Injured and dead migrant workers dumped in Thai rubber plantation after accident

Jonathan Fairfield

25 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

Take a deep breath!

We speak about human beings. 

That's a tragedy.

You probably never felt hungry or desperate.

I feel for them. They see no other choice than looking to find work somewhere else to feed their families.

Nobody that is paying 1 or 2 months salary to a trafficker is going hungry in Myanmar.

฿7000 = K380813 / K5000 (min day wage) = 2+ months salary

• Confused 1
  • Sad 8

4 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Of all of the recent migrants, NONE have had Covid.

With due respect, may I make reference to today's Cambodian press regarding migrants in Thailand  (7 November 2021):-

"Five out of 13 imported cases of COVID-19 reported in Thailand had arrived from Cambodia. The remaining were from eight other countries, including one each from Turkey, Russia, the United Arab Emirates, Switzerland, Malaysia and Myanmar and two from France"

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50966106/five-from-cambodia-tested-positive-for-covid-19-in-thailand-even-as-hundreds-get-deported/

I think there should be 7 other countries, not 8 as stated and apart from Burma, the other countries may refer to tourists rather than migrants - but I might be wrong.

• Like 1

Think some of y'all are confusing these 'looking for better pay' illegal immigrants, for the 'asylum / get shot on sight / karen' refugees.  Big difference.

And seriously, they have smartphones but are uneducated and don't know how to use them ...

...  call me insensitive, but damn, that was a bit racist.

They chose to break the 'immigration law'  ...  1st mistake

They chose to break the 'driving law', riding in the back of a pick up ... 2nd mistake

Follow the laws designed to protect you, common sense, and they'd still be at home waiting for dinner.  Instead, a few at the morgue, and few more in detention.  Choices ...  UP2U

If it wasn't a 'dead migrant workers dumped rubber plantation' headliner, it wouldn't be news.  Simply a MVA, w/ casualties.  Happens every day here.  Probably once a month with folks in back of a P/U.

PEACE OUT ... again ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

9 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

One way to maintain that unblemished work-site safety record posted at the entrance.

On the plus side, they don't get tossed into the just-poured concrete.

Yeh thats a real plus?

8 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Those other countries tend not to dump 3 dead bodies in a rice plantation along with the injured and the rest of the group then wait for villagers to find them at dawn, call the police and the ambulance arrived. 

Yes you have zero compassion and are an example of exactly what is wrong with the system in Thailand

Wrong with the system, but not necessarily the people.

The savage attitude, evinced in the post to which you have replied, is nothing to do with any "system".

It definitely is a "people" problem.

Edited by Enoon

13 hours ago, KhunLA said:

They knew they were doing something illegal, that always comes with risks.  There is nobody to blame but themselves.

Is there anyone who doesn't know the dangers of partaking in human trafficking / illegal immigration.

You make your choices in life, you live with them.

Is nothing to do with my compassion.  All the boo hoo'ers,  are you happy your country has immigration laws, and get mad when people ignore them.  Same same, not different.

do you not understand that Myanmar is pretty much at civil war, I dont believe the average person is able to legally leave Myanmar at this time. 

I think if I was in the same position as these people I would be doing exactly the same thing, whatever it takes to get to a safe place. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

This is the bit that Thailand ignores.

They are refugees.

They know that Thailand will just send them back so they have no choice but to escape from Burma illegally. (Earning a few bob helps as there is no financial cushion in Thailand.)

Shame on you Prayut.

Thailand cannot possibly handle refugees from Burma, a de facto failed state, in effective civil war, with 54 million pop.Any indication that it would stupidly try would literally open the floodgates.

20 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

The solution to the ones entering illegally is simple.

At the moment, they arrest them. Check them for Covid. Incarcerate them and then send them back.

So, register them. Give them temporary papers and let them work in a controlled environment.

After a probation period, make their papers more permanent.

I don’t know where you source your information from but I live in the North of Chiang Mai Province and some of the Burmese apprehended in the last week or so did test positive for Covid.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 7:53 AM, jacko45k said:

Horrific..... but lacking in details.

On 11/7/2021 at 7:51 AM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

:post-4641-1156694572:   Just another dumb Thai driver who can't drive downhill and i have no doubt a curve was involved.

22 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

The solution to the ones entering illegally is simple.

At the moment, they arrest them. Check them for Covid. Incarcerate them and then send them back.

So, register them. Give them temporary papers and let them work in a controlled environment.

After a probation period, make their papers more permanent.

Your in Thailand where logic and common sense does not prevail.

20 hours ago, pegman said:

Yes, it's a tragic occurrence. The type of thing you only usually read about happening around the USA southern border. 

Conveniently overlooking the mass migration of desperate souls trying to get into Europe from Africa, the middle east and even beyond.

20 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I feel compassion when people die, get injured, get dealt a bad hand.  Yes, it sucks they died, but there are better ways.  They paid money ... so they weren't that down & out.   The ones walking across the border, not using traffickers, I have more compassion for.

They made choices, obviously this time, it turned out bad.  This is one of the reason why the laws are there.  To protect people from themselves, not just the legal workers who get paid less.

Illegal immigration / human trafficking is high risk ... does anyone not know that ???

That uncommon common sense.

Even if they entered legally, they would still be risking there lives with a Thai driver, taking a bend down hill. init