Will a Thai vet put dog to sleep

So sorry to hear about your loss. We had a 17 blind, deaf dog who was so bad at the end just going around in circles and we could not find a vet to put him down. I felt so bad as we had to watch him waste away. Thank God he’s in doggy heaven now and free from all the pain and misery. Always regret looking harder and trying to convince a vet to put him down but the ones we went to wouldn’t do it. At least now we know there are some out there should this happen again. 

• Like 1

Recently my dog become very weak. Vet told that it is blood parasite from tick bite. Two weeks of treatment didn't help. Dog became completely paralyzed, suffering from constant muscle spasms. So I decided to put her down and vet did it. I paid 4000 bhat for that.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

The issue about religion is moot. 

Since 2014 it is prohibited by law for a vet or anybody else to kill a healthy or treatable domestic animal. 

You appear to have forgotten the purpose of the OP in trying to push your own point of view.

We normally have around 60 cats and have 9 dogs at the moment, the animal welfare people visit us regularly so don't need any lectures on the situation.

• Like 2

My dog was put down in a hush hush maner, I had to travel out of BKK as they told me they would be watched more there. I did not have to pay but donated some money. I was happy my poor dog, my friend was put down as there was no hope for recovery and had been lying down for months unable to get up even for urinating and taking a dump. 

Then he stopped eating.. and after five days could hardly breath. I was so lucky as im sure he would have suffered on for days. But I looked actively for a vet and it was really hard. Found him through friends.. its really not that common for them to put them down.

• Like 2

On 11/20/2021 at 11:20 AM, cleopatra2 said:

The reluctance to put a dimestic animal to sleep is more about legalities than religion. 

Legislation enacted in 2014 prohibit the killing of an animal with specific exceptions. 

For domestic animals the vet needs to asses that the animal cannot be treated or unlikely to survive any treatment. 

See cruelty prevention welfare act. 

Your right about that the vet also talked about the law its almost impossible to satisfy it that is why they wont do it at all. Really sad actually.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bluetongue said:

I almost wish I hadn't started the topic. What was a very upsetting time has actually been made worse by the fact that no-one responded for a week and then you all came in 3 days after the dog died. Everything that happened is on my conscience but to be honest I knew the answer to mu own question anyway. The vet I go to saved a number of my dogs from Parvo, and I have a reasonable opinion of him, but since then he often palms me off on to the young female vet. She butchered my male dog's ear and I guess I was dubious that the good vet would do the operation as he obviously makes more money off his Thai clients with their poodles and toy dogs.

As a dog lover I hold with your views. Treatment for minor problems is fine but intervention in the case of tumors. compound fractures, etc in older animals are often a stop gap measure and does not necessarily relate to their previously happy wellbeing.

Why subject an animal to a substandard life, same for humans, when a quiet, gentle route would be so much easer for patient and loving carers.

Just a shame that there was little you could have done but it is done now. 

• Like 2

On 11/20/2021 at 12:08 PM, brianthainess said:

Due to not being able to transport my dog at the time, i got a local animal rescue place to take my dog to the vet, my dog would not eat then could not walk, they came back with my dog and told me she had a tumour, I asked if the vet would put her down, i was having to hold water to her mouth to drink, "No she will not- buddha" I watched her die for 3 weeks sitting with her as much as possible. Weeks after she died i took our cat to the vet, when i confronted her about it the vet then said ''Oh I would have put her down"

So I had been lied to by either the vet or the dog foundation. I will never know.

at the same time you didn't do a lot to avoid to let her suffer 3 weeks...

I would not be proud of myself if I was you.