totally flustered after trying and gave up. 

• Like 1

I think you are trying to apply for the wrong visa.  You don't need most of those things as far as I can tell.  I think that is only for the special tourist visa (STV), not the regular 60 day tourist visa. 

Here are the instructions on the Vancouver consulate website. 

http://www.thaiconsulatevancouver.ca/consulate/documents/visa/tourist-visa.pdf

It's a lot easier for me because I don't have to mail my passport anymore.  You also don't need to get passport photos anymore.  I just took a picture standing in front of a white background with my smartphone at arms length and then cropped it with MS paint.  They even have a sample showing how your photos should look.  So the e-visa seems like a big improvement to me.

If you don't have a scanner you can just take a picture of your passport with your smartphone and then crop it.

Edited by shdmn

15 hours ago, shdmn said:

I think you are trying to apply for the wrong visa.  You don't need most of those things as far as I can tell.  I think that is only for the special tourist visa (STV), not the regular 60 day tourist visa. 

Here are the instructions on the Vancouver consulate website. 

http://www.thaiconsulatevancouver.ca/consulate/documents/visa/tourist-visa.pdf

It's a lot easier for me because I don't have to mail my passport anymore.  You also don't need to get passport photos anymore.  I just took a picture standing in front of a white background with my smartphone at arms length and then cropped it with MS paint.  They even have a sample showing how your photos should look.  So the e-visa seems like a big improvement to me.

If you don't have a scanner you can just take a picture of your passport with your smartphone and then crop it.

well, yes, it looks really easy on that page you sent me, but when I fill in the e-visa application I get asked for all those documents  i indicated.... and no, I'm not applying for the wrong visa. I clearly indicated I just want a tourist visa

The whole thing is, in reality and regardless of the fairy tales on that page, unbelievably harder right now.

I can think of two possible eplanations

1- |Despite claims to the contrary they really don't want any visitors to go to Thailand right now

2- They hired a bunch of idiots to set up the evisa application, maybe after a few bribes, and those idiots just made it harder to make it look like they actually deserve all that money.

15 hours ago, Wydahoan said:

I think they want you holding your 2” extra photo taken within 6 months, along with your information page from your passport. Then they can compare if it’s really you and you took the new photo within 6 months. ????

Let me know what you find out on this. I had the same experience as you, totally flustered after trying and gave up. 

Yeah, this requirement is insanity...

It basically makes the whole thing impossible to complete.

Thai stupidity is legendary, but they really set new records of complete and total idiocy here

ON Monday morning I'll go bust their balls in person and see what hey say about this

5 hours ago, Niteowl45 said:

well, yes, it looks really easy on that page you sent me, but when I fill in the e-visa application I get asked for all those documents  i indicated.... and no, I'm not applying for the wrong visa. I clearly indicated I just want a tourist visa

The whole thing is, in reality and regardless of the fairy tales on that page, unbelievably harder right now.

I can think of two possible eplanations

1- |Despite claims to the contrary they really don't want any visitors to go to Thailand right now

2- They hired a bunch of idiots to set up the evisa application, maybe after a few bribes, and those idiots just made it harder to make it look like they actually deserve all that money.

On step 1 are you sure you selected "Tourist Visa(TR) single entry", not multiple entry?   I finished step 2 and just need to book a flight so I haven't done step 3 yet.  So I have done the part where I uploaded my passport and photos.  It never asked me to hold my passport in the photo or anything like that.  Sounds to me like it's asking questions for the wrong visa so you either selected the wrong visa type on step 1 or you can just ignore those questions that don't apply to your visa, or the website is messed up asking the wrong questions because you definitely don't need to provide all that stuff.

Edited by shdmn

4 hours ago, shdmn said:

On step 1 are you sure you selected "Tourist Visa(TR) single entry", not multiple entry?   I finished step 2 and just need to book a flight so I haven't done step 3 yet.  So I have done the part where I uploaded my passport and photos.  It never asked me to hold my passport in the photo or anything like that.  Sounds to me like it's asking questions for the wrong visa so you either selected the wrong visa type on step 1 or you can just ignore those questions that don't apply to your visa, or the website is messed up asking the wrong questions because you definitely don't need to provide all that stuff.

It won’t ask you for the other photo until near the end. Like to hear how it works out for you. 

8 hours ago, Wydahoan said:

Here’s what I chose, using Chrome. 

03CEB6EA-3831-4B56-8EF3-3E5006869BAB.png

I guess I am about to go through the same thing.  I would try ignore all the extra questions if the form lets you or just put in placeholder info if it does not.  The only new requirement I see in the Vancouver consulates instructions, that I don't remember having to do before, is the bank statement.  This completed form probably just ends up being emailed to them because it asks you what your consulate is, so they are probably the ones that decide the approval.

Please let us know what they say on Monday.

Edited by shdmn

Here is how someone else said they jumped through the hoops and got approved.  They are not in Canada but I think we all more or less see the same questions.

1. Passport data page

2. Best effort at a passport photo from my mobile

3. Downloaded the declaration; signed it; photographed it; uploaded it

4. Flight conformation email screenshotted and turned into a jpg format

5. As #4 but the AQ hotel confirmation from Test and Go hotel

6. Screen shot of my online banking showing my full name and current account balance.

7. Passport data page

8. I wrote in Windows Notepad "I do not have an invitation. I am a tourist travelling alone." Then screen shotted this and turned it into a jpg file using Windows Paint.

9. As #8 but explaining I have not travelled outside of my Country during the previous 14 months.

10. Passport data page.

11. Just a simple photo of me holding my passport.

If there is still a question about supplying proof you are permanent resident in the country you are applying from, someone else said they attached an image of their passport and wrote underneath, I certify I am a permanent resident of [insert your country] and signed it and then attached that as a jpg.

The above info is from less than a month ago so should be fairly current.  Some of the questions may have changed a bit or maybe more added but the basic idea seems to be to just put in placeholder info where it's not required for your visa.  My guess is they haven't done the work yet splitting up the website into different questions for different visas so they just ask all of them.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, shdmn said:

Yeah, I'm sure I selected a single entry tourist visa.

Up to step 2 it looks as easy as that page mentioned, but once you get to step 4 all the weird stuff appears, as I posted above. Another poster on this forum also confirmed having the same issues (and giving up as a result)

It's all super weird, Kafkaesque maybe

1. Passport data page

6. Screen shot of my online banking showing my full name and current account balance.

7. Passport data page

8. I wrote in Windows Notepad "I do not have an invitation. I am a tourist travelling alone." Then screen shotted this and turned it into a jpg file using Windows Paint.

9. As #8 but explaining I have not travelled outside of my Country during the previous 14 months.

10. Passport data page.

All this sounds promising. I guess I'll try to do all this then (but I"m also going to go to the consulate to ask them what is going on)

2 hours ago, mitebbots said:

I am in the same boat, not sure how different in the US. 

Do you think a one-way flight will work? I am not sure of my departure date, may try for 30 day extension. 

Regarding the flight, usually to issue a visa they want to see a return flight. But who knows, with Thailand everything is possible.

55 minutes ago, Niteowl45 said:

1. Passport data page

7. Passport data page

10. Passport data page.

All this sounds promising. I guess I'll try to do all this then (but I"m also going to go to the consulate to ask them what is going on)

By the way, compared to this list point 8 seems to have changed

8. Applicant is required to upload his/her passport pages which contain all travel records for the past 12 months (1 year) since the last international trip.

also 9 has changed to proof of residency - not sure what to use here ...

passport again? Driver's license?

I'll ask them at the consulate tomorrow

59 minutes ago, Niteowl45 said:

8. Applicant is required to upload his/her passport pages which contain all travel records for the past 12 months (1 year) since the last international trip.

I explained #9 below the list.  Someone said they just took another scan of their passport and wrote underneath, I hereby certify I am a full time resident of [insert country] and then signed it.  I think including a scan/photo of your drivers license would be even better. 

I think that as long as you provide what the consulate instructions say and notes saying "I am going as a tourist so I don't have a Thai sponsor", and other common sense notes like that for the rest of it you will be ok.

I have not been anywhere in the last 12 months so I would probably just include a note saying that and maybe a scan/photo of the most recent entry/exit stamp in my passport.

Edited by shdmn

4 hours ago, Niteowl45 said:

Regarding the flight, usually to issue a visa they want to see a return flight. But who knows, with Thailand everything is possible.

Thanks, hoping to hear something back on this before applying. 

good luck on your visa, please let us know. 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 2:22 PM, Niteowl45 said:

So what happened? Did you go to the consulate?  Some of us here are waiting for more info from you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shdmn said:

So what happened? Did you go to the consulate?  Some of us here are waiting for more info from you.

Hey man,

so yes, I went to the consulate.

The guy I talked to was basically saying that since they do not actually go online and apply for visa themselves they don't know a lot about it.

Nevertheless, I asked him a few questions and he said that:

- for traveling accommodation it's enough to have a confirmation of the rest and go for the first night (but like somebody said it might be a good idea to add a note that states we will travel to various destinations

-Regarding residency, they said a photocopy of my driver's license should suffice

the guy also mentioned that for the thai pass I will need a provincial vaccination certificate (easy to obtain)

the whole thing is still a bit of a nightmare but I think I have everything I need to apply for the visa. I will do that today and post about what happens (or more information about each step)

I also postponed my flight so I have more time to get everything ready.

Wish me luck

On 11/7/2021 at 3:08 PM, shdmn said:

I have not been anywhere in the last 12 months so I would probably just include a note saying that and maybe a scan/photo of the most recent entry/exit stamp in my passport.

I'll try to use scans of the pages of my passport, starting from my last visa for Thailand and with the following pages to show that was my last trip. Maybe I'll also upload a note like the one you described but the passport pages should be good (that's what they request)

Thanks for the info.  I think I pretty much know how to do the e-visa now.  I still haven't bought my ticket yet.  I am debating whether to go in Dec or wait till next year when things are a bit more streamlined.  They are talking about adding the ability to use PDF files on the Thai Pass (and presumably e-visa) websites but who knows when that will happen.

The BC vaccination certificate with QR code can be obtained online from the BC health gateway.  You can access all your heath records through there, not just the vax cert.  There is also an app for your phone to access it that way. 

Edited by shdmn

6 hours ago, shdmn said:

Thanks for the info.  I think I pretty much know how to do the e-visa now.  I still haven't bought my ticket yet.  I am debating whether to go in Dec or wait till next year when things are a bit more streamlined.  They are talking about adding the ability to use PDF files on the Thai Pass (and presumably e-visa) websites but who knows when that will happen.

The BC vaccination certificate with QR code can be obtained online from the BC health gateway.  You can access all your heath records through there, not just the vax cert.  There is also an app for your phone to access it that way. 

regarding the vax yeah I got the certification today

actually I managed to put everything together, and uploaded most files I needed to the application, but now I'm waiting for a reply from the rest-and-go hotel. Without a booking confirmation I can't apply for the visa (and without the visa I can't apply for the thai pass)

Furthermore, I found out that the rest-and-go hotels require various documents just to make a reservation. I had to send them copies of my passport, proof of vaccination, and proof of insurance for the duration of my stay.

And of course, now they are the ones slowing down the whole process.

It's ridiculous that so many checks need to be done. So wasteful and inefficient. What's the point of checking those documents twice?

So, just in case anybody's still following this thread:

I got my visa, and it was actually processed in one day. Looks like the Vancouver consulate is very efficient.

Maybe I shouldn't have postponed my flight, but then again I still ahve to get the Thai pass and that one has issues they need to resolve so...whatever

Anyways, I'm pretty clear on what is needed now to get the visa. If you have any questions post them here and I'll help you out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1