Injured and dead migrant workers dumped in Thai rubber plantation after accident

Jonathan Fairfield

22 hours ago, KhunLA said:

And yet, you are in Thailand, supporting how many Military Junta administrations with your VAT.

A bit hypocritical expecting only the tourist to boycott Thailand on morality.

PEACE OUT

So where do you live?  I am in Thailand to be near my son.  At 79 it is not easy to uproot; disposing of possessions/relationships built over the last 17 years; so I remain but have opinions which I voice.  How do you propose to rid Thailand from Military Juntas?  Only when the masses voice sufficient disagreement will there be any change. Mine is one voice of protest; yours suggests acquiescence.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, mikebell said:

So where do you live?  I am in Thailand to be near my son.  At 79 it is not easy to uproot; disposing of possessions/relationships built over the last 17 years; so I remain but have opinions which I voice.  How do you propose to rid Thailand from Military Juntas?  Only when the masses voice sufficient disagreement will there be any change. Mine is one voice of protest; yours suggests acquiescence.

I live in Thailand and know my VAT supports the administration.  I never implied it didn't, or care that it does.  I was replying to someone who lives in Thailand, being a bit hypocritical IMHO, on stating tourist should avoid, but apparently thinks his VAT / taxes don't support the Military Junta's administrations over the decades he's been living here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Even if they entered legally, they would still be risking there lives with a Thai driver, taking a bend down hill. init

Not if they obey at least 1 law, and stay out of the back of a P/U.  There's that 'laws are to protect' thingy again, IF, you obey.  They chose not to ...  at that point, my sympathies start to wain.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 2

On 11/7/2021 at 8:10 AM, ikke1959 said:

Is this the Buddhism of Thailand??? Stray dogs are treated better........inhumane and the Government must find out who is responsible, but as usual.... probably the traffickers has hig ranked friends and nothing will happen

Disgraceful to bring religion into it. 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Not if they obey at least 1 law, and stay out of the back of a P/U.  There's that 'laws are to protect' thingy again, IF, you obey.  They chose not to ...  at that point, my sympathies start to wain.

And you presume all legal boarder crossers will all travel in pick up trucks Oh of course buses a mini busses never drive of the road, hit trees, or power poles do they ?

Captergure.thumb.JPG.5d2bd97ccc7ed65a3f37b197075cce83.jpg.c42978e7d04159d452640f6800de1eaa.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Disgraceful to bring religion into it. 

No not at all... Buddhism in Thailand is honour for every form of life.. That is why stray dogs, monkeys, cats can not be killed..and same for all kind animals and insects, even so it is impossible for euthanasy for your own life to arrange... Buddhism in Thailand is helping eachother without exceptions.. So that is what is preached and learned in schools and than they do this,.... I don't know if you must be proud if straydogs are threated better.. A few weeks back here was even a boy who saved a  cockroach...... it was all over the news what a good boy he was..........and than I don't even speak of the murders of men and women for nothing the reckless driving that kills innocent people and many more things.... That is a disgrace for the religion the country has.....There is a failure somewhere

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

And you presume all legal boarder crossers will all travel in pick up trucks Oh of course buses a mini busses never drive of the road, hit trees, or power poles do they ?

Captergure.thumb.JPG.5d2bd97ccc7ed65a3f37b197075cce83.jpg.c42978e7d04159d452640f6800de1eaa.jpg

"He said they were packed into a pickup truck"

Haven't a clue what accident that is a photo of.

Edited by KhunLA

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

@KhunLA maybe give this a read to understand better why they would flee to Thailand ...

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-government-urged-to-formalise-cross-border-assistance-to-myanmar/

apples & oranges comparison.  From the 2 articles

apples / crash victims - "Of late, many migrant workers from Myanmar have escaped their strife-torn homeland into Thailand, to seek jobs in the cities"

oranges / your op ed - Myanmar military offensive against armed ethnic minority groups, some of which are providing training to the so-called Peoples Defence Force to fight the junta.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

apples / crash victims - "Of late, many migrant workers from Myanmar have escaped their strife-torn homeland into Thailand, to seek jobs in the cities"

oranges / your op ed - Myanmar military offensive against armed ethnic minority groups, some of which are providing training to the so-called Peoples Defence Force to fight the junta.

Missed the point completely on why people are fleeing, and trying to get to Thailand.....

"Myanmar’s problems are fundamentally Thailand’s as well. Thailand and Myanmar are like “Eng and Chang”. The acts may be different, but they are the same,” he added"

And this one point especially you seemed to miss @KhunLA

"Sirada Khemanitthathai, a Chiang Mai University political scientist, said the Thai government should also hasten resumption of the Memorandum of Understanding on migrant workers, which was suspended after the border closure because of COVID-19, and they should make registration easier, and at a reasonable cost too.

This would keep the folks from entering as these folks did trying to find a better life, but you can not see this now can you.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Please stop now! I was so happy when you said "Peace Out" about a day ago. Please, please keep your promise! ????????????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I'm guessing you think that these 2 sentences somehow that these migrant workers aren't fleeing armed conflicts? Aren't fleeing a regime that murderously represses its civilian population? It's not incumbent upon you to comment about a subject that you are clearly unfamiliar with.

6 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

No not at all... Buddhism in Thailand is honour for every form of life.. That is why stray dogs, monkeys, cats can not be killed..and same for all kind animals and insects, even so it is impossible for euthanasy for your own life to arrange... Buddhism in Thailand is helping eachother without exceptions.. So that is what is preached and learned in schools and than they do this,.... I don't know if you must be proud if straydogs are threated better.. A few weeks back here was even a boy who saved a  cockroach...... it was all over the news what a good boy he was..........and than I don't even speak of the murders of men and women for nothing the reckless driving that kills innocent people and many more things.... That is a disgrace for the religion the country has.....There is a failure somewhere

What country are you from?

This is like me talking about Christian acts and non Christian acts in the UK, for example the hypocrisy in having so many pubs next to churches, etc. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

If you're going to start blaming a religion for the bad conduct of citizens of a particuular country, which ones will come out of that sort of evaluation untarnished?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, placeholder said:

If you're going to start blaming a religion for the bad conduct of citizens of a particuular country, which ones will come out of that sort of evaluation untarnished?

IMO Thailand as a country that promotes Buddhism as THE religion, has proven many times that in the Covid, the treatment of  Rohinha, refugees from Myanmar and now this are not very in the line with what they preach..

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

IMO Thailand as a country that promotes Buddhism as THE religion, has proven many times that in the Covid, the treatment of  Rohinha, refugees from Myanmar and now this are not very in the line with what they preach..

I only know 1 good Buddhist, who won't even kill an animal to eat, his wife has to.  Don't know any good Christians (Catholic or Protestant) , Muslims or Jews.  All hypocrites.

I don't know any Hindus, I don't think.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

This is like me talking about Christian acts and non Christian acts in the UK, for example the hypocrisy in having so many pubs next to churches, etc. 

I am from an European country, but whatever religion you follow this is not how you treat humans if they are injured or dead, you don't dump them. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

I am from an European country, but whatever religion you follow this is not how you treat humans if they are injured or dead, you don't dump them. 

So why are you criticizing the entire Thai people and their religion? 

There are bad people in every country, don't you think?

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I only know 1 good Buddhist, who won't even kill an animal to eat, his wife has to.  Don't know any good Christians (Catholic or Protestant) , Muslims or Jews.  All hypocrites.

I don't know any Hindus, I don't think.

What is your point exactly, apart from showing you don't know many people?

Do you seriously expect us to believe you only know bad Christians, Jews, Muslims and Buddhists(apart from 1)?

Do you think all Buddhist should be vegans?

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes, it is a worldwide Endemic problem, and people are looking for a better life then the oppresses one they are living and wishing to help family still stuck in the old country.

GF tells me that when she and her mother came here from Myanmar 20 years ago they paid 7k and 15k to a driver.  The truck was a large commercial vegetable carrier and they were hidden in between the crates of veggies.  The money they paid had come from a collection taken by family and friends and it took them over two years to pay it back, at that time they had been promised jobs as a housekeeper and caregiver for a young child, but they could not get the proper papers in Myanmar as they are Ethnic Karen.  They then had to pay to leave the country 4 years ago, and return to Myanmar while it was undergoing Democratic growth and where this time they had the funds to get their passports and visas under the MOU program. 

Unfortunately with the Civil war ongoing the ability to do this now for others like them has gone away for the most part as the Ethnic minorities are shunned, and is why Thailand is now making the new program good for 5 more years for those already in the country as they try to make them all legal.  However, it does not and will not stop those from entering illegally in order to get a better life as the issue lies within Myanmar as far as the paperwork goes.

The GF's family has been trying to arrange for new passports from the embassy here in Bangkok, for those here whose 5 year passport expires, but have been finding it extremely hard as the Embassy is only allowing a few in per day, and obtaining an appointment is getting harder as the agents fill those slots to get passports and paperwork for those here illegally in order to become right with the government here under the new extensions the Thai government instituted.

I know an ethnic Karen that bought a Thai ID from a dead person, well you know what I mean. 

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

What is your point exactly, apart from showing you don't know many people?

Do you seriously expect us to believe you only know bad Christians, Jews, Muslims and Buddhists(apart from 1)?

Do you think all Buddhist should be vegans?

No point, just an observation.  All my Christians friend that I grew up with and know, we all did some not so good Christian things.  Along with my Jewish cousin, who I wouldn't trust with my wife.  Only know 1 Muslim, I think, and she's a bit of a scammer

.... nuff said

And Buddhist ... vegans, doubtful.  But ... "Buddhism, it is against the first precept to harm, kill or eat sentient beings"

He is the only one I know that is a 'good' Buddhist.  Damn nice guy also.

Edited by KhunLA

8 hours ago, Neeranam said:

So why are you criticizing the entire Thai people and their religion? 

There are bad people in every country, don't you think?

I think in Europe a lot more people are more human than here... they don't kill their family for nothing, torture kids...( ever been in a school in THailand where kids are being hit for nothing??) refugees as Rohinya and foreigners living here are discriminated... That is not a few people but the whole country... And yes there are bad people in every country and good people too as here in Thailand, but follow the news please and see what is happening.. Ever seen a peaceful demonstration knocked down like here with teargaz and watercanon with chemicals??? Peaceful demonstration I said.... In Europe they dont suffocate a suspect with a plastic bag and so on and so....

10 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Does the Christian religion forbid 'pubs'? I thought it was the Mosques that wanted them gone!