What made you decide that you wanted to live in Thailand, how long have you lived here, and do you have any regrets ?

4MyEgo

14 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

g'day mate, thanks for the heads up. I read about that a few months ago and am hoping to skedaddle before it's passed into law. 

I love 'Straya but they can get stuffed with their 45% top marginal tax rate. my intention was always to leave "permanently" once I retired and become a world nomad but it was always a nice fallback if I wanted to come back for say, three months and explore the outback or whatever. but this proposed 45 day max. rule is disgraceful. it's a Barry Crocker! ????

Yeah I’ll be liquidating everything. 45 days is not enough in my opinion. And the bigger worry is how they will get the money from you. If you don’t meet 2 of the 4 requirements - Will they demand all your financial details from day 46, tax you and you have to claim it back somehow proving you don’t meet enough of the requirements or will they require proof before hand and then not bother you.. Another Australian government sh!tshow.

Edited by ncc1701d

54 minutes ago, ncc1701d said:

Yeah I’ll be liquidating everything. 45 days is not enough in my opinion. And the bigger worry is how they will get the money from you. If you don’t meet 2 of the 4 requirements - Will they demand all your financial details from day 46, tax you and you have to claim it back somehow proving you don’t meet enough of the requirements or will they require proof before hand and then not bother you.. Another Australian government sh!tshow.

In practical terms I don't think it will be that bad. If you have a home and or family in Thailand and you come to Australia for a couple of months to travel or visit friends it will be fine. There is discretion and some common sense in these things.

It would definitely be after the fact. They might send you a letter and ask for information about your situation, give you the proposed decision,  and only then amend or lodge assessments.  The only time you might have an issue is if you stayed many months and they had information about your Australian investments and could not make contact. Then you could object and get it fixed. This is my 2 cents but I think it's likely to be correct. 

On 11/7/2021 at 2:34 PM, NONG CHOK said:

Hi all, I met my Thai wife in 2000, we married one year later. Everything went ok for many years. We have several properties that I paid for, a good car and unlimited food on the table. In recent years I get the impression I'm a nobody. More to the point I'm her sponsor rather than her husband. I'm sure YouTube has had alot to do with that. She only speaks to me when she wants something. Even her adult children at times have a go at her the way she speaks to me, I'm now going on 77 yo so I'm through with moving on. If I owned the properties in my name I would've kicked her out 4-5 years ago.

By the way my wife is 65 yo.

Not my business but if I'm not happy, I'm not staying. Wife can keep the house, land and the money. my pension arrives every month and there are lot's of nice condos in lot's of nice places.

• Like 1