PayPal is cancelling personal accounts in Thailand from next year

webfact

1 minute ago, MRToMRT said:

This must be the death of PayPal in Thailand, pity.

They are expensive to use. Thailand isn't putting them out of business... just guiding them towards the door. They can turn if they want.  They have competition that is better.  They could evolve with the times, but if they don't, so be it.  ????

• Like 2

I opened my account 2010 & I operate from Thailand & linked to a Thai account! I haven't recieved any correspondence from PayPal as yet. I read the info on PP site and it seems that existing accounts are OK, but no new personel accounts will be accepted till relaunch in Feb. Seems it will be a nightmare to open with a company/business tho!

Edited by Bagwain
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Just confirming. Only applies to Thai PayPal accounts? Accounts registered in UK and elsewhere unaffected. Yes? Or will Ppal block the use of these if currently staying in Thailand?

I have an Oz PayPal account linked to an Oz bank account.  Never been a problem.  I have not received any email from PayPal.

I always use a VPN using some overseas server.  Changes all the time.  Also never a problem using PayPal.

I use Wise to transfer money to my KBank account here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Just confirming. Only applies to Thai PayPal accounts? Accounts registered in UK and elsewhere unaffected. Yes? Or will Ppal block the use of these if currently staying in Thailand?

Think we will have to wait and see.   Maybe its time to start firing up the VPN whenever I make my monthly login to PayPal to transfer the income to my UK bank account from my UK business PayPal account, although with these new regulations maybe PayPal could end up blocking VPNs as well to use their service if they want to avoid Thai residents getting around these new regulations.   

3 hours ago, cmsally said:

Only affects Thai PayPal accounts. If you have a UK (or USA etc.) PayPal account  you can still use it but if you need the money in Thailand you will have to find an alternative way to get it here.

UK Paypal has its own international transfer option called Xoom).  I don't know about US but I assume it's the same.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I teach online and get paid with PayPal. Fortunately it's a US acct. Goes to my US bank, then here to my LOS bank with Wise.

The online teaching company in their newsletter last week asked which other services we'd like to get paid with, I suspect that's related to this situation.

You might want to take the 5th, but it seems your payments undergo two currency exchanges en route to their final destination. So why not pay straight into your Thai bank?

This is a side effect because Thailand joins the OECD money reporting in 2023, but with test runs in 2022

I posted several warning post in the past Thailand preparing to join compleet the OECD money reporting in 2023   some laughed it away .....

"well your not laughing now anymore "    (Nigel Farage famous line in E.U. parliament  ????  ???? )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, edwardFuture said:

This is to discourage people working illegally here. I hope Wise follows too. For instance by allowing transfers from and to bank accounts under the same name only and with work permit.

OK, anyone foreigner residing in Thailand without a work permit can not make a foreign  transfer from the same name bank account . I will reserve my judgment on that . 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, kaneko86 said:

Omg... Now all the prostitutes and online video/chat/onlyfan girls have to get a 13 digit business registration number or back to western union?

Western Union has similar new regulations. Their pimps have partnered with other different online payment systems so they'll be just fine I think.

It is all a numbers game, Individuals no longer count. I recently sent money from my bank in Aus to my PayPal account - it took 5 days. No one to talk to, no one to fix it just, "sorry your experience has not been bla bla bla ...... we apologise"  from no-reply @paypal.com. Wise is less than sixty seconds to send money to Thailand although who knows in the future?

• Like 2

I find paypal good when I am buying something and do not want to use my credit card directly.  

Question though.  Can gf register a personal business (Amazon or such) and get a business number therefore make paypal a useful way of collecting funds.

What will businesses use in Thailand to collect payment from Thais

I wonder what all the gaming platforms are going to do! My Kids buy Robux and Vbucks using Mums Paypal (with her permissions) as they can't use my English Paypal. It's going to cost the companies some serious revenue unless they provide another payment route.

Edited by NVass

4 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

I find paypal good when I am buying something and do not want to use my credit card directly.  

Question though.  Can gf register a personal business (Amazon or such) and get a business number therefore make paypal a useful way of collecting funds.

What will businesses use in Thailand to collect payment from Thais

"What will businesses use in Thailand to collect payment from Thais "

You know ....Thai banks still exist ?...and very easy for Thais to have one or more  ...????  ????

Edited by david555