What is happening with PayPal Thailand?

10 minutes ago, phaholyothin said:

I didn't have any problem wiring 50 thousand baht back to the US two weeks ago.  There's even an option on the Bangkok Bank iPhone app that made it easy. No need to go into a branch or fill out any paperwork and no questions asked.

IMG_2155.PNG.89693ccee256d0eca833c3ff024c4a9e.PNG

That's good news. So maybe that has changed since I last wanted to wire money out a few years ago. - Can you wire money out to 'anyone' (say a firm) or just to an account bearing your name?

• Like 1

There is an option for either a business or personal recipient.  I chose business because I was wiring money back to help cover funeral expenses and it was going into the funeral home's bank account.  I just needed the account number and bank name. Did not need the SWIFT code because, I guess, the system recognized the bank by its name.

The only impediment I encountered is that you need to enter the request on a weekday during business hours.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, thierryviteau said:

Is it risky to connect to Paypal with a VPN when account is in another country ?

Do you do it ?

If you have a PayPal account in another country you can connect to that account by using the appropriate URL, without the need to resort to a VPN.

If you go to paypal.com while in Thailand, you will be load the page for the Thai PayPal site. But you can reach the US PayPal site, for example, from https://www.paypal.com/us/

PauL Laew

1 hour ago, thierryviteau said:

Is it risky to connect to Paypal with a VPN when account is in another country ?

Do you do it ?

Yes, it's risky, they can freeze your account "for your security" and you'll have to prove to them you haven't suddenly traveled to another country. There's no need to anyway. I login to my Canadian PayPal account in Thailand all the time.

On 1/22/2022 at 3:26 PM, thierryviteau said:

Do you do it ?

I got my account blocked for that, and they did not unblock it even after I called Paypal support and confirmed that it was really me. I had to register a new account with another email address.

The support rep told that I have to use Thailand IP addresses only to use Paypal within Thailand.

Fun fact: I'm still getting Paypal marketing and informational emails to the old email address of the blocked account.

Edited by fdsa
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, fdsa said:

I got my account blocked for that, and they did not unblock it even after I called Paypal support and confirmed that it was really me. I had to register a new account with another email address.

The support rep told that I have to use Thailand IP addresses only to use Paypal within Thailand.

Fun fact: I'm still getting Paypal marketing and informational emails to the old email address of the blocked account.

Thank you !

did you register the new account in the same country as the first one, or in Thailand ?

19 hours ago, thierryviteau said:

Thank you !

did you register the new account in the same country as the first one, or in Thailand ?

In Thailand, same as the first one. Got blocked for using Netherlands VPN.

So now I don't use VPN when logging in to paypal or ebay (== paypal)

Edited by fdsa

its a long thread , so may be this has all ready been posted. 

I contacted eBay about my PayPal account and this is what eBay sent me ...

This interesting comment from eBay   ......'' I have checked and I would like to share that eBay has already separated from PayPal '' 

--

PayPal1.jpg

On 1/13/2022 at 7:14 AM, doctormann said:

PayPal has its uses as an alternative payment channel.  I rarely use it but it's convenient sometimes.  I've only ever had a personal account so I have no idea how trading accounts have been affected.

so everyone who has completed the update is ok just for making payments right? Or you can also hold a balance and receive payments? Sorry but i don't get what that "You are all set" means

25 minutes ago, 72BKK said:

so everyone who has completed the update is ok just for making payments right? Or you can also hold a balance and receive payments? Sorry but i don't get what that "You are all set" means

Its akin to phrases like "quarantine free" the intention probably doesn't coalesce with the understood meaning.

Unless you have a PayPal verified Business account then its a 'payments only, no monies in or balance held' account.

Although they do trumpet on about how rollout of services will evolve. On raising the question with them by phone as to how long this 'limbo' with a neutered account is likely to be before 'normal service is resumed' I was brusquely told that "it will not happen".

Your PayPal account will be limited from March 7, 2022.

We recently contacted you about some upcoming changes to your PayPal account, which relate to the relaunch of our services in Thailand. Thank you for accepting the new PayPal Thailand Relaunch Agreements and/or submitting the necessary documents.

Those changes will no longer go ahead as planned, as we need more time to prepare our new services.

Unfortunately, we will be required to limit most of the functionality in your PayPal account in the meantime.

From March 7, 2022, the functionality in your PayPal account will be limited. You will not be able to send or receive money using your PayPal account. However, you may continue to withdraw money from your PayPal account to your bank account.

You can continue to pay at checkout as a guest using a debit or credit card.

The account limitation will take effect on March 7, 2022. Until then, you may continue to use your PayPal account as normal.

Yes an abject clusterfook

So even with acquiescing to their dictates, you are left with a zero functioning account (pay as a guest....well whoop-de-do).

Surely to god a sane approach would have been to leave the Singapore based accounts the hell alone until the Thai left hand truly knoweth what the Thai right hand is doing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fdsa said:

From March 7, 2022, the functionality in your PayPal account will be limited. You will not be able to send or receive money using your PayPal account. However, you may continue to withdraw money from your PayPal account to your bank account.

You can continue to pay at checkout as a guest using a debit or credit card.

So I guess subscription payments will stop? 

11 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

So I guess subscription payments will stop? 

oh fcukk, I didn't even realize that.

I have several important subscriptions with paypal for which it will be difficult to change the payment method.

Edited by fdsa

12 minutes ago, fdsa said:

oh fcukk, I didn't even realize that.

I have several important subscriptions with paypal for which it will be difficult to change the payment method.

Yes, me too. It's not really clear from this. But as the payments don't go through the checkout each time I guess it won't work? Maybe it will? I've got a couple where Visa from the debit card didn't work directly but using it through PayPal was fine. 

Any ideas on how to work around this yet another TiT stuff? I'm thinking about registering a new Paypal account with US/EU IP address and US/EU home address (fake, of course), and linking my Thai bank card with it. This should work because Paypal does not check the card issuer country, only IP/home addresses (at least it was like this several years ago).

Did anyone try that yet?

...that feel when you are forced to do stuff which others use for the illegal purposes, but for the completely legit purposes.

On 1/12/2022 at 4:56 PM, Regyai said:

TBH

Much of this puzzles me. Why are you all doing backflips to validate this neutered pared down parody of a PayPal account?

It depends entirely on what you use PayPal for. I've only ever used it to pay for things online (which was its original purpose as far as I'm aware) and after taking all of about 60 seconds to register as requested, I can apparently continue to use it just as I did before.

So for me at least, it's not a pared down account, it's an account that works exactly the same as it always did. And no "backflips" were required.

1 hour ago, fdsa said:

Any ideas on how to work around this yet another TiT stuff? I'm thinking about registering a new Paypal account with US/EU IP address and US/EU home address (fake, of course), and linking my Thai bank card with it. This should work because Paypal does not check the card issuer country, only IP/home addresses (at least it was like this several years ago).

Did anyone try that yet?

...that feel when you are forced to do stuff which others use for the illegal purposes, but for the completely legit purposes.

I looked into it, see below links. Opening a US paypal account now requires:

"To open a Personal account, you need to provide your first and last name, address, phone number, and email address."

The address cannot be a PO box. More important, the phone must be a US number. You can buy temporary US mobile numbers, but, ones I looked at specifically say they can't be used to forward paypal messages and OPT authentication requests. So you need a real number, and the phone needs to be in your hand for OTP requests.

If you find a way, please post back here. Good luck.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/what-information-is-required-to-open-a-personal-paypal-account-faq2080

https://www.doola.com/blog/how-to-create-a-us-paypal-account

5 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

It depends entirely on what you use PayPal for. I've only ever used it to pay for things online (which was its original purpose as far as I'm aware) and after taking all of about 60 seconds to register as requested, I can apparently continue to use it just as I did before.

So for me at least, it's not a pared down account, it's an account that works exactly the same as it always did. And no "backflips" were required.

Not so

Read above posts re the 'collapse' in March when it will be far from the same as it always was - and you will be reduced to being a guest at any checkout devoid of this hitherto last remaining facility of your account.

For non-businesses that use PPal to make and take in small cash amounts (i.e. selling off unwanted stuff on eBay or FB) or getting quick refunds on the internet etc. This is at the absolute putz. The only thing Paypal now seems good for is paying an additional high transaction fee on your using your credit cards online. 

I wonder if they will relaunch at a later date with a withholding tax or just accept that Thailand is not good place for PayPal to thrive, except for registered companies. 

This must be the putz for Thai freelancers and occasional sellers. 

Paypal was good because anyone can be sent an invoice and the customer can pay it with their credit card and they do not need to sign up for any account or anything.

What alternatives are there that offer similar functionality?

On 2/16/2022 at 12:21 PM, madhav said:

What alternatives are there that offer similar functionality?

I moved to Skrill (same company and product as net teller) but I have found them not widely adopted, still high fees on transfers. I don't find them as easy as PayPal. The do offer crypto (like some non Thai PayPal accounts) BUT you cannot transfer it out of the account you have to cash it in at a fee, then transfer the fiat at a high fee). I don't really like them TBH.

Tried a whole bunch of merchant accounts but as then all want a minimum of 25 USD per month to operate the account I never completed the registration process as I take in irregular and small payments..

Tried Stripe but no go for Thailand address.

Never got around to trying Payoneer but heard good things.

If you using PapPal account to receive monies or store monies for use then only 17 days left. I found biggest issue for me was that most services I use to sell small stuff or accept money from ONLY accepted PayPal and Merchant accounts. 

I have ended up getting a relative to set me up a Paypal account overseas which comes with host of potential problems. 

• Like 1

Very sad this, I used Paypal all the time selling goods on Ebay, then transfered the money to my Kasikorn account to support family.   Now I can forget Ebay since there are no other options than Papal. 

Need to find other platforms to sell my stuff and transfer money via Wise. 

Edited by balo

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, rabas said:

WE WON !

Paypal Thailand (read Thai govt)  just rescinded all planned restrictions on personal paypal accounts as of March 7.   I just received an email, here is the meat:

We have been listening to the concerns expressed by our customers in Thailand, and we have been working closely with the Thai authorities to try and address these concerns.

As a result, we are pleased to inform you that you can continue to use your PayPal account as usual. The previously communicated limitation to your account, scheduled to take effect on March 7, 2022, will no longer be implemented.

What this means

You will still be able to use your PayPal wallet’s current functionality after March 7, 2022. This means that you may continue shopping with your PayPal wallet, as well as sending and receiving money with your PayPal account.

You do not need to take any action.

Received the same thing minutes ago I am guessing all those account that were zero'd made them think again ????