What is happening with PayPal Thailand?

OK another call to PayPal Thailand! This time I took the Thai language option as yesterday I took the English language option.

It was the same as yesterday. Personal Paypal you can only use for paying (linked to credit card). Business PayPal you will need to re-verify. I did get one extra piece of info. which was that to verify for business you will need a "tabien panit"  commercial license which has 13 numbers . It will only be possible to re-verify if you have the 13 number registration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

Do you know if it's physical mail or an email they are sending out?

They told me just now they will start sending emails tomorrow (and also alerts on your acct page when you log in). Probably just decided to start because we keep calling them so often!!

• Thanks 1

the TAX MAN cometh .... ????

As it should be really, being fair to all the people's income and businesses that do have to pay.  Fair is fair, though I don't like the higher prices that will be passed on to us, but it is what it is.

On 11/9/2021 at 1:52 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

"...as clueless aseannow posters".

Don't be so hard on yourself!

Well it looks like yet again posting porkies regurgitated by famous customer service with great copy paste abilities. 

Anoyhoo...got the email from Paypal today. You can kiss the account goodbye unless you are a registered business.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Pravda, I haven't received any such email from Paypal.  I have a personal account with Paypal Thailand, opened in 2012, and linked to my personal Thai bank accounts for fund withdrawals.  I do have a Paypal merchant ID, but it's not a business account...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Hi Pravda, I haven't received any such email from Paypal.  I have a personal account with Paypal Thailand, opened in 2012, and linked to my personal Thai bank accounts for fund withdrawals.  I do have a Paypal merchant ID, but it's not a business account...

The emails usually get sent out in waves. I haven't received one yet either.

Edited by Ohyesuare

1 hour ago, Pravda said:
On 11/9/2021 at 1:52 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

"...as clueless aseannow posters".

Don't be so hard on yourself!

Well it looks like yet again posting porkies regurgitated by famous customer service with great copy paste abilities. 

Anoyhoo...got the email from Paypal today. You can kiss the account goodbye unless you are a registered business.

You're suggesting that I'm lying in my posts?    If you are, back that up with specifics please.

"...got the email from Paypal ... you can kiss the account goodbye unless you are a registered business".

I don't know why you think you know anything about my PP account, obviously, you do not.  For the record, I have a personal account, I've had it for years, I do not have to have it verified and I will not have to kiss it goodbye "because it's not a registered business".   Let's see the email that you got confirming that personal accounts opened before March '21 will be invalid after February '22 then we can take the issue further with PP.

• Sad 1

I've received the email as well. You'll still be able to make payments with it, but the money will be charged from the linked bank account. You won't be able to receive money through it or keep money in it.

So no, you won't have to kiss your personal PP account goodbye, but you won't be able to receive money through it in any way.

Edited by Myran
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Myran said:

I've received the email as well. You'll still be able to make payments with it, but the money will be charged from the linked bank account. You won't be able to receive money through it or keep money in it.

So no, you won't have to kiss your personal PP account goodbye, but you won't be able to receive money through it in any way.

I've called and spoke to their Thai customer service. You are correct but in addition, since you won't be able to receive money or keep a balance, you obviously won't be able to send funds to individuals either. So yes, your account will be fine otherwise if you accept their relaunch agreement and go through their verification but it will be useless to many of us who use it receive payments and transfer it to our thai bank, send money or hold a balance while waiting for a better exchange rate.

Edited by Ohyesuare
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

I've called and spoke to their Thai customer service. You are correct but in addition, since you won't be able to receive money or keep a balance, you obviously won't be able to send funds to individuals either. So yes, your account will be fine otherwise if you accept their relaunch agreement and go through their verification but it will be useless to many of us who use it receive payments and transfer it to our thai bank, send payments or hold a balance while waiting for a better exchange rate.

So basically the new service will be like half a monegram or western union service? Only payments but no receipts.

2 hours ago, Pravda said:

Screenshot_2021-11-11-10-42-15-029_com.yahoo.mobile.client.android.mail.jpg

"Prior to transferring your account to PayPal Thailand..."

Does this basically suggest that the company structure has changed? Presently we are on PayPal (international?) and it will now exist as some sort of Thai "pseudo entity" only for shopping??

I thought that sentence was very revealing but I might be reading too much into it.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You're suggesting that I'm lying in my posts?    If you are, back that up with specifics please.

"...got the email from Paypal ... you can kiss the account goodbye unless you are a registered business".

I don't know why you think you know anything about my PP account, obviously, you do not.  For the record, I have a personal account, I've had it for years, I do not have to have it verified and I will not have to kiss it goodbye "because it's not a registered business".   Let's see the email that you got confirming that personal accounts opened before March '21 will be invalid after February '22 then we can take the issue further with PP.

Where is a rolling eye emotion?

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

Not even. It is switching to be strictly a way to shop at merchants that accept PayPal if you're an individual.

So how will that work if one has a dispute over the goods and services supplied and the payment has been made. How will one get money back and to where it will be deposited if one cannot receive any payments through it.

• Like 1

Nice to see such tense conversation. Well, being PayPal active user and holder of business account since 2001 I'm pretty sure this mess won't do any good for anybody and likely backfire to eggheads in AMLO and Ministry of Finance. But no need to worry - there are so many alternatives to proceed payments without doing that disgusting KY-B.

I run multiple shops selling local products abroad and most are accepting PayPal as the form of payment. So what? change a code, IPN and keep on going. When PayPal was only US-based it was great, later they outsourced to India, Malaysia, Singapore ... And the final throw is PayPal Thailand. Uneducated barely speaking students managing /looking after your money? No, Sir! Still can use Skrill [former Moneybookers], CCNOW and many-many others. 

Edited by NativeBob

received the email today as well.

Do they force you to accept the Relaunch Agreements when you login to your PP account? Or is it just like a reminder for now, that you can close without accepting it? 

I just want to wait until everything gets cleared up and don't want to accept anything for now. But I will have to login to my Paypal soon and wondering how it goes there. 

47 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

Nice to see such tense conversation. Well, being PayPal active user and holder of business account since 2001 I'm pretty sure this mess won't do any good for anybody and likely backfire to eggheads in AMLO and Ministry of Finance. But no need to worry - there are so many alternatives to proceed payments without doing that disgusting KY-B.

I run multiple shops selling local products abroad and most are accepting PayPal as the form of payment. So what? change a code, IPN and keep on going. When PayPal was only US-based it was great, later they outsourced to India, Malaysia, Singapore ... And the final throw is PayPal Thailand. Uneducated barely speaking students managing /looking after your money? No, Sir! Still can use Skrill [former Moneybookers], CCNOW and many-many others. 

Any opinions on good alternatives to PayPal? Also does anyone have any opinions on whether this will only affect Paypal or will others be on the chopping block?

1 hour ago, rabas said:

Many posters have called Paypal Thailand and heard different things. So I just called and asked 3 specific questions about my personal PP account.

1. After updating, can I use my account as before?

2. After updating, can I use my acct to receive payments?

3. After updating, can I maintain a paypal balance?

I asked repeatedly in every way possible and he also spent several minutes consulting with others esp about Q2 and 3.  He mentioned that mine was an older account and said I will be able to receive payments and hold a balance as before after the Thailand relaunch. We went over this several times.

This is completely contradictory to the notice I received from Paypal this morning:

Going forward, to receive payments or hold a balance in your PayPal Thailand account, you must be a business registered in Thailand and meet the PayPal Thailand “Know Your Business” account verification requirements. This includes providing your Thai business registration number and other business information.

If you’re not a business registered in Thailand, you may consider registering your business with the Thailand Ministry of Commerce and then open a new PayPal Thailand business account. 

If you’re not a business registered in Thailand and wish to use PayPal only to make payments, please log in to your account to accept the PayPal Thailand Relaunch Agreements.

Conclusion, the confusion is with Paypal itself and not our honorable TV posters.  It might be prudent to not agree to anything until this gets cleared up.

I will not argue about this, but after dealing with Amazon, eBay, PayPal for 20 years I have gotten to know their customer service pretty well. They'll say anything to get you off the phone wasting their valuable time. They will basically say what you want to hear. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pravda said:

I will not argue about this, but after dealing with Amazon, eBay, PayPal for 20 years I have gotten to know their customer service pretty well. They'll say anything to get you off the phone wasting their valuable time. They will basically say what you want to hear. 

O, good point with such long experience! Do you remember how those customer services went to complete dumb-<deleted> crazy over years? At least back in 0's there were some care ... 

Last time (2020) I had a problem with refund for my purchase at eBay - it was freaking hell So I shut an account at eBay they suck now. After 20 years of active account they said I can't list domains for more than $999 a pop! Anything that goes (Thailand) [whatever it is] turns into "kee-nok"

3 hours ago, rabas said:

I asked repeatedly in every way possible and he also spent several minutes consulting with others esp about Q2 and 3.  He mentioned that mine was an older account and said I will be able to receive payments and hold a balance as before after the Thailand relaunch. We went over this several times.

What's his definition of "an older account"? 

I have not received any emails yet. 

On 11/9/2021 at 1:25 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

My PP/Thai bank link is with a debit card and it has been confirmed that my account will continue to be valid with this type of card.   Amazing what a phone call to a real person at PP can do.  Unaffected existing  personal accounts will continue to be able to be linked to debit cards.

If I have already linked my bank account, is there any benefit to linking the debit card too?