Jump to content

What is happening with PayPal Thailand?


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, phaholyothin said:

 

If I have already linked my bank account, is there any benefit to linking the debit card too?  

Sorry, no idea, call PP, Bangkok and ask them is best.   I'd guess that it couldn't do any harm.

Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, phaholyothin said:

What's his definition of "an older account"? 

 

I have not received any emails yet. 

I have no idea. I asked specifically a few times.  I told him other people want to know, is there a criteria for older accounts? He never answered directly. But he was adamant I will be able to receive money after the Thailand relaunch.  Though, I don't have much faith in what he said.  My account is old and he did look it up and tell me the date, so it's not all vacuum talk.

 

Now read another opinion from Paypal on this new page.  https://www.paypal.com/th/webapps/mpp/2021relaunch?locale.x=en_TH

 

Existing PayPal consumers in Thailand can still use PayPal to shop and pay online in millions of stores. They can also continue to accept payments easily and securely.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, rabas said:

Now read another opinion from Paypal on this new page.  https://www.paypal.com/th/webapps/mpp/2021relaunch?locale.x=en_TH

 

Existing PayPal consumers in Thailand can still use PayPal to shop and pay online in millions of stores. They can also continue to accept payments easily and securely.

 

 

[Facepalm]... talk about mexed misseges. 

 

[edit - having read further, it seems like they are referring to the present "waiting period" before the official relaunch date, while PayPal is temporarily unavailable for people who want to open new accounts.]

Edited by phaholyothin
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, phaholyothin said:

[edit - having read further, it seems like they are referring to the present "waiting period" before the official relaunch date, while PayPal is temporarily unavailable for people who want to open new accounts.]

This is correct. Remember that this "relaunch" was originally supposed to happen at the beginning of THIS year, not next year so they are/were communicating that existing customers can use their account for now until the changes come into effect. Once you receive the emails and on-site notices, you either agree to their relaunch terms and use their useless, watered down version or you don't and you won't be able to use the account at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just set up a Stripe account to accept payments online using credit/debit cards, but especially using Alipay and Wechat for my customers in China. To establish this Stripe account, I had to register a Ltd company in the UK (my home country), which cost about $25 to set up online. Payments received using Stripe will then be automatically sent to my Wise online bank account, from where I can withdraw funds to my Thai or Lao bank accounts.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I received the email yesterday telling me to review and agree to their relaunch conditions,  I logged into my account to find out about this but, although I can see a FAQ about this, I can't see any way to review and accept their new conditions.  Can anyone explain how to do it ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/12/2021 at 6:59 AM, simon43 said:

I've just set up a Stripe account to accept payments online using credit/debit cards, but especially using Alipay and Wechat for my customers in China. To establish this Stripe account, I had to register a Ltd company in the UK (my home country), which cost about $25 to set up online. Payments received using Stripe will then be automatically sent to my Wise online bank account, from where I can withdraw funds to my Thai or Lao bank accounts.

Do you use a Wise personal or business account?

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/15/2021 at 8:42 AM, delboy said:

I received the email yesterday telling me to review and agree to their relaunch conditions,  I logged into my account to find out about this but, although I can see a FAQ about this, I can't see any way to review and accept their new conditions.  Can anyone explain how to do it ?

Same here. 

 

Anyone? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/15/2021 at 1:42 PM, delboy said:

I received the email yesterday telling me to review and agree to their relaunch conditions,  I logged into my account to find out about this but, although I can see a FAQ about this, I can't see any way to review and accept their new conditions.  Can anyone explain how to do it ?

When you log into your account, there is a notification bell thing that should be highlighted. I believe I clicked on that and was able to agree to their conditions through there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that info.  When I tried the notifications earlier, there were none.  I just tried again, and the option to accept their conditions was there.  Now waiting for their next email.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I attempted so sign into my Thai PP account today, yesterday was no issue.

 

Error 403 Forbidden

Forbidden

Guru Mediation:

Details: cache-qpg1251-QPG 1637215109 1557426016

Edited by Isan Farang
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Isan Farang said:

I attempted so sign into my Thai PP account today, yesterday was no issue.

 

Error 403 Forbidden

Forbidden

Guru Mediation:

Details: cache-qpg1251-QPG 1637215109 1557426016

No issues here. Are you using a VPN? Maybe you were assigned a "Bad IP" and if so, resetting your internet modem might fix it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

No issues here. Are you using a VPN? Maybe you were assigned a "Bad IP" and if so, resetting your internet modem might fix it.

No i do not use a VPN, regarding the modem reset is this just a off/on job

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

Got an email today and a notification on my Thai PayPal account asking me to confirm my identity, uploading my passport, confirming my address and to upload a bank statement.

I did too, but they do not mention a deadline. I believe from this link it's still Feb 22, 2022.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

Got an email today and a notification on my Thai PayPal account asking me to confirm my identity, uploading my passport, confirming my address and to upload a bank statement.

Have you already done the "Review and accept PayPal Thailand Relaunch Agreements" ?

 

Is yours a Business or a Personal PayPal Account?

 

I ask as mine's a personal one and TBH I intend using it until the relaunch deadline then closing it. I've deliberately not done the 'accept the agreements' and all that I've had so far is the email inviting me to do so (11.11.21) and a repeat of the same email received today.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/7/2021 at 2:08 PM, Smithson said:

I have a Ltd Co. registered in Thailand with an online shop currently receiving payment from PayPal. Can anybody suggest alternatives?

Do you have all of this information? see #8 here

  • 13-digit Thailand business registration number issued by the relevant local authority.
  • Official business name, phone number and business address.
  • Thailand business registration document (upload required)
  • Proof of business address (upload recent utility bill, tax document, credit card or bank statement that shows business address)

If so, you can register as a business and change to a Paypal business account.

 

I asked Paypal Thailand in the Philippines about this yesterday.  They said they just convert your current  account to business. The only difference is they are obliged to withhold VAT (7%) but only on the amount of PayPal's transaction fees, not on the price of goods sold, they said.

Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, rabas said:

I did too, but they do not mention a deadline. I believe from this link it's still Feb 22, 2022.  

Yes they didn't mention a deadline for me either. Looks like their situation is evolving too and there MIGHT be some restoration of being able to use personal accounts later in 2022: Initially, PayPal personal accounts will not be able to hold a balance or withdraw funds. And: * PayPal Thailand account capabilities are subject to change

 

13 minutes ago, Regyai said:

Have you already done the "Review and accept PayPal Thailand Relaunch Agreements" ?

 

Is yours a Business or a Personal PayPal Account?

 

I ask as mine's a personal one and TBH I intend using it until the relaunch deadline then closing it. I've deliberately not done the 'accept the agreements' and all that I've had so far is the email inviting me to do so (11.11.21) and a repeat of the same email received today.

Yes I accepted it awhile ago and I went through the verification they asked for. I notice they've changed the wording now so we'll see what happens by March. Mine is a personal account.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

they seem to be taxing the item price, not just Paypal fees:

 

paypal.png.e8b670068a1be6fe4c997c14832d935c.png

 

if they were taxing the Paypal fee then the Tax would be 7% out of 10% which is ~0.2 USD

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, fdsa said:

they seem to be taxing the item price, not just Paypal fees:

 

paypal.png.e8b670068a1be6fe4c997c14832d935c.png

 

if they were taxing the Paypal fee then the Tax would be 7% out of 10% which is ~0.2 USD

Did you buy or sell this item?

What was the country of origin and destination?

 

That may make a difference. I was told by PayPal Thailand that a business account selling items from Thailand would only pay 7% on Paypal fees and not the sales amount.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rabas said:

Did you buy or sell this item?

What was the country of origin and destination?

 

That may make a difference. I was told by PayPal Thailand that a business account selling items from Thailand would only pay 7% on Paypal fees and not the sales amount.

I bought digital goods from USA.

 

Maybe it's only USA thing? I often buy stuff on Ebay from other countries (mainly Europe, sometimes Australia/Japan/Hong Kong) and was never taxed before. The last purchase from Germany was just before the New Year and I was not taxed.

The last purchase from USA was about 3 years ago and I was not taxed then, so it may be a fresh tax law.

 

I'll report back when I'd buy something else from a different country.

Edited by fdsa
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, fdsa said:

I bought digital goods from USA.

 

Maybe it's only USA thing? I often buy stuff on Ebay from other countries (mainly Europe, sometimes Australia/Japan/Hong Kong) and was never taxed before. The last purchase from Germany was just before the New Year and I was not taxed.

The last purchase from USA was about 3 years ago and I was not taxed then, so it may be a fresh tax law.

 

I'll report back when I'd buy something else from a different country.

That makes more sense. In Thailand you pay 7% VAT on all purchases, which is meant to include items bought from overseas.

 

I buy lots of small to medium sized electronic / computer parts from everywhere, which are shipped by post.  Small items are usually delivered to my door, in which case I'm not asked to pay anything. For larger items, I'm often called to collect them at Thailand Post and always pay 7% VAT on the cost of the item.  Even if the same item was delivered free to my door in the past.

 

So Paypal Thailand is now enforcing Thailand VAT tax on purchased items. Quelle surprise.

 

My earlier question to PayPal Thailand was about selling items, presumably overseas. I have heard that exports are not subject to VAT.

 

Now I wonder why you paid 8.9%. tax.

 

Edited by rabas
Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a "Final Warning" for verification for my Thailand Paypal account. But the verification link seems to require a government-issued Thai ID number. It's not accepting my passport number. Anyone else with the same problem? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...