My Thai wife was rejected for a B-2 (visitors) visa.

On 11/13/2021 at 6:40 AM, Fore Man said:

There must be a good reason they denied her.  Did she make it to the final interview at the Consulate?

My Thai wife had zero issues obtaining her visa, but we used a reputable agent in our prior home town of Chiang Mai. They made everything easy.  You might consider employing an agent to find out why your spouse was denied and then consider using them to start a new application. 

What kind of visa did your wife get? Mine just wants a B-2 for a short visit. 

On 11/13/2021 at 7:44 AM, DineshR said:

There should be no problems with getting a visa for your wife if you are legally married and provide all the required information. My wife got her 10 year visa with no issues. You should go back and check the application one more time to ensure you made no errors in the application and also review what happened at the interview to determine if there were any issues during that interview. You should try again but double check everything to make sure the application is flawless. Good luck !

was it a B-2 visa? I didn't fill out the DS-160 with her the first time. I will the next time. 

Thanks for all the responses:

To those that said that they got visa's for their wives easily, are you talking about about B-2 (visitor/tourist) visa? 

I am unfamiliar with the other visas based on marriage, immigrant status, green card. All I know is that any visa requiring us to move to live in the US for any longer than a month is out of the question. 

She didn't bring my passport. But my passport would have shown I have been in Thailand for 5 years without having gone back in that time.

To the people that suggest an agent. My wife dismissed that idea vehemently. saying (she had read on some Thai facebook groups) they are no good (she didn't say why). 

Yes, both my children are USA citizens born abroad, they got their CBRAs at the USA embassy in Bangkok

I work as a digital nomad (its a grey area). I transfer what I need to live from the USA to my Thai bank. Thai immigration never asks me how I get my money or where it comes from. She wasn't asked about my job by the US immigration officer. 

The denial is generic. No specific reason is given besides "ineligible under section 214(b)" (basically not enough proof she is certain to return to Thailand). 

One thing I didn't originally mention. She applied with her brother and her mother. Her brother is also a government teacher. My wife said applying as a group would more likely get them approved because it seems like a family trip (not a young woman trying to start a new life in America illegally).

To the person who wrote a government teacher is low pay and not prestigious. False on both counts (millions of Thais would kill for a government teacher job). Maybe for the USA immigration officer doesn't care, but she's not exactly a somtum seller. 

Edited by TomKorat33
more detail

6 minutes ago, TomKorat33 said:

Thanks for all the responses:

To those that said that they got visa's for their wives easily, are you talking about about B-2 (visitor/tourist) visa? 

I am unfamiliar with the other visas based on marriage, immigrant status, green card. All I know is that any visa requiring us to move to live in the US for any longer than a month is out of the question. 

She didn't bring my passport. But my passport would have shown I have been in Thailand for 5 years without having gone back in that time.

To the people that suggest an agent. My wife dismissed that idea strongly. saying (she had read on some Thai facebook groups) they are no good. 

I work as a digital nomad (its a grey area). I transfer what I need to live from the USA to my Thai bank. Thai immigration never asks me how I get my money or where it comes from. She wasn't asked about my job by the US immigration officer. 

One thing I didn't originally mention. She applied with her brother and her mother. Her brother is also a government teacher. My wife said applying as a group would more likely get them approved because it seems like a family trip (not a young woman trying to start a new life in America illegally).

To the person who wrote a government teacher is low pay. True, but she gets a decent pension (for thailand), guaranteed raises, can't be fired, rock-bottom interest loans, full-health insurance for the whole family, 4 of us (I was treated for testicular cancer at Khon Kaen hospital with zero out of pocket costs, also another reason I need to live in Thailand. I would not be eligible for private health coverage in America). The US immigration officer may not know all this but a government teacher is a job millions of Thai's would kill for, respectfully. 

1.  Family group with member married to American but absent said American likely not a good idea.

2.  Not presenting your ties to Thailand another red flag (visa is for her but your status effects chance of return).  Show of your passport could have helped.

3.  Gray work status not a positive factor - but seems not to have been presented.

4.  We who obtained were talking tourist visa being approved for Thai wife.

5.  The marriage visa talk would be immigrant visa where you plan to immigrate to USA to live (should not be for tourist travel but can be recommended even by Embassy) and requires full background data/check taking many months.  

• Like 1

There may some conflation in several of the posts with immigrant and non-immigrant visas.

As for non immigrant visas aka tourist visas B1/B2 we have been around this block so many times I've lost count.

Do a search and it seems totally incomprehensible why some tourist visas are approved and some rejected.

It seems a total <deleted> shoot if a tourist is approved or rejected.

Now if you want to talk immigrant visas that's different. K1/K3/CR-1/CR-2, check all the boxes and assuming there is no criminal issue or the like and it's 100% guaranteed approval.

Now in our case, granted years ago before we married my now wife applied for a tourist visa when all we wanted to do was visit since my daughter had just had a baby.

Good professional job, money in the bank, letter from employer granting her vacation, a US citizen son, etc etc...of course she was denied

Years later we wanted to move back to the US, got legally married, nothing else had changed, CR-1 sailed through without a hitch.

So I'm at a loss to give any advise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

1.  Family group with member married to American but absent said American likely not a good idea.

2.  Not presenting your ties to Thailand another red flag (visa is for her but your status effects chance of return).  Show of your passport could have helped.

3.  Gray work status not a positive factor - but seems not to have been presented.

4.  We who obtained were talking tourist visa being approved for Thai wife.

5.  The marriage visa talk would be immigrant visa where you plan to immigrate to USA to live (should not be for tourist travel but can be recommended even by Embassy) and requires full background data/check taking many months.  

1. I wouldn't be allowed at the interview under any circumstance. 

2. I was mistaken. She had my passport, but was not asked to show it. 

3. agree

4. Ok, thats good to know. That a tourist visa is at least possible. 

5. right, not what we are seeking. Just want a short visit. 

thanks. 

Edited by TomKorat33
more info

I will add my voice to others who have said that they are probably more interested in what you are doing in Thailand and if it looks like you will want to stay here and not move back to the US. And, she has to convince the consular officer of that in the 3-5 minute interview.

Her stable job, assets, etc. would probably be more influential in the process if she was not married to an American.

In my experience, using an agent is a waste of money. They very likely don't have an "in" at the consulate. You can fill out the application yourself and get plenty of good advice for free.

I'd be happy to share more about my own recent experiences with this issue. PM me if interested. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TomKorat33 said:

1. I wouldn't be allowed at the interview under any circumstance. 

Actually meaning was could look as if a mass migration rather than husband/wife taking child to see grandparents.  As for interview I was outside and called in to explain reason had applied for immigrant visa and not used it.  Admit this was years ago and we were allowed to sit outside so might not have happened today.

• Like 1

I don't really think they give a real reason for denial.  I think 80% of the answer is determined before the 5 min interview.  I am one who has had 4 women try to get a B2. Last one, now wife (low 40's but looks 36) now here on K1 was denied in 2018 which was the trump era.  She hadn't traveled much, no assets, maybe more importantly no debt, no kids, good looking, nice body, decent English.  K1 took 15 months and we were lucky.  The other 3 we're pre documented trump immagration slowdown. Other 2 had lots of assets and money and not ones to become successful sex workers and probably welcome to being money into USA.  One was a school director, heavily in debt with kids, house, car.  Hot body but not eye candy that would lease easily.  I've read most times the interviewer never looks at any documents presented at the interview.   The law states it is the main job of immagration to stop those who may staying USA.  

Looking at it this way.  We now have new info it was a family unit of 3 all related to the wife of an American who had 2 kids with dual passports.  Man's career, job is nomad so he can work from anywhere.   Hmm.  They all come to USA, why return.  Man sponsor's wife and family members for AOS and if he has the income and they have clean backgrounds they would most likely qualify.   Wife's assets could be sold.   Even if she forfeits her government pension USA is quite attractive destination to many.  

I've heard agents for K1 charge up near 100,000 baht and they can only advise you.  They don't have ins.    There are Facebook groups with great info and real time inputs on who is where in visa processes.  Sometimes wife knew better than me from my reading.  Some women talk to Thai workers in the embassy and post tidbits of info.   It really helped us know what covid restrictions we're doing to embassy processes and interviews.   

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Looking at it this way.  We now have new info it was a family unit of 3 all related to the wife of an American who had 2 kids with dual passports.  Man's career, job is nomad so he can work from anywhere.   Hmm.  They all come to USA, why return.  Man sponsor's wife and family members for AOS and if he has the income and they have clean backgrounds they would most likely qualify.   Wife's assets could be sold.   Even if she forfeits her government pension USA is quite attractive destination to many.  

I make 2500 dollars a month. Great for Thailand but pretty much poverty level in America. Also, I had cancer. Treated in Thailand thanks to my wife's health insurance as a government employee.  In remission now but I still go to Khon Kaen hospital every 3 to 6 months for check ups. If I moved to America, and the cancer came back, I'd be a dead man. I can't get private insurance in America having had cancer. Should I include these details? 

Also, why is it better to show debt than to show assets? We own two cars outright. Should we not even mention that? 

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

I don't really think they give a real reason for denial.  I think 80% of the answer is determined before the 5 min interview. 

The girlfriend was denied twice in BKK. Granted B2 visa at third interview once I provided an employment contract. While in the US, I contacted US CBP and was told the visa approvals are based on a quota system. So yes, there is surely a percentage, perhaps a great percentage of applicants that will be denied and the decision was made prior to them even getting to the interviewers window. The representative even stated that it is common place that immigration officials at the airports are not impressed with a percentage, hate to say it, but the quality of the approved applicants that arrive at their booth requesting entry. 

We all must remember that the approved visa doesn't guarantee entry. The man/woman at the kiosk at the airport makes the final decision.

Many have stated the BKK consulate is difficult to receive approval and I agree. We were told, through her network of friends/associates that it would be better to apply at the Laos consulate. Her and her 12 yr old son were granted 10 year B2 visas at the first interview. 

• 1 month later...

@TomKorat33Apologies Tom ... I never did see your question to me (last Nov ...earlier in this thread). It was a B1/B2 visa. I hope you got your visa issues sorted out. Just some additional info if it is of any use to you.

1. Though my wife (and her son - applied separately for the same trip where we all flew together) both got 10 year visas, when you do finally make the trip, they usually get 6 month stay approvals ... meaning there are allowed to stay for 6 months from date of entry.

2. In a previous life when I had an invalid wife (now deceased), I was able to get B1/B2 visas for 5 different nurse aides to accompany my wife and I back to the US whenever I went back home. The nurse aides came along to help me with my wife. I had no trouble on every occasion over a span of almost 10 years in getting visas for every nurse aide that I had. And they all got 6 month stay approvals whenever we went even if it was only for a month trip.

3. I always wrote cover letters for every application and I had the nurse aides carry that letter with them when they went for the interview. Never had to use an agent.

PM me if you need any further detail if in need of any help.

On 11/13/2021 at 1:53 PM, 86Tiger said:

I will agree with this.  I call it going nuclear. 

A congressman or senator phone call to State will get more done in shortest amount of time than any thing known.  No one wants to be subject of congressional inquiry for any reason.  No low to middle level government employee wants any attention what so ever from higher ups.

And if your congressman is in an election year great and wonderous things can be achieved.

Not at all what I found, as far as the Embassy staff goes they have pretty much free run. We are a U.S. registered non-profit and applied for a J1 for one of our staff. We used one of the approved foreign exchange agencies in the States and became approved exchange hosts. It cost a lot of money and a lot of time, then the U.S. Embassy here rejected her visa. We appealed to the foreign exchange agency and they sent a letter for the Embassy staff explaining that she had been pre-approved for the visa. The Embassy staff (a different person) refused to read the letter and rejected her visa application again.

The exchange agency then placed a call to a Senator and also the State Department to protest, they told me they were told "we have very little control over the Embassy staff's decisions and are unable to interfere".   

Edited by Lee4Life

I didn’t see it mentioned explicitly yet, but it is probably the #1 reason for rejecting a B2 visa for a spouse of a US citizen… and that is the risk that she may attempt to immigrate to the US on a non-immigrant visa.

It is a well known ploy for a couple that visits the US to try and switch to a immigrant visa after they arrive. This is technically not allowed, but if the couple can prove their was no intent to do this at the time the spouse entered the US on the non-immigrant visa… it is possible to get away with it, and this avoids prolonged time apart as a family.

In view of this, I would provide more evidence that proves your intention to remain permanently in Thailand.

Edited by ujongjoe

OP try again but this time without her mother and brother, your wife easily qualifies for a tourist visa, the in-laws do not.

Edited by bbko

• 1 year later...

@TomKorat33 I wanted to share my experience with you.  I have a similar case to yours but mine was approved back in January of 2023.  For reference, my wife is 32 and we have two young children (age 4 and 1) together, both registered in Bangkok through the CRBA process.  She is a Thai government teacher.  She was denied a tourist visa back in 2017 before we were married.  I'm 35 and been living in Thailand for 8 years, also as a teacher.  Like you, we didn't want to live in the US so the B1/B2 visa was the best option for her.  I filled out the application myself.  After reading about your case here, I was really nervous that she would be denied too.  But to my surprise, she was approved.  I think the only thing we did different from you is that she applied by herself and not as a group.  According to my wife, the staff didn't look at any of her documents or ask any questions about me.  I encourage you to do it again but maybe without her brother and mother this time.  Good luck.

On 11/14/2021 at 9:00 PM, TomKorat33 said:

What kind of visa did your wife get? Mine just wants a B-2 for a short visit. 

So, TomKorat, in the end what happened?

I'm also curious about visa agents -- seem like a scam to me, but if anyone has good info on the value they provide, I'd appreciate it.

On 8/7/2023 at 1:56 PM, ChicagoExpat said:

So, TomKorat, in the end what happened?

I'm also curious about visa agents -- seem like a scam to me, but if anyone has good info on the value they provide, I'd appreciate it.

When it comes to Thais applying for U.S. tourist visas, I think the best any paid agent can do is make sure the applicants have filled out all the info correctly and  followed all the required steps.

AFAIK, other than that, agents have no role in improving one's chances of success with the U.S. Embassy. They can't even go inside when the Thai citizen goes in for their Embassy interview, nor can the American spouse.

It's not like Thai Immigration, where agents have the ability to smooth over certain things.

When my  Thai wife got her US tourist visa several years back, the Embassy staff who interviewed her were little interested in her various personal financial details (even though we provided them all), and were MOST interested in my history of residence in Thailand, specifically, my long series of annual retirement extensions here.

In fact, they wanted her to present my U.S. passport so they could see all the various extension stamps, as an indicator of my/our ongoing Thailand residence.

Also helpful was a letter of invitation written by my parents in the U.S. at the time inviting my Thai wife to come to visit and stay with them -- a letter that was submitted as part of her application package, and a copy she carried with her to her Embassy interview.

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

When my  Thai wife got her US tourist visa several years back, the Embassy staff who interviewed her were little interested in her various personal financial details (even though we provided them all), and were MOST interested in my history of residence in Thailand, specifically, my long series of annual retirement extensions here.

In fact, they wanted her to present my U.S. passport so they could see all the various extension stamps, as an indicator of my/our ongoing Thailand residence.

Also helpful was a letter of invitation written by my parents in the U.S. at the time inviting my Thai wife to come to visit and stay with them -- a letter that was submitted as part of her application package, and a copy she carried with her to her Embassy interview.

Indeed evidence of the visa not being a shortcut to long term stay - or if not married getting so.  In our case key factor was we had applied for INS entry after marriage and been approved - but said forget it and did not apply for the immigrant visa and decided to live here - several years later applied for tourist visa and immediately approved when official read INS approval documents and learned we decided to live in Thailand.  I was in the waiting area with documents and official asked wife to have me come to window with them.  So the more evidence of making a life here the better.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I was in the waiting area with documents and official asked wife to have me come to window with them. 

Surprised they'd let you in for the wife's interview, Lopburi (albeit at the request of the Embassy officer doing the interview)... How long ago was that encounter?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Surprised they'd let you in for the wife's interview, Lopburi (albeit at the request of the Embassy officer doing the interview)... How long ago was that encounter?

Many moons ago - believe about 22-24 years.  But physical set up seems to be about the same - you enter Thai area but turn right path to American Citizen area - not much change since they opened in the late 70's.  

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Many moons ago - believe about 22-24 years.  But physical set up seems to be about the same - you enter Thai area but turn right path to American Citizen area - not much change since they opened in the late 70's.  

AFAIK, in recent years, they've become much more strict and restrictive about allowing third parties into the secured areas of the Embassy/ACS service areas. Part of their whole heightened security measures because of terrorism threats, etc.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

It makes sense that they would want to see that the American husband is here long term and not, as others have said, trying to shortcut the immigration process by using a tourist visa.

And I'm glad some slimy visa agent doesn't seem to be able to inject themselves in the immigration process beyond application help.

Edited by ChicagoExpat
addendum

On 8/9/2023 at 5:26 PM, lopburi3 said:

If you drive past the building now you can see a construction site -- looks like they're finally building a new building.

1 minute ago, ChicagoExpat said:

If you drive past the building now you can see a construction site -- looks like they're finally building a new building.

Well that was an extension on the Embassy building and Consulate moved into it in the late 70's.  The Embassy building had to be raised at least one time to get it above the normal flood levels.  The current Embassy compound was an apartment complex for Embassy employees before they built the new building there.  It has been several years since in that area.

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Well that was an extension on the Embassy building and Consulate moved into it in the late 70's.  The Embassy building had to be raised at least one time to get it above the normal flood levels.  The current Embassy compound was an apartment complex for Embassy employees before they built the new building there.  It has been several years since in that area.

That's interesting info -- wow you have the long view.  Let's hope the new place has an enclosed waiting area -- however nice the view of the klong is.